PDA

View Full Version : Routine lead to overtaining?

Robert Duffy
June 27th 04, 03:30 PM
Hi,

I've just started a new routine. I'm planning to stick with this for 12
weeks to get back in shape so I can go back to Judo training. Since
quitting a couple of years ago I've put on some weight, but my normal build
is slight. So I'm hoping to end up weighing what I do now with a better
mass-to-muscle ratio. I just joined a gym, had an earlier thread about it,
and I have found it's a lot easier to get into a routine now. Thing is a
mate of mine who is into this stuff had a look at what I'm doing and he
thinks I'm taking on too much, and will probably find myself overtraing in a
couple of weeks. Just wondered if anyone had any comment son this?

I'm currently cycling weights with cardio. So I'll hit weights on
mon-wed-fri, and do cardio on tues-thurs-sat. I got the weights routine
recommended to me by a mate. He said he can't remember where he got it, but
he started out on that and it worked well. Details are as below.

Mon - Shoulders

Overhead Press - 3 sets, 5 to 10 reps

Barbell Rows - 2 sets, 5 to 10 reps

Dumbell Shrugs - 2 sets, 20 reps

Power Cleans - 2 sets, 10 reps

Wed - Leg & Chest

Squats - 1 set, 20 reps

Leg Press - 3 sets, 5 to 10 reps

Bench Press - 2 to 3 sets, 10-20 reps

Fri - Arms & Back

Triceps Extensions - 2 to 3 sets, 10-20 reps

Standing Barbell Curls - 2 to 3 sets 10-20 reps

Dead Lift - 1 set, 10-20 reps

Inbetween days I'm hitting the cardio machines, usually on one of the
interval programs. I also do some chin-up, dips, etc on the cardio days.

Any comments?

Robert Duffy
June 28th 04, 03:47 AM
Well I'm doing at least one compound lift per day. What would you cut out?

> I don't think it will lead to overtraining but I think the order of the
days
> and the individual exercises is a little off. If you are just starting
back
> to lifting you are probably better off with a simpler full body routine
that
> you can do 3 days a week. Keep it limited to basic compound movements-
> squats, deadlifts, pressing of some sort, rowing. Forget the isolation
work
> for now, that isn't going to put muscle on you.

Robert Duffy
June 28th 04, 03:47 AM
Well I'm doing at least one compound lift per day. What would you cut out?

> I don't think it will lead to overtraining but I think the order of the
days
> and the individual exercises is a little off. If you are just starting
back
> to lifting you are probably better off with a simpler full body routine
that
> you can do 3 days a week. Keep it limited to basic compound movements-
> squats, deadlifts, pressing of some sort, rowing. Forget the isolation
work
> for now, that isn't going to put muscle on you.

Robert Duffy
June 29th 04, 01:22 AM
Well I'm pretty much doing that at the moment really aren't I? I'm
dead-lifting, squating or power-cleaning every day. After that I do some
other body part. I thought the point of a three day a week routine was to
hit each body part once per week. Or is that something for down the road?

"Pat Styles" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Robert Duffy" > wrote in message
> > Well I'm doing at least one compound lift per day. What would you cut
out?

> > > I don't think it will lead to overtraining but I think the order of
the
> > days
> > > and the individual exercises is a little off. If you are just starting
> > back
> > > to lifting you are probably better off with a simpler full body
routine
> > that
> > > you can do 3 days a week. Keep it limited to basic compound movements-
> > > squats, deadlifts, pressing of some sort, rowing. Forget the isolation
> > work
> > > for now, that isn't going to put muscle on you.
>
> Well, I'm not Dan, but I think what he's saying is more or less, "Squat,
press,
> row, and go home." That might be a bit extreme, but you get a pretty
solid and
> complete workout from it. Go ahead and throw in some bi and tri work,
plus some
> calves and abs, and you are really set. A good way to modify that is to
> alternate days with squat and dl as the main movement. Pick your poison
on the
> press, overhead, flat, incline, if you are so inclined. You can also have
> variety for the row, bb, db, seated, chest supported, pull up/chin up, if
you
> want.
> ps

Hugh Beyer
June 29th 04, 01:37 AM
"Robert Duffy" > wrote in
:

> Hi,
>
> I've just started a new routine. I'm planning to stick with this for 12
> weeks to get back in shape so I can go back to Judo training. Since
> quitting a couple of years ago I've put on some weight, but my normal
> build is slight. So I'm hoping to end up weighing what I do now with a
> better mass-to-muscle ratio. I just joined a gym, had an earlier thread
> about it, and I have found it's a lot easier to get into a routine now.
> Thing is a mate of mine who is into this stuff had a look at what I'm
> doing and he thinks I'm taking on too much, and will probably find
> myself overtraing in a couple of weeks. Just wondered if anyone had any
> comment son this?
>
> I'm currently cycling weights with cardio. So I'll hit weights on
> mon-wed-fri, and do cardio on tues-thurs-sat. I got the weights routine
> recommended to me by a mate. He said he can't remember where he got it,
> but he started out on that and it worked well. Details are as below.
>

> Mon - Shoulders
>
> Overhead Press - 3 sets, 5 to 10 reps
>
> Barbell Rows - 2 sets, 5 to 10 reps
>
> Dumbell Shrugs - 2 sets, 20 reps
>
> Power Cleans - 2 sets, 10 reps
>

> Wed - Leg & Chest
>
> Squats - 1 set, 20 reps
>
> Leg Press - 3 sets, 5 to 10 reps
>
> Bench Press - 2 to 3 sets, 10-20 reps
>

> Fri - Arms & Back
>
> Triceps Extensions - 2 to 3 sets, 10-20 reps
>
> Standing Barbell Curls - 2 to 3 sets 10-20 reps
>
> Dead Lift - 1 set, 10-20 reps
>
> Inbetween days I'm hitting the cardio machines, usually on one of the
> interval programs. I also do some chin-up, dips, etc on the cardio days.
>
> Any comments?

Your mate's a dope. Both of them.

You're not likely to overtrain on that. I think you're more likely to
detrain between sessions.

Have a look at some of the routines here:
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html -- ignore/enjoy the girlie stuff.

And read this about your HIT-style sparse split vs. whole-body routines:
http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html

Hugh

--
Help! My myofibrillar material is disorganized!

Hugh Beyer
June 29th 04, 01:37 AM
"Robert Duffy" > wrote in
:

> Hi,
>
> I've just started a new routine. I'm planning to stick with this for 12
> weeks to get back in shape so I can go back to Judo training. Since
> quitting a couple of years ago I've put on some weight, but my normal
> build is slight. So I'm hoping to end up weighing what I do now with a
> better mass-to-muscle ratio. I just joined a gym, had an earlier thread
> about it, and I have found it's a lot easier to get into a routine now.
> Thing is a mate of mine who is into this stuff had a look at what I'm
> doing and he thinks I'm taking on too much, and will probably find
> myself overtraing in a couple of weeks. Just wondered if anyone had any
> comment son this?
>
> I'm currently cycling weights with cardio. So I'll hit weights on
> mon-wed-fri, and do cardio on tues-thurs-sat. I got the weights routine
> recommended to me by a mate. He said he can't remember where he got it,
> but he started out on that and it worked well. Details are as below.
>

> Mon - Shoulders
>
> Overhead Press - 3 sets, 5 to 10 reps
>
> Barbell Rows - 2 sets, 5 to 10 reps
>
> Dumbell Shrugs - 2 sets, 20 reps
>
> Power Cleans - 2 sets, 10 reps
>

> Wed - Leg & Chest
>
> Squats - 1 set, 20 reps
>
> Leg Press - 3 sets, 5 to 10 reps
>
> Bench Press - 2 to 3 sets, 10-20 reps
>

> Fri - Arms & Back
>
> Triceps Extensions - 2 to 3 sets, 10-20 reps
>
> Standing Barbell Curls - 2 to 3 sets 10-20 reps
>
> Dead Lift - 1 set, 10-20 reps
>
> Inbetween days I'm hitting the cardio machines, usually on one of the
> interval programs. I also do some chin-up, dips, etc on the cardio days.
>
> Any comments?

Your mate's a dope. Both of them.

You're not likely to overtrain on that. I think you're more likely to
detrain between sessions.

Have a look at some of the routines here:
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html -- ignore/enjoy the girlie stuff.

And read this about your HIT-style sparse split vs. whole-body routines:
http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html

Hugh

--
Help! My myofibrillar material is disorganized!

Robert Duffy
June 29th 04, 01:43 AM
Right. So if I redid my workout as this three times a week?

(Deadlift/Squat/Power Clean)

Overhead Press - 3 sets, 5 to 10 reps

Barbell Rows - 2 sets, 5 to 10 reps

Bench Press - 2 to 3 sets, 10-20 reps

Triceps Extensions - 2 to 3 sets, 10-20 reps

Standing Barbell Curls - 2 to 3 sets 10-20 reps

Dumbell Shrugs - 2 sets, 20 reps

DanL
June 29th 04, 02:31 AM
> [...]

> Leg Press - 3 sets, 5 to 10 reps
>
> Bench Press - 2 to 3 sets, 10-20 reps
>

> Fri - Arms & Back
>
> Triceps Extensions - 2 to 3 sets, 10-20 reps
>
> Standing Barbell Curls - 2 to 3 sets 10-20 reps
>
> Dead Lift - 1 set, 10-20 reps
>
> Inbetween days I'm hitting the cardio machines, usually on one of the
> interval programs. I also do some chin-up, dips, etc on the cardio days.
>
> Any comments?

I don't think it will lead to overtraining but I think the order of the days
and the individual exercises is a little off. If you are just starting back
to lifting you are probably better off with a simpler full body routine that
you can do 3 days a week. Keep it limited to basic compound movements-
squats, deadlifts, pressing of some sort, rowing. Forget the isolation work
for now, that isn't going to put muscle on you.

Pat Styles
June 29th 04, 03:06 PM
"Robert Duffy" > wrote in message
> Well I'm doing at least one compound lift per day. What would you cut out?
>

> > I don't think it will lead to overtraining but I think the order of the
> days
> > and the individual exercises is a little off. If you are just starting
> back
> > to lifting you are probably better off with a simpler full body routine
> that
> > you can do 3 days a week. Keep it limited to basic compound movements-
> > squats, deadlifts, pressing of some sort, rowing. Forget the isolation
> work
> > for now, that isn't going to put muscle on you.

Well, I'm not Dan, but I think what he's saying is more or less, "Squat, press,
row, and go home." That might be a bit extreme, but you get a pretty solid and
complete workout from it. Go ahead and throw in some bi and tri work, plus some
calves and abs, and you are really set. A good way to modify that is to
alternate days with squat and dl as the main movement. Pick your poison on the
press, overhead, flat, incline, if you are so inclined. You can also have
variety for the row, bb, db, seated, chest supported, pull up/chin up, if you
want.
ps

B Walker
June 29th 04, 03:14 PM
Robert Duffy wrote:
> Well I'm doing at least one compound lift per day. What would you cut out?

Why squat and leg press?

--
DoD# 2223, OFCC #3122
Meum scapha volitare plenum anguillae

DanL
June 29th 04, 04:39 PM
"Pat Styles" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Well, I'm not Dan, but I think what he's saying is more or less, "Squat,
press,
> row, and go home." That might be a bit extreme, but you get a pretty
solid and
> complete workout from it.

That's it!

DanL
June 30th 04, 01:35 AM
"Robert Duffy" > wrote in message
> Well I'm pretty much doing that at the moment really aren't I? I'm
> dead-lifting, squating or power-cleaning every day. After that I do some
> other body part. I thought the point of a three day a week routine was to
> hit each body part once per week. Or is that something for down the road?

The purpose of a 3 day full body routine is to hit your entire body each
workout. The once a week stuff is better after you've created a solid
foundation for yourself.

Pat Styles
June 30th 04, 03:10 PM
"DanL" > wrote in message

> "Pat Styles" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > Well, I'm not Dan, but I think what he's saying is more or less, "Squat,
> press,
> > row, and go home." That might be a bit extreme, but you get a pretty
> solid and
> > complete workout from it.
>
> That's it!

Oh, no, I am Dan. ;-)