PDA

View Full Version : Getting stronger but more flabby

duckjibe
July 1st 04, 08:34 AM
I gained 7 lbs in the last 3 months after switching to heavy compound
movements and reducing workout frequency. I went from 3 sessions per
week to 1 session per 5 days of very heavy lifts and low reps. The
mass and strentgh gains are noticeable. I look better with the shirt
on, it filled out nicely.. but with the shirt off, it's another story.
The flabs are coming back around my stomach and lower chest. My ab is
a lot stronger but the once semi-visible 6 pack is now completely
obscure.. What's the trick to staying strong with heavy lifts and
burning enough calories to keep the fat down?..

Wayne S. Hill
July 1st 04, 01:42 PM
duckjibe wrote:

> I gained 7 lbs in the last 3 months after switching to heavy
> compound movements and reducing workout frequency. I went
> from 3 sessions per week to 1 session per 5 days of very
> heavy lifts and low reps. The mass and strentgh gains are
> noticeable. I look better with the shirt on, it filled out
> nicely.. but with the shirt off, it's another story. The
> flabs are coming back around my stomach and lower chest. My
> ab is a lot stronger but the once semi-visible 6 pack is now
> completely obscure.. What's the trick to staying strong with
> heavy lifts and burning enough calories to keep the fat
> down?..

Eat less.

--
-Wayne

Jeff Finlayson
July 1st 04, 02:07 PM
duckjibe wrote:

> I gained 7 lbs in the last 3 months after switching to heavy compound
> movements and reducing workout frequency. I went from 3 sessions per
> week to 1 session per 5 days of very heavy lifts and low reps.

Only 1 workout every 5 days (almost 3 in 2 weeks). These must be
full body workouts.

> The
> mass and strentgh gains are noticeable. I look better with the shirt
> on, it filled out nicely.. but with the shirt off, it's another story.
> The flabs are coming back around my stomach and lower chest. My ab is
> a lot stronger but the once semi-visible 6 pack is now completely
> obscure.. What's the trick to staying strong with heavy lifts and
> burning enough calories to keep the fat down?..

Watch what you eat more. Keep calories at a maintenance level.
Excess calories aren't required for lifting heavy and gaining
strength.

Larry Hodges
July 1st 04, 05:31 PM
duckjibe wrote:
> I gained 7 lbs in the last 3 months after switching to heavy compound
> movements and reducing workout frequency. I went from 3 sessions per
> week to 1 session per 5 days of very heavy lifts and low reps. The
> mass and strentgh gains are noticeable. I look better with the shirt
> on, it filled out nicely.. but with the shirt off, it's another story.
> The flabs are coming back around my stomach and lower chest. My ab is
> a lot stronger but the once semi-visible 6 pack is now completely
> obscure.. What's the trick to staying strong with heavy lifts and
> burning enough calories to keep the fat down?..

If you don't want to lift more than you are currently, why don't you do
cardio on your off days?
--
-Larry

duckjibe
July 1st 04, 11:35 PM
So I need to either eat less or do more cardio or both. I was afraid
these would compromise my mass and strenght gains. I guess it would be
alright if I don't bulk up too fast as long as I get stronger and
maintain low BF%. Hope the mass I gained was not all fat.

I looked at the power lifters and they're all fat so I thought there
could be a correlation between being strong and being chubby. Guess
that's the trade off between weightlifting and bodybuilding. Anyone
here who is both strong like a weightlifter and good looking like a
bodybuilder?

Jeff Finlayson
July 2nd 04, 01:01 AM
duckjibe wrote:

> So I need to either eat less or do more cardio or both. I was afraid
> these would compromise my mass and strenght gains. I guess it would be
> alright if I don't bulk up too fast as long as I get stronger and
> maintain low BF%. Hope the mass I gained was not all fat.
>
> I looked at the power lifters and they're all fat so I thought there
> could be a correlation between being strong and being chubby.

Maybe the ones in the heaviest weight classes, but definietly not
all of them.

Jim Ranieri
July 2nd 04, 01:02 AM
"duckjibe" > wrote in message
m...
> So I need to either eat less or do more cardio or both. I was afraid
> these would compromise my mass and strenght gains. I guess it would be
> alright if I don't bulk up too fast as long as I get stronger and
> maintain low BF%. Hope the mass I gained was not all fat.
>
> I looked at the power lifters and they're all fat so I thought there
> could be a correlation between being strong and being chubby. Guess
> that's the trade off between weightlifting and bodybuilding. Anyone
> here who is both strong like a weightlifter and good looking like a
> bodybuilder?

You rang?

; )

Jeff Finlayson
July 2nd 04, 01:08 AM
Jeff Finlayson wrote:
> duckjibe wrote:
>
>> So I need to either eat less or do more cardio or both. I was afraid
>> these would compromise my mass and strenght gains. I guess it would be
>> alright if I don't bulk up too fast as long as I get stronger and
>> maintain low BF%. Hope the mass I gained was not all fat.
>>
>> I looked at the power lifters and they're all fat so I thought there
>> could be a correlation between being strong and being chubby.
>
> Maybe the ones in the heaviest weight classes, but definietly not
> all of them.

Actually there's been some lean heavy PLers, like Captain Kirk, Kaz
and others. So make that 'Maybe some of the ones in the heaviest..'.

duckjibe
July 2nd 04, 07:15 AM
"Jim Ranieri" > wrote in message >...
> "duckjibe" > wrote in message
> m...
> > So I need to either eat less or do more cardio or both. I was afraid
> > these would compromise my mass and strenght gains. I guess it would be
> > alright if I don't bulk up too fast as long as I get stronger and
> > maintain low BF%. Hope the mass I gained was not all fat.
> >
> > I looked at the power lifters and they're all fat so I thought there
> > could be a correlation between being strong and being chubby. Guess
> > that's the trade off between weightlifting and bodybuilding. Anyone
> > here who is both strong like a weightlifter and good looking like a
> > bodybuilder?
>

> You rang?
>
> ; )

Yeah, so how do you manage to stay strong and good looking at the same
time, lifting heavy with cardio, eating less, ect... Btw, we need
pictorial proof before you can answer the question. :)

Jim Ranieri
July 2nd 04, 01:40 PM
"duckjibe" > wrote in message
om...
> "Jim Ranieri" > wrote in message
> > "duckjibe" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > So I need to either eat less or do more cardio or both. I was afraid
> > > these would compromise my mass and strenght gains. I guess it would be
> > > alright if I don't bulk up too fast as long as I get stronger and
> > > maintain low BF%. Hope the mass I gained was not all fat.
> > >
> > > I looked at the power lifters and they're all fat so I thought there
> > > could be a correlation between being strong and being chubby. Guess
> > > that's the trade off between weightlifting and bodybuilding. Anyone
> > > here who is both strong like a weightlifter and good looking like a
> > > bodybuilder?
> >

> > You rang?
> >
> > ; )
>
> Yeah, so how do you manage to stay strong and good looking at the same
> time, lifting heavy with cardio, eating less, ect... Btw, we need
> pictorial proof before you can answer the question. :)

The truth of the matter is, the only way to remain strong and ripped without
having to obsess about calories - is to have Carthaginian ancestry. Have you
ever seen a lean, strong Scot or Swede? No. They get plenty strong but
always carry some extra tonnage. So, unless you want to become a calorie
obsessed freak, learn to accept your flabiness.