PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Workout Questions (Warning I use Dumbells and a Bowflex)

Bill Eddings
July 4th 04, 04:16 PM
Yes I own a Bowflex. (If you think it is a piece of overpriced
crap then stop reading now)
If you are still reading this then thank you.
I have been working out for 3 months now.
I am 6'1" and have gone from 276 to 250 pounds and gone from a 130
bench to a 200 bench in this time. According to the scale I am also
down 4% body fat.

My workout is as follows
Benchpress on Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
Chest Fly on Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
Shoulder Press Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
Laterial Raise Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
Front Raise Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
Reverse Fly Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
Wide Grip Pulldown Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
Normal Grip Pullup Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
Tricep Pulldown Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
Bicep Curl Dumbell 12 reps or faillure 1 set
Hammer Curl Dumbell 12 reps or faillure 1 set
Excercise bike 5 miles 3x per week

When I can complete 12 reps I go up in weight. I will do an extra
set in problem areas. If I am not getting gains. 3 minutes between
sets.

This program has been working for me up until now. I am no longer
making progress in my shoulder workout, and my biceps and tricep areas
are increasing slowly.

I take creatine once a day in the morning and then right after a
workout. I get plenty of protien at least 150 grams per day. I was
taking Hydroycut for the last 2 months (a little more energy but nothing
else) I just started taking exadrine zrg (probably won't work either)

Any advice you can give would be greatly Appreciated.

A 36 year old fatty who wants to finally be in shape,
Bill E.

Lyle McDonald
July 4th 04, 04:24 PM
Bill Eddings wrote:
> Yes I own a Bowflex. (If you think it is a piece of overpriced
> crap then stop reading now)
> If you are still reading this then thank you.
> I have been working out for 3 months now.
> I am 6'1" and have gone from 276 to 250 pounds and gone from a 130
> bench to a 200 bench in this time. According to the scale I am also
> down 4% body fat.
>
> My workout is as follows
> Benchpress on Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Chest Fly on Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Shoulder Press Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Laterial Raise Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Front Raise Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Reverse Fly Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Wide Grip Pulldown Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Normal Grip Pullup Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Tricep Pulldown Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Bicep Curl Dumbell 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Hammer Curl Dumbell 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Excercise bike 5 miles 3x per week
>
> When I can complete 12 reps I go up in weight. I will do an extra
> set in problem areas. If I am not getting gains. 3 minutes between
> sets.
>
> This program has been working for me up until now. I am no longer
> making progress in my shoulder workout, and my biceps and tricep areas
> are increasing slowly.

How often are you doing the above workout?
Also realize that as chest/back 'poundages' go up, you'll be more
fatigued by the time you get to shoudlers/arms.

Lyle

Proton Soup
July 4th 04, 04:41 PM
On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:43:44 -0500, John Hanson
> wrote:

>On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:16:49 -0500, Bill Eddings > wrote in
>misc.fitness.weights:
>
>> Yes I own a Bowflex. (If you think it is a piece of overpriced
>>crap then stop reading now)
>> If you are still reading this then thank you.
>> I have been working out for 3 months now.
>> I am 6'1" and have gone from 276 to 250 pounds and gone from a 130
>>bench to a 200 bench in this time. According to the scale I am also
>>down 4% body fat.
>>
>How do you know if your bench is 200 if you aren't using free weights?

Just wondering, is that 200 at the top of the range of motion, the
bottom, or a constant 200 throughout?

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

John Hanson
July 4th 04, 04:43 PM
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:16:49 -0500, Bill Eddings > wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

> Yes I own a Bowflex. (If you think it is a piece of overpriced
>crap then stop reading now)
> If you are still reading this then thank you.
> I have been working out for 3 months now.
> I am 6'1" and have gone from 276 to 250 pounds and gone from a 130
>bench to a 200 bench in this time. According to the scale I am also
>down 4% body fat.

How do you know if your bench is 200 if you aren't using free weights?

Paul Cassel
July 4th 04, 05:08 PM
Bill Eddings wrote:
> Yes I own a Bowflex. (If you think it is a piece of overpriced
> crap then stop reading now)
> If you are still reading this then thank you.
> I have been working out for 3 months now.
> I am 6'1" and have gone from 276 to 250 pounds and gone from a 130
> bench to a 200 bench in this time. According to the scale I am also
> down 4% body fat.

I figured that rather than being down 4% chicken fat.

> My workout is as follows
> Benchpress on Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Chest Fly on Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Shoulder Press Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Laterial Raise Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Front Raise Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Reverse Fly Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Wide Grip Pulldown Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Normal Grip Pullup Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Tricep Pulldown Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Bicep Curl Dumbell 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Hammer Curl Dumbell 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> Excercise bike 5 miles 3x per week
>
> When I can complete 12 reps I go up in weight. I will do an extra
> set in problem areas. If I am not getting gains. 3 minutes between
> sets.
>
> This program has been working for me up until now. I am no longer
> making progress in my shoulder workout, and my biceps and tricep areas
> are increasing slowly.

Since your shoulder isn't progressing, try something different such as
Arnolds or just don't do anything for two weeks then return. Sometimes doing
nothing works because you need recovery as well as stress. Also try varying
your routine as to reps and sets. Everything works; nothing works forever.
Try varying speed of reps, number of reps, sets, etc. This always one set of
12 reps will put you in a rut and retard your progress, IMO.

> I take creatine once a day in the morning and then right after a
> workout. I get plenty of protien at least 150 grams per day. I was
> taking Hydroycut for the last 2 months (a little more energy but
> nothing else) I just started taking exadrine zrg (probably won't
> work either)

Up the protien to 1 g for 1 lb of body weight. I am not an expert at all so
take all my advice very lightly.

-paul

Paulo
July 4th 04, 05:17 PM
"Paul Cassel" > wrote in message
> Bill Eddings wrote:
> > Yes I own a Bowflex. (If you think it is a piece of overpriced
> > crap then stop reading now)
> > If you are still reading this then thank you.
> > I have been working out for 3 months now.
> > I am 6'1" and have gone from 276 to 250 pounds and gone from a 130
> > bench to a 200 bench in this time. According to the scale I am also
> > down 4% body fat.
>
> I figured that rather than being down 4% chicken fat.
> >
> > My workout is as follows
> > Benchpress on Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> > Chest Fly on Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> > Shoulder Press Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> > Laterial Raise Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> > Front Raise Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> > Reverse Fly Dumbells 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> > Wide Grip Pulldown Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> > Normal Grip Pullup Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> > Tricep Pulldown Bowflex 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> > Bicep Curl Dumbell 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> > Hammer Curl Dumbell 12 reps or faillure 1 set
> > Excercise bike 5 miles 3x per week
> >
> > When I can complete 12 reps I go up in weight. I will do an extra
> > set in problem areas. If I am not getting gains. 3 minutes between
> > sets.
> >
> > This program has been working for me up until now. I am no longer
> > making progress in my shoulder workout, and my biceps and tricep areas
> > are increasing slowly.
>
> Since your shoulder isn't progressing, try something different such as
> Arnolds or just don't do anything for two weeks then return. Sometimes
doing
> nothing works because you need recovery as well as stress. Also try
varying
> your routine as to reps and sets. Everything works; nothing works
forever.
> Try varying speed of reps, number of reps, sets, etc. This always one set
of
> 12 reps will put you in a rut and retard your progress, IMO.
> >
> > I take creatine once a day in the morning and then right after a
> > workout. I get plenty of protien at least 150 grams per day. I was
> > taking Hydroycut for the last 2 months (a little more energy but
> > nothing else) I just started taking exadrine zrg (probably won't
> > work either)
>
> Up the protien to 1 g for 1 lb of body weight. I am not an expert at all
so
> take all my advice very lightly.
> >
> -paul

I think you can get a pair of dumbells to compliment your work out and add
some variation.
I also think you should increase your protein intake...and drop the
hydroxycut.
If you are looking to reduce your body fat, also you can add some aerobic
excercise, like running....or stairs?

--
Paulo

Hugh Beyer
July 4th 04, 08:31 PM
Proton Soup > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:43:44 -0500, John Hanson
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:16:49 -0500, Bill Eddings >
>>wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>>> Yes I own a Bowflex. (If you think it is a piece of overpriced
>>>crap then stop reading now)
>>> If you are still reading this then thank you.
>>> I have been working out for 3 months now.
>>> I am 6'1" and have gone from 276 to 250 pounds and gone from a 130
>>>bench to a 200 bench in this time. According to the scale I am also
>>>down 4% body fat.
>>>
>>How do you know if your bench is 200 if you aren't using free weights?
>
> Just wondering, is that 200 at the top of the range of motion, the
> bottom, or a constant 200 throughout?

If it's a bowflex, I imagine it's "200 on that little adjuster thingie
there".

Which is legitimate as long as he doesn't try to compare his 200 to 200 on a
bar. 130 to 200 is still good improvement.

Hugh

--
Help! My myofibrillar material is disorganized!

saboteur
July 4th 04, 11:45 PM
This program has been working for me up until now. I am no longer
> making progress in my shoulder workout, and my biceps and tricep areas
> are increasing slowly.

this is normal.
You now need to CYCLE your workout.
Meaniing lower your poundages and go back again.

First thing is to get will rested, this means 7-10 days off; No
weight training and no aerobics. This will give your body a good
deal of the time it takes to recover after burning out/ overtraining.
Then drop your poundages to 75-85% of maximum and build up from there
slowly.
ARM CURL SQUAT
Week 1: OFF OFF
Week 2: 85x6 235x20
Week 3: 90x6 245x20
Week 4: 95x6 255x20
Week 5: 100x6 265x20
Week 6: 102x6 270x20
Week 7: 104x6 275x20
Week 8: 106x6 280x20
Week 9: 107x6 285x20
Week 10: 108x6 292x20
Week 11: 109x6 294x20
Week 12: 110x6 296x20
Week 13: 110.5x6 298x20
Week 14: 111.0x6 300.0x20
Week 15: 111.5x6 301.5x20
Week 16: 112.0x6 303.0x20
Week 17: 112.5x6 304.5x20
Week 19: 112.5x6 306.0x20

In the first workout, we cut back to 85% poundages
for the same reps. Each week we add a little weight to the bar to
get back to our previous poundages, and then we add some more weight
each week which become personal bests. Note that the Squat takes
a lot longer to get back to 100% than the arm curl. This is because
the Squat is a very brutal exercise to do and in the recovery phase
adding 20lbs each week (which may only constitute 5-10%) has too
much of an impact on recovery. If the poundages in the Squat are less,
then a shorter build-up period of 4-6 weeks may be allowed, but the
bigger your poundages are, the more recovery time your body needs.

bain
July 7th 04, 01:29 PM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
> Bill Eddings wrote:
> > Yes I own a Bowflex. (If you think it is a piece of overpriced
> > crap then stop reading now)
> > If you are still reading this then thank you.
> > I have been working out for 3 months now.
> > I am 6'1" and have gone from 276 to 250 pounds and gone from a 130
> > bench to a 200 bench in this time. According to the scale I am also
> > down 4% body fat.

<SNIP>

If you are benching 200 on the Bowflex it is really about 150 lbs.