PDA

View Full Version : Any of you folks develop knee pain?

artvandelay
July 13th 04, 11:45 PM
I stopped doing squats for one week but my knees still hurt. Maybe it
wasnt the squats afterall?

The only exercises I do that involve standing up and putting weight on
the knees are military press with barbell, bicep press with barbell,
and squats (everything else I do involves sitting on/lying on the
bench).

Is there a common error in the stance of these exercises that might be
the obvious cause of knee pain?

There's also a little bit of lower back pain too.

Someone suggested my hips are weak and unstable, knee pain begins at
the hip, so I need to strengthen my glutes (which i dont know how to
do without hurting my knees more).

Someone else suggested the stuff I'm describing is common to all
physical activity especially if you're over the age of 25, and that
since I'm 35 years old, I probably want to add some glucosamine to my
regimen and/or omega-3's to reduce inflammation.

Someone else still suggested squats, lunges, dead lifts do all with
lighter weight, maybe 1/2 of my one rep max. do this for 4-5 weeks
after that I should have strong enough connective tissue to deal with
the heavier weights.

I'm trying to be meticulous about my posture at work (desk job) but
have to admit that I've had moments of being bad (crossing knees on
chair). I *AM* meticluous about my form while lifting - but it's all
from books and websites. I cant afford a personal trainer.

Tom Walker
July 15th 04, 12:22 AM
(artvandelay) wrote in message >...
> I stopped doing squats for one week but my knees still hurt. Maybe it
> wasnt the squats afterall?
>
> The only exercises I do that involve standing up and putting weight on
> the knees are military press with barbell, bicep press with barbell,
> and squats (everything else I do involves sitting on/lying on the
> bench).
>
> Is there a common error in the stance of these exercises that might be
> the obvious cause of knee pain?
>
> There's also a little bit of lower back pain too.
>
> Someone suggested my hips are weak and unstable, knee pain begins at
> the hip, so I need to strengthen my glutes (which i dont know how to
> do without hurting my knees more).
>
> Someone else suggested the stuff I'm describing is common to all
> physical activity especially if you're over the age of 25, and that
> since I'm 35 years old, I probably want to add some glucosamine to my
> regimen and/or omega-3's to reduce inflammation.
>
> Someone else still suggested squats, lunges, dead lifts do all with
> lighter weight, maybe 1/2 of my one rep max. do this for 4-5 weeks
> after that I should have strong enough connective tissue to deal with
> the heavier weights.
>
> I'm trying to be meticulous about my posture at work (desk job) but
> have to admit that I've had moments of being bad (crossing knees on
> chair). I *AM* meticluous about my form while lifting - but it's all
> from books and websites. I cant afford a personal trainer.

do you go running?

also, when u squat do your knees go in front of your feet or move forward a lot?

Bully
July 15th 04, 06:50 AM
artvandelay wrote:
> I stopped doing squats for one week but my knees still hurt. Maybe it
> wasnt the squats afterall?

Where/when do they hurt?

> The only exercises I do that involve standing up and putting weight on
> the knees are military press with barbell, bicep press with barbell,
> and squats (everything else I do involves sitting on/lying on the
> bench).

It may be referred pain that is nothing to do with putting weight on your
knees.

> Is there a common error in the stance of these exercises that might be
> the obvious cause of knee pain?
>
> There's also a little bit of lower back pain too.

Ah-ha!

Sounds like they might be talking utter ********.

More utter ********.

> Someone else still suggested squats, lunges, dead lifts do all with
> lighter weight, maybe 1/2 of my one rep max. do this for 4-5 weeks
> after that I should have strong enough connective tissue to deal with
> the heavier weights.

But where is the pain? How long have you been squatting? What sort of weight
are you using?

> I'm trying to be meticulous about my posture at work (desk job) but
> have to admit that I've had moments of being bad (crossing knees on
> chair).

Are you a girl?

> I *AM* meticluous about my form while lifting - but it's all
> from books and websites. I cant afford a personal trainer.

I wouldn't necessarily want a PT to demo form to me, particularly for
squats!

--
Bully
Protein bars -- http://www.proteinbars.co.uk

DRS
July 15th 04, 04:49 PM
"Bully" > wrote in message

> artvandelay wrote:

[...]

>> Someone else suggested the stuff I'm describing is common to all
>> physical activity especially if you're over the age of 25, and that
>> since I'm 35 years old, I probably want to add some glucosamine to my
>> regimen and/or omega-3's to reduce inflammation.
>
> More utter ********.

Well, glucosamine's not ********. It's good for joints. Speaking of which,
is it OK to mix it with hot drinks?

--

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as
equals."

Bully
July 15th 04, 05:42 PM
DRS wrote:
> "Bully" > wrote in message
>
>> artvandelay wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Someone else suggested the stuff I'm describing is common to all
>>> physical activity especially if you're over the age of 25, and that
>>> since I'm 35 years old, I probably want to add some glucosamine to
>>> my regimen and/or omega-3's to reduce inflammation.
>>
>> More utter ********.
>
> Well, glucosamine's not ********. It's good for joints. Speaking of
> which, is it OK to mix it with hot drinks?

Agreed. I am heavily dependant on glucosamine to combat the tendonitis I get
from a combination of indoor rowing & weight lifting. It was actually the
sentence "Someone else suggested the stuff I'm describing is common to all
physical activity especially if you're over the age of 25..." that I took
great exception to!!!