PDA

View Full Version : drop sets regularly or just once in a while?

Brian Link
July 23rd 04, 07:05 AM
I don't do bicep curls every workout now, taking the advice that my
lat exercises are hitting the biceps just fine (rows, pullups). But
I've started adding them back in every other workout because they feel
good. (I do a full body workout)

When I do do bicep curls, I usually do two sets of 8-10 and then one
set of about 20 at 40% of the previous weights.

For instance, I'll do a pair of 45lb dumbells, two sets of 8 (if I can
manage it) and then pick up 20 or 17.5 pounders and curl em till I
feel like dying (usually I manage about 15-20, since 45's are pretty
much my max).

Seems to me I'd heard though that drop sets were something that should
only be done occasionally - or was that negatives?

I don't think I'm getting much size in my biceps, but I've gained a
fair amount of strength rather quickly. My max 3 months ago was 35x8x2
(pair of 35 pounders, 2 sets of 8 reps).

Thanks for any info.

Brian Link, Minnesota Countertenor
----------------------------------
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea;
they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."
- regmech

John Hanson
July 26th 04, 12:55 PM
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:05:30 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>I don't do bicep curls every workout now, taking the advice that my
>lat exercises are hitting the biceps just fine (rows, pullups). But
>I've started adding them back in every other workout because they feel
>good. (I do a full body workout)
>
>When I do do bicep curls, I usually do two sets of 8-10 and then one
>set of about 20 at 40% of the previous weights.
>
>For instance, I'll do a pair of 45lb dumbells, two sets of 8 (if I can
>manage it) and then pick up 20 or 17.5 pounders and curl em till I
>feel like dying (usually I manage about 15-20, since 45's are pretty
>much my max).
>
>Seems to me I'd heard though that drop sets were something that should
>only be done occasionally - or was that negatives?

I believe that is negatives that should only be done sparingly.

>I don't think I'm getting much size in my biceps, but I've gained a
>fair amount of strength rather quickly. My max 3 months ago was 35x8x2
>(pair of 35 pounders, 2 sets of 8 reps).
>
>Thanks for any info.

I nearly always do drop sets when I go real heavy in the big three.
For example, if I do 2 or 3 working sets with 2-3 reps in the squat or
bench, I like to drop down to a weight I can do for 8-10 reps after
completing the worksets. In the deadlift, I'll drop down and do a set
of conventional but for a set of 5-8 usually.