PDA

View Full Version : New DL Max for me today - 325 @ bodyweight 153

Steve Freides
June 24th 03, 06:08 PM
Being able to pull 325 x 1 isn't a huge surprise but it's still a new PB
and I'm delighted to have it. I did 305 x 4 last Thursday and 305 x 5
Sunday, and my old 1RM was 315.

I did one "warmup" lift at 280 then the 325 - I was going to try another
single at 345 but ran out of time. My wife watched and said the lift
looked smooth, no apparent sticking point, back stayed flat, and it felt
pretty good to me, too, although it came up slightly lopsided at the
beginning. She then told me I had to stop because I had to take her and
the kids somewhere. :(

This is at the end of a 1-month cycle of DL'ing after a 4-month break
during which I only did kettlebells. I'm going to take a few days off
then decide if I want to do another DL cycle or give it a rest again.

My program was simple - 3-5 singles 3x/week, 1-2 singles or rest the
other days with whatever weight I had just done those 3-5 singles with,
gradually increasing weight every session or three, while continueing
with most of my usual kettlebell training - military presses, windmills
and front squats for strength, snatches, jerks, and swings for
strength/endurance. Most days a bit of ab work to finish out the
workout. I had been doing some two kettlebell, one leg deadlifts so I
basically just swapped those out and put the barbell DL in instead. I
continued to work on endurance with the kettlebells as well, putting in
100 non-stop high swings or snatches (in the form of 20R, 20L, 15, 10, 5
each, total is 50 per hand or 100 together) with the small (36 lb.) bell
2-3x/week, other days few reps on a more conventional set/rep scheme
with a heavier weight.

Bodyweight was 152 yesterday and, after pizza and cheese fries out with
my boys last night for dinner, 153 today both in the morning and
immediately post-lift. Height 5'7-1/2", long term goal is 2.5x
bodyweight or about 380 lbs, short term goal is 345 or 2.25x
bodyweight. History includes a severely herniated L4-L5 disc about
5-1/2 years ago. Guesstimated bodyfat is 12%.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Micky Snir
June 24th 03, 08:58 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Being able to pull 325 x 1 isn't a huge surprise but it's still a new PB
> and I'm delighted to have it. I did 305 x 4 last Thursday and 305 x 5
> Sunday, and my old 1RM was 315.

I'm humbled...
I'm deadlift-challenged with PB=320 @ BW=173

M.
<snip>

Micky Snir
June 24th 03, 08:58 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Being able to pull 325 x 1 isn't a huge surprise but it's still a new PB
> and I'm delighted to have it. I did 305 x 4 last Thursday and 305 x 5
> Sunday, and my old 1RM was 315.

I'm humbled...
I'm deadlift-challenged with PB=320 @ BW=173

M.
<snip>

Steve Freides
June 25th 03, 01:29 AM
Micky Snir wrote:

> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> > Being able to pull 325 x 1 isn't a huge surprise but it's still a new PB
> > and I'm delighted to have it. I did 305 x 4 last Thursday and 305 x 5
> > Sunday, and my old 1RM was 315.
>
> I'm humbled...
> I'm deadlift-challenged with PB=320 @ BW=173

Don't worry. I lift what I do mostly through technique, not strength.
:) Seriously, all the Dragon Door folks yelled at me for not trying
345. And if I'd tried it and failed, they still would have yelled at
me.

Get yourself on a Sheiko, Korte or similar and I'm sure your numbers
will go up.

-S-

> M.
> <snip>

Steve Freides
June 25th 03, 01:29 AM
Micky Snir wrote:

> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> > Being able to pull 325 x 1 isn't a huge surprise but it's still a new PB
> > and I'm delighted to have it. I did 305 x 4 last Thursday and 305 x 5
> > Sunday, and my old 1RM was 315.
>
> I'm humbled...
> I'm deadlift-challenged with PB=320 @ BW=173

Don't worry. I lift what I do mostly through technique, not strength.
:) Seriously, all the Dragon Door folks yelled at me for not trying
345. And if I'd tried it and failed, they still would have yelled at
me.

Get yourself on a Sheiko, Korte or similar and I'm sure your numbers
will go up.

-S-

> M.
> <snip>

Peter Allen
June 25th 03, 03:16 AM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Being able to pull 325 x 1 isn't a huge surprise but it's still a new PB
> and I'm delighted to have it. I did 305 x 4 last Thursday and 305 x 5
> Sunday, and my old 1RM was 315.
>
> I did one "warmup" lift at 280 then the 325 - I was going to try another
> single at 345 but ran out of time. My wife watched and said the lift
> looked smooth, no apparent sticking point, back stayed flat, and it felt
> pretty good to me, too, although it came up slightly lopsided at the
> beginning. She then told me I had to stop because I had to take her and
> the kids somewhere. :(
>
> This is at the end of a 1-month cycle of DL'ing after a 4-month break
> during which I only did kettlebells. I'm going to take a few days off
> then decide if I want to do another DL cycle or give it a rest again.
>
> My program was simple - 3-5 singles 3x/week, 1-2 singles or rest the
> other days with whatever weight I had just done those 3-5 singles with,
> gradually increasing weight every session or three, while continueing
> with most of my usual kettlebell training - military presses, windmills
> and front squats for strength, snatches, jerks, and swings for
> strength/endurance. Most days a bit of ab work to finish out the
> workout. I had been doing some two kettlebell, one leg deadlifts so I
> basically just swapped those out and put the barbell DL in instead. I
> continued to work on endurance with the kettlebells as well, putting in
> 100 non-stop high swings or snatches (in the form of 20R, 20L, 15, 10, 5
> each, total is 50 per hand or 100 together) with the small (36 lb.) bell
> 2-3x/week, other days few reps on a more conventional set/rep scheme
> with a heavier weight.
>
> Bodyweight was 152 yesterday and, after pizza and cheese fries out with
> my boys last night for dinner, 153 today both in the morning and
> immediately post-lift. Height 5'7-1/2", long term goal is 2.5x
> bodyweight or about 380 lbs, short term goal is 345 or 2.25x
> bodyweight. History includes a severely herniated L4-L5 disc about
> 5-1/2 years ago. Guesstimated bodyfat is 12%.

Nice going. I know what you mean about setting PBs, too - you know you CAN
do something, but it's still nice to go out and do it - I'm still feeling
good after going under 25 mins for a 10 mile TT this afternoon. I'm a bit
fatter than you though - 5'11 and 80kg, definitely over 12% fat.

Peter

Peter Allen
June 25th 03, 03:16 AM