PDA

View Full Version : Re: Really Good Books For Beginner?

Matti Kolu
July 8th 03, 10:42 PM
"dudara" > skrev i meddelandet
om...
> "August Pamplona" > wrote
in message k.net>...
> > "JackAttack" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > I've got a BodySolid Bench and Power Rack on order.
> > >
> > > What are some good books that show proper lifting techniques? Are
> > > there any books that you would recommend in general?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > An often recommended book here is The Insider's Tell-All Handbook on
> > Weight-Training Technique by Stuart McRobert. It is meant to be a very
> > conservative book that makes a great effort of showing proper form of a
> > few generally regarded as safe or particularly useful exercises rather
> > than an exhaustive listing of exercises. No doubt much to Lyle and John
> > Williams chagrin, it does not include upright rows. :-)
> >
> > August Pamplona
>

> I really like the "Strength Training Anatomy" by Delavier. It really
> illustrates the muscles involved in lifting and gives exercises
> suitable for each. It somehow goes beyond form etc and tells you about
> the muscles that you are using.

The anatomy charts in Delavierīs book are nice. The book contains a wider
selection of exercises than McRobert's book, but the descriptions are not as
in-depth as McRobert's. Both books are worth the money, IMO.

Matti

Matti Kolu
July 8th 03, 10:42 PM
"dudara" > skrev i meddelandet
om...
> "August Pamplona" > wrote
in message k.net>...
> > "JackAttack" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > I've got a BodySolid Bench and Power Rack on order.
> > >
> > > What are some good books that show proper lifting techniques? Are
> > > there any books that you would recommend in general?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > An often recommended book here is The Insider's Tell-All Handbook on
> > Weight-Training Technique by Stuart McRobert. It is meant to be a very
> > conservative book that makes a great effort of showing proper form of a
> > few generally regarded as safe or particularly useful exercises rather
> > than an exhaustive listing of exercises. No doubt much to Lyle and John
> > Williams chagrin, it does not include upright rows. :-)
> >
> > August Pamplona
>

> I really like the "Strength Training Anatomy" by Delavier. It really
> illustrates the muscles involved in lifting and gives exercises
> suitable for each. It somehow goes beyond form etc and tells you about
> the muscles that you are using.

The anatomy charts in Delavierīs book are nice. The book contains a wider
selection of exercises than McRobert's book, but the descriptions are not as
in-depth as McRobert's. Both books are worth the money, IMO.

Matti

Matti Kolu
July 8th 03, 10:50 PM
"Matti Kolu" > skrev i meddelandet

> The anatomy charts

What's the correct term? Someone else used "anatomy diagrams" in another
post. I'm talking about those pretty pictures that you usually see in books
about biology and physiology, you know, those pictures which illustrates the
human body and all the muscles.