PDA

View Full Version : Re: Free Weights vs. Machines

Seth Breidbart
July 9th 03, 01:18 AM
In article >,
Peter Webb > wrote:

>The main advantage of machines is that you can "go to failure" quite safely

If you want to go to failure, that is. There are sometimes valid
reasons for doing it; there are often valid reasons for not.

>The soreness after lifting is very bad when you first start doing weights
>(the first few weeks), after that it is far more managable.

It needn't be bad at the beginning. Just don't overdo it: use lighter
weights and a reasonable number of reps (going nowhere near failure).
You'll be able to increase the weights quite rapidly, with much less
suffering.

> There is an over
>the counter anti-inflammatory called Ibuprofen (might be called "Motrin" or
>"Triprofen" depending on where you live) that is safe and effective for
>controlling the soreness.

There's some evidence that the use of them hampers muscle growth.

>It is generally believed that there is no direct correlation between
>post-exercise pain and muscle growth. Don't worry when it starts to not hurt
>as much.

There isn't any known correlation, really.

Seth
--
Sometimes we have to forget studies and theories and just lift like a
****er! -- George UK

Seth Breidbart
July 9th 03, 01:18 AM
In article >,
Peter Webb > wrote:

>The main advantage of machines is that you can "go to failure" quite safely

If you want to go to failure, that is. There are sometimes valid
reasons for doing it; there are often valid reasons for not.

>The soreness after lifting is very bad when you first start doing weights
>(the first few weeks), after that it is far more managable.

It needn't be bad at the beginning. Just don't overdo it: use lighter
weights and a reasonable number of reps (going nowhere near failure).
You'll be able to increase the weights quite rapidly, with much less
suffering.

> There is an over
>the counter anti-inflammatory called Ibuprofen (might be called "Motrin" or
>"Triprofen" depending on where you live) that is safe and effective for
>controlling the soreness.

There's some evidence that the use of them hampers muscle growth.

>It is generally believed that there is no direct correlation between
>post-exercise pain and muscle growth. Don't worry when it starts to not hurt
>as much.

There isn't any known correlation, really.

Seth
--
Sometimes we have to forget studies and theories and just lift like a
****er! -- George UK

PatrickFalcon31
July 9th 03, 05:56 AM
>So, free weights will give me the number of exercises I need as well? Just
>with an adjustable bench? I'd give up the stabilizers for increased range
>of exercises with a home gym.
>
>Cheers

Free weights will allow you do to as many exercises as I can imagine anyone
ever needing. You can work every muscle in your body with them.

Patrick Falcon

PatrickFalcon31
July 9th 03, 05:56 AM
>So, free weights will give me the number of exercises I need as well? Just
>with an adjustable bench? I'd give up the stabilizers for increased range
>of exercises with a home gym.
>
>Cheers

Free weights will allow you do to as many exercises as I can imagine anyone
ever needing. You can work every muscle in your body with them.

Patrick Falcon

Seth Breidbart
July 9th 03, 09:37 PM
In article >,
PatrickFalcon31 > wrote:
>>So, free weights will give me the number of exercises I need as well? Just
>>with an adjustable bench? I'd give up the stabilizers for increased range
>>of exercises with a home gym.
>
>Free weights will allow you do to as many exercises as I can imagine anyone
>ever needing. You can work every muscle in your body with them.

Really?

How about the ones that move my eyes from side to side?

(Maybe I just don't want to know about them.)

Seth
--
Who cares? Shut up and lift. -- Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Seth Breidbart
July 9th 03, 09:37 PM
In article >,
PatrickFalcon31 > wrote:
>>So, free weights will give me the number of exercises I need as well? Just
>>with an adjustable bench? I'd give up the stabilizers for increased range
>>of exercises with a home gym.
>
>Free weights will allow you do to as many exercises as I can imagine anyone
>ever needing. You can work every muscle in your body with them.

Really?

How about the ones that move my eyes from side to side?

(Maybe I just don't want to know about them.)

Seth
--
Who cares? Shut up and lift. -- Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

JonH
July 9th 03, 09:55 PM
On 9 Jul 2003 15:37:03 -0400, (Seth Breidbart) wrote:

>In article >,
>PatrickFalcon31 > wrote:
>>>So, free weights will give me the number of exercises I need as well? Just
>>>with an adjustable bench? I'd give up the stabilizers for increased range
>>>of exercises with a home gym.
>>
>>Free weights will allow you do to as many exercises as I can imagine anyone
>>ever needing. You can work every muscle in your body with them.
>
>Really?
>
>How about the ones that move my eyes from side to side?
>
>(Maybe I just don't want to know about them.)
>
>Seth

You mean the exercises from The Christpher Reeves fitness book?

JonH
July 9th 03, 09:55 PM
On 9 Jul 2003 15:37:03 -0400, (Seth Breidbart) wrote:

>In article >,
>PatrickFalcon31 > wrote:
>>>So, free weights will give me the number of exercises I need as well? Just
>>>with an adjustable bench? I'd give up the stabilizers for increased range
>>>of exercises with a home gym.
>>
>>Free weights will allow you do to as many exercises as I can imagine anyone
>>ever needing. You can work every muscle in your body with them.
>
>Really?
>
>How about the ones that move my eyes from side to side?
>
>(Maybe I just don't want to know about them.)
>
>Seth

You mean the exercises from The Christpher Reeves fitness book?

PatrickFalcon31
July 9th 03, 11:23 PM
>Subject: Re: Free Weights vs. Machines
>From: (Seth Breidbart)
>Date: 7/9/03 2:37 PM Central Daylight Time
>
>In article >,
>PatrickFalcon31 > wrote:
>>>So, free weights will give me the number of exercises I need as well? Just
>>>with an adjustable bench? I'd give up the stabilizers for increased range
>>>of exercises with a home gym.
>>
>>Free weights will allow you do to as many exercises as I can imagine anyone
>>ever needing. You can work every muscle in your body with them.
>
>Really?
>
>How about the ones that move my eyes from side to side?
>
>(Maybe I just don't want to know about them.)
>
>Seth

1. Look at the chick doing squats.
2. Keeping your head in the same place, move your eyes to the chick doing
overhead presses.
3. Move eyes back to the first chick.
4. Repeat.

HTH.

Patrick Falcon

PatrickFalcon31
July 9th 03, 11:23 PM
>Subject: Re: Free Weights vs. Machines
>From: (Seth Breidbart)
>Date: 7/9/03 2:37 PM Central Daylight Time
>
>In article >,
>PatrickFalcon31 > wrote:
>>>So, free weights will give me the number of exercises I need as well? Just
>>>with an adjustable bench? I'd give up the stabilizers for increased range
>>>of exercises with a home gym.
>>
>>Free weights will allow you do to as many exercises as I can imagine anyone
>>ever needing. You can work every muscle in your body with them.
>
>Really?
>
>How about the ones that move my eyes from side to side?
>
>(Maybe I just don't want to know about them.)
>
>Seth

1. Look at the chick doing squats.
2. Keeping your head in the same place, move your eyes to the chick doing
overhead presses.
3. Move eyes back to the first chick.
4. Repeat.

HTH.

Patrick Falcon

Seth Breidbart
July 10th 03, 07:40 PM
In article >,
PatrickFalcon31 > wrote:

>>In article >,
>>PatrickFalcon31 > wrote:
[i]
>>>Free weights will allow you do to as many exercises as I can imagine anyone
>>>ever needing. You can work every muscle in your body with them.
>>
>>Really?
>>How about the ones that move my eyes from side to side?
>>(Maybe I just don't want to know about them.)
>
>1. Look at the chick doing squats.
>2. Keeping your head in the same place, move your eyes to the chick doing
>overhead presses.
>3. Move eyes back to the first chick.
>4. Repeat.

I asked about exercises for my eye muscles, not my imagination.

The next time I see either of those in my gym will be the first.

Both of them at the same time will happen about when the Cubs next win
the World Series.

Seth
--

PatrickFalcon31 > wrote:

>>In article >,
>>PatrickFalcon31 > wrote:
[i]
>>>Free weights will allow you do to as many exercises as I can imagine anyone
>>>ever needing. You can work every muscle in your body with them.
>>
>>Really?
>>How about the ones that move my eyes from side to side?
>>(Maybe I just don't want to know about them.)
>
>1. Look at the chick doing squats.
>2. Keeping your head in the same place, move your eyes to the chick doing
>overhead presses.
>3. Move eyes back to the first chick.
>4. Repeat.

I asked about exercises for my eye muscles, not my imagination.

The next time I see either of those in my gym will be the first.

Both of them at the same time will happen about when the Cubs next win
the World Series.

Seth
--
Who cares? Shut up and lift. -- Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

gps
July 12th 03, 02:04 AM
VP wrote:

> Robert Dorf,
>
> > You can do more exercises with free weights plus a resistance band or
> > two than with any home gym machine I've seen.
>
> How can you do pulldowns using weights?

bb rows, db rows, pull ups, chin ups, hang cleans, shrugs, dl. All
great exercises, all, more or less, free weight exercises, all hit the
lats, several involve more of the back.

> >> Just reviewing the powerblocks. Dang they spensive! Might not have room
> >> for a cage.
> >
> > While the power blocks are fairly space efficient, plates, a plate
> > tree and a couple of dumbbell handles work too and are cheaper. If
> > you have a den or spare bedroom that you can turn into a weight room,
> > you probably have space for a cage or rack. If not, a bench and
> > dumbbell handles and plates has a fairly small footprint.
>
> We come full circle. The reason I am investigating the Crossbow is because
> of its small footprint. I don't have extra rooms. I have one room in a
> house of students. I also am time restricted and donšt want to spend half
> the workout changing plates and doing math.

It's not that hard.

> >> Not if I have to travel across town on a bus to do so. Hence the home
> >> solution.
> >
> > You can do deadlifts plus overhead presses with nothing more than a
> > bar and plates in your home. Just clean the weight you plan to press
> > into place. Heck, use power cleans, front squats and over-head
> > presses as your workout and finish with deadlifts and maybe barbell
> > rows. Add floor presses and you'll have full body training with no
> > cage and very minimal equipment.
>
> You have a url where I can view these in action? Drawing, animated gif,
> anything? That would really help.

Sheesh, you're a lazy git.
ps

gps
July 12th 03, 02:04 AM
VP wrote:

> Robert Dorf,
>
> > You can do more exercises with free weights plus a resistance band or
> > two than with any home gym machine I've seen.
>
> How can you do pulldowns using weights?

bb rows, db rows, pull ups, chin ups, hang cleans, shrugs, dl. All
great exercises, all, more or less, free weight exercises, all hit the
lats, several involve more of the back.

> >> Just reviewing the powerblocks. Dang they spensive! Might not have room
> >> for a cage.
> >
> > While the power blocks are fairly space efficient, plates, a plate
> > tree and a couple of dumbbell handles work too and are cheaper. If
> > you have a den or spare bedroom that you can turn into a weight room,
> > you probably have space for a cage or rack. If not, a bench and
> > dumbbell handles and plates has a fairly small footprint.
>
> We come full circle. The reason I am investigating the Crossbow is because
> of its small footprint. I don't have extra rooms. I have one room in a
> house of students. I also am time restricted and donšt want to spend half
> the workout changing plates and doing math.

It's not that hard.

> >> Not if I have to travel across town on a bus to do so. Hence the home
> >> solution.
> >
> > You can do deadlifts plus overhead presses with nothing more than a
> > bar and plates in your home. Just clean the weight you plan to press
> > into place. Heck, use power cleans, front squats and over-head
> > presses as your workout and finish with deadlifts and maybe barbell
> > rows. Add floor presses and you'll have full body training with no
> > cage and very minimal equipment.
>
> You have a url where I can view these in action? Drawing, animated gif,
> anything? That would really help.

Sheesh, you're a lazy git.
ps

Rambo Four Sythia
July 12th 03, 07:59 PM
gps > wrote in message >...
> VP wrote:
> > You have a url where I can view these in action? Drawing, animated gif,
> > anything? That would really help.
>
> Sheesh, you're a lazy git.

A google search for the exercise often has
top hits with animated gifs. Another good
google search is like this:

site:exrx.net deadlift

--
R4S

Rambo Four Sythia
July 12th 03, 07:59 PM
gps > wrote in message >...
> VP wrote:
> > You have a url where I can view these in action? Drawing, animated gif,
> > anything? That would really help.
>
> Sheesh, you're a lazy git.

A google search for the exercise often has
top hits with animated gifs. Another good
google search is like this:

site:exrx.net deadlift

--
R4S

Hard Headed Woman
July 13th 03, 03:36 AM
"Seth Breidbart" wrote in message ...

> >>Really?
> >>How about the ones that move my eyes from side to side?
> >>(Maybe I just don't want to know about them.)
> >
> >1. Look at the chick doing squats.
> >2. Keeping your head in the same place, move your eyes to the chick
doing
> >overhead presses.
> >3. Move eyes back to the first chick.
> >4. Repeat.
>
> I asked about exercises for my eye muscles, not my imagination.
>
> The next time I see either of those in my gym will be the first.
>
> Both of them at the same time will happen about when the Cubs next win
> the World Series.

Damn that old man and his goat, anyway...

-HHW-