PDA

View Full Version : Re: dumbbell suspenders

spodosaurus
July 9th 03, 07:11 AM
John wrote:
>>spodosaurus
>

> wrote:
>
> They ones I ran into, damn this is hard to explain in print, had a 3-4 inch
> tube or (1/4?) wire that clamped to the dummbell handle. Two hooks came out of
> either end for hanging on the barbell. Seemed to work very well...I'm still
> looking.
>
> S___S
> J J
>
> If this were inverted , the lower S part would lock into the dumbell, the
> inverted J would hang on the barbell.
>
> John

After going to a mountaineering store (Mountain Designs here in Perth
have great staff who were very helpful) I'm leaning towards a different
design for this. I'm going to attach a pulley to each side of the upper
frame of the power rack (I didn't want to have to drill holes through
the rack, but oh well). I'm going to attach boating cleats to the sides
of the rear uprights of the power rack about midway down. Rope gets
wrapped around these cleats and can be easilly unwrapped to alter the
height of the dumbbells that will be suspended from the pulleys. No I
just have to decide how I'm going to attach the rope to the dumbells.
I'm thinking of tying the ends of the rope to carabiners. Through the
carabiners I'm going to slide either rope or chain with will be attached
to the handles of the dumbbells at the inner collars with U-bolts. The
dumbbells will form the bottom of a triangle, with the chain or rope
forming the sides, and the top of the triangle will go through the
carabiner that has the height adjustment rope tied to it. I don't want
to have long chains dangling from my power rack making noise when the
wind blows through the room all night in the summer, and I want
something that adjusts a bit easier than unhooking and rehooking
crabiners through chain links to get the position 'just right'. I'll
post some photos to a website when I finish this.

Ari

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

spodosaurus
July 9th 03, 07:11 AM
John wrote:
>>spodosaurus
>

> wrote:
>
> They ones I ran into, damn this is hard to explain in print, had a 3-4 inch
> tube or (1/4?) wire that clamped to the dummbell handle. Two hooks came out of
> either end for hanging on the barbell. Seemed to work very well...I'm still
> looking.
>
> S___S
> J J
>
> If this were inverted , the lower S part would lock into the dumbell, the
> inverted J would hang on the barbell.
>
> John

After going to a mountaineering store (Mountain Designs here in Perth
have great staff who were very helpful) I'm leaning towards a different
design for this. I'm going to attach a pulley to each side of the upper
frame of the power rack (I didn't want to have to drill holes through
the rack, but oh well). I'm going to attach boating cleats to the sides
of the rear uprights of the power rack about midway down. Rope gets
wrapped around these cleats and can be easilly unwrapped to alter the
height of the dumbbells that will be suspended from the pulleys. No I
just have to decide how I'm going to attach the rope to the dumbells.
I'm thinking of tying the ends of the rope to carabiners. Through the
carabiners I'm going to slide either rope or chain with will be attached
to the handles of the dumbbells at the inner collars with U-bolts. The
dumbbells will form the bottom of a triangle, with the chain or rope
forming the sides, and the top of the triangle will go through the
carabiner that has the height adjustment rope tied to it. I don't want
to have long chains dangling from my power rack making noise when the
wind blows through the room all night in the summer, and I want
something that adjusts a bit easier than unhooking and rehooking
crabiners through chain links to get the position 'just right'. I'll
post some photos to a website when I finish this.

Ari

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person
on the recipient list. Call your local Red Cross and ask about
registering to be a bone marrow donor.

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Lee Michaels
July 9th 03, 07:54 AM
"spodosaurus" > wrote in message
> John wrote:
> >>spodosaurus
> >

> > wrote:
> >
> > They ones I ran into, damn this is hard to explain in print, had a 3-4
inch
> > tube or (1/4?) wire that clamped to the dummbell handle. Two hooks came
out of
> > either end for hanging on the barbell. Seemed to work very well...I'm
still
> > looking.
> >
> > S___S
> > J J
> >
> > If this were inverted , the lower S part would lock into the dumbell,
the
> > inverted J would hang on the barbell.
> >
> > John
> >

> After going to a mountaineering store (Mountain Designs here in Perth
> have great staff who were very helpful) I'm leaning towards a different
> design for this. I'm going to attach a pulley to each side of the upper
> frame of the power rack (I didn't want to have to drill holes through
> the rack, but oh well). I'm going to attach boating cleats to the sides
> of the rear uprights of the power rack about midway down. Rope gets
> wrapped around these cleats and can be easilly unwrapped to alter the
> height of the dumbbells that will be suspended from the pulleys. No I
> just have to decide how I'm going to attach the rope to the dumbells.
> I'm thinking of tying the ends of the rope to carabiners. Through the
> carabiners I'm going to slide either rope or chain with will be attached
> to the handles of the dumbbells at the inner collars with U-bolts. The
> dumbbells will form the bottom of a triangle, with the chain or rope
> forming the sides, and the top of the triangle will go through the
> carabiner that has the height adjustment rope tied to it. I don't want
> to have long chains dangling from my power rack making noise when the
> wind blows through the room all night in the summer, and I want
> something that adjusts a bit easier than unhooking and rehooking
> crabiners through chain links to get the position 'just right'. I'll
> post some photos to a website when I finish this.

Another option you may consider would the use of some strong nylon webbing.
This stuff is super strong and coule easily support the dumbells. I have
made some rehab stations with dumbells using webbing.

I had loops sewn into the end of the webbing at a shoe repair shop. These
loops look exactly like the one on the end of lifting straps. You pass the
webbing through the loop and pull it open. Again this is like lifting
straps. You then place the big loops over the dumbell handle and tighten
them down at each end of the handle. The middle of the strap is hooked ont
whatever is supporting the dumbells.

Webbing is strong, light weight, colorful and silent.

Another option that I saw many years ago in a dungeon gym of an oldtimer.
He had drilled some holes in a small weight plate. He then passed some
webbing through the hole. He loaded up his dumbells as normal.

The webbing supported the dumbells. The advantage of this systems is that
there is nothing on the handle. It wouldn't work with fixed seights though.
Just the adjustable ones.

HTH

Lee Michaels

> [...]

made some rehab stations with dumbells using webbing.

I had loops sewn into the end of the webbing at a shoe repair shop. These
loops look exactly like the one on the end of lifting straps. You pass the
webbing through the loop and pull it open. Again this is like lifting
straps. You then place the big loops over the dumbell handle and tighten
them down at each end of the handle. The middle of the strap is hooked ont
whatever is supporting the dumbells.

Webbing is strong, light weight, colorful and silent.

Another option that I saw many years ago in a dungeon gym of an oldtimer.
He had drilled some holes in a small weight plate. He then passed some
webbing through the hole. He loaded up his dumbells as normal.

The webbing supported the dumbells. The advantage of this systems is that
there is nothing on the handle. It wouldn't work with fixed seights though.

gps
July 12th 03, 01:59 AM
"John M. Williams" wrote:

> "Hard Headed Woman" > wrote:

> from
> > >
> > > Because, for a number of reasons, you may want to perform dumbbell
> > > bench presses instead of barbell bench presses, and it can be very
> > > difficult to get heavy dumbbells into the proper position. The
> > > traditional method is to lie on the bench and have spotters on
> > > both sides hand you the dumbbells with your arms mostly
> > > extended. The hooks avoid the need for those spotters.
> >
> > So the purpose of the hooks is to hold the DBs until you get into
> position,
> > at which point you remove them from the barbell?
>
> Yep. Just like in the picture. Of course, the hooks stay with the
> dumbbells, and for some reason, that's kinda weird. I don't
> think I'd like that.

Haven't used them myself, but you probably would get used to it, and I
think it would be pretty cool not to have to worry about what to do with
the db at the end of your set, just hook them up.
ps

gps
July 12th 03, 01:59 AM
"John M. Williams" wrote:

> "Hard Headed Woman" > wrote:

> from
> > >
> > > Because, for a number of reasons, you may want to perform dumbbell
> > > bench presses instead of barbell bench presses, and it can be very
> > > difficult to get heavy dumbbells into the proper position. The
> > > traditional method is to lie on the bench and have spotters on
> > > both sides hand you the dumbbells with your arms mostly
> > > extended. The hooks avoid the need for those spotters.
> >
> > So the purpose of the hooks is to hold the DBs until you get into
> position,
> > at which point you remove them from the barbell?
>
> Yep. Just like in the picture. Of course, the hooks stay with the
> dumbbells, and for some reason, that's kinda weird. I don't
> think I'd like that.

Haven't used them myself, but you probably would get used to it, and I
think it would be pretty cool not to have to worry about what to do with
the db at the end of your set, just hook them up.
ps

John M. Williams
July 12th 03, 02:19 AM
gps > wrote:

>"John M. Williams" wrote:

>> from

>> > So the purpose of the hooks is to hold the DBs until you get into
>> position,
>> > at which point you remove them from the barbell?
>>
>> Yep. Just like in the picture. Of course, the hooks stay with the
>> dumbbells, and for some reason, that's kinda weird. I don't
>> think I'd like that.
>
>Haven't used them myself, but you probably would get used to it, and I
>think it would be pretty cool not to have to worry about what to do with
>the db at the end of your set, just hook them up.

I dunno. Mark Pitroff had some at his booth at the Arnold Expo. I
thought the concept was cool, but I wasn't sure I would be comfortable
with the grip and the protrusion of the hooks.

John M. Williams
July 12th 03, 02:19 AM
gps > wrote:

>"John M. Williams" wrote:

>> from

>> > So the purpose of the hooks is to hold the DBs until you get into
>> position,
>> > at which point you remove them from the barbell?
>>
>> Yep. Just like in the picture. Of course, the hooks stay with the
>> dumbbells, and for some reason, that's kinda weird. I don't
>> think I'd like that.
>
>Haven't used them myself, but you probably would get used to it, and I
>think it would be pretty cool not to have to worry about what to do with
>the db at the end of your set, just hook them up.

I dunno. Mark Pitroff had some at his booth at the Arnold Expo. I
thought the concept was cool, but I wasn't sure I would be comfortable
with the grip and the protrusion of the hooks.

gps
July 12th 03, 03:07 AM
"John M. Williams" wrote:

> gps > wrote:

> >> from

> >> position,
> >>
> >> Yep. Just like in the picture. Of course, the hooks stay with the
> >> dumbbells, and for some reason, that's kinda weird. I don't
> >> think I'd like that.
> >
> >Haven't used them myself, but you probably would get used to it, and I
> >think it would be pretty cool not to have to worry about what to do with
> >the db at the end of your set, just hook them up.
>
> I dunno. Mark Pitroff had some at his booth at the Arnold Expo. I
> thought the concept was cool, but I wasn't sure I would be comfortable
> with the grip and the protrusion of the hooks.

Yeah, it's tough to say without having a chance to try them out for a
while.
ps

gps
July 12th 03, 03:07 AM