PDA

View Full Version : adequate weight routine?

determined
July 10th 03, 07:14 PM
I'm female, wanting to preserve my muscle while dieting down a little
further, and then when I get to goal weight want to build back some muscle
that I've lost over the past year of weight loss. Last year I weighed 147,
now I'm at 124, with a bf% of 24%. I'd like to see 20% or less by the end
of this year. My current routine is a full-body M-W-F consisting of:

leg press
standing calf raises
sldl's
incline bench
dips
chins
db row
shrugs
shoulder press
bicep curls
weighted crunches

I do 2 sets each, and every 2 weeks reduce reps and increase the weight.
This workout only takes about 30 minutes or less, and I'm wondering if this
will be adequate for maintaining and increasing muscle. Thanks for your
input!

det

billydee
July 10th 03, 10:03 PM
Lets see if I've lurked long enough in here to make a proper MWF
response to this routine. Sounds like you might be rushing the sets a
bit if you can truly get 2 sets of all of these in 30 mins though. how
long are you resting between sets?

1. Drop the leg press, dips, shrugs (most women don't want big traps
anyway), and bicep curls and DB row
2. Do some barbell squats instead of the leg press
3. Maybe throw in a seated cable pull?

"determined" > wrote in message >...
> I'm female, wanting to preserve my muscle while dieting down a little
> further, and then when I get to goal weight want to build back some muscle
> that I've lost over the past year of weight loss. Last year I weighed 147,
> now I'm at 124, with a bf% of 24%. I'd like to see 20% or less by the end
> of this year. My current routine is a full-body M-W-F consisting of:
>
> leg press
> standing calf raises
> sldl's
> incline bench
> dips
> chins
> db row
> shrugs
> shoulder press
> bicep curls
> weighted crunches
>
> I do 2 sets each, and every 2 weeks reduce reps and increase the weight.
> This workout only takes about 30 minutes or less, and I'm wondering if this
> will be adequate for maintaining and increasing muscle. Thanks for your
> input!
>
> det

billydee
July 10th 03, 10:03 PM
Lets see if I've lurked long enough in here to make a proper MWF
response to this routine. Sounds like you might be rushing the sets a
bit if you can truly get 2 sets of all of these in 30 mins though. how
long are you resting between sets?

1. Drop the leg press, dips, shrugs (most women don't want big traps
anyway), and bicep curls and DB row
2. Do some barbell squats instead of the leg press
3. Maybe throw in a seated cable pull?

"determined" > wrote in message >...
> I'm female, wanting to preserve my muscle while dieting down a little
> further, and then when I get to goal weight want to build back some muscle
> that I've lost over the past year of weight loss. Last year I weighed 147,
> now I'm at 124, with a bf% of 24%. I'd like to see 20% or less by the end
> of this year. My current routine is a full-body M-W-F consisting of:
>
> leg press
> standing calf raises
> sldl's
> incline bench
> dips
> chins
> db row
> shrugs
> shoulder press
> bicep curls
> weighted crunches
>
> I do 2 sets each, and every 2 weeks reduce reps and increase the weight.
> This workout only takes about 30 minutes or less, and I'm wondering if this
> will be adequate for maintaining and increasing muscle. Thanks for your
> input!
>
> det

Steve Freides
July 11th 03, 12:09 AM
determined wrote:

> I'm female, wanting to preserve my muscle while dieting down a little
> further, and then when I get to goal weight want to build back some muscle
> that I've lost over the past year of weight loss. Last year I weighed 147,
> now I'm at 124, with a bf% of 24%. I'd like to see 20% or less by the end
> of this year. My current routine is a full-body M-W-F consisting of:
>
> leg press
> standing calf raises
> sldl's
> incline bench
> dips
> chins
> db row
> shrugs
> shoulder press
> bicep curls
> weighted crunches
>
> I do 2 sets each, and every 2 weeks reduce reps and increase the weight.
> This workout only takes about 30 minutes or less, and I'm wondering if this
> will be adequate for maintaining and increasing muscle. Thanks for your
> input!

First of all, brava on your progress! But 22 sets in 30 minutes -
that's a lot of sets and, I imagine, not a lot of rest. Personally, I
love the feeling of lifting heavy for short sets on lots of rest, so you
might want to try something simple for a change of pace like squat and
bench press one workout, deadlift and benchpress the next workout, and
nothing more. Keep the ab stuff at the end, maybe. That would let you
work many muscles with a single exercise. If you absolutely have to
have more exercises, you could add chins and shoulder presses back in,
but that's still only 5 things (dead/squat, bench, chin, shoulder press,
abs) instead of 11.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Steve Freides