PDA

View Full Version : Please critique this 'train like the Bulgarians' article

Theresa
July 11th 03, 12:26 AM
www.tc.umn.edu/~keen0018/bulgar.htm

It looks cool. Not that I know how to snatch, clean, jerk, front squat,
Romanian deadlift (?), power snatch, power clean, push jerk (?), or snatch
pull, but it's still interesting. Start with 3 workouts a week, work up to
8: 2 a day 4 days a week.

--
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.

Keith Hobman
July 11th 03, 04:05 PM
In article >, "Theresa"
> wrote:

> www.tc.umn.edu/~keen0018/bulgar.htm
>
> It looks cool. Not that I know how to snatch, clean, jerk, front squat,
> Romanian deadlift (?), power snatch, power clean, push jerk (?), or snatch
> pull, but it's still interesting. Start with 3 workouts a week, work up to
> 8: 2 a day 4 days a week.

One of the problems of understanding the Bulgarian's training methods is
there really isn't one Bulgarian method. There are several good coaches
from Bulgaria. These coaches all advocate training near 1RM far more so
than most other nations.

People tend to get hung up on that. But if you examine any of the great
Bulgarian coaches training programs you'll see that they actually don't
advocate training at 1RM every day or even every week.

Which brings me to the problem I have with this program. It basically
advocates a linear increase in volume. What the Bulgarian coaches I have
examined advocate is a waved increase in volume and intensity - very close
to Chernyaks loading parameters.

They monitor total poundage and wave it.

So for example if an average week had you lifting 10,000 lbs, they would
do something like two weeks at 10,000 lbs, followed by a week at 14,000
lbs and then drop by to 7,000 lbs. They would do 2-3 cycles of this and
then possibly up your average week to 11,000 lbs.

They also tend to limit the maximum singles approach to about 20 weeks of
the 50 or 51 week training year.

Other than that - it appears to be a pretty good program.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

Keith Hobman
July 11th 03, 04:05 PM
In article >, "Theresa"