PDA

View Full Version : Re: Feedback on PowerBlocks

JC Der Koenig
July 11th 03, 06:08 PM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> OK, people, I just got back from the shop (actually, went ot the bank and
> picked up a hot dog as well...hehe) to assess in person, some PowerBlocks.
> Man, are they expensive. $500 Canadian for the Pro Rexan's. Then if I
want
> to go over 45 pounds, another $565. Moses.
>
> Well, I'm going to start lifting again, and originally saw the crossbow
> (bowflex competitor) and was told not to go with a home gym, but to go
with
> a bench and PowerBlocks.
>
> Well I now think that the PowerBlocks route would be more expensive, and I
> don't want to go to every garage sale in Toronto looking for weights, nor
> get a dumbell set, as I have very little space to play when I move in
> August.
>
> I'm trying to lose about 50 pounds, and get some of my younger fitness
back.

> Can I hear from others that use these, and what they've achieved with
them?

Bodyweight exercises would be more effective than 45 pound anything, and
much more cost effective. Perhaps you should try doing pushups and pullups
before you consider buying anything.

JC Der Koenig
July 11th 03, 06:08 PM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> OK, people, I just got back from the shop (actually, went ot the bank and
> picked up a hot dog as well...hehe) to assess in person, some PowerBlocks.
> Man, are they expensive. $500 Canadian for the Pro Rexan's. Then if I
want
> to go over 45 pounds, another $565. Moses.
>
> Well, I'm going to start lifting again, and originally saw the crossbow
> (bowflex competitor) and was told not to go with a home gym, but to go
with
> a bench and PowerBlocks.
>
> Well I now think that the PowerBlocks route would be more expensive, and I
> don't want to go to every garage sale in Toronto looking for weights, nor
> get a dumbell set, as I have very little space to play when I move in
> August.
>
> I'm trying to lose about 50 pounds, and get some of my younger fitness
back.

> Can I hear from others that use these, and what they've achieved with
them?

Bodyweight exercises would be more effective than 45 pound anything, and
much more cost effective. Perhaps you should try doing pushups and pullups
before you consider buying anything.

Steve Freides
July 11th 03, 07:23 PM
VP wrote:

> OK, people, I just got back from the shop (actually, went ot the bank and
> picked up a hot dog as well...hehe) to assess in person, some PowerBlocks.
> Man, are they expensive. $500 Canadian for the Pro Rexan's. Then if I want
> to go over 45 pounds, another $565. Moses.
>
> Well, I'm going to start lifting again, and originally saw the crossbow
> (bowflex competitor) and was told not to go with a home gym, but to go with
> a bench and PowerBlocks.
>
> Well I now think that the PowerBlocks route would be more expensive, and I
> don't want to go to every garage sale in Toronto looking for weights, nor
> get a dumbell set, as I have very little space to play when I move in
> August.
>
> I'm trying to lose about 50 pounds, and get some of my younger fitness back.
>
> Can I hear from others that use these, and what they've achieved with them?

With an Olympic barbell set, which costs about $150 here, you can do all
sorts of good things including deadlift, and front and overhead squat.
Head to the farm supply store and spend another $35 or so for a 4' x 6'
3/4" rubber floor mat (called a stall mat in the farm store) and you're
all set.

I've heard nothing but good things about Power Blocks, but I bought a
set of adjustable dumbbells that costs under $100 including weights, so
that might be a less expensive route to take, at least at first.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Steve Freides
July 11th 03, 07:23 PM
VP wrote:

> OK, people, I just got back from the shop (actually, went ot the bank and
> picked up a hot dog as well...hehe) to assess in person, some PowerBlocks.
> Man, are they expensive. $500 Canadian for the Pro Rexan's. Then if I want
> to go over 45 pounds, another $565. Moses.
>
> Well, I'm going to start lifting again, and originally saw the crossbow
> (bowflex competitor) and was told not to go with a home gym, but to go with
> a bench and PowerBlocks.
>
> Well I now think that the PowerBlocks route would be more expensive, and I
> don't want to go to every garage sale in Toronto looking for weights, nor
> get a dumbell set, as I have very little space to play when I move in
> August.
>
> I'm trying to lose about 50 pounds, and get some of my younger fitness back.
>
> Can I hear from others that use these, and what they've achieved with them?

With an Olympic barbell set, which costs about $150 here, you can do all
sorts of good things including deadlift, and front and overhead squat.
Head to the farm supply store and spend another $35 or so for a 4' x 6'
3/4" rubber floor mat (called a stall mat in the farm store) and you're
all set.

I've heard nothing but good things about Power Blocks, but I bought a
set of adjustable dumbbells that costs under $100 including weights, so
that might be a less expensive route to take, at least at first.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

VP
July 11th 03, 08:04 PM
JC Der Koenig,

> Bodyweight exercises would be more effective than 45 pound anything, and
> much more cost effective. Perhaps you should try doing pushups and pullups
> before you consider buying anything.

I hardly see how that will be effective. Next you'll give me advice on
walking? Pushups and pullups. Triceps and biceps. Great. 5 inches of
muscle out of a whole body. I'm looking for a workout I can rely on, not
ways to save money.

Secondly, I have biked over this city some days for 6 hours on a regular
basis over the past 3 years, pushing not only body weight, but the weight of
the bike as well.

Again, I'm asking for feedback from people that have used PowerBlocks.

Thanks.

VP
July 11th 03, 08:04 PM
JC Der Koenig,

> Bodyweight exercises would be more effective than 45 pound anything, and
> much more cost effective. Perhaps you should try doing pushups and pullups
> before you consider buying anything.

I hardly see how that will be effective. Next you'll give me advice on
walking? Pushups and pullups. Triceps and biceps. Great. 5 inches of
muscle out of a whole body. I'm looking for a workout I can rely on, not
ways to save money.

Secondly, I have biked over this city some days for 6 hours on a regular
basis over the past 3 years, pushing not only body weight, but the weight of
the bike as well.

Again, I'm asking for feedback from people that have used PowerBlocks.

Thanks.

VP
July 11th 03, 08:08 PM
Steve Freides,

> With an Olympic barbell set, which costs about $150 here, you can do all
> sorts of good things including deadlift, and front and overhead squat.
> Head to the farm supply store and spend another $35 or so for a 4' x 6'
> 3/4" rubber floor mat (called a stall mat in the farm store) and you're
> all set.

I don't have the space. Hence the powerblocks.

> I've heard nothing but good things about Power Blocks, but I bought a
> set of adjustable dumbbells that costs under $100 including weights, so
> that might be a less expensive route to take, at least at first.

I don't mind putting the money out for these, as it saves space and gives me
variable weight building. Again, I was going to get a home gym, then people
in here swayed me from doing so, towards focussing on freeweights instead.

I've heard good things about these things, and I do have limitations such as
space and time. So, I'm just trying to solicit some feedback on these
specifically, and probably some general weightlifting results for what I'm
trying to do.

Thanks for the email.

Cheers.

VP
July 11th 03, 08:08 PM
Steve Freides,

> With an Olympic barbell set, which costs about $150 here, you can do all
> sorts of good things including deadlift, and front and overhead squat.
> Head to the farm supply store and spend another $35 or so for a 4' x 6'
> 3/4" rubber floor mat (called a stall mat in the farm store) and you're
> all set.

I don't have the space. Hence the powerblocks.

> I've heard nothing but good things about Power Blocks, but I bought a
> set of adjustable dumbbells that costs under $100 including weights, so
> that might be a less expensive route to take, at least at first.

I don't mind putting the money out for these, as it saves space and gives me
variable weight building. Again, I was going to get a home gym, then people
in here swayed me from doing so, towards focussing on freeweights instead.

I've heard good things about these things, and I do have limitations such as
space and time. So, I'm just trying to solicit some feedback on these
specifically, and probably some general weightlifting results for what I'm
trying to do.

Thanks for the email.

Cheers.

JC Der Koenig
July 11th 03, 09:04 PM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> JC Der Koenig,
>
> > Bodyweight exercises would be more effective than 45 pound anything, and
> > much more cost effective. Perhaps you should try doing pushups and
pullups
> > before you consider buying anything.
>
> I hardly see how that will be effective. Next you'll give me advice on
> walking? Pushups and pullups. Triceps and biceps. Great. 5 inches of
> muscle out of a whole body. I'm looking for a workout I can rely on, not
> ways to save money.
>
> Secondly, I have biked over this city some days for 6 hours on a regular
> basis over the past 3 years, pushing not only body weight, but the weight
of
> the bike as well.
>
> Again, I'm asking for feedback from people that have used PowerBlocks.
>
> Thanks.

Ok ya ****in' idiot. 45 pounds is a girls workout. You have to weigh more
than that exspurt. But ok. I guess pullups are just an arm exercise. I had
no idea. hahahaha.

JC Der Koenig
July 11th 03, 09:04 PM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> JC Der Koenig,
>
> > Bodyweight exercises would be more effective than 45 pound anything, and
> > much more cost effective. Perhaps you should try doing pushups and
pullups
> > before you consider buying anything.
>
> I hardly see how that will be effective. Next you'll give me advice on
> walking? Pushups and pullups. Triceps and biceps. Great. 5 inches of
> muscle out of a whole body. I'm looking for a workout I can rely on, not
> ways to save money.
>
> Secondly, I have biked over this city some days for 6 hours on a regular
> basis over the past 3 years, pushing not only body weight, but the weight
of
> the bike as well.
>
> Again, I'm asking for feedback from people that have used PowerBlocks.
>
> Thanks.

Ok ya ****in' idiot. 45 pounds is a girls workout. You have to weigh more
than that exspurt. But ok. I guess pullups are just an arm exercise. I had
no idea. hahahaha.

Steve Freides
July 11th 03, 09:30 PM
VP wrote:

> Steve Freides,
>
> > With an Olympic barbell set, which costs about $150 here, you can do all
> > sorts of good things including deadlift, and front and overhead squat.
> > Head to the farm supply store and spend another $35 or so for a 4' x 6'
> > 3/4" rubber floor mat (called a stall mat in the farm store) and you're
> > all set.
>
> I don't have the space. Hence the powerblocks.

I don't know how much space you've got but, in addition to an Olympic 7'
bar, you can get shorter versions. We have a 6' bar here that accepts
Olympic weights. 5' bars aren't hard to come by, either. If you've
going to lay on your back and open both arms out to the side, you'll
likely be taking up close to 6', anyway. Just a thought, that's all. I
used to deadlift on a single 4'x6' mat without problems using a 7' bar -
the ends just stick over the sides 6" or so. We stuck the mat in a
corner and that was the end of it. You take the weights off the bar and
stick the bar up in the corner when you're done.

> > I've heard nothing but good things about Power Blocks, but I bought a
> > set of adjustable dumbbells that costs under $100 including weights, so
> > that might be a less expensive route to take, at least at first.
>
> I don't mind putting the money out for these, as it saves space and gives me
> variable weight building. Again, I was going to get a home gym, then people
> in here swayed me from doing so, towards focussing on freeweights instead.

This is a good. You can always consider kettlebells, too, which are
what I use. One kettlebell takes up very little space and training
around the things is predicated on the fact that they change only in 18
lbs. increments, so you don't ever have to have many of them.
http://www.kbnj.com, see the "Starting With Kettlebells" article.

> I've heard good things about these things, and I do have limitations such as
> space and time. So, I'm just trying to solicit some feedback on these
> specifically, and probably some general weightlifting results for what I'm
> trying to do.

Like I said, I know several people who've used them and no one has had a
bad word to say about them. I don't think you'll go wrong with
PowerBlocks.

-S-

> Thanks for the email.
>
> Cheers.

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Steve Freides
July 11th 03, 09:30 PM
VP wrote:

> Steve Freides,
>
> > With an Olympic barbell set, which costs about $150 here, you can do all
> > sorts of good things including deadlift, and front and overhead squat.
> > Head to the farm supply store and spend another $35 or so for a 4' x 6'
> > 3/4" rubber floor mat (called a stall mat in the farm store) and you're
> > all set.
>
> I don't have the space. Hence the powerblocks.

I don't know how much space you've got but, in addition to an Olympic 7'
bar, you can get shorter versions. We have a 6' bar here that accepts
Olympic weights. 5' bars aren't hard to come by, either. If you've
going to lay on your back and open both arms out to the side, you'll
likely be taking up close to 6', anyway. Just a thought, that's all. I
used to deadlift on a single 4'x6' mat without problems using a 7' bar -
the ends just stick over the sides 6" or so. We stuck the mat in a
corner and that was the end of it. You take the weights off the bar and
stick the bar up in the corner when you're done.

> > I've heard nothing but good things about Power Blocks, but I bought a
> > set of adjustable dumbbells that costs under $100 including weights, so
> > that might be a less expensive route to take, at least at first.
>
> I don't mind putting the money out for these, as it saves space and gives me
> variable weight building. Again, I was going to get a home gym, then people
> in here swayed me from doing so, towards focussing on freeweights instead.

This is a good. You can always consider kettlebells, too, which are
what I use. One kettlebell takes up very little space and training
around the things is predicated on the fact that they change only in 18
lbs. increments, so you don't ever have to have many of them.
http://www.kbnj.com, see the "Starting With Kettlebells" article.

> I've heard good things about these things, and I do have limitations such as
> space and time. So, I'm just trying to solicit some feedback on these
> specifically, and probably some general weightlifting results for what I'm
> trying to do.

Like I said, I know several people who've used them and no one has had a
bad word to say about them. I don't think you'll go wrong with
PowerBlocks.

-S-

> Thanks for the email.
>
> Cheers.

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

VP
July 11th 03, 09:42 PM
JC Der Koenig,

> Ok ya ****in' idiot. 45 pounds is a girls workout. You have to weigh more
> than that exspurt. But ok. I guess pullups are just an arm exercise. I had
> no idea. hahahaha.

Go slam yer tiny dick in the closet door. That will take care of your
attitude.

VP
July 11th 03, 09:42 PM
JC Der Koenig,

> Ok ya ****in' idiot. 45 pounds is a girls workout. You have to weigh more
> than that exspurt. But ok. I guess pullups are just an arm exercise. I had
> no idea. hahahaha.

Go slam yer tiny dick in the closet door. That will take care of your
attitude.

VP
July 11th 03, 09:46 PM
Steve Freides,

> I don't know how much space you've got but, in addition to an Olympic 7'
> bar, you can get shorter versions. We have a 6' bar here that accepts
> Olympic weights. 5' bars aren't hard to come by, either. If you've
> going to lay on your back and open both arms out to the side, you'll
> likely be taking up close to 6', anyway. Just a thought, that's all. I
> used to deadlift on a single 4'x6' mat without problems using a 7' bar -
> the ends just stick over the sides 6" or so. We stuck the mat in a
> corner and that was the end of it. You take the weights off the bar and
> stick the bar up in the corner when you're done.

Ya, see neither would fit. I'm heading back to university (yet again) and
am working out of a single room with all my stuff, so I'm tight up for
space. Floor space is already taken up, so having the weights alone will be
just about right.

> This is a good. You can always consider kettlebells, too, which are
> what I use. One kettlebell takes up very little space and training
> around the things is predicated on the fact that they change only in 18
> lbs. increments, so you don't ever have to have many of them.
> http://www.kbnj.com, see the "Starting With Kettlebells" article.

I saw those. They seem interesting. I've reviewed some of the stuff. I'll
see if there's a local supplier in the town I'm moving to.

>> I've heard good things about these things, and I do have limitations such as
>> space and time. So, I'm just trying to solicit some feedback on these
>> specifically, and probably some general weightlifting results for what I'm
>> trying to do.
>
> Like I said, I know several people who've used them and no one has had a
> bad word to say about them. I don't think you'll go wrong with
> PowerBlocks.

Good show. I'm anxious to get started. Maybe next week I'll see a pair of
the Rexans.

Cheers. Good to see someone with some positive feedback that's reasonable.
This newsgroup certianly has its kooks.

VP
July 11th 03, 09:46 PM
Steve Freides,

> I don't know how much space you've got but, in addition to an Olympic 7'
> bar, you can get shorter versions. We have a 6' bar here that accepts
> Olympic weights. 5' bars aren't hard to come by, either. If you've
> going to lay on your back and open both arms out to the side, you'll
> likely be taking up close to 6', anyway. Just a thought, that's all. I
> used to deadlift on a single 4'x6' mat without problems using a 7' bar -
> the ends just stick over the sides 6" or so. We stuck the mat in a
> corner and that was the end of it. You take the weights off the bar and
> stick the bar up in the corner when you're done.

Ya, see neither would fit. I'm heading back to university (yet again) and
am working out of a single room with all my stuff, so I'm tight up for
space. Floor space is already taken up, so having the weights alone will be
just about right.

> This is a good. You can always consider kettlebells, too, which are
> what I use. One kettlebell takes up very little space and training
> around the things is predicated on the fact that they change only in 18
> lbs. increments, so you don't ever have to have many of them.
> http://www.kbnj.com, see the "Starting With Kettlebells" article.

I saw those. They seem interesting. I've reviewed some of the stuff. I'll
see if there's a local supplier in the town I'm moving to.

>> I've heard good things about these things, and I do have limitations such as
>> space and time. So, I'm just trying to solicit some feedback on these
>> specifically, and probably some general weightlifting results for what I'm
>> trying to do.
>
> Like I said, I know several people who've used them and no one has had a
> bad word to say about them. I don't think you'll go wrong with
> PowerBlocks.

Good show. I'm anxious to get started. Maybe next week I'll see a pair of
the Rexans.

Cheers. Good to see someone with some positive feedback that's reasonable.
This newsgroup certianly has its kooks.

JC Der Koenig
July 11th 03, 10:05 PM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> JC Der Koenig,
>
> > Ok ya ****in' idiot. 45 pounds is a girls workout. You have to weigh
more
> > than that exspurt. But ok. I guess pullups are just an arm exercise. I
had
> > no idea. hahahaha.
>
> Go slam yer tiny dick in the closet door. That will take care of your
> attitude.

Try doing a couple of pushups pussy, and then a pullup if you're not too
weak. Let me know how to turn these into arm isolation exercises. hahahahaa.
Oh. I get it now. You need something lighter than bodyweight because your
bodyweight is about ten times heavier than you can manage.

And how do you know my dick is tiny? You been peepin? Pervert.

JC Der Koenig
July 11th 03, 10:05 PM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> JC Der Koenig,
>
> > Ok ya ****in' idiot. 45 pounds is a girls workout. You have to weigh
more
> > than that exspurt. But ok. I guess pullups are just an arm exercise. I
had
> > no idea. hahahaha.
>
> Go slam yer tiny dick in the closet door. That will take care of your
> attitude.

Try doing a couple of pushups pussy, and then a pullup if you're not too
weak. Let me know how to turn these into arm isolation exercises. hahahahaa.
Oh. I get it now. You need something lighter than bodyweight because your
bodyweight is about ten times heavier than you can manage.

And how do you know my dick is tiny? You been peepin? Pervert.

VP
July 12th 03, 01:03 AM
JC Der Koenig,

> Try doing a couple of pushups pussy, and then a pullup if you're not too
> weak. Let me know how to turn these into arm isolation exercises. hahahahaa.
> Oh. I get it now. You need something lighter than bodyweight because your
> bodyweight is about ten times heavier than you can manage.

Actually, my personal trainer said I was above average for upper body
strength. Hence the desire to work on it. As well, I know I'm many times
smarter than your pathetic ass. Apparentlly you have problems reading.

> And how do you know my dick is tiny?

Because you behave like a fool in this newsgroup.

VP
July 12th 03, 01:03 AM
JC Der Koenig,

> Try doing a couple of pushups pussy, and then a pullup if you're not too
> weak. Let me know how to turn these into arm isolation exercises. hahahahaa.
> Oh. I get it now. You need something lighter than bodyweight because your
> bodyweight is about ten times heavier than you can manage.

Actually, my personal trainer said I was above average for upper body
strength. Hence the desire to work on it. As well, I know I'm many times
smarter than your pathetic ass. Apparentlly you have problems reading.

> And how do you know my dick is tiny?

Because you behave like a fool in this newsgroup.

JC Der Koenig
July 12th 03, 01:13 AM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> JC Der Koenig,
>
> > Try doing a couple of pushups pussy, and then a pullup if you're not too
> > weak. Let me know how to turn these into arm isolation exercises.
hahahahaa.
> > Oh. I get it now. You need something lighter than bodyweight because
your
> > bodyweight is about ten times heavier than you can manage.
>
> Actually, my personal trainer said I was above average for upper body
> strength. Hence the desire to work on it. As well, I know I'm many times
> smarter than your pathetic ass. Apparentlly you have problems reading.

I'm sure your personal trainer would never lie to you. Even for money.

Obviously you've never done pushups or pullups as you think they are
isolation exercises. Perhaps you need to run that by your personal trainer.
I'm sure he'll tell you that 45 pound whatevers are definitely much more
beneficial for strength gains.

JC Der Koenig
July 12th 03, 01:13 AM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> JC Der Koenig,
>
> > Try doing a couple of pushups pussy, and then a pullup if you're not too
> > weak. Let me know how to turn these into arm isolation exercises.
hahahahaa.
> > Oh. I get it now. You need something lighter than bodyweight because
your
> > bodyweight is about ten times heavier than you can manage.
>
> Actually, my personal trainer said I was above average for upper body
> strength. Hence the desire to work on it. As well, I know I'm many times
> smarter than your pathetic ass. Apparentlly you have problems reading.

I'm sure your personal trainer would never lie to you. Even for money.

Obviously you've never done pushups or pullups as you think they are
isolation exercises. Perhaps you need to run that by your personal trainer.
I'm sure he'll tell you that 45 pound whatevers are definitely much more
beneficial for strength gains.

VP
July 12th 03, 01:27 AM
JC Der Koenig,

> I'm sure your personal trainer would never lie to you. Even for money.

Hey at least he was reasonable. You've been nothing but a prick since your
first ignorant post. You want attention? Buy a dog.

> Obviously you've never done pushups or pullups as you think they are
> isolation exercises. Perhaps you need to run that by your personal trainer.
> I'm sure he'll tell you that 45 pound whatevers are definitely much more
> beneficial for strength gains.

No I've never done any pushups in my life. Never. But you, Mr. Meathead,
own the pushup. You've done thousands...to the point it's given you great
abs.

Who needs a personal trainer to understand pushups and pullups don't cover
what freeweights can? Obviously you do.

Now go play in the traffic, brainiac.

VP
July 12th 03, 01:27 AM
JC Der Koenig,

> I'm sure your personal trainer would never lie to you. Even for money.

Hey at least he was reasonable. You've been nothing but a prick since your
first ignorant post. You want attention? Buy a dog.

> Obviously you've never done pushups or pullups as you think they are
> isolation exercises. Perhaps you need to run that by your personal trainer.
> I'm sure he'll tell you that 45 pound whatevers are definitely much more
> beneficial for strength gains.

No I've never done any pushups in my life. Never. But you, Mr. Meathead,
own the pushup. You've done thousands...to the point it's given you great
abs.

Who needs a personal trainer to understand pushups and pullups don't cover
what freeweights can? Obviously you do.

Now go play in the traffic, brainiac.

JC Der Koenig
July 12th 03, 02:00 AM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> JC Der Koenig,
>
> > I'm sure your personal trainer would never lie to you. Even for money.
>
> Hey at least he was reasonable. You've been nothing but a prick since
your
> first ignorant post. You want attention? Buy a dog.
>
> > Obviously you've never done pushups or pullups as you think they are
> > isolation exercises. Perhaps you need to run that by your personal
trainer.
> > I'm sure he'll tell you that 45 pound whatevers are definitely much more
> > beneficial for strength gains.
>
> No I've never done any pushups in my life. Never. But you, Mr. Meathead,
> own the pushup. You've done thousands...to the point it's given you great
> abs.
>
> Who needs a personal trainer to understand pushups and pullups don't cover
> what freeweights can? Obviously you do.
>
> Now go play in the traffic, brainiac.

Obviously you've got it all figured out, so go get your little barbie
dumbells and come back with results in 6 months to throw in my face. Or get
that crossbow thing so you can go grrrrr like the chick.

JC Der Koenig
July 12th 03, 02:00 AM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> JC Der Koenig,
>
> > I'm sure your personal trainer would never lie to you. Even for money.
>
> Hey at least he was reasonable. You've been nothing but a prick since
your
> first ignorant post. You want attention? Buy a dog.
>
> > Obviously you've never done pushups or pullups as you think they are
> > isolation exercises. Perhaps you need to run that by your personal
trainer.
> > I'm sure he'll tell you that 45 pound whatevers are definitely much more
> > beneficial for strength gains.
>
> No I've never done any pushups in my life. Never. But you, Mr. Meathead,
> own the pushup. You've done thousands...to the point it's given you great
> abs.
>
> Who needs a personal trainer to understand pushups and pullups don't cover
> what freeweights can? Obviously you do.
>
> Now go play in the traffic, brainiac.

Obviously you've got it all figured out, so go get your little barbie
dumbells and come back with results in 6 months to throw in my face. Or get
that crossbow thing so you can go grrrrr like the chick.

VP
July 12th 03, 08:34 AM
Steve Freides,

>> I saw those. They seem interesting. I've reviewed some of the stuff. I'll
>> see if there's a local supplier in the town I'm moving to.
>
> There aren't many people who stock them. You can post on the Dragon
> Door forum and see if there's anyone local carrying them. I'm probably
> going to start stocking at least a few here (northern NJ) starting in
> the Fall.

The angle of the freeweights is a solid one, when explained with the
stabilizing muscles. Makes common sense. I like the idea of 'open
exercises' with these units, so that it ain't a localized exercise. Options
open.

> -snip-
>
>> Cheers. Good to see someone with some positive feedback that's reasonable.
>> This newsgroup certianly has its kooks.
>
> Thank you for the kind words. If it's OK with you, I'd like to offer
> "reasonable" advice and still be one of the kooks, though. :)

Your vote. At this point, those I label kooks are those morons that have
little ability to talk about things. Being inbred is not their fault.

VP
July 12th 03, 08:34 AM
Steve Freides,

>> I saw those. They seem interesting. I've reviewed some of the stuff. I'll
>> see if there's a local supplier in the town I'm moving to.
>
> There aren't many people who stock them. You can post on the Dragon
> Door forum and see if there's anyone local carrying them. I'm probably
> going to start stocking at least a few here (northern NJ) starting in
> the Fall.

The angle of the freeweights is a solid one, when explained with the
stabilizing muscles. Makes common sense. I like the idea of 'open
exercises' with these units, so that it ain't a localized exercise. Options
open.

> -snip-
>
>> Cheers. Good to see someone with some positive feedback that's reasonable.
>> This newsgroup certianly has its kooks.
>
> Thank you for the kind words. If it's OK with you, I'd like to offer
> "reasonable" advice and still be one of the kooks, though. :)

Your vote. At this point, those I label kooks are those morons that have
little ability to talk about things. Being inbred is not their fault.

Piscanthropus Profundus
July 12th 03, 10:37 AM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> JC Der Koenig,
>
> > Bodyweight exercises would be more effective than 45 pound anything, and
> > much more cost effective. Perhaps you should try doing pushups and
pullups
> > before you consider buying anything.
>
> I hardly see how that will be effective. Next you'll give me advice on
> walking? Pushups and pullups. Triceps and biceps. Great. 5 inches of
> muscle out of a whole body.

Pushups involve pectorals mainly, while pull-ups [not chins] involve lats.

> I'm looking for a workout I can rely on, not
> ways to save money.
>
> Secondly, I have biked over this city some days for 6 hours on a regular
> basis over the past 3 years, pushing not only body weight, but the weight
of
> the bike as well.
>
> Again, I'm asking for feedback from people that have used PowerBlocks.

Have not. Far too expensive.

Piscanthropus Profundus
July 12th 03, 10:37 AM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> JC Der Koenig,
>
> > Bodyweight exercises would be more effective than 45 pound anything, and
> > much more cost effective. Perhaps you should try doing pushups and
pullups
> > before you consider buying anything.
>
> I hardly see how that will be effective. Next you'll give me advice on
> walking? Pushups and pullups. Triceps and biceps. Great. 5 inches of
> muscle out of a whole body.

Pushups involve pectorals mainly, while pull-ups [not chins] involve lats.

> I'm looking for a workout I can rely on, not
> ways to save money.
>
> Secondly, I have biked over this city some days for 6 hours on a regular
> basis over the past 3 years, pushing not only body weight, but the weight
of
> the bike as well.
>
> Again, I'm asking for feedback from people that have used PowerBlocks.

Have not. Far too expensive.

JC Der Koenig
July 12th 03, 03:11 PM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> JC Der Koenig,
>
> > Obviously you've got it all figured out, so go get your little barbie
> > dumbells and come back with results in 6 months to throw in my face. Or
get
> > that crossbow thing so you can go grrrrr like the chick.
>
> You seem to think I'd doing this to come back to YOUR stupid face? No
> wonder you challenged a logical question to begin with! People like you
are
> the reason medication has been created. You actually think I'm here for
> ...YOU? Hahahahaha. If I get the results I'm looking for, I'll be
> happy..at which point you will still be here, pretending to be some kind
of
> person with an education.
>
> You, dork, are an idiot. You lack reasonability, stability, and
knowledge!
> Newsgroups like this are probally rampant of those that have little
> education, little insight, and people that probably resort to becoming
meat
> heads. At the end of the day, no matter now big you are, you've proven
> yourself to be an idiot. You'll beat up people, and find yerself in jail!
> Yer a goof! Geddit?

I can now see that you're the ultra-sensitive type. Try yoga. Weightlifting
will obviously be too painful. :-)

JC Der Koenig
July 12th 03, 03:11 PM
"VP" > wrote in message ...
> JC Der Koenig,
>
> > Obviously you've got it all figured out, so go get your little barbie
> > dumbells and come back with results in 6 months to throw in my face. Or
get
> > that crossbow thing so you can go grrrrr like the chick.
>
> You seem to think I'd doing this to come back to YOUR stupid face? No
> wonder you challenged a logical question to begin with! People like you
are
> the reason medication has been created. You actually think I'm here for
> ...YOU? Hahahahaha. If I get the results I'm looking for, I'll be
> happy..at which point you will still be here, pretending to be some kind
of
> person with an education.
>
> You, dork, are an idiot. You lack reasonability, stability, and
knowledge!
> Newsgroups like this are probally rampant of those that have little
> education, little insight, and people that probably resort to becoming
meat
> heads. At the end of the day, no matter now big you are, you've proven
> yourself to be an idiot. You'll beat up people, and find yerself in jail!
> Yer a goof! Geddit?

I can now see that you're the ultra-sensitive type. Try yoga. Weightlifting
will obviously be too painful. :-)

Phil
July 14th 03, 07:12 PM
Steve Freides > wrote in message

> I've heard nothing but good things about Power Blocks, but I bought a
> set of adjustable dumbbells that costs under $100 including weights, so
> that might be a less expensive route to take, at least at first.
>
> -S-

At under $20 for good standard adjustable dumbells, and about $.50/lb
for weight, I don't think Powerblocks compare well. Nice and easy to
use, sure, but hardly a better workout.

Yes I would like a set, but not for that price. I have 2 dumbells with
60 lbs each and can make any weight change combination in under 60
sec, most under 30. Other than convenience, I see no reason to
upgrade to anything else.

Just buy good ones, they're not that much more. I learned the cheap
"Sears Special" chrome dumbells liked to give me chrome slivers.

Phil
July 14th 03, 07:12 PM
Steve Freides > wrote in message

> I've heard nothing but good things about Power Blocks, but I bought a
> set of adjustable dumbbells that costs under $100 including weights, so
> that might be a less expensive route to take, at least at first.
>
> -S-

At under $20 for good standard adjustable dumbells, and about $.50/lb
for weight, I don't think Powerblocks compare well. Nice and easy to
use, sure, but hardly a better workout.

Yes I would like a set, but not for that price. I have 2 dumbells with
60 lbs each and can make any weight change combination in under 60
sec, most under 30. Other than convenience, I see no reason to
upgrade to anything else.

Just buy good ones, they're not that much more. I learned the cheap
"Sears Special" chrome dumbells liked to give me chrome slivers.

Seth Breidbart
July 16th 03, 02:22 AM
In article >,
Steve Freides > wrote:
>VP wrote:
>>
>> OK, people, I just got back from the shop (actually, went ot the bank and
>> picked up a hot dog as well...hehe) to assess in person, some PowerBlocks.
>> Man, are they expensive. $500 Canadian for the Pro Rexan's. Then if I want
>> to go over 45 pounds, another $565. Moses.

>I've heard nothing but good things about Power Blocks, but I bought a
>set of adjustable dumbbells that costs under $100 including weights, so
>that might be a less expensive route to take, at least at first.

Or, you might want to look into kettlebells.

I guess Steve isn't into those :-)

>http://www.kbnj.com

Seth
--
Who cares? Shut up and lift. -- Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Seth Breidbart
July 16th 03, 02:22 AM
In article >,
Steve Freides > wrote:
>VP wrote:
>>
>> OK, people, I just got back from the shop (actually, went ot the bank and
>> picked up a hot dog as well...hehe) to assess in person, some PowerBlocks.
>> Man, are they expensive. $500 Canadian for the Pro Rexan's. Then if I want
>> to go over 45 pounds, another $565. Moses.

>I've heard nothing but good things about Power Blocks, but I bought a
>set of adjustable dumbbells that costs under $100 including weights, so
>that might be a less expensive route to take, at least at first.

Or, you might want to look into kettlebells.

I guess Steve isn't into those :-)

>http://www.kbnj.com

Seth
--
Who cares? Shut up and lift. -- Watson (the pencil neck) Davis