PDA

View Full Version : My Weider CrossBow Experience

Dxmetal2003
July 12th 03, 07:04 AM
After doing extensive research on the web , i decided to purchase the crossbow
instead of the bowflex few weeks ago.

I got mine from sears for $599 including the lat attachment instead of the $
2000 bowflex. I was every excited and immediately started working out with
them. Setting up was not difficult, just the chore of sorting out the diff
bolts, nuts,
washers can be a long winding evening. It takes on the average 4 hours just to
set the machine up.

The quality of the materials are top notch and sturdy, i do not see how it is
inferior to a bowflex. However quality control can be better. On the seat
pulley (near the leg) where the bolt has to go through in order to hold the
pulley, there is an excessive metal that was not shaven off. This hinders the
bolt from going through the hole and stripped the original bolt (i shouldnt
have forced it anyways)!! However, 20 seconds of dramel works and a new bolt
fixed this quickly.

Once the machine is all set up, and with the viewing of the video tape and
chart the workout begins. I must confess that the progressive weigh feel is a
little odd than the feeling of good ol' bar and dumb bells. The weight on the
power rods are not in anyway equivalent to the weights of real barbells and
dumbbells. During workout, I felt good burn on all muscles, dropping all of my
skeptisims of the " weight pulley" theory. My standard regine consists of 3
sets of 10 reps to failure (in terms of weights)

Unfortunately, the next morning i was stunned and puzzled as of why my muscles
doesnt have that good old "soreness" feel to it. In fact, it was as if, i
didint put enough effort into my workouts at all. I felt that most of the
efforts in pushing the power rods actually went to the stabilizing muscles as
claied by the manufacturer. Puzzling it might be, but i do not feel any
soreness or burns on any of the stabilizing muscles either !

Armed with the advice from the experienced guys from egroup's crossbow members,
i alter my training methods. This time, slowing down the motion to 4
secs up and 4 secs down with max weight that i can handle for 8 reps. As an
example, i did the above said ethods for the flat press and chest fly.

BOOM ! the next morning indeed there ist a little of em good ol' sore on the
upper chest muscle. As for comparison, it is probarbly only 20% of the soreness
and burn that i am used to get with a traditional bench press. Also, the area
of my
burn is only limited to the upper chest unlike with traditional weights where i
can feel the burn on at least 80% of the chest area.

This afternoon, i dismantled the crossbow and bought it back to Sears for full
refund. It has been a good 3 weeks workout for me on the crossbow, however it
does not suit my needs for now. I am going back to purchase the good ole bench
and bar bells. I felt that i am much more efficient with traditional weights vs
the bow or power rods or power bands.. In essence, i think the crossbow would
be an excellent machine for people that are doing circuit training/toning.
During my experience working out with the crossbow, i found out that *for me* a
standard barbell and dumbells are certainly much more effiecient and effective
in targeting the working muscle/area.

I am glad that i purchased the crossbow locally at Sears and not though mail
order. After going through this, in my humble opinion people should definitely
give the "weight pulley" system a personal try before dumping $ 599 or $2000 on
a bowflex. Although i get charged for sales tax (refunded fully for returns), i
cannot imagine in packing up and sending a 200 lbs box back to the
manufacturer. Not to mention the shipping cost, and good luck in trying to put
everything back in the box.

I am not here to knock the crossbow or the bowflex, just try to contribute my
experience with the crossbow. I know a lot of people are seeking advice on
these type of "bow/pulley" machine. In my humble opinion, any piece of machine,
may it be $0.99 or $10,000 that can make you amd motivate you to do some
workout regime is indeed a GEM. However, i can atest that "weight pullet" might
not be universally suitable for everybody. I suggest people really go try it
out personally or purchase it from a local store for the ease of return (if
desired).

--- I Do not argue with Idiots, They just bring you down to their level and
then beat you with experience ---

steve4454
July 12th 03, 03:51 PM
Thank you. Very interesting post.

"Dxmetal2003" > wrote in message
> [...]

> everything back in the box.
>
> I am not here to knock the crossbow or the bowflex, just try to contribute
my
> experience with the crossbow. I know a lot of people are seeking advice on
> these type of "bow/pulley" machine. In my humble opinion, any piece of
machine,
> may it be $0.99 or $10,000 that can make you amd motivate you to do some
> workout regime is indeed a GEM. However, i can atest that "weight pullet"
might
> not be universally suitable for everybody. I suggest people really go try
it
> out personally or purchase it from a local store for the ease of return
(if
> desired).
>

> --- I Do not argue with Idiots, They just bring you down to their level

Mickey Moran
July 15th 03, 05:49 PM
(Kobe Tyson Simpson) wrote in message >...
> As a general rule, anything with the "Weider" name on it is absolute garbage.
> www.xenu.net

I have been using the Crossbow for 1 month tomorrow and I can
already tell a huge difference in my body. My biceps are already much
larger and my chest is starting to show a difference. I love this
machine. Contrary to the previous post, Weider has been a leader in
exercise equipment for many years. I follow a split routine of 3 days
on and 1 off as follows:

Day 1: Chest/Shoulders
Day 2: Arms/Back
Day 3: Abs/Legs
Day 4: Off

This machine works.

Mickey Moran
July 15th 03, 05:49 PM
(Kobe Tyson Simpson) wrote in message >...
> As a general rule, anything with the "Weider" name on it is absolute garbage.
> www.xenu.net

I have been using the Crossbow for 1 month tomorrow and I can
already tell a huge difference in my body. My biceps are already much
larger and my chest is starting to show a difference. I love this
machine. Contrary to the previous post, Weider has been a leader in
exercise equipment for many years. I follow a split routine of 3 days
on and 1 off as follows:

Day 1: Chest/Shoulders
Day 2: Arms/Back
Day 3: Abs/Legs
Day 4: Off

This machine works.

cl
July 15th 03, 08:06 PM
Mickey Moran wrote:

> I have been using the Crossbow for 1 month tomorrow and I can

How are you able to pack 1 month into a day?

cl
July 15th 03, 08:06 PM
Mickey Moran wrote:

> I have been using the Crossbow for 1 month tomorrow and I can

How are you able to pack 1 month into a day?

Kobe Tyson Simpson
July 15th 03, 08:10 PM
>From: (Mickey Moran)

>Weider has been a leader in
>exercise equipment for many years.

IOM Nomination!
www.xenu.net

Kobe Tyson Simpson
July 15th 03, 08:10 PM
>From: (Mickey Moran)

>Weider has been a leader in
>exercise equipment for many years.

IOM Nomination!
www.xenu.net

Mickey Moran
July 16th 03, 04:30 PM
cl > wrote in message >...
> Mickey Moran wrote:
> >
> > I have been using the Crossbow for 1 month tomorrow and I can
>
> How are you able to pack 1 month into a day?

What?

Mickey Moran
July 16th 03, 04:30 PM
cl > wrote in message >...
> Mickey Moran wrote:
> >
> > I have been using the Crossbow for 1 month tomorrow and I can
>
> How are you able to pack 1 month into a day?

What?

Dxmetal2003
July 16th 03, 07:31 PM
in my humble opinion and my experience with the crossbow, you can get at least
3x the result you are getting now with the same effort if you were on
dumbbells, barbells and bench.

again, more importantly you are exercising and getting results. More POWER to
you