PDA

View Full Version : Re: Korte 3x3?

Big Chris
July 14th 03, 03:16 PM
Theresa wrote:
> So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
>
> More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
> weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?!
> Ha. Wade Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand
> his stuff in a few years.
>
> Korte, though, hey....
>
> I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
>
> 58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.

Korte 3x3 is a good plan, but I'd keep the deadlifts unless you have some
physical reason to not to it. Yeah dead's are hard, but they are important
to the plan as they give you a workout for areas not hit the same way.
While you might not be able to run around picking up the back of cars when
you are done, the dead's will help improve your overall strength.

Big Chris

Big Chris
July 14th 03, 03:16 PM
Theresa wrote:
> So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
>
> More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
> weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?!
> Ha. Wade Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand
> his stuff in a few years.
>
> Korte, though, hey....
>
> I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
>
> 58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.

Korte 3x3 is a good plan, but I'd keep the deadlifts unless you have some
physical reason to not to it. Yeah dead's are hard, but they are important
to the plan as they give you a workout for areas not hit the same way.
While you might not be able to run around picking up the back of cars when
you are done, the dead's will help improve your overall strength.

Big Chris

Dave H
July 14th 03, 03:24 PM
"Theresa" > wrote in message
> So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
>
> More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
> weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?! Ha.
Wade
> Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand his stuff in a
few
> years.
>
> Korte, though, hey....
>
> I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
>
> 58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.

I second the opinion of keeping the deadlifts. Even if you don't do the
Korte 3x3, do the deadlifts.

dave h

Dave H
July 14th 03, 03:24 PM
"Theresa" > wrote in message
> So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
>
> More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
> weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?! Ha.
Wade
> Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand his stuff in a
few
> years.
>
> Korte, though, hey....
>
> I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
>
> 58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.

I second the opinion of keeping the deadlifts. Even if you don't do the
Korte 3x3, do the deadlifts.

dave h

Hoff
July 14th 03, 04:11 PM
"Theresa" > wrote in message
> So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
>
> More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
> weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?! Ha.
Wade
> Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand his stuff in a
few
> years.
>
> Korte, though, hey....
>
> I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
>
> 58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.

Sharon really likes the 3x3, and it has worked well for her.

As others said, don't skip the deads. What we have done is drop the reps to
3 per set, though.

Hoff

Hoff
July 14th 03, 04:11 PM
"Theresa" > wrote in message
> So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
>
> More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
> weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?! Ha.
Wade
> Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand his stuff in a
few
> years.
>
> Korte, though, hey....
>
> I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
>
> 58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.

Sharon really likes the 3x3, and it has worked well for her.

As others said, don't skip the deads. What we have done is drop the reps to
3 per set, though.

Hoff

Robert Dorf
July 14th 03, 06:56 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:45:57 -0500, "Theresa" > wrote:

>So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
>
>More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
>weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?! Ha. Wade
>Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand his stuff in a few
>years.
>
>Korte, though, hey....
>
>I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
>
>58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.

Korte's program is excellent. I like deadlifts as a whole body
movement, and there not all that tough to learn (between exrx and
Krista's site you can pick up some good visuals and solid advice on
how to do them). Still, personal preference and all that.

As to starting at 58%, it gets heavier.

Robert Dorf
July 14th 03, 06:56 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:45:57 -0500, "Theresa" > wrote:

>So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
>
>More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
>weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?! Ha. Wade
>Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand his stuff in a few
>years.
>
>Korte, though, hey....
>
>I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
>
>58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.

Korte's program is excellent. I like deadlifts as a whole body
movement, and there not all that tough to learn (between exrx and
Krista's site you can pick up some good visuals and solid advice on
how to do them). Still, personal preference and all that.

As to starting at 58%, it gets heavier.

Chris Lee
July 15th 03, 06:49 PM
"Theresa" > wrote in
:

> So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
>
> More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
> weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?! Ha.
> Wade Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand his
> stuff in a few years.
>
> Korte, though, hey....
>
> I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
>
> 58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.

What's so scary about Westside?

Oly lifting is fun. You need a coach if you wanna compete. Not as
necessary to just start doing it.

This ain't rocket science, or bomb-building. It's ok to make a mistake or
twenty along the way - you won't kill yourself.

Chris Lee
July 15th 03, 06:49 PM
"Theresa" > wrote in
:

> So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
>
> More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
> weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?! Ha.
> Wade Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand his
> stuff in a few years.
>
> Korte, though, hey....
>
> I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
>
> 58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.

What's so scary about Westside?

Oly lifting is fun. You need a coach if you wanna compete. Not as
necessary to just start doing it.

This ain't rocket science, or bomb-building. It's ok to make a mistake or
twenty along the way - you won't kill yourself.

Theresa
July 15th 03, 09:02 PM
Chris Lee wrote:
> "Theresa" > wrote in
> :
>
>> So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
>>
>> More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
>> weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?!
>> Ha. Wade Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand
>> his stuff in a few years.
>>
>> Korte, though, hey....
>>
>> I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
>>
>> 58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.

> What's so scary about Westside?

Max effort days. Lyle said ego and heavy weights make for an unsafe
combination. Every time my arms shake on a bench I think about what a
hundred pounds of descending iron would do to my pretty smile.

> Oly lifting is fun. You need a coach if you wanna compete. Not as
> necessary to just start doing it.

Well, there's the ego thing. I can keep it in check, sure; but not forever.
I need a coach.

> This ain't rocket science, or bomb-building. It's ok to make a
> mistake or twenty along the way - you won't kill yourself.

Anyone ever die from bench pressing? It seems like it could happen.

--
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.

Theresa
July 15th 03, 09:02 PM
Chris Lee wrote:
> "Theresa" > wrote in
> :
>
>> So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
>>
>> More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
>> weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?!
>> Ha. Wade Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand
>> his stuff in a few years.
>>
>> Korte, though, hey....
>>
>> I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
>>
>> 58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.

> What's so scary about Westside?

Max effort days. Lyle said ego and heavy weights make for an unsafe
combination. Every time my arms shake on a bench I think about what a
hundred pounds of descending iron would do to my pretty smile.

> Oly lifting is fun. You need a coach if you wanna compete. Not as
> necessary to just start doing it.

Well, there's the ego thing. I can keep it in check, sure; but not forever.
I need a coach.

> This ain't rocket science, or bomb-building. It's ok to make a
> mistake or twenty along the way - you won't kill yourself.

Anyone ever die from bench pressing? It seems like it could happen.

--
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study hard. Be evil.

gps
July 17th 03, 05:37 PM
Theresa wrote:

> Chris Lee wrote:
> > "Theresa" > wrote in
> > :
> >
> >> So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
> >>
> >> More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
> >> weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?!
> >> Ha. Wade Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand
> >> his stuff in a few years.
> >>
> >> Korte, though, hey....
> >>
> >> I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
> >>
> >> 58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.
>
> > What's so scary about Westside?
>
> Max effort days. Lyle said ego and heavy weights make for an unsafe
> combination. Every time my arms shake on a bench I think about what a
> hundred pounds of descending iron would do to my pretty smile.
> >
> > Oly lifting is fun. You need a coach if you wanna compete. Not as
> > necessary to just start doing it.
>
> Well, there's the ego thing. I can keep it in check, sure; but not forever.
> I need a coach.
>
> > This ain't rocket science, or bomb-building. It's ok to make a
> > mistake or twenty along the way - you won't kill yourself.
>
> Anyone ever die from bench pressing? It seems like it could happen.

Yep, some people have said several people each year, but I don't know
their source. Generally someone working alone, without a rack, bar
falls on neck, etc.
ps

gps
July 17th 03, 05:37 PM
Theresa wrote:

> Chris Lee wrote:
> > "Theresa" > wrote in
> > :
> >
> >> So I went to Deepsquatter (thanks again, Robert) and looked around.
> >>
> >> More than half of the Westside stuff scares me, no way. Olympic
> >> weightlifting is way too technical, I'd need a coach. Strongman?!
> >> Ha. Wade Hanna... well, he's funny, anyway. Maybe I'll understand
> >> his stuff in a few years.
> >>
> >> Korte, though, hey....
> >>
> >> I'll probably skip the deadlifts, though.
> >>
> >> 58% of my estimated maxes, though... pitiful: 135, 80, 135 or so.
>
> > What's so scary about Westside?
>
> Max effort days. Lyle said ego and heavy weights make for an unsafe
> combination. Every time my arms shake on a bench I think about what a
> hundred pounds of descending iron would do to my pretty smile.
> >
> > Oly lifting is fun. You need a coach if you wanna compete. Not as
> > necessary to just start doing it.
>
> Well, there's the ego thing. I can keep it in check, sure; but not forever.
> I need a coach.
>
> > This ain't rocket science, or bomb-building. It's ok to make a
> > mistake or twenty along the way - you won't kill yourself.
>
> Anyone ever die from bench pressing? It seems like it could happen.

Yep, some people have said several people each year, but I don't know
their source. Generally someone working alone, without a rack, bar
falls on neck, etc.
ps

Seth Breidbart
July 17th 03, 07:49 PM
In article >,
Theresa > wrote:

>Max effort days. Lyle said ego and heavy weights make for an unsafe
>combination. Every time my arms shake on a bench I think about what a
>hundred pounds of descending iron would do to my pretty smile.

Shouldn't you be lifting further towards your feet?

In any case, that's what the safety rails are for. I've failed on the
bench a few times, so I lower the weight to the rails and roll it
down. The annoying part is unloading it so I can lift the bar back
up. (Yesterday I discovered that with a partial unload I could bench
press it back up.)

Seth
--
Who cares? Shut up and lift. -- Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Seth Breidbart
July 17th 03, 07:49 PM
In article >,
Theresa > wrote:

>Max effort days. Lyle said ego and heavy weights make for an unsafe
>combination. Every time my arms shake on a bench I think about what a
>hundred pounds of descending iron would do to my pretty smile.

Shouldn't you be lifting further towards your feet?

In any case, that's what the safety rails are for. I've failed on the
bench a few times, so I lower the weight to the rails and roll it
down. The annoying part is unloading it so I can lift the bar back
up. (Yesterday I discovered that with a partial unload I could bench
press it back up.)

Seth
--
Who cares? Shut up and lift. -- Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Theresa
July 17th 03, 08:43 PM
Seth Breidbart wrote:
> Theresa > wrote:
>
>> Max effort days. Lyle said ego and heavy weights make for an unsafe
>> combination. Every time my arms shake on a bench I think about what
>> a hundred pounds of descending iron would do to my pretty smile.
>
> Shouldn't you be lifting further towards your feet?

Well, the bar touches just below my breasts, but at the top it's above my
shoulders. Thinking about what a hundred pounds of descending iron would do
to my swanlike throat doesn't comfort me either.

> In any case, that's what the safety rails are for. I've failed on the
> bench a few times, so I lower the weight to the rails and roll it
> down. The annoying part is unloading it so I can lift the bar back
> up. (Yesterday I discovered that with a partial unload I could bench
> press it back up.)

What safety rail? What's a safety rail? There's nothing on the benches at
the gym to keep a bar from smushing one.

Theresa
July 17th 03, 08:43 PM
Seth Breidbart wrote:
> Theresa > wrote:
>
>> Max effort days. Lyle said ego and heavy weights make for an unsafe
>> combination. Every time my arms shake on a bench I think about what
>> a hundred pounds of descending iron would do to my pretty smile.
>
> Shouldn't you be lifting further towards your feet?

Well, the bar touches just below my breasts, but at the top it's above my
shoulders. Thinking about what a hundred pounds of descending iron would do
to my swanlike throat doesn't comfort me either.

> In any case, that's what the safety rails are for. I've failed on the
> bench a few times, so I lower the weight to the rails and roll it
> down. The annoying part is unloading it so I can lift the bar back
> up. (Yesterday I discovered that with a partial unload I could bench
> press it back up.)

What safety rail? What's a safety rail? There's nothing on the benches at
the gym to keep a bar from smushing one.

spodosaurus
July 17th 03, 08:56 PM
Theresa wrote:
> Seth Breidbart wrote:
>
>>Theresa > wrote:
>>

>>>Max effort days. Lyle said ego and heavy weights make for an unsafe
>>>combination. Every time my arms shake on a bench I think about what
>>>a hundred pounds of descending iron would do to my pretty smile.
>>
>>Shouldn't you be lifting further towards your feet?
>

> Well, the bar touches just below my breasts,

Sorry....can't....resist....must....request:

jpegs please, with or without barbell

> but at the top it's above my
> shoulders. Thinking about what a hundred pounds of descending iron would do
> to my swanlike throat doesn't comfort me either.
>
>>In any case, that's what the safety rails are for. I've failed on the
>>bench a few times, so I lower the weight to the rails and roll it
>>down. The annoying part is unloading it so I can lift the bar back
>>up. (Yesterday I discovered that with a partial unload I could bench
>>press it back up.)
>

> What safety rail? What's a safety rail? There's nothing on the benches at
> the gym to keep a bar from smushing one.

Power rack safeties

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

spodosaurus
July 17th 03, 08:56 PM
Theresa wrote:
> Seth Breidbart wrote:
>
>>Theresa > wrote:
>>

>>>Max effort days. Lyle said ego and heavy weights make for an unsafe
>>>combination. Every time my arms shake on a bench I think about what
>>>a hundred pounds of descending iron would do to my pretty smile.
>>
>>Shouldn't you be lifting further towards your feet?
>

> Well, the bar touches just below my breasts,

Sorry....can't....resist....must....request:

jpegs please, with or without barbell

> but at the top it's above my
> shoulders. Thinking about what a hundred pounds of descending iron would do
> to my swanlike throat doesn't comfort me either.
>
>>In any case, that's what the safety rails are for. I've failed on the
>>bench a few times, so I lower the weight to the rails and roll it
>>down. The annoying part is unloading it so I can lift the bar back
>>up. (Yesterday I discovered that with a partial unload I could bench
>>press it back up.)
>

> What safety rail? What's a safety rail? There's nothing on the benches at
> the gym to keep a bar from smushing one.

Power rack safeties

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person
on the recipient list. Call your local Red Cross and ask about
registering to be a bone marrow donor.

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Theresa
July 18th 03, 04:35 AM
spodosaurus wrote:
> Theresa wrote:
>> Seth Breidbart wrote:
>>
>>> Theresa > wrote:
>> What safety rail? What's a safety rail? There's nothing on the
>> benches at the gym to keep a bar from smushing one.
>
> Power rack safeties

You bench in the power rack?

Um, good idea. Thanks. I wish I'd thought of that.

<whine> Nobody in my gym benches in the power rack! </whine>

--
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.

Theresa
July 18th 03, 04:35 AM
spodosaurus wrote:
> Theresa wrote:
>> Seth Breidbart wrote:
>>
>>> Theresa > wrote:
>> What safety rail? What's a safety rail? There's nothing on the
>> benches at the gym to keep a bar from smushing one.
>
> Power rack safeties

You bench in the power rack?

Um, good idea. Thanks. I wish I'd thought of that.

<whine> Nobody in my gym benches in the power rack! </whine>

--
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study hard. Be evil.

Theresa
July 18th 03, 04:36 AM
Angela wrote:

> I've been asking myself if you're for real for about 2 weeks.
> Now I know.

Oh, good.

Am I?

Theresa
July 18th 03, 04:36 AM
Angela wrote:

> I've been asking myself if you're for real for about 2 weeks.
> Now I know.

Oh, good.

Am I?

gps
July 18th 03, 04:55 AM
Theresa wrote:

> spodosaurus wrote:
> > Theresa wrote:

> >> What safety rail? What's a safety rail? There's nothing on the
> >> benches at the gym to keep a bar from smushing one.
> >
> > Power rack safeties
>
> You bench in the power rack?
>
> Um, good idea. Thanks. I wish I'd thought of that.
>
> <whine> Nobody in my gym benches in the power rack! </whine>

Well, it's generally not too bad to bench in a crowded gym, especially
if you use a spotter. If you're benching at home, without a spotter, I
highly recommend benching in a rack.
ps

gps
July 18th 03, 04:55 AM
Theresa wrote:

> spodosaurus wrote:
> > Theresa wrote:

> >> What safety rail? What's a safety rail? There's nothing on the
> >> benches at the gym to keep a bar from smushing one.
> >
> > Power rack safeties
>
> You bench in the power rack?
>
> Um, good idea. Thanks. I wish I'd thought of that.
>
> <whine> Nobody in my gym benches in the power rack! </whine>

Well, it's generally not too bad to bench in a crowded gym, especially
if you use a spotter. If you're benching at home, without a spotter, I
highly recommend benching in a rack.
ps

gps
July 18th 03, 07:59 PM
Bob Garrison wrote:

> "gps" > wrote in message
> > Theresa wrote:

> > > You bench in the power rack?
> > >
> > > Um, good idea. Thanks. I wish I'd thought of that.
> > >
> > > <whine> Nobody in my gym benches in the power rack! </whine>
> >
> > Well, it's generally not too bad to bench in a crowded gym, especially
> > if you use a spotter. If you're benching at home, without a spotter, I
> > highly recommend benching in a rack.
> > ps
>
> Benching in a rack using the safety rails means you can't lower the bar to
> your chest, correct?

No, you set them just a touch low, the same as you would if you were
squatting. You don't set the bars when you're squatting at a height
that interferes with your depth, but just below so you can bail out if
you need to. When benching you would just have to sort of deflate, lose
your arch, and place the bar down (assuming it wasn't a catastrophic
loss such as one caused by injury, but a gradual one caused by momentary
failure). It's not a wonderful way to bench, imo, but it's better than
sustaining a nasty injury or death.
ps

gps
July 18th 03, 07:59 PM
Bob Garrison wrote:

> "gps" > wrote in message
> > Theresa wrote:

> > > You bench in the power rack?
> > >
> > > Um, good idea. Thanks. I wish I'd thought of that.
> > >
> > > <whine> Nobody in my gym benches in the power rack! </whine>
> >
> > Well, it's generally not too bad to bench in a crowded gym, especially
> > if you use a spotter. If you're benching at home, without a spotter, I
> > highly recommend benching in a rack.
> > ps
>
> Benching in a rack using the safety rails means you can't lower the bar to
> your chest, correct?

No, you set them just a touch low, the same as you would if you were
squatting. You don't set the bars when you're squatting at a height
that interferes with your depth, but just below so you can bail out if
you need to. When benching you would just have to sort of deflate, lose
your arch, and place the bar down (assuming it wasn't a catastrophic
loss such as one caused by injury, but a gradual one caused by momentary
failure). It's not a wonderful way to bench, imo, but it's better than
sustaining a nasty injury or death.
ps

Randy Shrader
July 18th 03, 09:15 PM
"Bob Garrison" > wrote in message

> "gps" > wrote in message
> > Theresa wrote:

> > > You bench in the power rack?
> > >
> > > Um, good idea. Thanks. I wish I'd thought of that.
> > >
> > > <whine> Nobody in my gym benches in the power rack! </whine>
> >
> > Well, it's generally not too bad to bench in a crowded gym, especially
> > if you use a spotter. If you're benching at home, without a spotter, I
> > highly recommend benching in a rack.
> > ps
>
> Benching in a rack using the safety rails means you can't lower the bar to
> your chest, correct?

Depends on the rack. I can set the safeties on mine about half an inch
below my chest, so I can just exhale strongly and squirm out if need be. If
I'd drilled the holes an inch higher or lower, or if my bench was a
different height, it wouldn't work so well.

Randy

Randy Shrader
July 18th 03, 09:15 PM
"Bob Garrison" > wrote in message

> "gps" > wrote in message
> > Theresa wrote:

> > > You bench in the power rack?
> > >
> > > Um, good idea. Thanks. I wish I'd thought of that.
> > >
> > > <whine> Nobody in my gym benches in the power rack! </whine>
> >
> > Well, it's generally not too bad to bench in a crowded gym, especially
> > if you use a spotter. If you're benching at home, without a spotter, I
> > highly recommend benching in a rack.
> > ps
>
> Benching in a rack using the safety rails means you can't lower the bar to
> your chest, correct?

Depends on the rack. I can set the safeties on mine about half an inch
below my chest, so I can just exhale strongly and squirm out if need be. If
I'd drilled the holes an inch higher or lower, or if my bench was a
different height, it wouldn't work so well.

Randy

gps
July 19th 03, 12:14 AM
Randy Shrader wrote:

> "Bob Garrison" > wrote in message

> > > Well, it's generally not too bad to bench in a crowded gym, especially
> > > if you use a spotter. If you're benching at home, without a spotter, I
> > > highly recommend benching in a rack.
> > > ps
> >
> > Benching in a rack using the safety rails means you can't lower the bar to
> > your chest, correct?
> >

> Depends on the rack. I can set the safeties on mine about half an inch
> below my chest, so I can just exhale strongly and squirm out if need be. If
> I'd drilled the holes an inch higher or lower, or if my bench was a
> different height, it wouldn't work so well.
>
> Randy

Yeah, it's a pain if everything isn't synched up just right. We ended
up shimming our bench with a piece of plywood.
ps

gps
July 19th 03, 12:14 AM
Randy Shrader wrote:

> "Bob Garrison" > wrote in message

> > > Well, it's generally not too bad to bench in a crowded gym, especially
> > > if you use a spotter. If you're benching at home, without a spotter, I
> > > highly recommend benching in a rack.
> > > ps
> >
> > Benching in a rack using the safety rails means you can't lower the bar to
> > your chest, correct?
> >

> Depends on the rack. I can set the safeties on mine about half an inch
> below my chest, so I can just exhale strongly and squirm out if need be. If
> I'd drilled the holes an inch higher or lower, or if my bench was a
> different height, it wouldn't work so well.
>
> Randy

Yeah, it's a pain if everything isn't synched up just right. We ended
up shimming our bench with a piece of plywood.
ps

Seth Breidbart
July 21st 03, 08:11 AM
In article >,
Will > wrote:
>In article >,
> "Bob Garrison" > wrote:

>> Benching in a rack using the safety rails means you can't lower the bar to
>> your chest, correct?
>
>No. Set the rails so that they are just below the position of the bar
>resting on your chest -- when your chest is full of air. If you use an
>arch, set the rails so it is just below the bottom position of the bar
>when you are full of air, and arched.
>
>If you are stuck at the bottom of the bench press, lose your arch and
>exhale every last bit of air. You should be able to squeeze out from
>underneath the bar when deflated.

Actually, I find it easier to roll the bar down towards my feet, then
it's much easier to get out from under.

Seth