PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift lockout sticking point

A.M
August 30th 04, 02:11 PM
Hello

I've recently run into some problems in the deadlift.
I pull conventional, and the sticking point for me is just above the
knees when I'm about to do the lockout. I've gotten past this before
just mainly by trying to pull the weight as fast as I can to that
point, and hoping that the velocity will carry me through that
sticking point. Well, it hasn't been working for me very well
recently, and now I'm left to wonder, are there any exercices I can do
to strengthen this weak point?

Thanks

John Hanson
August 30th 04, 02:24 PM
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:11:55 +0300, A.M > wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>Hello
>
>I've recently run into some problems in the deadlift.
>I pull conventional, and the sticking point for me is just above the
>knees when I'm about to do the lockout. I've gotten past this before
>just mainly by trying to pull the weight as fast as I can to that
>point, and hoping that the velocity will carry me through that
>sticking point. Well, it hasn't been working for me very well
>recently, and now I'm left to wonder, are there any exercices I can do
>to strengthen this weak point?

Lockouts and my favorite, reverse band deadlifts.

George UK
August 30th 04, 03:41 PM
"A.M" > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I've recently run into some problems in the deadlift.
> I pull conventional, and the sticking point for me is just above the
> knees when I'm about to do the lockout. I've gotten past this before
> just mainly by trying to pull the weight as fast as I can to that
> point, and hoping that the velocity will carry me through that
> sticking point. Well, it hasn't been working for me very well
> recently, and now I'm left to wonder, are there any exercices I can do
> to strengthen this weak point?
>
> Thanks

You could do Deadlift lockouts.

So you only have to do the tip 5" or so of the rep. Lift it up from a set
height on the power rack. You should be able to go VERY heavy on this.

--
George UK
The good old days

Jeff Finlayson
August 30th 04, 04:00 PM
A.M wrote:

> Hello
> I've recently run into some problems in the deadlift.
> I pull conventional, and the sticking point for me is just above the
> knees when I'm about to do the lockout. I've gotten past this before
> just mainly by trying to pull the weight as fast as I can to that
> point, and hoping that the velocity will carry me through that
> sticking point. Well, it hasn't been working for me very well
> recently, and now I'm left to wonder, are there any exercices I can
> do to strengthen this weak point?
> Thanks

In addition to strengthening the lockout, fix any technique flaws.
The hips rising up before shoulders can turn it into a straight leg
type deadlift and cause lockout problems later in the lift. And
be sure to drive the hips forward to lockout so you end up vertical
at top, not leaning back.