PDA

View Full Version : Study results: strength training improves Golf

Paul Gillingwater
August 31st 04, 07:33 AM
This study has some interesting results:

http://healthy.net/scr/column.asp?PageType=Column&id=231

Basically, it showed that after only 8 weeks of a strength training
program, golf swing power increased by 6%. No surprises there, but yet
another good reason to work out if you're a golfer.

Lee Michaels
August 31st 04, 07:35 AM
"Paul Gillingwater" > wrote in message
> This study has some interesting results:
>
> http://healthy.net/scr/column.asp?PageType=Column&id=231
>
> Basically, it showed that after only 8 weeks of a strength training
> program, golf swing power increased by 6%. No surprises there, but yet
> another good reason to work out if you're a golfer.

Maybe the fact that most golfers are weak and wimpy might have something to
do with the great rsponse this group got.

Proton Soup
August 31st 04, 04:32 PM
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 02:33:05 -0400, Paul Gillingwater
> wrote:

>This study has some interesting results:
>
>http://healthy.net/scr/column.asp?PageType=Column&id=231
>
>Basically, it showed that after only 8 weeks of a strength training
>program, golf swing power increased by 6%. No surprises there, but yet
>another good reason to work out if you're a golfer.

I seen a golfer work out once. He was hitting every station with a
weight about half of what he was capable of working at. Turns out
that he was afraid lifting heavy would mess up his golf swing. I
couldn't understand why he'd even bother.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

\El Paisano\
August 31st 04, 06:51 PM
"Proton Soup" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 02:33:05 -0400, Paul Gillingwater
> > wrote:
>
> >This study has some interesting results:
> >
> >http://healthy.net/scr/column.asp?PageType=Column&id=231
> >
> >Basically, it showed that after only 8 weeks of a strength training
> >program, golf swing power increased by 6%. No surprises there, but yet
> >another good reason to work out if you're a golfer.
>
> I seen a golfer work out once. He was hitting every station with a
> weight about half of what he was capable of working at. Turns out
> that he was afraid lifting heavy would mess up his golf swing. I
> couldn't understand why he'd even bother.

He learned this routine from The Golf Channel. And yes, I am serious.
--
Work quietly and humbly to realize your delusions of grandeur. -- Mark
Helprin

John Hanson
September 1st 04, 02:34 AM
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:51:03 -0600, "\"El Paisano\""
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"Proton Soup" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 02:33:05 -0400, Paul Gillingwater
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >This study has some interesting results:
>> >
>> >http://healthy.net/scr/column.asp?PageType=Column&id=231
>> >
>> >Basically, it showed that after only 8 weeks of a strength training
>> >program, golf swing power increased by 6%. No surprises there, but yet
>> >another good reason to work out if you're a golfer.
>>
>> I seen a golfer work out once. He was hitting every station with a
>> weight about half of what he was capable of working at. Turns out
>> that he was afraid lifting heavy would mess up his golf swing. I
>> couldn't understand why he'd even bother.
>>

>He learned this routine from The Golf Channel. And yes, I am serious.

I learned that Tiger benches over 300 from the Golf Channel. They
talked extensively about his weight training.

Lyle McDonald
September 1st 04, 03:42 AM
Proton Soup wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:34:13 -0500, John Hanson
> > wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:51:03 -0600, "\"El Paisano\""
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>He learned this routine from The Golf Channel. And yes, I am serious.
>>
>>I learned that Tiger benches over 300 from the Golf Channel. They
>>talked extensively about his weight training.
>

> Shirt, or raw?

Neither: absolute bull****.

No way does he bench anything close to 300 unless it's a bench press
machine that has 300 marked on it.

Lyle

Proton Soup
September 1st 04, 04:31 AM
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:34:13 -0500, John Hanson
> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:51:03 -0600, "\"El Paisano\""
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>"Proton Soup" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 02:33:05 -0400, Paul Gillingwater

>>> I seen a golfer work out once. He was hitting every station with a
>>> weight about half of what he was capable of working at. Turns out
>>> that he was afraid lifting heavy would mess up his golf swing. I
>>> couldn't understand why he'd even bother.
>>>

>>He learned this routine from The Golf Channel. And yes, I am serious.
>
>I learned that Tiger benches over 300 from the Golf Channel. They
>talked extensively about his weight training.

Shirt, or raw?

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Will
September 1st 04, 04:50 AM
In article >,
Lyle McDonald > wrote:

> Proton Soup wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:34:13 -0500, John Hanson
> > > wrote:

> >>I learned that Tiger benches over 300 from the Golf Channel. They
> >>talked extensively about his weight training.
> >

> > Shirt, or raw?
> >

> Neither: absolute bull****.
>
> No way does he bench anything close to 300 unless it's a bench press
> machine that has 300 marked on it.

Do you think he could "bench" a 300 lb barbell with a good bounce and
some pelvic thrust? I could believe that.

John Hanson
September 1st 04, 04:59 AM
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:42:56 -0500, Lyle McDonald
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>Proton Soup wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:34:13 -0500, John Hanson
>> > wrote:

>>>I learned that Tiger benches over 300 from the Golf Channel. They
>>>talked extensively about his weight training.
>>

>> Shirt, or raw?
>>

>Neither: absolute bull****.
>
>No way does he bench anything close to 300 unless it's a bench press
>machine that has 300 marked on it.

Why do you say that? There's a guy at my gym who is about the same
build as Tiger but a little skinnier who benches well over 300. He's
not a powerlifter either and has never used a shirt.

Jim Ranieri
September 1st 04, 02:10 PM
"Will" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Lyle McDonald > wrote:
>
> > Proton Soup wrote:
> >
> > > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:34:13 -0500, John Hanson

> > > Shirt, or raw?
> > >

> > Neither: absolute bull****.
> >
> > No way does he bench anything close to 300 unless it's a bench press
> > machine that has 300 marked on it.
>
> Do you think he could "bench" a 300 lb barbell with a good bounce and
> some pelvic thrust? I could believe that.

That sounds like more propaganda in the sedentary, middle-aged, white guy's
quest to pass off golf as an actual sport.

Keith Hobman
September 1st 04, 03:00 PM
In article >, Will
> wrote:

> In article >,
> Lyle McDonald > wrote:
>
> > Proton Soup wrote:
> >
> > > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:34:13 -0500, John Hanson

> > > Shirt, or raw?
> > >

> > Neither: absolute bull****.
> >
> > No way does he bench anything close to 300 unless it's a bench press
> > machine that has 300 marked on it.
>
> Do you think he could "bench" a 300 lb barbell with a good bounce and
> some pelvic thrust? I could believe that.

With a spotter taking about 50 lbs off - mebbe.

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling

\El Paisano\
September 1st 04, 03:12 PM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message

> >> I seen a golfer work out once. He was hitting every station with a
> >> weight about half of what he was capable of working at. Turns out
> >> that he was afraid lifting heavy would mess up his golf swing. I
> >> couldn't understand why he'd even bother.
> >>

> >He learned this routine from The Golf Channel. And yes, I am serious.
>
> I learned that Tiger benches over 300 from the Golf Channel. They
> talked extensively about his weight training.

I have also heard that at least a few of the golfers cannot use the
travelling gym because there is not enough weight (David Duval was the one
mentioned IIRC). But the Golf Channel has golf training shows that ignore
what the pros are doing. The one I saw, the trainer determined the trainees
8 rep max and then perscribed sets of 8-10 at 50-60% of that max.

In high school we did a little bit of weightlifting between the two golf
seasons. My coach would not allow any back or bicep work because he believed
it would "restrict the swing."

--
Work quietly and humbly to realize your delusions of grandeur. -- Mark
Helprin

Lyle McDonald
September 1st 04, 03:33 PM
Will wrote:

> In article >,
> Lyle McDonald > wrote:
>

>>Proton Soup wrote:

>>>Shirt, or raw?
>>>

>>Neither: absolute bull****.
>>
>>No way does he bench anything close to 300 unless it's a bench press
>>machine that has 300 marked on it.
>

> Do you think he could "bench" a 300 lb barbell with a good bounce and
> some pelvic thrust? I could believe that.

Maybe. But so what.

Lyle

Lyle McDonald
September 1st 04, 03:33 PM
John Hanson wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:42:56 -0500, Lyle McDonald
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

>>Proton Soup wrote:

>>>Shirt, or raw?
>>>

>>Neither: absolute bull****.
>>
>>No way does he bench anything close to 300 unless it's a bench press
>>machine that has 300 marked on it.
>>

> Why do you say that? There's a guy at my gym who is about the same
> build as Tiger but a little skinnier who benches well over 300. He's
> not a powerlifter either and has never used a shirt.

a. Do you consider thats ingular example even remotely indicative of
what someone of that size is capable of or is this singular example only
that?

b. The guy you're describing assuredly focuses only on weight training,
Tiger is a golfing professional.

Lyle

Helgi Briem
September 1st 04, 03:38 PM
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:00:35 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote:

>> > Neither: absolute bull****.
>> >
>> > No way does he bench anything close to 300 unless it's a bench press
>> > machine that has 300 marked on it.
>>
>> Do you think he could "bench" a 300 lb barbell with a good bounce and
>> some pelvic thrust? I could believe that.
>
>With a spotter taking about 50 lbs off - mebbe.

He says 240 lbs in this article:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_4_51/ai_60121202

This one quotes the same figure:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_11_51/ai_67340789
but says he uses machines. 240 in a machine is not the same
as a free weight 240.

Lots of articles say he benches 1 1/2 bodyweight, but quote his
weight from 155 lbs to 170. Whatever, it's certainly closer
to 240 than 300.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Jeff Finlayson
September 1st 04, 03:47 PM
"El Paisano" wrote:

>>>He learned this routine from The Golf Channel. And yes, I am serious.
>>
>>I learned that Tiger benches over 300 from the Golf Channel. They
>>talked extensively about his weight training.
>
> I have also heard that at least a few of the golfers cannot use the
> travelling gym because there is not enough weight (David Duval was the one
> mentioned IIRC). But the Golf Channel has golf training shows that ignore
> what the pros are doing. The one I saw, the trainer determined the trainees
> 8 rep max and then perscribed sets of 8-10 at 50-60% of that max.

Just wasting time..

> In high school we did a little bit of weightlifting between the two golf
> seasons. My coach would not allow any back or bicep work because he believed
> it would "restrict the swing."

This coach must not have believed back and bicep stretches as well.

Keith Hobman
September 1st 04, 03:49 PM
In article >, Helgi Briem
> wrote:

> >> Do you think he could "bench" a 300 lb barbell with a good bounce and
> >> some pelvic thrust? I could believe that.
> >
> >With a spotter taking about 50 lbs off - mebbe.
>
> He says 240 lbs in this article:
> http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_4_51/ai_60121202
>
> This one quotes the same figure:
> http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_11_51/ai_67340789
> but says he uses machines. 240 in a machine is not the same
> as a free weight 240.
>
> Lots of articles say he benches 1 1/2 bodyweight, but quote his
> weight from 155 lbs to 170. Whatever, it's certainly closer
> to 240 than 300.

I'm sure he could lift 240 in a machine. He may be able to work up to 300
in the bench with a lot of training, but why? He is a golfer, not a
powerlifter. The bench really isn't very specific to his sport.

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Helgi Briem
September 1st 04, 04:23 PM
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:49:58 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote:

>> Lots of articles say he benches 1 1/2 bodyweight, but quote his
>> weight from 155 lbs to 170. Whatever, it's certainly closer
>> to 240 than 300.
>
>I'm sure he could lift 240 in a machine. He may be able to work up to 300
>in the bench with a lot of training, but why? He is a golfer, not a
>powerlifter. The bench really isn't very specific to his sport.

Oh, I agree. Bragging rights is about all it would be good for in his
case.

What exercises are specific to golf, in your opinion? I'm not a
golfer and don't have much feel for what muscles it uses. Other
than the bicep curl, extensively practiced at the 19th hole.

I would imagine that general leg and core work would be best.
A generic squat, deadlift, dip, chinup, abs, hypers routine.

Anything more specialised?

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Keith Hobman
September 1st 04, 04:39 PM
In article >, Helgi Briem
> wrote:

> >> Lots of articles say he benches 1 1/2 bodyweight, but quote his
> >> weight from 155 lbs to 170. Whatever, it's certainly closer
> >> to 240 than 300.
> >
> >I'm sure he could lift 240 in a machine. He may be able to work up to 300
> >in the bench with a lot of training, but why? He is a golfer, not a
> >powerlifter. The bench really isn't very specific to his sport.
>
> Oh, I agree. Bragging rights is about all it would be good for in his
> case.
>
> What exercises are specific to golf, in your opinion? I'm not a
> golfer and don't have much feel for what muscles it uses. Other
> than the bicep curl, extensively practiced at the 19th hole.
>
> I would imagine that general leg and core work would be best.
> A generic squat, deadlift, dip, chinup, abs, hypers routine.
>
> Anything more specialised?

Off the top of my head.

Squat for lower body strength - quad dominant
Hi pulls (using jump technique) for power - posterior chain dominant
Chins - upper body strength - pull - do overspeed variations for power
Dip or press - as above but push.
Eye Jerk - for power and speed of lower body
Wrestlers twist - hips for power
Russian twist - abs for strength/endurance

During various weeks you may want to include jumps and plyos for ROFD.
Lots of stretching and elastic work with weights. Etc, blah, blah, blah.
You may want to add in things like Turkish get-ups, Royal Court, OH
squats, etc. to address specific weak areas on an individual basis and
keep things interesting.

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Will
September 1st 04, 04:42 PM
In article >,
Helgi Briem > wrote:

> >> Lots of articles say he benches 1 1/2 bodyweight, but quote his
> >> weight from 155 lbs to 170. Whatever, it's certainly closer
> >> to 240 than 300.
> >
> >I'm sure he could lift 240 in a machine. He may be able to work up to 300
> >in the bench with a lot of training, but why? He is a golfer, not a
> >powerlifter. The bench really isn't very specific to his sport.
>
> Oh, I agree. Bragging rights is about all it would be good for in his
> case.
>
> What exercises are specific to golf, in your opinion? I'm not a
> golfer and don't have much feel for what muscles it uses. Other
> than the bicep curl, extensively practiced at the 19th hole.

Really more of a hammer curl, lest you spill.

Thean
September 1st 04, 04:52 PM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article >, Helgi Briem
> > wrote:

They

> > >I'm sure he could lift 240 in a machine. He may be able to work up to
300
> > >in the bench with a lot of training, but why? He is a golfer, not a
> > >powerlifter. The bench really isn't very specific to his sport.
> >
> > Oh, I agree. Bragging rights is about all it would be good for in his
> > case.
> >
> > What exercises are specific to golf, in your opinion? I'm not a
> > golfer and don't have much feel for what muscles it uses. Other
> > than the bicep curl, extensively practiced at the 19th hole.
> >
> > I would imagine that general leg and core work would be best.
> > A generic squat, deadlift, dip, chinup, abs, hypers routine.
> >
> > Anything more specialised?
>
> Off the top of my head.
>
> Squat for lower body strength - quad dominant
> Hi pulls (using jump technique) for power - posterior chain dominant
> Chins - upper body strength - pull - do overspeed variations for power
> Dip or press - as above but push.
> Eye Jerk - for power and speed of lower body
> Wrestlers twist - hips for power
> Russian twist - abs for strength/endurance
>
> During various weeks you may want to include jumps and plyos for ROFD.
> Lots of stretching and elastic work with weights. Etc, blah, blah, blah.
> You may want to add in things like Turkish get-ups, Royal Court, OH
> squats, etc. to address specific weak areas on an individual basis and
> keep things interesting.

i said this when i first started playing golf.

it's very similar to a power clean

whit

> --
> Dawn's cold kiss calls me
> Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
> Joy: Morning workouts.
> Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Helgi Briem
September 1st 04, 04:53 PM
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:39:13 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote:

>Off the top of my head.
>
>Squat for lower body strength - quad dominant
>Hi pulls (using jump technique) for power - posterior chain dominant
>Chins - upper body strength - pull - do overspeed variations for power
>Dip or press - as above but push.
>Eye Jerk - for power and speed of lower body

What's an Eye Jerk? Googling for it doesn't help.

>Wrestlers twist - hips for power
>Russian twist - abs for strength/endurance
>
>During various weeks you may want to include jumps and plyos for ROFD.
>Lots of stretching and elastic work with weights. Etc, blah, blah, blah.
>You may want to add in things like Turkish get-ups, Royal Court, OH
>squats, etc. to address specific weak areas on an individual basis and
>keep things interesting.

Not that I'm likely to, but if I were strength coach to a
golfer, I'd be likely to limit his weight training to 2 or 3
shortish (~ 1 hour) sessions a week and leave him to
practice his golf most of the time. Specificity is the most
important training principle, IMO.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Keith Hobman
September 1st 04, 05:00 PM
In article >, Helgi Briem
> wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:39:13 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
> wrote:
>
> >Off the top of my head.
> >
> >Squat for lower body strength - quad dominant
> >Hi pulls (using jump technique) for power - posterior chain dominant
> >Chins - upper body strength - pull - do overspeed variations for power
> >Dip or press - as above but push.
> >Eye Jerk - for power and speed of lower body
>
> What's an Eye Jerk? Googling for it doesn't help.
>
> >Wrestlers twist - hips for power
> >Russian twist - abs for strength/endurance
> >
> >During various weeks you may want to include jumps and plyos for ROFD.
> >Lots of stretching and elastic work with weights. Etc, blah, blah, blah.
> >You may want to add in things like Turkish get-ups, Royal Court, OH
> >squats, etc. to address specific weak areas on an individual basis and
> >keep things interesting.
>
> Not that I'm likely to, but if I were strength coach to a
> golfer, I'd be likely to limit his weight training to 2 or 3
> shortish (~ 1 hour) sessions a week and leave him to
> practice his golf most of the time. Specificity is the most
> important training principle, IMO.

Me too. 2-4 30-45 minute sessions is lots. I wouldn't want to get to the
stage where skill performance deteriorates due to the lifting.

Eye jerk. Bar is held at eye level and the lifter trys to get under it in
the split position as quickly as they can. It is basically doing the same
thing for the jerk that the dead hang clean or dead hang snatch does for
their respective lifts.

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Jeff Finlayson
September 1st 04, 06:02 PM
John Hanson wrote:
> Lyle McDonald wrote:
>>Proton Soup wrote:

>>>Shirt, or raw?
>>
>>Neither: absolute bull****.
>>
>>No way does he bench anything close to 300 unless it's a bench press
>>machine that has 300 marked on it.
>
> Why do you say that? There's a guy at my gym who is about the same
> build as Tiger but a little skinnier who benches well over 300. He's
> not a powerlifter either and has never used a shirt.

It's possible, but not likely. I'd bet against it..

John Hanson
September 2nd 04, 03:35 AM
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:33:57 -0500, Lyle McDonald
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:42:56 -0500, Lyle McDonald
>> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>Neither: absolute bull****.
>>>
>>>No way does he bench anything close to 300 unless it's a bench press
>>>machine that has 300 marked on it.
>>>

>> Why do you say that? There's a guy at my gym who is about the same
>> build as Tiger but a little skinnier who benches well over 300. He's
>> not a powerlifter either and has never used a shirt.
>
>a. Do you consider thats ingular example even remotely indicative of
>what someone of that size is capable of or is this singular example only
>that?

I know others even smaller that bench that much. Hell, just about
every guy in my gym does.

>b. The guy you're describing assuredly focuses only on weight training,
>Tiger is a golfing professional.

Tiger also gained 20 pounds that year and lost a lot of his hair. He
was lifting 4 days a week along with playing golf on a daily basis.
Perhaps it was the protein powder.

John Hanson
September 2nd 04, 03:36 AM
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:02:34 GMT, Jeff Finlayson
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson wrote:
>> Lyle McDonald wrote:

>>>Neither: absolute bull****.
>>>
>>>No way does he bench anything close to 300 unless it's a bench press
>>>machine that has 300 marked on it.
>>
>> Why do you say that? There's a guy at my gym who is about the same
>> build as Tiger but a little skinnier who benches well over 300. He's
>> not a powerlifter either and has never used a shirt.
>
>It's possible, but not likely. I'd bet against it..

I'll bet for it.

Dally
September 2nd 04, 03:37 AM
John Hanson wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:33:57 -0500, Lyle McDonald
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

>>John Hanson wrote:

>>>Why do you say that? There's a guy at my gym who is about the same
>>>build as Tiger but a little skinnier who benches well over 300. He's
>>>not a powerlifter either and has never used a shirt.
>>
>>a. Do you consider thats ingular example even remotely indicative of
>>what someone of that size is capable of or is this singular example only
>>that?
>>

> I know others even smaller that bench that much. Hell, just about
> every guy in my gym does.
>

>>b. The guy you're describing assuredly focuses only on weight training,
>>Tiger is a golfing professional.
>>

> Tiger also gained 20 pounds that year and lost a lot of his hair. He
> was lifting 4 days a week along with playing golf on a daily basis.
> Perhaps it was the protein powder.

I've never heard of testing for Golf. You think that comes next?

Dally

Wayne S. Hill
September 2nd 04, 03:44 AM
John Hanson wrote:

> Lyle McDonald wrote:
>
>>b. The guy you're describing assuredly focuses only on
>>weight training, Tiger is a golfing professional.
>>
> Tiger also gained 20 pounds that year and lost a lot of his
> hair. He was lifting 4 days a week along with playing golf
> on a daily basis. Perhaps it was the protein powder.

Definitely the protein powder.

--
-Wayne

Wayne S. Hill
September 2nd 04, 03:46 AM
Dally wrote:

> John Hanson wrote:
>
>> Tiger also gained 20 pounds that year and lost a lot of his
>> hair. He was lifting 4 days a week along with playing golf
>> on a daily basis. Perhaps it was the protein powder.
>
> I've never heard of testing for Golf. You think that comes
> next?

I'd pass that one: I haven't played golf in 20 years.

--
-Wayne
(the test doesn't go back that far, does it?)

John Hanson
September 2nd 04, 03:47 AM
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:37:46 -0400, Dally > wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:33:57 -0500, Lyle McDonald
>> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>a. Do you consider thats ingular example even remotely indicative of
>>>what someone of that size is capable of or is this singular example only
>>>that?
>>>

>> I know others even smaller that bench that much. Hell, just about
>> every guy in my gym does.
>>

>>>b. The guy you're describing assuredly focuses only on weight training,
>>>Tiger is a golfing professional.
>>>

>> Tiger also gained 20 pounds that year and lost a lot of his hair. He
>> was lifting 4 days a week along with playing golf on a daily basis.
>> Perhaps it was the protein powder.
>
>I've never heard of testing for Golf. You think that comes next?

I doubt it. You'll never see a juicing golfer try to get so huge that
people start to question it like they did in baseball. Plus, everyone
is fixated on the equipment in golf now.

I can see a golfer who juices getting 30 yards out of their driver and
another 20 out of their 3 wood. They'd just blame it on the
equipment. Funny thing, last year Tiger was bitching about the
equipment getting out of hand. He used the comparison to driving
distance to the distance guys get out of their 3 woods. Most golfers
are getting way more out of their drivers while he hits both
comparatively the same factoring loft and length of shaft.

John Hanson
September 2nd 04, 03:49 AM
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:38:42 +0000, Helgi Briem
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>> Do you think he could "bench" a 300 lb barbell with a good bounce and
>>> some pelvic thrust? I could believe that.
>>
>>With a spotter taking about 50 lbs off - mebbe.
>
>He says 240 lbs in this article:
>http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_4_51/ai_60121202
>
>This one quotes the same figure:
>http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_11_51/ai_67340789
>but says he uses machines. 240 in a machine is not the same
>as a free weight 240.
>
>Lots of articles say he benches 1 1/2 bodyweight, but quote his
>weight from 155 lbs to 170. Whatever, it's certainly closer
>to 240 than 300.

Those are old articles but it could be that they were stretching the
truth on TV. But, they definitely said he benches over 300 pounds and
even mentioned his strength trainer.

Lee Michaels
September 2nd 04, 04:36 AM
"Dally" wrote
> John Hanson wrote:
> >
> > Tiger also gained 20 pounds that year and lost a lot of his hair. He
> > was lifting 4 days a week along with playing golf on a daily basis.
> > Perhaps it was the protein powder.
>
> I've never heard of testing for Golf. You think that comes next?

Testing for protein powder??

How do you do that?

Look for powder specks on your clothes?

Lee Michaels
September 2nd 04, 04:39 AM
"Wayne S. Hill" wrote

> I'd pass that one: I haven't played golf in 20 years.

Uhhh......, Wayne, when you played golf, did you use the small dimpled,
round, white balls?? Or did you use stones?

And the clubs, were they the heavy wooden ones used on both man and beast?
Or the more modern ones that are much smaller and specialized to the game of
golf itself?

Wayne S. Hill
September 2nd 04, 01:58 PM
Lee Michaels wrote:

> "Wayne S. Hill" wrote
>>
>> I'd pass that one: I haven't played golf in 20 years.
>
> Uhhh......, Wayne, when you played golf, did you use the
> small dimpled, round, white balls?? Or did you use stones?
>
> And the clubs, were they the heavy wooden ones used on both
> man and beast? Or the more modern ones that are much smaller
> and specialized to the game of golf itself?

I don't remember. It was a long time ago. I do remember that I
didn't inhale any golf balls, though.

--
-Wayne