PDA

View Full Version : looking for a critique

Greg
September 4th 04, 02:09 AM
hey, i'm looking for some tips on what i'm doing with my lifting
routine. i've been doing this for about a month. i feel sore all over
after pretty much every workout, though the only physical gains i'm
sure i'm seeing is in my tri's.

day 1:
dumbell bench press 3x 8-10
french press 3x 8-10
dumbell flyes 3x 8-10
overhead tris 3x 8-10
squats 3x 8-10

day 2:
bicep curls 3x 8-10
shoulder press 3x 8-10
lateral raises 3x 8-10
preacher curls 3x 8-10
hammer curls 3x 8-10

day 3:
tons of abs stuff, crunches, etc

then i repeat back to day 1. i'm pretty limited in terms of equipment,
all i have is a set of dumbells from 5-100 lbs in increments of 5,
trying to save up for some more stuff but going to gym isnt really
feasable right now. i'm like 5'11, 150. i'm not fat but i'm trying to
lose some body fat so i can get some abs worth looking at, plus a
bigger chest, arms, etc. i would add jumping rope, but i dont want it
to interfere with my muscle growth. i eat like 6x a day mostly stuff
like egg whites, turkey, cottage cheese, etc. any advice would be much
appreciated. thanks!
-greg

Brian Link
September 4th 04, 05:34 AM
On 3 Sep 2004 18:09:41 -0700, (Greg) wrote:

>hey, i'm looking for some tips on what i'm doing with my lifting
>routine. i've been doing this for about a month. i feel sore all over
>after pretty much every workout, though the only physical gains i'm
>sure i'm seeing is in my tri's.
>
>day 1:
>dumbell bench press 3x 8-10
>french press 3x 8-10
>dumbell flyes 3x 8-10
>overhead tris 3x 8-10
>squats 3x 8-10
>
>day 2:
>bicep curls 3x 8-10
>shoulder press 3x 8-10
>lateral raises 3x 8-10
>preacher curls 3x 8-10
>hammer curls 3x 8-10
>
>day 3:
>tons of abs stuff, crunches, etc
>
>then i repeat back to day 1. i'm pretty limited in terms of equipment,
>all i have is a set of dumbells from 5-100 lbs in increments of 5,
>trying to save up for some more stuff but going to gym isnt really
>feasable right now. i'm like 5'11, 150. i'm not fat but i'm trying to
>lose some body fat so i can get some abs worth looking at, plus a
>bigger chest, arms, etc. i would add jumping rope, but i dont want it
>to interfere with my muscle growth. i eat like 6x a day mostly stuff
>like egg whites, turkey, cottage cheese, etc. any advice would be much
>appreciated. thanks!
>-greg

You've given some good info for the smart folks here to help you, but
you may want to add your age and lifting experience into your
mini-biography.

Only comments I have are

1. Soreness/lack thereof means pretty much nothing.
2. Cardio won't hurt muscle growth, but it's often recommended to do
it at a different time of day than your lifting.
3. To gain muscle be prepared to gain fat too.
4. Once you've gained a satisfactory amount of muscle, or gotten to an
unsatisfactory level of fat, start dieting and hit the weights just as
hard until your bodyfat is where you want it. Then start eating good
stuff.

I've gotten satisfactory results with these general principals, though
I don't apply them as conscientiously as some of the truly strong or
chiseled guys here.

BLink

Greg
September 4th 04, 09:17 PM
I've been lifting on and off for about a year but never really got
into a good routine or serious commitment, i'd like to start. I'm 19
years old.

Helgi Briem
September 6th 04, 11:40 AM
On 3 Sep 2004 18:09:41 -0700, (Greg) wrote:

>hey, i'm looking for some tips on what i'm doing with my lifting
>routine. i've been doing this for about a month. i feel sore all over
>after pretty much every workout, though the only physical gains i'm
>sure i'm seeing is in my tri's.

Soreness is not important.

>day 1:
>dumbell bench press 3x 8-10
>french press 3x 8-10
>dumbell flyes 3x 8-10
>overhead tris 3x 8-10
>squats 3x 8-10
>
>day 2:
>bicep curls 3x 8-10
>shoulder press 3x 8-10
>lateral raises 3x 8-10
>preacher curls 3x 8-10
>hammer curls 3x 8-10
>
>day 3:
>tons of abs stuff, crunches, etc

Do more squats, less curls and and some back work.
Add a deadlift for hamstrings and lower back.

I suggest doing the same whole-body routine every time,
2-3 days a week. You're a beginner, so you're not taxing your
CNS enough to need a split routine.

Squat
Stiff legged dumbbell deadlift
Bench press ( or other press)
Bent over dumbbell row
Curls if you like
Ab work if you like
Lateral raises and flys if you must

>then i repeat back to day 1. i'm pretty limited in terms of equipment,
>all i have is a set of dumbells from 5-100 lbs in increments of 5,
>trying to save up for some more stuff but going to gym isnt really
>feasable right now.

2 100 lb dumbbells should suffice for a while, but in a few months
they'll be too light for many things, especially squats and deadlifts.

> i'm like 5'11, 150. i'm not fat but i'm trying to
>lose some body fat so i can get some abs worth looking at, plus a
>bigger chest, arms, etc.

You may be able to lose fat and build muscle to begin with,
but only for a relatively short time (beginner gains). After
that, you can't do both.

> i would add jumping rope, but i dont want it
>to interfere with my muscle growth. i eat like 6x a day mostly stuff
>like egg whites, turkey, cottage cheese,

If you primarily want to add muscle, don't eat like an anorexic
secretary on a diet. To build muscles, you need protein, yes, but
primarily you need calories. Alternate bulking and cutting cycles
once you are past the stage of beginner gains.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Greg
September 7th 04, 12:32 AM
Just wondering what kind of diet you follow/reccommend. I probably eat
just below 2000 calories a day, and its mostly just protein, the stuff
i said plus cans of tuna, plain turkey, etc

Brian Link
September 7th 04, 03:46 AM
On 4 Sep 2004 13:17:24 -0700, (Greg) wrote:

>I've been lifting on and off for about a year but never really got
>into a good routine or serious commitment, i'd like to start. I'm 19
>years old.

Failing any responses from the smart guys, I'll give you a quick
reaction.

Starting from zero, 1 set of each exercise can result in good gains.
You prolly shouldn't leap into multiple sets right off the bat. A
warmup set at 20% would be appropriate, but not completely necessary
unless you're totally unfamiliar with the exercise to be performed
(www.exrx.net)

For accessory sets (flies in addition to presses) you probably don't
need these either from the get-go4. The first 6 weeks of a new program
might be best spent doing compounds and getting good at form.

for instance:

Squats
Deadlifts or Good Mornings
Bench Presses
Rows

+ fillers which could include

Arnold dumbbell presses
calf raises
Lat pulldowns
etc.

These alone will show you great gains over six weeks, particularly
given your age and assuming you're eating well. And you can spend the
gym time perfecting your technique so that subsequent weight and
exercise additions are truly useful.

My 2c worth

BLink