PDA

View Full Version : Cute story - How training effects your kids.


AM_Dragon
September 9th 04, 06:17 PM
I want to say thanks to everyone for the help so far. I've been
working out steady for 6 months and lifting 3 days a week for the last
4. Now for the story.

Sometimes I have my 13 month old son with me while I work out to give
his mom a break. I work out in my garage so I set up a playpen for
him. A few weeks ago he wanted something, he was reaching for some
old purple 2 or 3 pound foo foo weights. I gave him one, he picks it
up and puts it back down while I work out... That was funny however
the other day we were at the park and he grabbed a bar on a jungle gym
and started doing squats. We didn't know what he was doing at first.
When we figured it out we about fell over laughing.

Anybody else notice their children following their lead fitness wise?
What about older kids that would benefit from working out?

Thanks again,
Adam M

Lee Michaels
September 9th 04, 06:29 PM
"AM_Dragon" > wrote in message
...
> I want to say thanks to everyone for the help so far. I've been
> working out steady for 6 months and lifting 3 days a week for the last
> 4. Now for the story.
>
> Sometimes I have my 13 month old son with me while I work out to give
> his mom a break. I work out in my garage so I set up a playpen for
> him. A few weeks ago he wanted something, he was reaching for some
> old purple 2 or 3 pound foo foo weights. I gave him one, he picks it
> up and puts it back down while I work out... That was funny however
> the other day we were at the park and he grabbed a bar on a jungle gym
> and started doing squats. We didn't know what he was doing at first.
> When we figured it out we about fell over laughing.
>
> Anybody else notice their children following their lead fitness wise?
> What about older kids that would benefit from working out?
>
> Thanks again,
> Adam M
>

Come on Adam, get with the program. We don't care about his age. We just
want to know one thing......

What was his squat form like?

Dally
September 9th 04, 06:31 PM
AM_Dragon wrote:

> I want to say thanks to everyone for the help so far. I've been
> working out steady for 6 months and lifting 3 days a week for the last
> 4. Now for the story.
>
> Sometimes I have my 13 month old son with me while I work out to give
> his mom a break.

Here's a hint: mothers hate it when you indicate that watching your OWN
son is babysitting to do the woman a favor. I don't even know why you
felt you had to explain the presence of your child in your home with you
during your leisure time. It kind of weirds me out, actually. I can
deal with it, I just thought you might like to know how you're coming
across. It's so much better if you learn to live with woman, don't you
think? (Don't ask Will Brink for tips on this.)

> I work out in my garage so I set up a playpen for
> him. A few weeks ago he wanted something, he was reaching for some
> old purple 2 or 3 pound foo foo weights. I gave him one, he picks it
> up and puts it back down while I work out... That was funny however
> the other day we were at the park and he grabbed a bar on a jungle gym
> and started doing squats. We didn't know what he was doing at first.
> When we figured it out we about fell over laughing.
>
> Anybody else notice their children following their lead fitness wise?
> What about older kids that would benefit from working out?

I've got the opposite problem with my high-school aged daughter. She is
trying valiently to NOT be like me. I've just watched her try to join
the field hockey team. She realized that she hated it and despite her
strong desire to be different than me, she just joined the cross country
running team. And started weight-lifting yesterday. It was both funny
and sad watching her fight her fate.

Dally, a weightlifting cross-country-runner

AM_Dragon
September 9th 04, 06:59 PM
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:31:40 -0400, Dally > wrote:

>AM_Dragon wrote:
>
>> I want to say thanks to everyone for the help so far. I've been
>> working out steady for 6 months and lifting 3 days a week for the last
>> 4. Now for the story.
>>
>> Sometimes I have my 13 month old son with me while I work out to give
>> his mom a break.
>
>Here's a hint: mothers hate it when you indicate that watching your OWN
>son is babysitting to do the woman a favor. I don't even know why you
>felt you had to explain the presence of your child in your home with you
>during your leisure time. It kind of weirds me out, actually. I can
>deal with it, I just thought you might like to know how you're coming
>across. It's so much better if you learn to live with woman, don't you
>think? (Don't ask Will Brink for tips on this.)
>
Well it's Usenet. I was trying to be specific. My wife and I have 10
great years together, and I'm pretty sure "Can you take him with you
when you work out to give me a break" were her words. She is a stay
at home mom, and is with him all day. I'm not at home all day and am
more than happy to spend more time with my son. Sorry if it came out
any different than that.

> > I work out in my garage so I set up a playpen for
>> him. A few weeks ago he wanted something, he was reaching for some
>> old purple 2 or 3 pound foo foo weights. I gave him one, he picks it
>> up and puts it back down while I work out... That was funny however
>> the other day we were at the park and he grabbed a bar on a jungle gym
>> and started doing squats. We didn't know what he was doing at first.
>> When we figured it out we about fell over laughing.
>>
>> Anybody else notice their children following their lead fitness wise?
>> What about older kids that would benefit from working out?
>
>I've got the opposite problem with my high-school aged daughter. She is
>trying valiently to NOT be like me. I've just watched her try to join
>the field hockey team. She realized that she hated it and despite her
>strong desire to be different than me, she just joined the cross country
>running team. And started weight-lifting yesterday. It was both funny
>and sad watching her fight her fate.
>
>Dally, a weightlifting cross-country-runner

That what I was talking about. My parents seemed to have little to no
interest in fitness and or sports. I didn't know how much I enjoyed
working out until I started taking a Martial Arts class when I was 25.

Adam M

Justin Case
September 9th 04, 10:14 PM
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:31:40 -0400, Dally > wrote:

>AM_Dragon wrote:
>
>> I want to say thanks to everyone for the help so far. I've been
>> working out steady for 6 months and lifting 3 days a week for the last
>> 4. Now for the story.
>>
>> Sometimes I have my 13 month old son with me while I work out to give
>> his mom a break.
>
>Here's a hint: mothers hate it when you indicate that watching your OWN
>son is babysitting to do the woman a favor. I don't even know why you

He didn't say he was babysitting.

>felt you had to explain the presence of your child in your home with you
>during your leisure time. It kind of weirds me out, actually. I can

For one thing, *I* wouldn't have a baby in a playpen with my during a
workout unless there was a reason. Necessity is about it. Certainly
wouldn't be my choice. He stated HIS reason.
He's practicaly a saint!

>> Anybody else notice their children following their lead fitness wise?
>> What about older kids that would benefit from working out?
>
>I've got the opposite problem with my high-school aged daughter. She is
>trying valiently to NOT be like me...

Smart kid. She'll be fine.

The Queen of Cans and Jars
September 10th 04, 01:52 AM
Justin Case > wrote:

> For one thing, *I* wouldn't have a baby

me neither.

User
September 10th 04, 06:30 AM
My four year old son loves to "hold my knees" when I am bench pressing. I
tell him how much help he is and how I couldn't do it without him. He likes
to lift small weights, and when I'm not around, I'll come back to the weight
room and find the spin collars all over the place and the plates moved
around. He walks around flexing and showing us how "big" his biceps are (so
does every four year old male I know, but still). And he growls a lot, too,
when he and I are "working out" together. He's also at that stage where he
wants to wrestle, and I mean hard, all the damn time. Gotta love those
kids.

BobMac
September 11th 04, 11:07 PM
AM_Dragon wrote:

>
> Anybody else notice their children following their lead fitness wise?
> What about older kids that would benefit from working out?
>

Adam, as a rule, preschool kids will think that whatever you do is
NORMAL, and they will want to do it. If you lift weights, they'll lift
weights. If you come home and flop in front of the TV, they'll think
it's normal.

If you play Irish fiddle obsessively, you'll have a fiddler in the house.

And so on.

rm

Goran Tomas
September 12th 04, 02:29 PM
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:31:40 -0400, Dally > wrote:
>AM_Dragon wrote:
>
>> I want to say thanks to everyone for the help so far. I've been
>> working out steady for 6 months and lifting 3 days a week for the last
>> 4. Now for the story.
>>
>> Sometimes I have my 13 month old son with me while I work out to give
>> his mom a break.
>
>Here's a hint: mothers hate it when you indicate that watching your OWN
>son is babysitting to do the woman a favor. I don't even know why you
>felt you had to explain the presence of your child in your home with you
>during your leisure time.

I agree with Dally on this. Working out and weights aside, but that
sentence "take my son with me to give his mom a break" caught my
attention as well. I mean if _that_ is the reason why a father is
spending time with his own son....

OTOH, it seems 'Dragon' pretty much enjoys and likes that his son is
learning something from him in the time that they spend together
(luckily his mom needs a break (being intentionally wicked here ;-))
and that he's actually his son's role model (at least for the time
being) so it might just be a clumsy choice of words ;-)

>> Anybody else notice their children following their lead fitness wise?
>> What about older kids that would benefit from working out?
>
>I've got the opposite problem with my high-school aged daughter. She is
>trying valiently to NOT be like me. I've just watched her try to join
>the field hockey team. She realized that she hated it and despite her
>strong desire to be different than me, she just joined the cross country
>running team. And started weight-lifting yesterday. It was both funny
>and sad watching her fight her fate.

Now here's something that caught my attention as well - fight her
fate??

What is her fate? Don't tell me you actually think you know _her_
fate?

Cause if you feel you do, her behavior makes every sense. Particularly
at her age!


Regards,
Goran Tomas

Dally
September 13th 04, 03:20 PM
Goran Tomas wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:31:40 -0400, Dally > wrote:

>>>Anybody else notice their children following their lead fitness wise?
>>>What about older kids that would benefit from working out?
>>
>>I've got the opposite problem with my high-school aged daughter. She is
>>trying valiently to NOT be like me. I've just watched her try to join
>>the field hockey team. She realized that she hated it and despite her
>>strong desire to be different than me, she just joined the cross country
>>running team. And started weight-lifting yesterday. It was both funny
>>and sad watching her fight her fate.
>
>
> Now here's something that caught my attention as well - fight her
> fate??
>
> What is her fate? Don't tell me you actually think you know _her_
> fate?
>
> Cause if you feel you do, her behavior makes every sense. Particularly
> at her age!

I know that she is more like me than she wants to be. She is resisting
being herself when she perceives that to be like me. Her fate is to be
herself. It's a tough assignment for a young teen.

Dally

Hugh Beyer
September 13th 04, 06:13 PM
Goran Tomas > wrote in
:

>>Here's a hint: mothers hate it when you indicate that watching your OWN
>>son is babysitting to do the woman a favor. I don't even know why you
>>felt you had to explain the presence of your child in your home with you
>>during your leisure time.
>
> I agree with Dally on this. Working out and weights aside, but that
> sentence "take my son with me to give his mom a break" caught my
> attention as well. I mean if _that_ is the reason why a father is
> spending time with his own son....
>

The two of you need to get a life. Couples divide up the work however makes
sense and any departure from the routine is "giving the other a break."

And if you think having an ankle biter attached non-stop when you've got
something else to do is all hearts and flowers and puppy dogs, you've
forgotten what small kids are like.

Hugh
/

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.