PDA

View Full Version : Christy Newman's Bench Record

Top Sirloin
September 13th 04, 07:39 PM
John Hanson wrote:

> Christy Newman just set a world bench record. I think her picture
> below this post is priceless:
> http://www.powerlifting.ca/cgi-bin/usapl.cgi?read=50111
>
> Here's a direct link to her picture just after getting 352.5 pounds at
> a light 165:
> http://www.goheavy.com/Newman-160_5.jpg

I just can't get excited about equipped
powerlifting anymore.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

John Hanson
September 13th 04, 08:06 PM
Christy Newman just set a world bench record. I think her picture
below this post is priceless:
http://www.powerlifting.ca/cgi-bin/usapl.cgi?read=50111

Here's a direct link to her picture just after getting 352.5 pounds at
a light 165:
http://www.goheavy.com/Newman-160_5.jpg

Proton Soup
September 13th 04, 08:07 PM
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:06:21 -0500, John Hanson
> wrote:

>Christy Newman just set a world bench record. I think her picture
>below this post is priceless:
>http://www.powerlifting.ca/cgi-bin/usapl.cgi?read=50111
>
>Here's a direct link to her picture just after getting 352.5 pounds at
>a light 165:
>http://www.goheavy.com/Newman-160_5.jpg

Impressive.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Lordy
September 14th 04, 12:56 AM
Bob Falooley > wrote in news:[email protected]
int2.gatech.edu:

>> http://www.goheavy.com/Newman-160_5.jpg
>
> Is that the sexiest woman in powerlifting?

Any pics of her with a "normal" expression?

I've heard it said that facial beauty is related to the inability to pull
an ugly face, and considering how excited/animated she is her face looks
quite nice!

And now suddenly it looks like one of those blow up doll expressions!

--
Lordy

Bob Falooley
September 14th 04, 01:31 AM
John Hanson wrote:

> Christy Newman just set a world bench record. I think her picture
> below this post is priceless:
> http://www.powerlifting.ca/cgi-bin/usapl.cgi?read=50111
>
> Here's a direct link to her picture just after getting 352.5 pounds at
> a light 165:
> http://www.goheavy.com/Newman-160_5.jpg

Is that the sexiest woman in powerlifting?

--Falooley

Proton Soup
September 14th 04, 01:58 AM
On 13 Sep 2004 23:56:03 GMT, Lordy > wrote:

>Bob Falooley > wrote in news:[email protected]
>int2.gatech.edu:
>
>>> http://www.goheavy.com/Newman-160_5.jpg
>>
>> Is that the sexiest woman in powerlifting?
>>

>Any pics of her with a "normal" expression?
>
>I've heard it said that facial beauty is related to the inability to pull
>an ugly face, and considering how excited/animated she is her face looks
>quite nice!
>
>And now suddenly it looks like one of those blow up doll expressions!

Nah, she's cute.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Lenny Lennerson
September 14th 04, 04:16 AM
Top Sirloin > wrote in message >...
> John Hanson wrote:
>
> > Christy Newman just set a world bench record. I think her picture
> > below this post is priceless:
> > http://www.powerlifting.ca/cgi-bin/usapl.cgi?read=50111
> >
> > Here's a direct link to her picture just after getting 352.5 pounds at
> > a light 165:
> > http://www.goheavy.com/Newman-160_5.jpg
>
> I just can't get excited about equipped
> powerlifting anymore.

- She doesn't look very strong. The first thing I thought of was "ok,
how much did technology play in that 352.5?".

John Hanson
September 14th 04, 04:39 AM
On 13 Sep 2004 20:16:37 -0700, (Lenny Lennerson)
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>Top Sirloin > wrote in message >...
>> John Hanson wrote:
>>
>> > Christy Newman just set a world bench record. I think her picture
>> > below this post is priceless:
>> > http://www.powerlifting.ca/cgi-bin/usapl.cgi?read=50111
>> >
>> > Here's a direct link to her picture just after getting 352.5 pounds at
>> > a light 165:
>> > http://www.goheavy.com/Newman-160_5.jpg
>>
>> I just can't get excited about equipped
>> powerlifting anymore.
>
>- She doesn't look very strong. The first thing I thought of was "ok,
>how much did technology play in that 352.5?".

I didn't put any thought into the amount she lifted and wouldn't have
posted anything about it if it weren't for the picture of her and her
expression after just setting a world record. I'm guessing that she
is looking at the lights in that pic. That picture is totally cool.

Technology plays a large part but so does technique. Christy has a
huge arch, I believe, which make the travel distance of the bar
shrink.

I've come to the conclusion that gear is good for a smart powerlifter.
A smart powerlifter will get way more out of their gear than less
intelligent/more stubborn lifter by training to get the most out of
it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Top Sirloin
September 14th 04, 06:16 PM
John Hanson wrote:
> On 13 Sep 2004 20:16:37 -0700, (Lenny Lennerson)
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

>>Top Sirloin > wrote in message >...

>>>I just can't get excited about equipped
>>>powerlifting anymore.
>>
>>- She doesn't look very strong. The first thing I thought of was "ok,
>>how much did technology play in that 352.5?".
>

> I didn't put any thought into the amount she lifted and wouldn't have
> posted anything about it if it weren't for the picture of her and her
> expression after just setting a world record. I'm guessing that she
> is looking at the lights in that pic. That picture is totally cool.

I agree completely that the picture is cool, and I
didn't mean to denigrate her accomplishment. I
just don't think equipped powerlifting falls into
the "feats of strength" category anymore.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

Bob Falooley
September 14th 04, 06:50 PM
Proton Soup wrote:

> On 13 Sep 2004 23:56:03 GMT, Lordy > wrote:
>
>>Bob Falooley > wrote in news:[email protected]

>>And now suddenly it looks like one of those blow up doll expressions!
>
> Nah, she's cute.
>
> -----------
> Proton Soup
>
> "Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

She is fine, I like that red hair.

--Falooley

bc
September 14th 04, 10:12 PM
Proton Soup > wrote in message >...
> On 13 Sep 2004 23:56:03 GMT, Lordy > wrote:
>
> >Bob Falooley > wrote in news:[email protected]
> >int2.gatech.edu:

> >> Is that the sexiest woman in powerlifting?
> >>

> >Any pics of her with a "normal" expression?
> >
> >I've heard it said that facial beauty is related to the inability to pull
> >an ugly face, and considering how excited/animated she is her face looks
> >quite nice!
> >
> >And now suddenly it looks like one of those blow up doll expressions!
>
> Nah, she's cute.
>
> -----------
> Proton Soup
>
> "Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

I had fun reading her description of the event.

- bc

Lordy
September 14th 04, 11:54 PM
Proton Soup > wrote in
:

>>Any pics of her with a "normal" expression?
>>
>>I've heard it said that facial beauty is related to the inability to
>>pull an ugly face, and considering how excited/animated she is her
>>face looks quite nice!
>>
>>And now suddenly it looks like one of those blow up doll expressions!
>
> Nah, she's cute.

I didn't disagree! (Hence first para). Now anyone got more sedate jpegs?

--
Lordy

John Hanson
September 15th 04, 01:00 AM
On 14 Sep 2004 22:54:52 GMT, Lordy > wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

:

>>>Any pics of her with a "normal" expression?
>>>
>>>I've heard it said that facial beauty is related to the inability to
>>>pull an ugly face, and considering how excited/animated she is her
>>>face looks quite nice!
>>>
>>>And now suddenly it looks like one of those blow up doll expressions!
>>
>> Nah, she's cute.
>

>I didn't disagree! (Hence first para). Now anyone got more sedate jpegs?

I think she competes for LSU. I could be wrong but I'm sure it's
either a Louisiana or Texas school. They might have some on their
site.

Lenny Lennerson
September 15th 04, 04:10 AM
Bob Falooley > wrote in message >...
> Proton Soup wrote:
>
> > On 13 Sep 2004 23:56:03 GMT, Lordy > wrote:
> >
> >>Bob Falooley > wrote in news:[email protected]
>
> >>And now suddenly it looks like one of those blow up doll expressions!
> >
> > Nah, she's cute.
> >
> > -----------
> > Proton Soup
> >
> > "Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."
>
> She is fine, I like that red hair.

- You guys really need to get out of the gym more often, all those
years of looking at the sweaty asses of men has really lowered your
female standards.

Proton Soup
September 15th 04, 04:51 AM
On 14 Sep 2004 20:10:48 -0700, (Lenny Lennerson)
wrote:

>Bob Falooley > wrote in message >...
>> Proton Soup wrote:

>> > Nah, she's cute.
>> >
>> > -----------
>> > Proton Soup
>> >
>> > "Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."
>>
>> She is fine, I like that red hair.
>
>- You guys really need to get out of the gym more often, all those
>years of looking at the sweaty asses of men has really lowered your
>female standards.

Really now? If you actually met one of the airbrushed porn models you
fantasize about on the street without her makeup, you'd probably not
give her the time of day.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Peter Allen
September 15th 04, 10:44 PM
John Hanson > wrote in message >...
> On 13 Sep 2004 20:16:37 -0700, (Lenny Lennerson)
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >Top Sirloin > wrote in message >...

> >> I just can't get excited about equipped
> >> powerlifting anymore.
> >
> >- She doesn't look very strong. The first thing I thought of was "ok,
> >how much did technology play in that 352.5?".
>
> I didn't put any thought into the amount she lifted and wouldn't have
> posted anything about it if it weren't for the picture of her and her
> expression after just setting a world record. I'm guessing that she
> is looking at the lights in that pic. That picture is totally cool.
>
> Technology plays a large part but so does technique. Christy has a
> huge arch, I believe, which make the travel distance of the bar
> shrink.
>
> I've come to the conclusion that gear is good for a smart powerlifter.
> A smart powerlifter will get way more out of their gear than less
> intelligent/more stubborn lifter by training to get the most out of
> it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

A 'smart' cyclist or rower will go faster with a petrol motor doing half the work.

That doesn't make it any less cheating.

Peter

John Hanson
September 16th 04, 02:48 AM
On 15 Sep 2004 14:44:09 -0700, (Peter Allen)
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson > wrote in message >...
>> On 13 Sep 2004 20:16:37 -0700, (Lenny Lennerson)
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> >- She doesn't look very strong. The first thing I thought of was "ok,
>> >how much did technology play in that 352.5?".
>>
>> I didn't put any thought into the amount she lifted and wouldn't have
>> posted anything about it if it weren't for the picture of her and her
>> expression after just setting a world record. I'm guessing that she
>> is looking at the lights in that pic. That picture is totally cool.
>>
>> Technology plays a large part but so does technique. Christy has a
>> huge arch, I believe, which make the travel distance of the bar
>> shrink.
>>
>> I've come to the conclusion that gear is good for a smart powerlifter.
>> A smart powerlifter will get way more out of their gear than less
>> intelligent/more stubborn lifter by training to get the most out of
>> it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
>
>A 'smart' cyclist or rower will go faster with a petrol motor doing half the work.
>
>That doesn't make it any less cheating.

If everyone is using a motor, then everything is equal. What's with
this raw kick anyway. Rickey Dale Crain will tell you that there has
ALWAYS been gear in powerlifting.

Using supportive gear according to the rules of your fed is perfectly
legal and in no way is it cheating.

Lyle McDonald
September 16th 04, 06:00 AM
John Hanson wrote:

>>That doesn't make it any less cheating.
>

> If everyone is using a motor, then everything is equal. What's with
> this raw kick anyway. Rickey Dale Crain will tell you that there has
> ALWAYS been gear in powerlifting.

I beleieve that RDC should check his history.
Now if you want to get semantic and call a belt and singlet 'gear', he's
probably right.

> Using supportive gear according to the rules of your fed is perfectly
> legal and in no way is it cheating.

And of course, if you don't like what one fed allows, just start your
own federation which will let you further artifically elevate your
poundages by allwoing more ludcrious gear, right?

When someone is wearing a bench shirt that won't ALLOW him to get 800+
lbs to his chest, things have reached circus level. Might as well bring
in the forklifts at that point and quit pretending that it's anything
but the gear.

Hell, why not. I'm forming the USFLPF (United States Fork Lift
Powerlifting Federation), I'm declaring forklifts as legal gear. Bring
it on.

Lyle

Helgi Briem
September 16th 04, 10:39 AM
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:00:22 -0600, Lyle McDonald
> wrote:

>When someone is wearing a bench shirt that won't ALLOW him to get 800+
>lbs to his chest, things have reached circus level. Might as well bring
>in the forklifts at that point and quit pretending that it's anything
>but the gear.

Well, you could compete in negatives. Lowest weight that
could be pulled into the chest while wearing a bench shirt
wins.

>Hell, why not. I'm forming the USFLPF (United States Fork Lift
>Powerlifting Federation), I'm declaring forklifts as legal gear. Bring
>it on.

Lt. Ellen Ripley would win.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

John M. Williams
September 16th 04, 01:04 PM
Helgi Briem > wrote:

>>Hell, why not. I'm forming the USFLPF (United States Fork Lift
>>Powerlifting Federation), I'm declaring forklifts as legal gear. Bring
>>it on.
>
>Lt. Ellen Ripley would win.

No. She'd be disqualified when they found xenomorphic DNA in the
urine screen.

Hoff
September 16th 04, 02:06 PM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> If everyone is using a motor, then everything is equal. What's with
> this raw kick anyway. Rickey Dale Crain will tell you that there has
> ALWAYS been gear in powerlifting.

Just my opinion, but it's just the growing absurdity of the equipment.

Even single ply. I did a quick comparison of the winning totals in the IPF
between 1992 and 2003, Men's World.

DL went up an average of 4.5%.

Squat went up an average of *10.5%*.

Bench went up an average of **25.5%**.

Hoff
--
Peanuts!! Get yer Peanuts!!
http://irongarm.org/Files_html_global/peanutgallery2.htm

Bob MacWilliam
September 16th 04, 02:13 PM
Lyle McDonald > wrote in message >...
> John Hanson wrote:
>
> >>That doesn't make it any less cheating.
> >

> > If everyone is using a motor, then everything is equal. What's with
> > this raw kick anyway. Rickey Dale Crain will tell you that there has
> > ALWAYS been gear in powerlifting.
>
> I beleieve that RDC should check his history.
> Now if you want to get semantic and call a belt and singlet 'gear', he's
> probably right.
>
> > Using supportive gear according to the rules of your fed is perfectly
> > legal and in no way is it cheating.
>
> And of course, if you don't like what one fed allows, just start your
> own federation which will let you further artifically elevate your
> poundages by allwoing more ludcrious gear, right?
>
> When someone is wearing a bench shirt that won't ALLOW him to get 800+
> lbs to his chest, things have reached circus level. Might as well bring
> in the forklifts at that point and quit pretending that it's anything
> but the gear.
>
> Hell, why not. I'm forming the USFLPF (United States Fork Lift
> Powerlifting Federation), I'm declaring forklifts as legal gear. Bring
> it on.
>
> Lyle

Why not go the other way and form the USNPF (United States Naked
Powerlifting Federation)?

Oh no, that image is burning a hole in my brain...Ahhhh...

Bob

Helgi Briem
September 16th 04, 02:58 PM
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:04:46 -0400, John M. Williams
> wrote:

>Helgi Briem > wrote:
>>
>>>Hell, why not. I'm forming the USFLPF (United States Fork Lift
>>>Powerlifting Federation), I'm declaring forklifts as legal gear. Bring
>>>it on.
>>
>>Lt. Ellen Ripley would win.
>
>No. She'd be disqualified when they found xenomorphic
> DNA in the urine screen.

She didn't have that until later when she wasn't competing
in the "fork-lift assisted" class. When she competed in the
"genetically enhanced" category, I believe she was raw.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Lyle McDonald
September 16th 04, 03:14 PM
Bob MacWilliam wrote:
> Lyle McDonald > wrote in message >...

>>>If everyone is using a motor, then everything is equal. What's with
>>>this raw kick anyway. Rickey Dale Crain will tell you that there has
>>>ALWAYS been gear in powerlifting.
>>
>>I beleieve that RDC should check his history.
>>Now if you want to get semantic and call a belt and singlet 'gear', he's
>>probably right.
>>

>>>Using supportive gear according to the rules of your fed is perfectly
>>>legal and in no way is it cheating.
>>
>>And of course, if you don't like what one fed allows, just start your
>>own federation which will let you further artifically elevate your
>>poundages by allwoing more ludcrious gear, right?
>>
>>When someone is wearing a bench shirt that won't ALLOW him to get 800+
>>lbs to his chest, things have reached circus level. Might as well bring
>>in the forklifts at that point and quit pretending that it's anything
>>but the gear.
>>
>>Hell, why not. I'm forming the USFLPF (United States Fork Lift
>>Powerlifting Federation), I'm declaring forklifts as legal gear. Bring
>>it on.
>>
>>Lyle
>

> Why not go the other way and form the USNPF (United States Naked
> Powerlifting Federation)?
>
> Oh no, that image is burning a hole in my brain...Ahhhh...

Deadlifts would be problematic.

But the original Olympians competed nude, why the hell not?

Lyle

Pat Styles
September 16th 04, 03:26 PM
"Helgi Briem" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:04:46 -0400, John M. Williams
> > wrote:

> >>Lt. Ellen Ripley would win.
> >
> >No. She'd be disqualified when they found xenomorphic
> > DNA in the urine screen.
>
> She didn't have that until later when she wasn't competing
> in the "fork-lift assisted" class. When she competed in the
> "genetically enhanced" category, I believe she was raw.

I'd love to see her compete raw.
ps

Lee Michaels
September 16th 04, 03:37 PM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote

> Bob MacWilliam wrote:
> > Lyle McDonald > wrote in message

> >>I beleieve that RDC should check his history.
> >>Now if you want to get semantic and call a belt and singlet 'gear', he's
> >>probably right.

> >>And of course, if you don't like what one fed allows, just start your
> >>own federation which will let you further artifically elevate your
> >>poundages by allwoing more ludcrious gear, right?
> >>
> >>When someone is wearing a bench shirt that won't ALLOW him to get 800+
> >>lbs to his chest, things have reached circus level. Might as well bring
> >>in the forklifts at that point and quit pretending that it's anything
> >>but the gear.
> >>
> >>Hell, why not. I'm forming the USFLPF (United States Fork Lift
> >>Powerlifting Federation), I'm declaring forklifts as legal gear. Bring
> >>it on.
> >>
> >>Lyle
> >

> > Why not go the other way and form the USNPF (United States Naked
> > Powerlifting Federation)?
> >
> > Oh no, that image is burning a hole in my brain...Ahhhh...
>
> Deadlifts would be problematic.
>
> But the original Olympians competed nude, why the hell not?

Lyle pointed out an obvious problem with this proposal.

What about the meeting of deep knurling and HAIR??

Helgi Briem
September 16th 04, 03:58 PM
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:37:19 GMT, "Lee Michaels"

>> > Why not go the other way and form the USNPF (United States Naked
>> > Powerlifting Federation)?
>> >
>> > Oh no, that image is burning a hole in my brain...Ahhhh...
>>
>> Deadlifts would be problematic.
>> But the original Olympians competed nude, why the hell not?
>>
>Lyle pointed out an obvious problem with this proposal.
>What about the meeting of deep knurling and HAIR??

Well, that's only a problem for the Lyles of the world.
They can wax if it's a problem for them.

The problem as I see it is one of aesthetics. Can you imagine
the sheer horror of the SHW class?

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

John Hanson
September 16th 04, 04:07 PM
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:00:22 -0600, Lyle McDonald
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson wrote:
>
>>>That doesn't make it any less cheating.
>>

>> If everyone is using a motor, then everything is equal. What's with
>> this raw kick anyway. Rickey Dale Crain will tell you that there has
>> ALWAYS been gear in powerlifting.
>
>I beleieve that RDC should check his history.
>Now if you want to get semantic and call a belt and singlet 'gear', he's
>probably right.

No. I was reading an article from 1968 where the writer was
complaining about the bandages (which were allowed but there was no
length limit, etc.) being worn on guys elbows and knees during a
competition. Lifters were even using wetsuits under their singlets as
there was no rule against that.

>> Using supportive gear according to the rules of your fed is perfectly
>> legal and in no way is it cheating.
>
>And of course, if you don't like what one fed allows, just start your
>own federation which will let you further artifically elevate your
>poundages by allwoing more ludcrious gear, right?

Or, if you want an all raw category, you can let lifters squat high,
not pause the bench properly and hitch and ramp their deadlifts.

>When someone is wearing a bench shirt that won't ALLOW him to get 800+
>lbs to his chest, things have reached circus level. Might as well bring
>in the forklifts at that point and quit pretending that it's anything
>but the gear.
>
>Hell, why not. I'm forming the USFLPF (United States Fork Lift
>Powerlifting Federation), I'm declaring forklifts as legal gear. Bring
>it on.

Okay.

John Hanson
September 16th 04, 04:13 PM
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:06:58 -0400, "Hoff" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> If everyone is using a motor, then everything is equal. What's with
>> this raw kick anyway. Rickey Dale Crain will tell you that there has
>> ALWAYS been gear in powerlifting.
>>

>Just my opinion, but it's just the growing absurdity of the equipment.
>
>Even single ply. I did a quick comparison of the winning totals in the IPF
>between 1992 and 2003, Men's World.
>
>DL went up an average of 4.5%.
>
>Squat went up an average of *10.5%*.
>
>Bench went up an average of **25.5%**.

I think the limits to the gear have nearly been reached in regard to
single ply gear. There is a backlash to it in the IPF and the reason
why the Boss suit, which is single ply, isn't allowed in IPF
competition. The Boss is super thick but fits the definition of
single ply. Also, there is talk of limiting the size of the head
opening on bench shirts which would get the neck seam off of the chest
which aids a bencher.

Bob Falooley
September 16th 04, 06:58 PM
Lee Michaels wrote:

> "Lyle McDonald" > wrote
>
>> Bob MacWilliam wrote:

>> > Why not go the other way and form the USNPF (United States Naked
>> > Powerlifting Federation)?
>> >
>> > Oh no, that image is burning a hole in my brain...Ahhhh...
>>
>> Deadlifts would be problematic.
>>
>> But the original Olympians competed nude, why the hell not?
>>
> Lyle pointed out an obvious problem with this proposal.
>
> What about the meeting of deep knurling and HAIR??

Lots and lots of chaulk might help.

--Falooley

John M. Williams
September 16th 04, 07:03 PM
Pat Styles wrote:
> "Helgi Briem" > wrote:
>> John M. Williams > wrote:

>>>No. She'd be disqualified when they found xenomorphic
>>>DNA in the urine screen.
>>
>>She didn't have that until later when she wasn't competing
>>in the "fork-lift assisted" class. When she competed in the
>>"genetically enhanced" category, I believe she was raw.
>
> I'd love to see her compete raw.

I think this is the sticking point in her deadlift:
http://tinyurl.com/5w9rb

Hugh Beyer
September 16th 04, 10:07 PM

Mazola.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Slambram
September 21st 04, 09:58 PM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:51:47 -0500, Proton Soup >
wrote:

>On 14 Sep 2004 20:10:48 -0700, (Lenny Lennerson)
>wrote:

>>- You guys really need to get out of the gym more often, all those
>>years of looking at the sweaty asses of men has really lowered your
>>female standards.
>
>Really now? If you actually met one of the airbrushed porn models you
>fantasize about on the street without her makeup, you'd probably not
>give her the time of day.
>
>-----------
>Proton Soup
>
>"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Amen! That's a whole 'nother debate. I picked up a Playboy at a
buddy's house (to read an article of course) and the first thing i
thought when i saw the cover model was was she even real? The
airbrushing is so ridiculous nowadays. Do they think we can't tell?

Anyway, just look at that girl. Nice pic, cute expression, but she
can NOT bench 350. Period.

Will
September 21st 04, 11:25 PM
In article >,
John Hanson > wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:00:22 -0600, Lyle McDonald
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

> >> If everyone is using a motor, then everything is equal. What's with
> >> this raw kick anyway. Rickey Dale Crain will tell you that there has
> >> ALWAYS been gear in powerlifting.
> >
> >I beleieve that RDC should check his history.
> >Now if you want to get semantic and call a belt and singlet 'gear', he's
> >probably right.
>
> No. I was reading an article from 1968 where the writer was
> complaining about the bandages (which were allowed but there was no
> length limit, etc.) being worn on guys elbows and knees during a
> competition. Lifters were even using wetsuits under their singlets as
> there was no rule against that.

And cutoff jeans. Worn tight, just like today's denim briefs.

Will
September 21st 04, 11:27 PM
In article >,
Lyle McDonald > wrote:

> John Hanson wrote:
>
> >>That doesn't make it any less cheating.
> >

> > If everyone is using a motor, then everything is equal. What's with
> > this raw kick anyway. Rickey Dale Crain will tell you that there has
> > ALWAYS been gear in powerlifting.
>
> I beleieve that RDC should check his history.
> Now if you want to get semantic and call a belt and singlet 'gear', he's
> probably right.
>
> > Using supportive gear according to the rules of your fed is perfectly
> > legal and in no way is it cheating.
>
> And of course, if you don't like what one fed allows, just start your
> own federation which will let you further artifically elevate your
> poundages by allwoing more ludcrious gear, right?
>
> When someone is wearing a bench shirt that won't ALLOW him to get 800+
> lbs to his chest, things have reached circus level. Might as well bring
> in the forklifts at that point and quit pretending that it's anything
> but the gear.

I have heard that Mendelson's shoulders are so tight he can't get 500 to
his chest raw.

John Hanson
September 21st 04, 11:37 PM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:25:38 -0700, Will >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >,
> John Hanson > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:00:22 -0600, Lyle McDonald
>> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> >I beleieve that RDC should check his history.
>> >Now if you want to get semantic and call a belt and singlet 'gear', he's
>> >probably right.
>>
>> No. I was reading an article from 1968 where the writer was
>> complaining about the bandages (which were allowed but there was no
>> length limit, etc.) being worn on guys elbows and knees during a
>> competition. Lifters were even using wetsuits under their singlets as
>> there was no rule against that.
>
>And cutoff jeans. Worn tight, just like today's denim briefs.

If I remember this correctly, Doug Williams said in the book, Inside
Powerlifting, that the first meet he did after he started training was
done in real tight blue jeans. He told that to Terry Todd like he was
a little embarrassed about it. I've squatted in jeans and I think I
could squat more in jeans than I can in my Centurion.