PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Storm-sensitive

Jim
September 14th 04, 12:42 AM
Cool movie,I saw it when it came out and was looking forward to watching it
with my lady last night on regular network tv. We tuned in at 8 pm last
night and there was a notice running at the bottom of the screen. "Due to
the latest problems in Florida,we feel it would be inappropriate to show
this movie at this time" I was ****ed...I said Jenny...**** this ****...lets
go rent it. Blockbuster is just a block away. Just venting.

Jim

John Hanson
September 14th 04, 03:49 AM
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>Cool movie,I saw it when it came out and was looking forward to watching it
>with my lady last night on regular network tv. We tuned in at 8 pm last
>night and there was a notice running at the bottom of the screen. "Due to
>the latest problems in Florida,we feel it would be inappropriate to show
>this movie at this time" I was ****ed...I said Jenny...**** this ****...lets
>go rent it. Blockbuster is just a block away. Just venting.

That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
BTW, it aired here.

On a side note, that "perfect storm" is the same "Halloween storm"
that hit the Upper Midwest on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1, 1991. We got 3 feet
of snow in those two days. The week before, it was in the 60s here.
It's amazing how much power that storm had when it was able to travel
halfway across the continent and dump as much snow on us like it did.
I can just imagine what it must have been like on the East Coast.

Jim
September 14th 04, 04:07 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >Cool movie,I saw it when it came out and was looking forward to watching
it
> >with my lady last night on regular network tv. We tuned in at 8 pm last
> >night and there was a notice running at the bottom of the screen. "Due to
> >the latest problems in Florida,we feel it would be inappropriate to show
> >this movie at this time" I was ****ed...I said Jenny...**** this
****...lets
> >go rent it. Blockbuster is just a block away. Just venting.
> >
> That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
> BTW, it aired here.

I wouldnt blame it on lefties or righties. I blame it on total wimpiness.

Jim

John Hanson
September 14th 04, 04:31 AM
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:07:09 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>> in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>> >Cool movie,I saw it when it came out and was looking forward to watching
>it
>> >with my lady last night on regular network tv. We tuned in at 8 pm last
>> >night and there was a notice running at the bottom of the screen. "Due to
>> >the latest problems in Florida,we feel it would be inappropriate to show
>> >this movie at this time" I was ****ed...I said Jenny...**** this
>****...lets
>> >go rent it. Blockbuster is just a block away. Just venting.
>> >
>> That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
>> BTW, it aired here.
>>
>I wouldnt blame it on lefties or righties. I blame it on total wimpiness.

It comes from the PC bull**** of the left. Or, more specifically, the
Euphorians:
http://garagelogic.com/euphoria.htm

Jim
September 14th 04, 04:34 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:07:09 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> >> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
> >> in misc.fitness.weights:

> >it
> >****...lets
> >> >
> >> That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
> >> BTW, it aired here.
> >>
> >I wouldnt blame it on lefties or righties. I blame it on total wimpiness.
> >
> It comes from the PC bull**** of the left. Or, more specifically, the
> Euphorians:
> http://garagelogic.com/euphoria.htm

Well..know how my cognitive abilities are limited...this website furthers my
opinion that I am actually smarter than most righties.

Jim

John Hanson
September 14th 04, 04:53 AM
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:34:16 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:07:09 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>> in misc.fitness.weights:

>watching
>> >it
>last
>show
>> >****...lets

>> >I wouldnt blame it on lefties or righties. I blame it on total wimpiness.
>> >
>> It comes from the PC bull**** of the left. Or, more specifically, the
>> Euphorians:
>> http://garagelogic.com/euphoria.htm
>>

>Well..know how my cognitive abilities are limited...this website furthers my
>opinion that I am actually smarter than most righties.

And why do you say that?

Jim
September 14th 04, 04:53 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:34:16 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> >> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:07:09 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
> >> in misc.fitness.weights:

wrote

> >watching
> >last
"Due
> >show

> >> It comes from the PC bull**** of the left. Or, more specifically, the
> >> Euphorians:
> >> http://garagelogic.com/euphoria.htm
> >>

> >Well..know how my cognitive abilities are limited...this website furthers
my
> >opinion that I am actually smarter than most righties.
> >
> And why do you say that?

Because,I firmly beleive John Kerry is a better man and would be a better
president for US. I beleive it in my heart. I am a terrible poster to MFW.
I cant even argue with anyone..But..I beleive in my heart...George Bush is
an evil man. I feel it in my heart and he will win this election.

Jim

John Hanson
September 14th 04, 05:06 AM
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:53:46 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:34:16 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>> in misc.fitness.weights:

>wrote

>> >watching
>> >last
>"Due
>> >show

>wimpiness.

>> >Well..know how my cognitive abilities are limited...this website furthers
>my
>> >opinion that I am actually smarter than most righties.
>> >
>> And why do you say that?
>>
>Because,I firmly beleive John Kerry is a better man and would be a better
>president for US. I beleive it in my heart. I am a terrible poster to MFW.
>I cant even argue with anyone..But..I beleive in my heart...George Bush is
>an evil man. I feel it in my heart and he will win this election.

Yeah, but didn't you find this page funny and ringing loudly of how
the PC leftist "feel" about some issues?

http://www.garagelogic.com/issues.htm

It would be even funnier if you could hear "Morgan's" PSAs on Joe
Soucheray's radio show.

http://www.garagelogic.com/joebio.htm

Jim
September 14th 04, 05:13 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:53:46 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> >> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:34:16 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
> >> in misc.fitness.weights:

wrote

> >wrote

> >"Due

> >wimpiness.

> >my
> >> >
> >> And why do you say that?
> >>
> >Because,I firmly beleive John Kerry is a better man and would be a better
> >president for US. I beleive it in my heart. I am a terrible poster to
MFW.
> >I cant even argue with anyone..But..I beleive in my heart...George Bush
is
> >an evil man. I feel it in my heart and he will win this election.
> >
> Yeah, but didn't you find this page funny and ringing loudly of how
> the PC leftist "feel" about some issues?
>
> http://www.garagelogic.com/issues.htm
>
> It would be even funnier if you could hear "Morgan's" PSAs on Joe
> Soucheray's radio show.
>
> http://www.garagelogic.com/joebio.htm

I will try and check it out...but Im still voting for Kerry.
Dont worry...you will still have your guns.

Jim

Jim
September 14th 04, 05:17 AM
I wonder what Rush knows about guns...dont ya wonder? He talks about it
alot.

Jim

Jim
September 14th 04, 05:33 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:17:15 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >I wonder what Rush knows about guns...dont ya wonder? He talks about it
> >alot.
> >
> I've listened to Rush about 30 minutes in the last 3 years.

I thought he was your mouthpeice to counteract the liberal media! Traitor!

Jim

John Hanson
September 14th 04, 05:36 AM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:17:15 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>I wonder what Rush knows about guns...dont ya wonder? He talks about it
>alot.

I've listened to Rush about 30 minutes in the last 3 years.

Jim
September 14th 04, 05:46 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:33:54 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> >> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:17:15 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
> >> in misc.fitness.weights:

> >> I've listened to Rush about 30 minutes in the last 3 years.
> >>

> >I thought he was your mouthpeice to counteract the liberal media!
Traitor!

> I listened to him a lot in the 90s but not anymore. I used to love
> his Clinton bits. That and his James Carville bits. Especially the
> one where Carville is babbling about how Ken Starr is an alien and how
> he's going to come down out of his space ship and give cartons of
> cigarettes to your babies. LOL!

That was funny..it still amazes me how Carville and Matalin are married. I
see it as very sexual in the beginning...but damn...they are still together
many years.

Jim

John Hanson
September 14th 04, 05:47 AM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:33:54 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:17:15 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>> in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>> >I wonder what Rush knows about guns...dont ya wonder? He talks about it
>> >alot.
>> >
>> I've listened to Rush about 30 minutes in the last 3 years.
>>

>I thought he was your mouthpeice to counteract the liberal media! Traitor!

I listened to him a lot in the 90s but not anymore. I used to love
his Clinton bits. That and his James Carville bits. Especially the
one where Carville is babbling about how Ken Starr is an alien and how
he's going to come down out of his space ship and give cartons of
cigarettes to your babies. LOL!

John M. Williams
September 14th 04, 06:20 AM
"Jim" > wrote:
>"John Hanson" > wrote:
>> "Jim" > wrote:
>> >
>> >I wonder what Rush knows about guns...dont ya wonder? He talks about it
>> >alot.
>>
>> I've listened to Rush about 30 minutes in the last 3 years.
>
>I thought he was your mouthpeice to counteract the liberal media! Traitor!

I haven't listened to Limbaugh for years. I think half his listeners
are liberals looking for something to bitch about.

Jim
September 14th 04, 06:31 AM
"John M. Williams" > wrote in message
> "Jim" > wrote:

> >> I've listened to Rush about 30 minutes in the last 3 years.
> >
> >I thought he was your mouthpeice to counteract the liberal media!
Traitor!

> I haven't listened to Limbaugh for years. I think half his listeners
> are liberals looking for something to bitch about.

Im glad you feel that way...but Rush still has an audience. And it is pretty
much wrong.

Jim

John M. Williams
September 14th 04, 06:50 AM
"Jim" > wrote:

>"John M. Williams" > wrote in message

>> >I thought he was your mouthpeice to counteract the liberal media!
>> >Traitor!
>>
>> I haven't listened to Limbaugh for years. I think half his listeners
>> are liberals looking for something to bitch about.
>
>Im glad you feel that way...but Rush still has an audience. And it is pretty
>much wrong.

You listen to him all the time. That's exactly what I'm talking
about. I have no idea what Limbaugh is saying until some liberal
starts screeching about it. He wouldn't be nearly so popular if it
weren't for guys you like you, glued to the radio and looking for
something to **** them off.

Tiger Hillside
September 14th 04, 03:12 PM
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:49:28 -0500, John Hanson
> wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>Cool movie,I saw it when it came out and was looking forward to watching it
>>with my lady last night on regular network tv. We tuned in at 8 pm last
>>night and there was a notice running at the bottom of the screen. "Due to
>>the latest problems in Florida,we feel it would be inappropriate to show
>>this movie at this time" I was ****ed...I said Jenny...**** this ****...lets
>>go rent it. Blockbuster is just a block away. Just venting.
>>
>That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
>BTW, it aired here.
>
>On a side note, that "perfect storm" is the same "Halloween storm"
>that hit the Upper Midwest on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1, 1991. We got 3 feet
>of snow in those two days. The week before, it was in the 60s here.
>It's amazing how much power that storm had when it was able to travel
>halfway across the continent and dump as much snow on us like it did.
>I can just imagine what it must have been like on the East Coast.

If I remember the part of the book I read correctly it went the other
way. The Midwest storm crossed to the East Coast and met up with a
North Atlantic storm and a storm moving up from the south. I don't
think the weather ever moves from the East Coast back to the Midwest.
(East Coast weather affects Midwest weather, that is not the same
thing.)

John Hanson
September 14th 04, 03:27 PM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:12:52 GMT, Tiger Hillside
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:49:28 -0500, John Hanson
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>>in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>>>Cool movie,I saw it when it came out and was looking forward to watching it
>>>with my lady last night on regular network tv. We tuned in at 8 pm last
>>>night and there was a notice running at the bottom of the screen. "Due to
>>>the latest problems in Florida,we feel it would be inappropriate to show
>>>this movie at this time" I was ****ed...I said Jenny...**** this ****...lets
>>>go rent it. Blockbuster is just a block away. Just venting.
>>>
>>That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
>>BTW, it aired here.
>>
>>On a side note, that "perfect storm" is the same "Halloween storm"
>>that hit the Upper Midwest on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1, 1991. We got 3 feet
>>of snow in those two days. The week before, it was in the 60s here.
>>It's amazing how much power that storm had when it was able to travel
>>halfway across the continent and dump as much snow on us like it did.
>>I can just imagine what it must have been like on the East Coast.
>
>If I remember the part of the book I read correctly it went the other
>way. The Midwest storm crossed to the East Coast and met up with a
>North Atlantic storm and a storm moving up from the south. I don't
>think the weather ever moves from the East Coast back to the Midwest.
>(East Coast weather affects Midwest weather, that is not the same
>thing.)

Yeah, I think you are right. It was a convergence of three weather
systems.

Hugh Beyer
September 14th 04, 04:27 PM
John Hanson > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:12:52 GMT, Tiger Hillside
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:49:28 -0500, John Hanson
> wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>>>in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
>>>BTW, it aired here.
>>>
>>>On a side note, that "perfect storm" is the same "Halloween storm"
>>>that hit the Upper Midwest on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1, 1991. We got 3 feet
>>>of snow in those two days. The week before, it was in the 60s here.
>>>It's amazing how much power that storm had when it was able to travel
>>>halfway across the continent and dump as much snow on us like it did.
>>>I can just imagine what it must have been like on the East Coast.
>>
>>If I remember the part of the book I read correctly it went the other
>>way. The Midwest storm crossed to the East Coast and met up with a
>>North Atlantic storm and a storm moving up from the south. I don't
>>think the weather ever moves from the East Coast back to the Midwest.
>>(East Coast weather affects Midwest weather, that is not the same
>>thing.)
>>
> Yeah, I think you are right. It was a convergence of three weather
> systems.

But the third was actually a high pressure system over Greenland or some
such. The Greenland system turned clockwise and the Atlantic storm
counter-clockwise, and the Midwest storm ran into them and got pushed back
towards the land.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Tiger Hillside
September 14th 04, 05:27 PM

:

>> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:12:52 GMT, Tiger Hillside
>> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>If I remember the part of the book I read correctly it went the other
>>>way. The Midwest storm crossed to the East Coast and met up with a
>>>North Atlantic storm and a storm moving up from the south. I don't
>>>think the weather ever moves from the East Coast back to the Midwest.
>>>(East Coast weather affects Midwest weather, that is not the same
>>>thing.)
>>>
>> Yeah, I think you are right. It was a convergence of three weather
>> systems.
>>

>But the third was actually a high pressure system over Greenland or some
>such. The Greenland system turned clockwise and the Atlantic storm
>counter-clockwise, and the Midwest storm ran into them and got pushed back
>towards the land.

The book was so boring that I faded off frequently, I did not remember
that. I wish I could see the weather maps for that one.

Dally
September 14th 04, 05:47 PM
John Hanson wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:12:52 GMT, Tiger Hillside
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

>>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:49:28 -0500, John Hanson
> wrote:
>>

>>>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>>>in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
>>>BTW, it aired here.
>>>
>>>On a side note, that "perfect storm" is the same "Halloween storm"
>>>that hit the Upper Midwest on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1, 1991. We got 3 feet
>>>of snow in those two days. The week before, it was in the 60s here.
>>>It's amazing how much power that storm had when it was able to travel
>>>halfway across the continent and dump as much snow on us like it did.
>>>I can just imagine what it must have been like on the East Coast.
>>
>>If I remember the part of the book I read correctly it went the other
>>way. The Midwest storm crossed to the East Coast and met up with a
>>North Atlantic storm and a storm moving up from the south. I don't
>>think the weather ever moves from the East Coast back to the Midwest.
>>(East Coast weather affects Midwest weather, that is not the same
>>thing.)
>>

> Yeah, I think you are right. It was a convergence of three weather
> systems.

But you're right, Hanson, it was the same storm in the East that had
just dumped snow on you. I was out Trick-or-Treating in drenching rain
- it was memorably in its miserableness. That storm alone wasn't
killing anybody, it was after it met up with three other rotten storms
that it got murderous.

I don't see the point in not showing The Perfect Storm because there's
bad weather coming to the Gulf. I'd understand if they refused
advertisement for swordfish, though. I've never been able to look at
swordfish the same way now that I know people die getting it to me.

Dally

Hugh Beyer
September 14th 04, 06:40 PM
Tiger Hillside > wrote in
:

:

>>> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:12:52 GMT, Tiger Hillside

>>> Yeah, I think you are right. It was a convergence of three weather
>>> systems.
>>>

>>But the third was actually a high pressure system over Greenland or some
>>such. The Greenland system turned clockwise and the Atlantic storm
>>counter-clockwise, and the Midwest storm ran into them and got pushed
back
>>towards the land.
>
> The book was so boring that I faded off frequently, I did not remember
> that. I wish I could see the weather maps for that one.

It takes a certain kind of personality to find weather systems
fascinating...

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Tiger Hillside
September 14th 04, 06:59 PM

:

:

>in
>the
>block

>feet

>>>But the third was actually a high pressure system over Greenland or some
>>>such. The Greenland system turned clockwise and the Atlantic storm
>>>counter-clockwise, and the Midwest storm ran into them and got pushed
>back
>>>towards the land.
>>
>> The book was so boring that I faded off frequently, I did not remember
>> that. I wish I could see the weather maps for that one.
>>

>It takes a certain kind of personality to find weather systems
>fascinating...

You remembered the details. But, yes, I do have a certain kind of
personality. Some days I am glad I have only the one.

aj
September 14th 04, 07:07 PM
On 2004-09-14, John Hanson > wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:07:09 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>

>>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>>> in misc.fitness.weights:

>>it
>>****...lets
>>> >
>>> That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
>>> BTW, it aired here.
>>>
>>I wouldnt blame it on lefties or righties. I blame it on total wimpiness.
>>
> It comes from the PC bull**** of the left. Or, more specifically, the
> Euphorians:
> http://garagelogic.com/euphoria.htm

PC was *entirely* necissary at the time. It seems silly and overblown
now, but things have changed.

I friend of mine introduced me to a new (asian) friend of hers. I
didn't really know they had a romantic thing going on. I says to the
new girl: "How do you know [my friend]?"

"I'm her chinky bitch. She binds my feet and makes me cook for her,"
everyone laughs.
Now.

You might want to check out the recent mediocre movie: "Anchorman" for
examples of how things were. Or really, any Bogart film.

--
-aj
I'll mess with Texas.

aj
September 14th 04, 07:08 PM
On 2004-09-14, John Hanson > wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>Cool movie,I saw it when it came out and was looking forward to watching it
>>with my lady last night on regular network tv. We tuned in at 8 pm last
>>night and there was a notice running at the bottom of the screen. "Due to
>>the latest problems in Florida,we feel it would be inappropriate to show
>>this movie at this time" I was ****ed...I said Jenny...**** this ****...lets
>>go rent it. Blockbuster is just a block away. Just venting.
>>
> That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
> BTW, it aired here.
>
> On a side note, that "perfect storm" is the same "Halloween storm"
> that hit the Upper Midwest on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1, 1991. We got 3 feet
> of snow in those two days. The week before, it was in the 60s here.
> It's amazing how much power that storm had when it was able to travel
> halfway across the continent and dump as much snow on us like it did.
> I can just imagine what it must have been like on the East Coast.

Terrible waste of celluloid, time, and photons.

Now, Sebatian Junger's book, that was pretty ****in' great. But you
couldn't film that, it was mostly meteorology.

--
-aj
I'll mess with Texas.

aj
September 14th 04, 07:11 PM
On 2004-09-14, Jim > wrote:

> "John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>> in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>> >Cool movie,I saw it when it came out and was looking forward to watching
> it
>> >with my lady last night on regular network tv. We tuned in at 8 pm last
>> >night and there was a notice running at the bottom of the screen. "Due to
>> >the latest problems in Florida,we feel it would be inappropriate to show
>> >this movie at this time" I was ****ed...I said Jenny...**** this
> ****...lets
>> >go rent it. Blockbuster is just a block away. Just venting.
>> >
>> That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
>> BTW, it aired here.
>>
> I wouldnt blame it on lefties or righties. I blame it on total wimpiness.
>
> Jim

Yep.

--
-aj
I'll mess with Texas.

Tiger Hillside
September 14th 04, 08:33 PM
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:49:28 -0500, John Hanson
> wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>Cool movie,I saw it when it came out and was looking forward to watching it
>>with my lady last night on regular network tv. We tuned in at 8 pm last
>>night and there was a notice running at the bottom of the screen. "Due to
>>the latest problems in Florida,we feel it would be inappropriate to show
>>this movie at this time" I was ****ed...I said Jenny...**** this ****...lets
>>go rent it. Blockbuster is just a block away. Just venting.
>>
>That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
>BTW, it aired here.

Sort of like how _Give Peace a Chance_ was banned from some radio
stations after9/11? That kind of PC? Or maybe how they don't show
movies with airplane crashes as an in-flight movie.

[snip]

Dally
September 14th 04, 08:58 PM
Tiger Hillside wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:49:28 -0500, John Hanson
> > wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>>in misc.fitness.weights:
>>

>>>Cool movie,I saw it when it came out and was looking forward to watching it
>>>with my lady last night on regular network tv. We tuned in at 8 pm last
>>>night and there was a notice running at the bottom of the screen. "Due to
>>>the latest problems in Florida,we feel it would be inappropriate to show
>>>this movie at this time" I was ****ed...I said Jenny...**** this ****...lets
>>>go rent it. Blockbuster is just a block away. Just venting.
>>>

>>That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
>>BTW, it aired here.
>

> Sort of like how _Give Peace a Chance_ was banned from some radio
> stations after9/11? That kind of PC? Or maybe how they don't show
> movies with airplane crashes as an in-flight movie.
>
> [snip]

There was a children's book featuring a child who saves a plane from
being hijacked over New York City - the jacket cover showed the World
Trade Center towers - that was in the Scholastic Book Club flyer I had
on my desk on 9/11/01. The book utterly disappeared. It was so
thoroughly wiped from the face of the earth that I suspect it was in the
catalogue pre-shipment and the print run was dumped in a landfill
somewhere. (Sorry, I don't recall the name of it right now.)

I always thought that was silly. Children would LOVE to fantasize a
better ending. How could it harm anyone?

The wonder is that Tom Clancy novels haven't been banned from print.

Dally

Tiger Hillside
September 14th 04, 10:20 PM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:58:01 -0400, Dally > wrote:

>Tiger Hillside wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:49:28 -0500, John Hanson
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>>>in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
>>>BTW, it aired here.
>>

>> Sort of like how _Give Peace a Chance_ was banned from some radio
>> stations after9/11? That kind of PC? Or maybe how they don't show
>> movies with airplane crashes as an in-flight movie.
>>
>> [snip]
>
>There was a children's book featuring a child who saves a plane from
>being hijacked over New York City - the jacket cover showed the World
>Trade Center towers - that was in the Scholastic Book Club flyer I had
>on my desk on 9/11/01. The book utterly disappeared. It was so
>thoroughly wiped from the face of the earth that I suspect it was in the
>catalogue pre-shipment and the print run was dumped in a landfill
>somewhere. (Sorry, I don't recall the name of it right now.)
>
>I always thought that was silly. Children would LOVE to fantasize a
>better ending. How could it harm anyone?
>
>The wonder is that Tom Clancy novels haven't been banned from print.

There is a big difference between what people think is appropriate for
children and for adults. The child's book you describe happens to
sound terrible to me. Children have trouble understand the difference
between fantasy and reality as it is. Heroic books are great, but
either give them something they can do or something that is clearly
fantasy. I can't imagine trying to explain to a child that, yes,
people do hijack airplanes, and, no, they don't have to worry about it
and, no, they should not take responsibility for the plane crashing.
This is not an issue of PC, just of reasonable parenting.

Helgi Briem
September 15th 04, 03:05 PM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:20:35 GMT, Tiger Hillside
> wrote:

>>There was a children's book featuring a child who saves a plane from
>>being hijacked over New York City - the jacket cover showed the World
>>Trade Center towers - that was in the Scholastic Book Club flyer I had
>>on my desk on 9/11/01. The book utterly disappeared. It was so
>>thoroughly wiped from the face of the earth that I suspect it was in the
>>catalogue pre-shipment and the print run was dumped in a landfill
>>somewhere. (Sorry, I don't recall the name of it right now.)
>>
>>I always thought that was silly. Children would LOVE to fantasize a
>>better ending. How could it harm anyone?
>>
>>The wonder is that Tom Clancy novels haven't been banned from print.
>
>There is a big difference between what people think is appropriate for
>children and for adults. The child's book you describe happens to
>sound terrible to me. Children have trouble understand the difference
>between fantasy and reality as it is. Heroic books are great, but
>either give them something they can do or something that is clearly
>fantasy. I can't imagine trying to explain to a child that, yes,
>people do hijack airplanes, and, no, they don't have to worry about it
>and, no, they should not take responsibility for the plane crashing.
>This is not an issue of PC, just of reasonable parenting.

What a load of crap. When I was a 10 year old kid, every other book
I read had hijackers or terrorists or international superspy assassins
in it and these were pretty close to real world events at the time.
I read Tom Swift, Bob Moran, Hunter Hawk, James Bond and all
sorts of stuff of that nature. Appropriate my ass.

Oh yes, and I'm a raging lefty.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Tiger Hillside
September 16th 04, 06:02 AM
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:05:23 +0000, Helgi Briem
> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:20:35 GMT, Tiger Hillside
> wrote:
>
>>>There was a children's book featuring a child who saves a plane from
>>>being hijacked over New York City - the jacket cover showed the World
>>>Trade Center towers - that was in the Scholastic Book Club flyer I had
>>>on my desk on 9/11/01. The book utterly disappeared. It was so
>>>thoroughly wiped from the face of the earth that I suspect it was in the
>>>catalogue pre-shipment and the print run was dumped in a landfill
>>>somewhere. (Sorry, I don't recall the name of it right now.)
>>>
>>>I always thought that was silly. Children would LOVE to fantasize a
>>>better ending. How could it harm anyone?
>>>
>>>The wonder is that Tom Clancy novels haven't been banned from print.
>>
>>There is a big difference between what people think is appropriate for
>>children and for adults. The child's book you describe happens to
>>sound terrible to me. Children have trouble understand the difference
>>between fantasy and reality as it is. Heroic books are great, but
>>either give them something they can do or something that is clearly
>>fantasy. I can't imagine trying to explain to a child that, yes,
>>people do hijack airplanes, and, no, they don't have to worry about it
>>and, no, they should not take responsibility for the plane crashing.
>>This is not an issue of PC, just of reasonable parenting.
>
>What a load of crap. When I was a 10 year old kid, every other book
>I read had hijackers or terrorists or international superspy assassins
>in it and these were pretty close to real world events at the time.
> I read Tom Swift, Bob Moran, Hunter Hawk, James Bond and all
>sorts of stuff of that nature. Appropriate my ass.
>
>Oh yes, and I'm a raging lefty.

Tom Swift was not at all realistic and does not invoke the issues I
mentioned., Bond was not about children doing things. I am not
familiar with the others. Bond is certainly not right for children
getting their books from the Scholastic flyer.

Seth Breidbart
September 22nd 04, 12:20 AM
In article >, Dally > wrote:

>I don't see the point in not showing The Perfect Storm because there's
>bad weather coming to the Gulf. I'd understand if they refused
>advertisement for swordfish, though. I've never been able to look at
>swordfish the same way now that I know people die getting it to me.

Most of your food travels by truck. People driving trucks die in
accidents.

At least you'll start losing a lot more weight now.

Seth
--
Of course, common logic fails to hold up here on mfw, as a general rule
of thumb. -- Lyle McDonald

Jim
September 22nd 04, 01:39 AM
wrote:

> >I don't see the point in not showing The Perfect Storm because there's
> >bad weather coming to the Gulf. I'd understand if they refused
> >advertisement for swordfish, though. I've never been able to look at
> >swordfish the same way now that I know people die getting it to me.
>
> Most of your food travels by truck. People driving trucks die in
> accidents.
>
> At least you'll start losing a lot more weight now.
>
> Seth

I drive truck..wanna know the #1 reason for accidents.
Poor visibility. Rain..windsheild wipers not working.

Jim

Axel of the North!
October 2nd 04, 05:49 AM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:58:01 -0400, Dally > wrote:

>Tiger Hillside wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:49:28 -0500, John Hanson
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:21 -0400, "Jim" > wrote
>>>in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>That's your "PC let's not hurt anyone's feelings leftists" for you.
>>>BTW, it aired here.
>>

>> Sort of like how _Give Peace a Chance_ was banned from some radio
>> stations after9/11? That kind of PC? Or maybe how they don't show
>> movies with airplane crashes as an in-flight movie.
>>
>> [snip]
>
>There was a children's book featuring a child who saves a plane from
>being hijacked over New York City - the jacket cover showed the World
>Trade Center towers - that was in the Scholastic Book Club flyer I had
>on my desk on 9/11/01. The book utterly disappeared. It was so
>thoroughly wiped from the face of the earth that I suspect it was in the
>catalogue pre-shipment and the print run was dumped in a landfill
>somewhere. (Sorry, I don't recall the name of it right now.)
>
>I always thought that was silly. Children would LOVE to fantasize a
>better ending. How could it harm anyone?
>
>The wonder is that Tom Clancy novels haven't been banned from print.
>
>Dally

fascinating.

Al Dykes
October 2nd 04, 04:32 PM
In article >,
Axel of the North! > wrote:
>On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:58:01 -0400, Dally > wrote:
>
>>Tiger Hillside wrote:
>>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:49:28 -0500, John Hanson

>>> Sort of like how _Give Peace a Chance_ was banned from some radio
>>> stations after9/11? That kind of PC? Or maybe how they don't show
>>> movies with airplane crashes as an in-flight movie.
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>
>>There was a children's book featuring a child who saves a plane from
>>being hijacked over New York City - the jacket cover showed the World
>>Trade Center towers - that was in the Scholastic Book Club flyer I had
>>on my desk on 9/11/01. The book utterly disappeared. It was so
>>thoroughly wiped from the face of the earth that I suspect it was in the
>>catalogue pre-shipment and the print run was dumped in a landfill
>>somewhere. (Sorry, I don't recall the name of it right now.)
>>
>>I always thought that was silly. Children would LOVE to fantasize a
>>better ending. How could it harm anyone?

It _could_ be a good book, but I'm in Manhattan, I can see why adults
wouldn't touch it for their kids and schools, bookstores and libraries
wouldn't stock it because a kid that lost a parent in 9-11 could
stumble across it and be traumatized. Not unreasonable.

It sounds like a marketing nightmare no matter how good a book it was.

--
Al Dykes