PDA

View Full Version : APA Nationals Results

DanL
September 14th 04, 02:08 AM
I had a good and bad meet on Sunday. Good- I hit 2 PRs and came real close
to another (which would have also given me a PR for my total too). Bad- I
went 5/9 and had a disappointing deadlift day. Choosing my attempts a little
more carefully in the future will be key for me.

Squats I set a 10lb PR. I took 500 for an opener, no problem there. 560 for
a 2nd- I got way too deep and struggled keeping the groove on the way up. I
fought it but just as I thought I had it under control, I lost my balance
and took a step, so no lift. I did it again on my 3rd, watched my depth,
tightened my belt a notch, and did it with authority, like I should have the
1st time. So, I didn't get to go for my goal in the 580 range, but a 10lb PR
is fine.

Bench, 350 opener, easy. 385 for my 2nd, which would be a PR. I nailed it.
Someone told me that should have been my opener it looked so easy. I tried
400 for my 3rd. It felt like it was going ok but I hit a wall at lockout, I
just could not push it up. This was strange because I've worked this weight
and much more for board presses. I was told it looked like I misgrooved it
and that is probably the reason it didn't go. I'm confident I'll get this
real soon.

Deadlifts were not up to par. I opened with 525 which is pretty easy for me.
Next I went for 585 for a PR. It flew off the floor and then stopped a few
inches above my knees. I could not push my hips through to lock it out.
Hindsight being 20/20, I should have taken 565 for a 10lb meet PR total of
1510. Even 575 would have gone, thats how close the 585 felt. Ah well! I did
my 580 PR at a push pull, and I should remember that a push pull is a much
easier meet for your deadlift. Next time I will think this through better.

All in all, it was an OK meet, even with only hitting my dead opener i got
1470 for my total. I never expect to go 9/9 so that doesn't concern me, but
I have to stay disciplined with my squat and bench grooves in order to be
able to hit the numbers I want on all my attempts.

Pat Styles
September 14th 04, 03:36 AM
"DanL" > wrote in message
> I had a good and bad meet on Sunday. Good- I hit 2 PRs and came real close
> to another (which would have also given me a PR for my total too). Bad- I
> went 5/9 and had a disappointing deadlift day. Choosing my attempts a little
> more carefully in the future will be key for me.
>
> Squats I set a 10lb PR. I took 500 for an opener, no problem there. 560 for
> a 2nd- I got way too deep and struggled keeping the groove on the way up. I
> fought it but just as I thought I had it under control, I lost my balance
> and took a step, so no lift. I did it again on my 3rd, watched my depth,
> tightened my belt a notch, and did it with authority, like I should have the
> 1st time. So, I didn't get to go for my goal in the 580 range, but a 10lb PR
> is fine.
>
> Bench, 350 opener, easy. 385 for my 2nd, which would be a PR. I nailed it.
> Someone told me that should have been my opener it looked so easy. I tried
> 400 for my 3rd. It felt like it was going ok but I hit a wall at lockout, I
> just could not push it up. This was strange because I've worked this weight
> and much more for board presses. I was told it looked like I misgrooved it
> and that is probably the reason it didn't go. I'm confident I'll get this
> real soon.
>
> Deadlifts were not up to par. I opened with 525 which is pretty easy for me.
> Next I went for 585 for a PR. It flew off the floor and then stopped a few
> inches above my knees. I could not push my hips through to lock it out.
> Hindsight being 20/20, I should have taken 565 for a 10lb meet PR total of
> 1510. Even 575 would have gone, thats how close the 585 felt. Ah well! I did
> my 580 PR at a push pull, and I should remember that a push pull is a much
> easier meet for your deadlift. Next time I will think this through better.
>
> All in all, it was an OK meet, even with only hitting my dead opener i got
> 1470 for my total. I never expect to go 9/9 so that doesn't concern me, but
> I have to stay disciplined with my squat and bench grooves in order to be
> able to hit the numbers I want on all my attempts.

That's good work Dan!
ps

John Hanson
September 14th 04, 03:42 AM
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:08:04 -0400, "DanL" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>I had a good and bad meet on Sunday. Good- I hit 2 PRs and came real close
>to another (which would have also given me a PR for my total too). Bad- I
>went 5/9 and had a disappointing deadlift day. Choosing my attempts a little
>more carefully in the future will be key for me.
>
>Squats I set a 10lb PR. I took 500 for an opener, no problem there. 560 for
>a 2nd- I got way too deep and struggled keeping the groove on the way up. I
>fought it but just as I thought I had it under control, I lost my balance
>and took a step, so no lift. I did it again on my 3rd, watched my depth,
>tightened my belt a notch, and did it with authority, like I should have the
>1st time. So, I didn't get to go for my goal in the 580 range, but a 10lb PR
>is fine.
>
>Bench, 350 opener, easy. 385 for my 2nd, which would be a PR. I nailed it.
>Someone told me that should have been my opener it looked so easy. I tried
>400 for my 3rd. It felt like it was going ok but I hit a wall at lockout, I
>just could not push it up. This was strange because I've worked this weight
>and much more for board presses. I was told it looked like I misgrooved it
>and that is probably the reason it didn't go. I'm confident I'll get this
>real soon.
>
>Deadlifts were not up to par. I opened with 525 which is pretty easy for me.
>Next I went for 585 for a PR. It flew off the floor and then stopped a few
>inches above my knees. I could not push my hips through to lock it out.
>Hindsight being 20/20, I should have taken 565 for a 10lb meet PR total of
>1510. Even 575 would have gone, thats how close the 585 felt. Ah well! I did
>my 580 PR at a push pull, and I should remember that a push pull is a much
>easier meet for your deadlift. Next time I will think this through better.
>
>All in all, it was an OK meet, even with only hitting my dead opener i got
>1470 for my total. I never expect to go 9/9 so that doesn't concern me, but
>I have to stay disciplined with my squat and bench grooves in order to be
>able to hit the numbers I want on all my attempts.

Sounds like a good meet to me, Dan. Nice lifting!

Keith Hobman
September 14th 04, 03:58 AM
In article >, "DanL"
> wrote:

> I had a good and bad meet on Sunday. Good- I hit 2 PRs and came real close
> to another (which would have also given me a PR for my total too). Bad- I
> went 5/9 and had a disappointing deadlift day. Choosing my attempts a little
> more carefully in the future will be key for me.
>
> Squats I set a 10lb PR. I took 500 for an opener, no problem there. 560 for
> a 2nd- I got way too deep and struggled keeping the groove on the way up. I
> fought it but just as I thought I had it under control, I lost my balance
> and took a step, so no lift. I did it again on my 3rd, watched my depth,
> tightened my belt a notch, and did it with authority, like I should have the
> 1st time. So, I didn't get to go for my goal in the 580 range, but a 10lb PR
> is fine.
>
> Bench, 350 opener, easy. 385 for my 2nd, which would be a PR. I nailed it.
> Someone told me that should have been my opener it looked so easy. I tried
> 400 for my 3rd. It felt like it was going ok but I hit a wall at lockout, I
> just could not push it up. This was strange because I've worked this weight
> and much more for board presses. I was told it looked like I misgrooved it
> and that is probably the reason it didn't go. I'm confident I'll get this
> real soon.
>
> Deadlifts were not up to par. I opened with 525 which is pretty easy for me.
> Next I went for 585 for a PR. It flew off the floor and then stopped a few
> inches above my knees. I could not push my hips through to lock it out.
> Hindsight being 20/20, I should have taken 565 for a 10lb meet PR total of
> 1510. Even 575 would have gone, thats how close the 585 felt. Ah well! I did
> my 580 PR at a push pull, and I should remember that a push pull is a much
> easier meet for your deadlift. Next time I will think this through better.
>
> All in all, it was an OK meet, even with only hitting my dead opener i got
> 1470 for my total. I never expect to go 9/9 so that doesn't concern me, but
> I have to stay disciplined with my squat and bench grooves in order to be
> able to hit the numbers I want on all my attempts.

Good lifting, Dan!