PDA

View Full Version : any realworld difference between 2 big meals and 4 small meals?

freddy
September 14th 04, 04:43 PM
I am looking for some advice on the following:

for various reasons I tend to end up eating 2 big meals during the day, 1 at
about 1pm ish and another at about 9pm ish.

I also have a pint of milk (whole) for breakfast.

I keep being told by friends and family that it is better(?) to have more
frequent smaller meals, as having 2 big meals will make my body store them
as fat!

I don't know anything about this sort of stuff, but my gut feeling is that
assuming there is no calorie difference between the 2 regimes, it shouldn't
make that much difference. afterall didn't we evolve to eat when we could
and not really at set times?

thanks for any advice.

Lyle McDonald
September 14th 04, 05:20 PM
freddy wrote:
> I am looking for some advice on the following:
>
> for various reasons I tend to end up eating 2 big meals during the day, 1 at
> about 1pm ish and another at about 9pm ish.
>
> I also have a pint of milk (whole) for breakfast.
>
> I keep being told by friends and family that it is better(?) to have more
> frequent smaller meals, as having 2 big meals will make my body store them
> as fat!
>
> I don't know anything about this sort of stuff, but my gut feeling is that
> assuming there is no calorie difference between the 2 regimes, it shouldn't
> make that much difference. afterall didn't we evolve to eat when we could
> and not really at set times?
>
> thanks for any advice.

Most of the research on this topic has shown that, for a fixed caloric
intake, the timing or number of meals isn't that important.

That said, google is your friend

http://tinyurl.com/683q9

Lyle

Steve Freides
September 14th 04, 06:04 PM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
> freddy wrote:
>> I am looking for some advice on the following:
>>
>> for various reasons I tend to end up eating 2 big meals during the
>> day, 1 at
>> about 1pm ish and another at about 9pm ish.
>>
>> I also have a pint of milk (whole) for breakfast.
>>
>> I keep being told by friends and family that it is better(?) to have
>> more
>> frequent smaller meals, as having 2 big meals will make my body store
>> them
>> as fat!
>>
>> I don't know anything about this sort of stuff, but my gut feeling is
>> that
>> assuming there is no calorie difference between the 2 regimes, it
>> shouldn't
>> make that much difference. afterall didn't we evolve to eat when we
>> could
>> and not really at set times?
>>
>> thanks for any advice.
>>

> Most of the research on this topic has shown that, for a fixed caloric
> intake, the timing or number of meals isn't that important.
>
> That said, google is your friend
>
> http://tinyurl.com/683q9

My favorite part of this Google search is that, at least for me right
now, every time I run it, I get something called "Grand Hoof, 5 lb." on
the right side of the screen - somehow it "thinks" that this topic is
related to horses and/or pet medicine. Whee!

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Steve Freides
September 14th 04, 06:10 PM
"freddy" > wrote in message
>I am looking for some advice on the following:
>
> for various reasons I tend to end up eating 2 big meals during the
> day, 1 at
> about 1pm ish and another at about 9pm ish.
>
> I also have a pint of milk (whole) for breakfast.
>
> I keep being told by friends and family that it is better(?) to have
> more
> frequent smaller meals, as having 2 big meals will make my body store
> them
> as fat!
>
> I don't know anything about this sort of stuff, but my gut feeling is
> that
> assuming there is no calorie difference between the 2 regimes, it
> shouldn't
> make that much difference. afterall didn't we evolve to eat when we
> could
> and not really at set times?
>
> thanks for any advice.

Everyone's different - I eat according to the recommendations in the
Warrior Diet book, which advocates eating very little all day long and
having a big dinner. Many days I eat nothing except a few vitamins and
some green tea until dinner time. If you look at those of us "warriors"
you'll find we're almost all on the thin side, me included, and it would
not be my recommendation for someone trying to "bulk up" although I have
managed to gain a little muscle and lose a little fat while keeping my
bodyweight the same by eating this way. Eating less often will, if
anything, tend to make you leaner, not fatter, in my humble opinion,
given the same number of calories either way.

Link to the book: http://www.kbnj.com/wd.htm

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

DZ
September 14th 04, 06:17 PM
Steve Freides > wrote:
> Everyone's different - I eat according to the recommendations in the
> Warrior Diet book, which advocates eating very little all day long and
> having a big dinner. Many days I eat nothing except a few vitamins and
> some green tea until dinner time. If you look at those of us "warriors"
> you'll find we're almost all on the thin side, me included, and it would
> not be my recommendation for someone trying to "bulk up" although I have
> managed to gain a little muscle and lose a little fat while keeping my
> bodyweight the same by eating this way. Eating less often will, if
> anything, tend to make you leaner, not fatter, in my humble opinion,
> given the same number of calories either way.
>
> Link to the book: http://www.kbnj.com/wd.htm

From the life-extension perspective, less frequent meals (of the same
total per day) are more beneficial than more frequent ones. But forget
some kooky books. Look for

mattson mp AND dietary restriction
mattson mp AND intermittent fasting

on pubmed, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

DZ

ziggy-wiggy
September 16th 04, 11:28 AM
"freddy" > wrote in message
> I am looking for some advice on the following:
>
> for various reasons I tend to end up eating 2 big meals during the day, 1
at
> about 1pm ish and another at about 9pm ish.
>
> I also have a pint of milk (whole) for breakfast.
>
> I keep being told by friends and family that it is better(?) to have more
> frequent smaller meals, as having 2 big meals will make my body store them
> as fat!
>
> I don't know anything about this sort of stuff, but my gut feeling is that
> assuming there is no calorie difference between the 2 regimes, it
shouldn't
> make that much difference. afterall didn't we evolve to eat when we could
> and not really at set times?

If you eat small meals throughout the day, you are keeping your blood sugar
levels pretty much constant, wheras two big meals means your system is going
to get two big insulin spikes and therefore you are going to feel bloated
and listless.

Hugh Beyer
September 16th 04, 02:16 PM
"ziggy-wiggy" > wrote in
:

> "freddy" > wrote in message
>> I am looking for some advice on the following:
>>
>> for various reasons I tend to end up eating 2 big meals during the day,
>> 1 at about 1pm ish and another at about 9pm ish.
>>
>> I also have a pint of milk (whole) for breakfast.
>>
>> I keep being told by friends and family that it is better(?) to have
>> more frequent smaller meals, as having 2 big meals will make my body
>> store them as fat!
>>
>> I don't know anything about this sort of stuff, but my gut feeling is
>> that assuming there is no calorie difference between the 2 regimes, it
>> shouldn't make that much difference. afterall didn't we evolve to eat
>> when we could and not really at set times?
>

> If you eat small meals throughout the day, you are keeping your blood
> sugar levels pretty much constant, wheras two big meals means your
> system is going to get two big insulin spikes and therefore you are
> going to feel bloated and listless.

....if you're the kind of person who feels bloated and listless after two big
meals. Otherwise not.

The metabolic difference between 2 big and 4 small meals, according to
resident experts, is down in the noise for most people. If you're a
bodybuilder preparing for a contest it may matter; otherwise, do what works
for you.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

bc
September 16th 04, 06:53 PM
Hugh Beyer > wrote in message >...
> "ziggy-wiggy" > wrote in
> :
>
> > "freddy" > wrote in message
> >> I am looking for some advice on the following:
> >>
> >> for various reasons I tend to end up eating 2 big meals during the day,
> >> 1 at about 1pm ish and another at about 9pm ish.
> >>
> >> I also have a pint of milk (whole) for breakfast.
> >>
> >> I keep being told by friends and family that it is better(?) to have
> >> more frequent smaller meals, as having 2 big meals will make my body
> >> store them as fat!
> >>
> >> I don't know anything about this sort of stuff, but my gut feeling is
> >> that assuming there is no calorie difference between the 2 regimes, it
> >> shouldn't make that much difference. afterall didn't we evolve to eat
> >> when we could and not really at set times?
> >

> > If you eat small meals throughout the day, you are keeping your blood
> > sugar levels pretty much constant, wheras two big meals means your
> > system is going to get two big insulin spikes and therefore you are
> > going to feel bloated and listless.
> >

> ...if you're the kind of person who feels bloated and listless after two big
> meals. Otherwise not.
>
> The metabolic difference between 2 big and 4 small meals, according to
> resident experts, is down in the noise for most people. If you're a
> bodybuilder preparing for a contest it may matter; otherwise, do what works
> for you.
>
> Hugh

Somewhere recently, (sorry, I don't have a reference, but I'll look),
I saw an article citing a study which suggested that maintaining a
caloric balance of +/- 500 cals throughout the day had some health
benefit. But, dang it, I can't even remember the benefit. Shoot,
I'll go home and look tonight if I can remember. It may have been in
a magazine I have lying around.

- bc (pretty much just posted nothing didn't I?)