PDA

View Full Version : deadlifts - have to drop the bar?


weaklingX
September 14th 04, 08:27 PM
I'm burnt out on squats and would like to switch to deadlifts for a
while. The reason I've not been doing them is that I read that you
should always drop the bar on the way down, and I live in an
apartment. Is it true that not dropping it is bad? Or is it only bad
if you're lifting near or at max?

thanks

Jeff Finlayson
September 14th 04, 09:40 PM
weaklingX wrote:

> I'm burnt out on squats and would like to switch to deadlifts for a
> while. The reason I've not been doing them is that I read that you
> should always drop the bar on the way down,

No, you should NOT 'always drop the bar on the way down'.
Lowering the bar slowly is not required though.

> and I live in an apartment. Is it true that not dropping it is bad?
> Or is it only bad if you're lifting near or at max?
> thanks

Do you really need to do 1 rep maxes?

Roger Zoul
September 14th 04, 10:24 PM
weaklingX wrote:
|| I'm burnt out on squats and would like to switch to deadlifts for a
|| while. The reason I've not been doing them is that I read that you
|| should always drop the bar on the way down, and I live in an
|| apartment. Is it true that not dropping it is bad? Or is it only
|| bad if you're lifting near or at max?
||

Maybe you should skip the deadlifts.

John Hanson
September 15th 04, 01:38 AM
On 14 Sep 2004 12:27:08 -0700, (weaklingX) wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>I'm burnt out on squats and would like to switch to deadlifts for a
>while. The reason I've not been doing them is that I read that you
>should always drop the bar on the way down, and I live in an
>apartment. Is it true that not dropping it is bad? Or is it only bad
>if you're lifting near or at max?
>
Apartment, eh? I would definitely slam the bar down with great
authority in that case. Does you apartment have underground parking?

bc
September 15th 04, 05:37 PM
John Hanson > wrote in message >...
> On 14 Sep 2004 12:27:08 -0700, (weaklingX) wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >I'm burnt out on squats and would like to switch to deadlifts for a
> >while. The reason I've not been doing them is that I read that you
> >should always drop the bar on the way down, and I live in an
> >apartment. Is it true that not dropping it is bad? Or is it only bad
> >if you're lifting near or at max?
> >
> Apartment, eh? I would definitely slam the bar down with great
> authority in that case. Does you apartment have underground parking?

I never drop the bar, but I don't do 1rm's either.

I liked the add that showed during the olympics where the guy drops a
mega-loaded bar and it punches through the floor and onto a car in the
garage some floor(s) below. Anyone know who that lifter was? He had
the little funny beard tied in a pony tail holder.

- bc

John Hanson
September 15th 04, 09:47 PM
On 15 Sep 2004 09:37:50 -0700, (bc) wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson > wrote in message >...
>> On 14 Sep 2004 12:27:08 -0700, (weaklingX) wrote
>> in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>> >I'm burnt out on squats and would like to switch to deadlifts for a
>> >while. The reason I've not been doing them is that I read that you
>> >should always drop the bar on the way down, and I live in an
>> >apartment. Is it true that not dropping it is bad? Or is it only bad
>> >if you're lifting near or at max?
>> >
>> Apartment, eh? I would definitely slam the bar down with great
>> authority in that case. Does you apartment have underground parking?
>
>I never drop the bar, but I don't do 1rm's either.
>
>I liked the add that showed during the olympics where the guy drops a
>mega-loaded bar and it punches through the floor and onto a car in the
>garage some floor(s) below. Anyone know who that lifter was? He had
>the little funny beard tied in a pony tail holder.
>
Shane Hamman

weaklingX
September 16th 04, 05:35 PM
Jeff Finlayson > wrote in message >...
> weaklingX wrote:
>
> > I'm burnt out on squats and would like to switch to deadlifts for a
> > while. The reason I've not been doing them is that I read that you
> > should always drop the bar on the way down,
>
> No, you should NOT 'always drop the bar on the way down'.
> Lowering the bar slowly is not required though.
>
> > and I live in an apartment. Is it true that not dropping it is bad?
> > Or is it only bad if you're lifting near or at max?
> > thanks
>
> Do you really need to do 1 rep maxes?

I don't plan on it. I was just wondering at what point, if at all, is
it unsafe to slowly lower to weight. For example, would it be a bad
idea to do it on one's last week of 5's in an HST cycle? Or is it
fine as long as good form is maintained?

weaklingX
September 16th 04, 05:38 PM
"Roger Zoul" > wrote in message >...
> weaklingX wrote:
> || I'm burnt out on squats and would like to switch to deadlifts for a
> || while. The reason I've not been doing them is that I read that you
> || should always drop the bar on the way down, and I live in an
> || apartment. Is it true that not dropping it is bad? Or is it only
> || bad if you're lifting near or at max?
> ||
>
> Maybe you should skip the deadlifts.

Because it is a dumb question? Or do i just ask it in a moronic
fashion? Either way, I apologize for my stupidity, and I'll try to do
better next time.

Hugh Beyer
September 16th 04, 06:52 PM
(weaklingX) wrote in
om:

> "Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
> >...
>> weaklingX wrote:
>> || I'm burnt out on squats and would like to switch to deadlifts for a
>> || while. The reason I've not been doing them is that I read that you
>> || should always drop the bar on the way down, and I live in an
>> || apartment. Is it true that not dropping it is bad? Or is it only
>> || bad if you're lifting near or at max?
>> ||
>>
>> Maybe you should skip the deadlifts.
>
> Because it is a dumb question? Or do i just ask it in a moronic
> fashion? Either way, I apologize for my stupidity, and I'll try to do
> better next time.
>

It is highly probable that your deadlifts are going to make noise however
much you try to avoid it. (When I take video of mine, there's always a
quiver in the frame when the DL hits bottom.) The people below you are
probably gonna hear them.

Hugh


--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Jeff Finlayson
September 16th 04, 08:03 PM
weaklingX wrote:
> Jeff Finlayson wrote:
>>weaklingX wrote:
>>
>>>I'm burnt out on squats and would like to switch to deadlifts for a
>>>while. The reason I've not been doing them is that I read that you
>>>should always drop the bar on the way down,
>>
>>No, you should NOT 'always drop the bar on the way down'.
>>Lowering the bar slowly is not required though.
>>
>>>and I live in an apartment. Is it true that not dropping it is bad?
>>>Or is it only bad if you're lifting near or at max? thanks
>>
>>Do you really need to do 1 rep maxes?
>
> I don't plan on it. I was just wondering at what point, if at all, is
> it unsafe to slowly lower to weight. For example, would it be a bad
> idea to do it on one's last week of 5's in an HST cycle? Or is it
> fine as long as good form is maintained?

Your last statement. It's safe as long as your form stays good.
Lower hips with bar and don't round your back. Pretty much reverse
the up part of the lift. However, having to lower the bar slowly
will require you use less weight. Also lowering slow may give you
some serious back DOMS (soreness). Be prepared. Start light and
add weight incrementally each week or so.