PDA

View Full Version : Importance of protein

Robert
September 15th 04, 03:57 AM
People on this newsgroup often suggest eating 1 gram of protein per lb
lbm every day. This number is well above the daily recommended minimum.
As a justification people point to studies showing that elite athletes
benefit from the additional protein. Are there any studies showing that
this is also the case for beginners and intermediate level athletes?
I've got a limited budget right now and getting calories from carbs is
cheaper than getting them from protein.

John M. Williams
September 15th 04, 04:28 AM
Robert > wrote:

>People on this newsgroup often suggest eating 1 gram of protein per lb
>lbm every day. This number is well above the daily recommended minimum.
> As a justification people point to studies showing that elite athletes
>benefit from the additional protein. Are there any studies showing that
>this is also the case for beginners and intermediate level athletes?
>I've got a limited budget right now and getting calories from carbs is
>cheaper than getting them from protein.

It isn't as much about calories as it is maintaining a pool of
essential amino acids for muscle protein accretion.

Lyle McDonald
September 15th 04, 04:49 AM
Robert wrote:

> People on this newsgroup often suggest eating 1 gram of protein per lb
> lbm every day. This number is well above the daily recommended minimum.
> As a justification people point to studies showing that elite athletes
> benefit from the additional protein. Are there any studies showing that
> this is also the case for beginners and intermediate level athletes?
> I've got a limited budget right now and getting calories from carbs is
> cheaper than getting them from protein.

As it turns out, beginning exercises may actually need more protein than
advanced, as beginners tend to be causing more muscle damage.

That said, 0.8 g/lb of lean body mass is sufficient.

Lyle

Steve Freides
September 15th 04, 02:39 PM
"Robert" > wrote in message
> People on this newsgroup often suggest eating 1 gram of protein per lb
> lbm every day. This number is well above the daily recommended
> minimum. As a justification people point to studies showing that elite
> athletes benefit from the additional protein. Are there any studies
> showing that this is also the case for beginners and intermediate
> level athletes? I've got a limited budget right now and getting
> calories from carbs is cheaper than getting them from protein.

The RDA, not that it's any sort of Bible, of course, is 63 grams for a
175 lb. adult male. It's all just so many numbers but 1 gram per pound
of bodyweight is almost 3 times that. A lot probably depends on what
sort of athletics you do For me, someone who strength trains, also
does some endurance training, and isn't interested in gaining any muscle
size, 1 gram per kilogram of bodyweight, which is about 25% more than
the RDA, works as a guideline.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Jake
September 15th 04, 05:24 PM
Robert > wrote in message >...
> People on this newsgroup often suggest eating 1 gram of protein per lb
> lbm every day. This number is well above the daily recommended minimum.
> As a justification people point to studies showing that elite athletes
> benefit from the additional protein. Are there any studies showing that
> this is also the case for beginners and intermediate level athletes?
> I've got a limited budget right now and getting calories from carbs is
> cheaper than getting them from protein.

Well, studies seem to indicate that for adding or maintaining muscle
or strength protein is quite important. I've never experimented with
low protein intakes, some people in various forums claim to have
success with a lot less than 1 g per lb of lbm, so hey try it out and
get back to us.

However, what are your goals? If you are trying to add size then
peanut butter is a very inexpensive protein source and a great source
of calories (teddy's natural here in boston has 120 grams per jar and
costs about $2.50).

I've also found that if I look through the circulars I can find
boneless skinless chicken breast for 1.89 a lb.

all fwiw i suppose.

Peter Allen
September 15th 04, 10:30 PM
Robert > wrote in message >...
> People on this newsgroup often suggest eating 1 gram of protein per lb
> lbm every day. This number is well above the daily recommended minimum.
> As a justification people point to studies showing that elite athletes
> benefit from the additional protein. Are there any studies showing that
> this is also the case for beginners and intermediate level athletes?
> I've got a limited budget right now and getting calories from carbs is
> cheaper than getting them from protein.

Protein does not just equal meat, and not all meat is that expensive.
Beans and lentils are cheap, for a start.

What're you doing, anyway?

For what it's worth, I found that if I'm not eating enough protein
then a muscle I worked hard yesterday gets little jumpy pains when I'm
out rowing today (this after being stupid with a last three days empty
the gut phase, fortunately in a trial run not before the actual race).

Peter

Robert
September 16th 04, 01:07 AM
Lyle McDonald wrote:
> Robert wrote:
>
>> People on this newsgroup often suggest eating 1 gram of protein per lb
>> lbm every day. This number is well above the daily recommended
>> minimum. As a justification people point to studies showing that
>> elite athletes benefit from the additional protein. Are there any
>> studies showing that this is also the case for beginners and
>> intermediate level athletes? I've got a limited budget right now and
>> getting calories from carbs is cheaper than getting them from protein.
>

> As it turns out, beginning exercises may actually need more protein than
> advanced, as beginners tend to be causing more muscle damage.
>
> That said, 0.8 g/lb of lean body mass is sufficient.
>
> Lyle

That seems a little odd. If a lot of the improvement in lifting ability
is related to the CNS then shouldn't lifting higher weights as a
result of CNS improvement and not muscle growth lead to more muscle damage?

elzinator
September 18th 04, 06:20 AM
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:07:19 -0700, Robert wrote:
>Lyle McDonald wrote:
>> Robert wrote:
>>
>>> People on this newsgroup often suggest eating 1 gram of protein per lb
>>> lbm every day. This number is well above the daily recommended
>>> minimum. As a justification people point to studies showing that
>>> elite athletes benefit from the additional protein. Are there any
>>> studies showing that this is also the case for beginners and
>>> intermediate level athletes? I've got a limited budget right now and
>>> getting calories from carbs is cheaper than getting them from protein.
>>

>> As it turns out, beginning exercises may actually need more protein than
>> advanced, as beginners tend to be causing more muscle damage.
>>
>> That said, 0.8 g/lb of lean body mass is sufficient.
>>
>> Lyle
>>

>That seems a little odd. If a lot of the improvement in lifting ability
> is related to the CNS then shouldn't lifting higher weights as a
>result of CNS improvement and not muscle growth lead to more muscle damage?

No.

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler