PDA

View Full Version : acupuncture for tendonitis

DiscoDuck
September 15th 04, 06:54 AM
I've had a problem in my left shoulder for about 2 years now and was
diagnosed as supraspinatus tendonitis. Surgery is suggested now.
This seems to slowly be creeping into my right shoulder EVEN after a
month off.
Hurt my elbow four months ago; still not better even after much icing
and rest.
Now have planter fasciits (from trying to keep active, I guess).

Anyway I WANT to hear about success stories about acupuncture YOU'VE
had (not that your heard, or read about, or your dog. Just you).

I'm normally cynical about traditional treatments.

Griz
September 15th 04, 08:09 AM
Disco,

I've tried accupuncture for a neck strain, and it really helped the
pain and mobility. The one thing I noticed is that for me at least, the
pain and stiffness came back after about 2 days. Still, better than
nothing.

Some insurance plans cover accupuncture.

--
Griz
Griz's Profile: http://forums.hardgain.com/member.php?userid=1

Wayne S. Hill
September 15th 04, 01:43 PM
DiscoDuck wrote:

> I've had a problem in my left shoulder for about 2 years now
> and was diagnosed as supraspinatus tendonitis. Surgery is
> suggested now.

In this case, it isn't tendinitis anymore. I presume the terms
"partial" or "full thickness tear" have been thrown around? Or
you have a hooked acromion, which indicates you'll keep
inflaming it whatever you do.

> This seems to slowly be creeping into my
> right shoulder EVEN after a month off.

This could have something to do with posture and habits.

--
-Wayne

Stephen Mulholland
September 15th 04, 03:57 PM
(DiscoDuck) wrote in message >...
> I've had a problem in my left shoulder for about 2 years now and was
> diagnosed as supraspinatus tendonitis. Surgery is suggested now.
> This seems to slowly be creeping into my right shoulder EVEN after a
> month off.
> Hurt my elbow four months ago; still not better even after much icing
> and rest.
> Now have planter fasciits (from trying to keep active, I guess).
>
> Anyway I WANT to hear about success stories about acupuncture YOU'VE
> had (not that your heard, or read about, or your dog. Just you).
>
> I'm normally cynical about traditional treatments.

You only want success stories? Hate to disappoint, but...

I tried it for tennis elbow. It was, for me anyway, a waste of money.

I've also suffered from supraspinatus tendonitis. Have you seen a sports physio?

Stephen

DiscoDuck
September 16th 04, 02:29 AM
"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message >...

> This could have something to do with posture and habits.

That has been suggested. I wonder also, too much time at the computer?

DiscoDuck
September 16th 04, 02:33 AM
(Stephen Mulholland) wrote in message >...

> You only want success stories? Hate to disappoint, but...
>
> I tried it for tennis elbow. It was, for me anyway, a waste of money.
>
> I've also suffered from supraspinatus tendonitis. Have you seen a sports physio?
>
> Stephen

Howdy
Yeah, my logic was if I get replies inundating me with such. then I
could be optimistic. But my feeling is similar to yours. I have
doubts. But outside of a few bucks, what more can I lose? It's been
two years. I already cancelled one surgery but am seriously
reconsidering that.
As for a sports physio, no but I am seeing a orthopaedic surgeon
specializing in sports (and shoulders) this Friday.

Stephen Mulholland
September 16th 04, 09:02 AM
(DiscoDuck) wrote in message >...
> (Stephen Mulholland) wrote in message >...
>
> > You only want success stories? Hate to disappoint, but...
> >
> > I tried it for tennis elbow. It was, for me anyway, a waste of money.
> >
> > I've also suffered from supraspinatus tendonitis. Have you seen a sports physio?
> >
> > Stephen
>
> Howdy
> Yeah, my logic was if I get replies inundating me with such. then I
> could be optimistic. But my feeling is similar to yours. I have
> doubts. But outside of a few bucks, what more can I lose? It's been
> two years. I already cancelled one surgery but am seriously
> reconsidering that.
> As for a sports physio, no but I am seeing a orthopaedic surgeon
> specializing in sports (and shoulders) this Friday.

I beseech you, before you allow the cutters in, please, please see a
sports physio, preferably one who is sympathetic to the injuries those
of us who lift weights can inflict on ourselves. You might be amazed
at what can be achieved. Call your local pro football (or basketball
or whatever) team, find out who their physio is, and see if you can
either get a consultation with the physio or have him/her recommend a
physio. If I were in your shoes, I'd spend the money on the physio
consultation rather than the acupuncture. A good physio will be able
to pinpoint (acupuncture pun, there) the root of the problem and may
well be able to treat it successfully. Make a physio consultation a
priority. Don't expect an instant solution - my supraspinatus
tendonitis took quite a few physio sessions to clear up, and it was a
painful enough process at times, but it worked 100%.

Stephen

DiscoDuck
September 16th 04, 10:38 PM
(Stephen Mulholland) wrote in message >...

>Call your local pro football (or basketball
> or whatever) team, find out who their physio is, and see if you can
> either get a consultation with the physio or have him/her recommend a
> physio. If I were in your shoes, I'd spend the money on the physio
> consultation rather than the acupuncture. A good physio will be able
> to pinpoint (acupuncture pun, there) the root of the problem and may
> well be able to treat it successfully. Make a physio consultation a
> priority. Don't expect an instant solution - my supraspinatus
> tendonitis took quite a few physio sessions to clear up, and it was a
> painful enough process at times, but it worked 100%.
>

> Stephen

THAT is one of the best ideas I've heard yet - calling my pro teams
physio. I live near Vancouver. Are the grizzly's still around?
Don't Think so. But the canucks are - or better yet the BC lions. I
know one of the Cheerleaders. I just called her with your idea and
she is going to get back to me about who she can find.

Great idea, thank you. I'll keep you posted (pun intended).
DR

Stephen Mulholland
September 17th 04, 10:23 AM
(DiscoDuck) wrote in message >...
> (Stephen Mulholland) wrote in message >...

> THAT is one of the best ideas I've heard yet - calling my pro teams
> physio. I live near Vancouver. Are the grizzly's still around?
> Don't Think so. But the canucks are - or better yet the BC lions. I
> know one of the Cheerleaders. I just called her with your idea and
> she is going to get back to me about who she can find.
>
> Great idea, thank you. I'll keep you posted (pun intended).
> DR

I really think, in order to further facilitate the healing process,
that we need to know more about the cheerleader.

Stephen

DiscoDuck
September 18th 04, 02:50 AM
(Stephen Mulholland) wrote in message >...

> I really think, in order to further facilitate the healing process,
> that we need to know more about the cheerleader.
>
> Stephen

God, of course. What was I thinking? I won't ell you which one, but
she is one of these girls http://bclions.com/meetfelions.php

On to less interesting things, I saw the surgeon (and happen to be
with the appointment I had anyway - minor miracle). I am scheduled to
have a subacromial decompression a Monday the 27th. I feel fortunate
to get in so soon (young practice). But still worried it won't work.
HE did suggest there is a VERY strong possibility my heavy lifting
days are over but I should be healthy and strong again.

New diagnosis, he also thinks I have a slap tear which hasn't been
picked up before.

Stephen, are you doctor? You seem very well informed.

Stephen Mulholland
September 18th 04, 11:01 AM
"DiscoDuck" > wrote in message
om...
> (Stephen Mulholland) wrote in message
>
> > I really think, in order to further facilitate the healing process,
> > that we need to know more about the cheerleader.
> >
> > Stephen
>
> God, of course. What was I thinking? I won't ell you which one, but
> she is one of these girls http://bclions.com/meetfelions.php
>
> On to less interesting things, I saw the surgeon (and happen to be
> with the appointment I had anyway - minor miracle). I am scheduled to
> have a subacromial decompression a Monday the 27th. I feel fortunate
> to get in so soon (young practice). But still worried it won't work.
> HE did suggest there is a VERY strong possibility my heavy lifting
> days are over but I should be healthy and strong again.
>
> New diagnosis, he also thinks I have a slap tear which hasn't been
> picked up before.
>
> Stephen, are you doctor? You seem very well informed.

No, not at all, I've no medical training whatsoever. I have, however, hurt
myself more than once, and learned bits and pieces along the way.

Stephen

---

Lee Michaels
September 18th 04, 06:01 PM
"Stephen Mulholland" wrote

> No, not at all, I've no medical training whatsoever. I have, however,
hurt
> myself more than once, and learned bits and pieces along the way.

Including how to remodel kitchen doors with just a well conditioned foot.!!

DiscoDuck
September 19th 04, 05:40 AM
(Stephen Mulholland) wrote in message >...

> I beseech you, before you allow the cutters in, please, please see a
> sports physio, preferably one who is sympathetic...

Stephen, do I now have your permission to get the surgery since I went
to the place that was suggested by the pro-team, and the doctor
seemed to think this was a logical step?

There is another Stephen Mulholland on the net who is a surgeon, thus
my question about medical training.

Stephen Mulholland
September 19th 04, 12:06 PM
"DiscoDuck" > wrote in message
om...
> (Stephen Mulholland) wrote in message
>
> > I beseech you, before you allow the cutters in, please, please see a
> > sports physio, preferably one who is sympathetic...
>
> Stephen, do I now have your permission to get the surgery since I went
> to the place that was suggested by the pro-team, and the doctor
> seemed to think this was a logical step?

:)

Seems fair!

> There is another Stephen Mulholland on the net who is a surgeon, thus
> my question about medical training.

Ah.

Stephen

---

Seth Breidbart
September 23rd 04, 02:06 AM
In article >,
Stephen Mulholland > wrote:

>I beseech you, before you allow the cutters in, please, please see a
>sports physio, preferably one who is sympathetic to the injuries those
>of us who lift weights can inflict on ourselves.

You might also want to try an ART practitioner.

(One did me a lot of good, but not enough; I ended up needing surgery
anyway. I had a very good surgeon, and within a year was lifting as
heavy as ever.)

Seth
--
Note to self: a powerlifting meet is not a recommended taper
for a track event. --Ted K.