PDA

View Full Version : Question about Dip and Chins

fj
September 15th 04, 05:20 PM
I was studying HST program. In the program, weights and frequecies change
day by day, you know what I'm talking about.

I am wondering what's the better way to use weight doing Dips and Pullups. I
saw people doing pullups holding a dumbbell by feet, looked really awkward.

Thanks

Steve Freides
September 15th 04, 05:31 PM
"fj" > wrote in message
>I was studying HST program. In the program, weights and frequecies
>change
> day by day, you know what I'm talking about.
>
> I am wondering what's the better way to use weight doing Dips and
> Pullups. I
> saw people doing pullups holding a dumbbell by feet, looked really
> awkward.

I know nothing about HST but I do pullups using a dumbbell between my
feet - great exercise, I pull my knees up while pulling my body up, so
you get a bit of hanging leg raise at the same time. Since everyone
complains that pullups are easy for us light guys, I use 10 lbs. of leg
weights plus a 30 lb. dumbbell for my pullups and do sets of 6. (30
lbs. is the heaviest dumbbell in the room I'm in at the Y; that's why
the leg weights. I prefer not to do more than 6 reps of most things and
bw + 40 is about right for me for a few sets of 6 reps.)

That it's awkward is, in this case, good, I think.

Just my opinion, disclaim, disclaim, disclaim, etc., whatnot, whatever.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Hoff
September 15th 04, 05:39 PM
"fj" > wrote in message
> I was studying HST program. In the program, weights and frequecies change
> day by day, you know what I'm talking about.
>
> I am wondering what's the better way to use weight doing Dips and Pullups. I
> saw people doing pullups holding a dumbbell by feet, looked really awkward.
>
> Thanks

Dip belt.

http://www.megafitness.com/usa0114.html

(not an endorsement, just first one I found)

Look around your gym, probably have one lying around somewhere.

Hoff
--
Peanuts!! Get yer Peanuts!!
http://irongarm.org/Files_html_global/peanutgallery2.htm

John HUDSON
September 15th 04, 05:58 PM
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:20:18 -0700, "fj" >
wrote:

>I was studying HST program. In the program, weights and frequecies change
>day by day, you know what I'm talking about.
>
>I am wondering what's the better way to use weight doing Dips and Pullups. I
>saw people doing pullups holding a dumbbell by feet, looked really awkward.

It's not that difficult with a dumbbell, but it's much easier with a
weight belt.

fj
September 15th 04, 06:11 PM
Is it the same weight belt that people use for squat? What are the chains
for?

"Hoff" > wrote in message
> "fj" > wrote in message
> > I was studying HST program. In the program, weights and frequecies
change
> > day by day, you know what I'm talking about.
> >
> > I am wondering what's the better way to use weight doing Dips and
Pullups. I
> > saw people doing pullups holding a dumbbell by feet, looked really
awkward.

> > Thanks
> >

> Dip belt.
>
> http://www.megafitness.com/usa0114.html
>
> (not an endorsement, just first one I found)
>
> Look around your gym, probably have one lying around somewhere.
>
> Hoff
> --
> Peanuts!! Get yer Peanuts!!
> http://irongarm.org/Files_html_global/peanutgallery2.htm

John M. Williams
September 15th 04, 06:13 PM
"Hoff" > wrote:
>"fj" > wrote:
>> I was studying HST program. In the program, weights and frequecies change
>> day by day, you know what I'm talking about.
>>
>> I am wondering what's the better way to use weight doing Dips and Pullups. I
>> saw people doing pullups holding a dumbbell by feet, looked really awkward.
>>
>> Thanks
>
>Dip belt.
>
>http://www.megafitness.com/usa0114.html
>
>(not an endorsement, just first one I found)
>
>Look around your gym, probably have one lying around somewhere.

Some folks will tell you to just use a rope or chain around your
waist, and with a 5- or 10-pound plate, that's OK. With a few
45-pound plates, it will hurt at lot. A dip belt is a better
investment than 90% of the equipment people will try to sell you.

Stephen Mulholland
September 15th 04, 06:15 PM
"fj" > wrote in message
> Is it the same weight belt that people use for squat?

No.

What are the chains
> for?

For hanging a weight plate on to.

Stephen

> "Hoff" > wrote in message
> > "fj" > wrote in message
> > > I was studying HST program. In the program, weights and frequecies
> change
> > > day by day, you know what I'm talking about.
> > >
> > > I am wondering what's the better way to use weight doing Dips and
> Pullups. I
> > > saw people doing pullups holding a dumbbell by feet, looked really
> awkward.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > Dip belt.
> >
> > http://www.megafitness.com/usa0114.html
> >
> > (not an endorsement, just first one I found)
> >
> > Look around your gym, probably have one lying around somewhere.
> >
> > Hoff
> > --
> > Peanuts!! Get yer Peanuts!!
> > http://irongarm.org/Files_html_global/peanutgallery2.htm

---

John M. Williams
September 15th 04, 06:25 PM
"fj" > wrote:

>Is it the same weight belt that people use for squat?

No.

>What are the chains
>for?

The leather (nylon is better) goes around the back of your waist; the
chain hold plates. Here's a tiny video of what it looks like:

http://www.rustyiron.net/wtdip01.rm

Hoff
September 15th 04, 06:27 PM
"John M. Williams" > wrote in message
> "Hoff" > wrote:
> >"fj" > wrote:
> >> I was studying HST program. In the program, weights and frequecies change
> >> day by day, you know what I'm talking about.
> >>
> >> I am wondering what's the better way to use weight doing Dips and Pullups.
> >> saw people doing pullups holding a dumbbell by feet, looked really awkward.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> >Dip belt.
> >
> >http://www.megafitness.com/usa0114.html
> >
> >(not an endorsement, just first one I found)
> >
> >Look around your gym, probably have one lying around somewhere.
>
> Some folks will tell you to just use a rope or chain around your
> waist, and with a 5- or 10-pound plate, that's OK. With a few
> 45-pound plates, it will hurt . at lot. A dip belt is a better
> investment than 90% of the equipment people will try to sell you.

No doubt.

The Gold's I go to during the week doesn't have one that I've found, so I throw
mine into my bag each week.

Hoff
--
Peanuts!! Get yer Peanuts!!
http://irongarm.org/Files_html_global/peanutgallery2.htm

Steve Freides
September 15th 04, 06:36 PM
"DZ" > wrote in message
.. .
> Steve Freides > wrote:
>> "fj" > wrote in message
>>>I was studying HST program. In the program, weights and frequecies
>>>change
>>> day by day, you know what I'm talking about.
>>>
>>> I am wondering what's the better way to use weight doing Dips and
>>> Pullups. I
>>> saw people doing pullups holding a dumbbell by feet, looked really
>>> awkward.
>>
>> I know nothing about HST but I do pullups using a dumbbell between my
>> feet - great exercise, I pull my knees up while pulling my body up,
>> so
>> you get a bit of hanging leg raise at the same time. Since everyone
>> complains that pullups are easy for us light guys, I use 10 lbs. of
>> leg
>> weights plus a 30 lb. dumbbell for my pullups and do sets of 6. (30
>> lbs. is the heaviest dumbbell in the room I'm in at the Y; that's why
>> the leg weights. I prefer not to do more than 6 reps of most things
>> and
>> bw + 40 is about right for me for a few sets of 6 reps.)
>>
>> That it's awkward is, in this case, good, I think.
>
> Steve, you've got to use 16, 24, and 32 kg kettlebells, like other
> tovarishi. But on two 32's and you look like real man.

There's a reason they call it a workout with balls!

If they had kb's at my gym, I'd use them. As it is, I bought them the
30 lb. dumbbell they've got - they had matched pairs up to 25 lbs. Here
you go, a pullup with, well, one ball -
http://www.tacticalstrengthchallenge.com/Image16.jpg

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> DZ

Paul Cassel
September 15th 04, 06:42 PM
John M. Williams wrote:

> Some folks will tell you to just use a rope or chain around your
> waist, and with a 5- or 10-pound plate, that's OK. With a few
> 45-pound plates, it will hurt at lot. A dip belt is a better
> investment than 90% of the equipment people will try to sell you.

By the time anyone is don't chins or dips with several 45's, they'll
have it figured out.

Lee Michaels
September 15th 04, 06:58 PM
"DZ" > wrote

> In Russian gyms they often have a short vertical bar you could put
> plates on:

> __|__
>
> and then hook to the dip belt with the ring that's on top of the
> bar. I miss that thing here in the US.

Some of the more exotic (or prolific) equipment places sell those
weightholders. If you want one, you could always buy one and carry it with
you.

Lee Michaels
September 15th 04, 07:08 PM
"Lee Michaels" wrote

> "DZ" > wrote
> >
> > In Russian gyms they often have a short vertical bar you could put
> > plates on:

> > __|__
> >
> > and then hook to the dip belt with the ring that's on top of the
> > bar. I miss that thing here in the US.
> >
> Some of the more exotic (or prolific) equipment places sell those
> weightholders. If you want one, you could always buy one and carry it with
> you.

http://newyorkbarbells.tv/1100.html

John M. Williams
September 16th 04, 12:48 AM
DZ > wrote:
>John M Williams > wrote:
>>>
>>>Dip belt.
>>>http://www.megafitness.com/usa0114.html
>>>(not an endorsement, just first one I found)
>>>Look around your gym, probably have one lying around somewhere.
>>
>> Some folks will tell you to just use a rope or chain around your
>> waist, and with a 5- or 10-pound plate, that's OK. With a few
>> 45-pound plates, it will hurt at lot. A dip belt is a better
>> investment than 90% of the equipment people will try to sell you.
>
>In Russian gyms they often have a short vertical bar you could put
>plates on:

>__|__
>
>and then hook to the dip belt with the ring that's on top of the
>bar. I miss that thing here in the US.

That might be OK with small plates, but I don't think I would want
anything larger than a ten-pound plate positioned horizontally between
my legs. With plates positioned vertically on the chain, it's a
simple thing to control them with my knees.

Jim
September 16th 04, 01:48 AM
Somewhat OT,but I'm jumping in anyway. I just started concentrated on chins
again. 2 weeks ago I could go 5.
I'm up to 8 now. I do them all. hands facing,hands away and neutral. I
noticed the neutrals aggravate my tennis elbow more than the others. I
should be up to a dozen hands facing in a month. I do dips also...be sure
not to go all the way down.

Jim

Lee Michaels
September 16th 04, 05:20 PM
"Lee Michaels" wrote

> "Lee Michaels" wrote
>
> > "DZ" > wrote
> > >
> > > In Russian gyms they often have a short vertical bar you could put
> > > plates on:

> > > __|__
> > >
> > > and then hook to the dip belt with the ring that's on top of the
> > > bar. I miss that thing here in the US.
> > >
> > Some of the more exotic (or prolific) equipment places sell those
> > weightholders. If you want one, you could always buy one and carry it
with
> > you.
> >

> http://newyorkbarbells.tv/1100.html

Also see;

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/products.asp?dept=9&pagenumber=2

http://www.fractionalplates.com/cgibin/edatcat/PDAstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=9.9

Lee Michaels
September 17th 04, 04:22 AM
"DZ" wrote

> >> http://newyorkbarbells.tv/1100.html
> >>
> > Also see;

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/products.asp?dept=9&pagenumber=2

http://www.fractionalplates.com/cgibin/edatcat/PDAstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=9.9

> Thanks again, this is helpful. "Vertical Lifting Bars" - that's what
> it's called then.

By the PDA crowd anyway. I don't know anybody else who calls them that.

Again, like you pointed out, these used to be quite common years ago. Ihave
seen them a number of times on the oldtimer lat pulley machines. The
weights were just suspended in the air. With a good pulley, this had far
less friction than the more modern design that had weights that slid on
bushings against a guide rod. Not as convenient to load and unload though.

But both PDA and Ironmind are really into old time grip and hand strength
training. These independent weight pegs are very useful for that sort of
thing. Which, I am sure, is the primary reason why they carry them.

Lee Michaels