PDA

View Full Version : What happened to power cages?

DH
September 16th 04, 12:08 AM
I've done almost all of my workouts at universities either as student or
faculty for the last 10 years or so. I'm not huge or anything but I do try
to make my workouts count for the time I'm there. I like powercages. I can
do my bench and squat in there nice and safe without searching for a
spotter.

I can't use the university gym anymore so have been touring other gyms to
get a membership. NONE have powercages and when I ask if they have one they
either look at me cluelessly or just shrug it off. Today, at the place I
ended up signing with, at least knew what one was but said that they "take
up too much room". I pointed out that they don't take up any more than a
squat rack and can be used for many other exercises.

Can someone here, without too much general bitching about gyms, tell me why
the squat rack fell out of favor? To me it seems like you could repace every
bench press station and squat rack with a full power rack and not lose any
functionality and gain a huge amount of options. Plus the chances of someone
hurting themselves and sueing you would be way less than with the
non-powercage options.

DJ Delorie
September 16th 04, 12:26 AM
"DH" > writes:
> NONE have powercages and when I ask if they have one they either
> look at me cluelessly or just shrug it off.

Ours has two squat cages. I've seen them used for pretty much
everything, including (occasionally) squats ;-)

> To me it seems like you could repace every bench press station and
> squat rack with a full power rack and not lose any functionality and
> gain a huge amount of options.

Cost? $655 (bench) vs $1,550 (cage) vs $1,175.00 (squat) for Cybex.

Jeff Finlayson
September 16th 04, 12:47 AM
DH wrote:

[ cut ]
> Can someone here, without too much general bitching about gyms, tell me why
> the squat rack fell out of favor? To me it seems like you could repace every
> bench press station and squat rack with a full power rack and not lose any
> functionality and gain a huge amount of options. Plus the chances of someone
> hurting themselves and sueing you would be way less than with the
> non-powercage options.

Because very few lifters squat and nobody thinks to do other lifts,
like bench press in a cage. :(

Roger Zoul
September 16th 04, 01:16 AM
Jeff Finlayson wrote:
|| DH wrote:
|| [ cut ]
||| Can someone here, without too much general bitching about gyms,
||| tell me why the squat rack fell out of favor? To me it seems like
||| you could repace every bench press station and squat rack with a
||| full power rack and not lose any functionality and gain a huge
||| amount of options. Plus the chances of someone hurting themselves
||| and sueing you would be way less than with the non-powercage
||| options.
|| Because very few lifters squat and nobody thinks to do other lifts,
|| like bench press in a cage. :(

I think this is the main reason....I'm the only one in my gym who does
benches in the cage.

Steve Freides
September 16th 04, 01:42 AM
"DH" > wrote in message
> I've done almost all of my workouts at universities either as student
> or
> faculty for the last 10 years or so. I'm not huge or anything but I do
> try
> to make my workouts count for the time I'm there. I like powercages. I
> can
> do my bench and squat in there nice and safe without searching for a
> spotter.
>
> I can't use the university gym anymore so have been touring other gyms
> get a membership. NONE have powercages and when I ask if they have one
> they
> either look at me cluelessly or just shrug it off. Today, at the place
> ended up signing with, at least knew what one was but said that they
> "take
> up too much room". I pointed out that they don't take up any more than
> squat rack and can be used for many other exercises.
>
> Can someone here, without too much general bitching about gyms, tell
> me why
> the squat rack fell out of favor? To me it seems like you could repace
> every
> bench press station and squat rack with a full power rack and not lose
> any
> functionality and gain a huge amount of options. Plus the chances of
> someone
> hurting themselves and sueing you would be way less than with the
> non-powercage options.

There is hope - at my urging, my YMCA opened the new season last week
with a brand new, industrial strength, tall, rocking' and rolling' power
cage. If you find a gym you like, ask about it.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Dally
September 16th 04, 01:42 AM
DH wrote:

> I've done almost all of my workouts at universities either as student or
> faculty for the last 10 years or so. I'm not huge or anything but I do try
> to make my workouts count for the time I'm there. I like powercages. I can
> do my bench and squat in there nice and safe without searching for a
> spotter.
>
> I can't use the university gym anymore so have been touring other gyms to
> get a membership. NONE have powercages and when I ask if they have one they
> either look at me cluelessly or just shrug it off. Today, at the place I
> ended up signing with, at least knew what one was but said that they "take
> up too much room". I pointed out that they don't take up any more than a
> squat rack and can be used for many other exercises.
>
> Can someone here, without too much general bitching about gyms, tell me why
> the squat rack fell out of favor? To me it seems like you could repace every
> bench press station and squat rack with a full power rack and not lose any
> functionality and gain a huge amount of options. Plus the chances of someone
> hurting themselves and sueing you would be way less than with the
> non-powercage options.

Smith machines are considered "safety" equipment. Our gym doesn't even
seem to understand the concept of using a power cage as safety
equipment. When I complained that not having nuts to hold the standards
made the cage unusable (and hence unsafe) they told me to squat in the
smith machine. (I went out and bought my own nuts. Yes, I bring my nuts
back and forth to the gym. Yes, there's a joke in there.)

The only thing anyone uses our cage for is to put the bar on the outside
pins for upright rows or bicep curls. I'm the only person I've ever,
ever, ever seen squat inside the cage. And I don't do it all that
often, since the cage is only about 18" deep and with standards
installed there's only about 14" of depth for the bar and I occasionally
hit the standards at an angle and kill my back. (So much for safety.)

By the way, they have the power cage labelled "squat rack". One day
they REMOVED the real squat rack leaving this sickly power cage and I've
always wondered if they had any idea what the equipment was actually for.

Dally

Hugh Beyer
September 16th 04, 01:55 AM
"DH" > wrote in
:

> I've done almost all of my workouts at universities either as student or
> faculty for the last 10 years or so. I'm not huge or anything but I do
> try to make my workouts count for the time I'm there. I like powercages.
> I can do my bench and squat in there nice and safe without searching for
> a spotter.
>
> I can't use the university gym anymore so have been touring other gyms
> to get a membership. NONE have powercages and when I ask if they have
> one they either look at me cluelessly or just shrug it off. Today, at
> the place I ended up signing with, at least knew what one was but said
> that they "take up too much room". I pointed out that they don't take up
> any more than a squat rack and can be used for many other exercises.
>
> Can someone here, without too much general bitching about gyms, tell me
> why the squat rack fell out of favor? To me it seems like you could
> repace every bench press station and squat rack with a full power rack
> and not lose any functionality and gain a huge amount of options. Plus
> the chances of someone hurting themselves and sueing you would be way
> less than with the non-powercage options.

Can't help you, can only commiserate.

Just did a tour of gyms around here. Rule seems to be, the nicer the gym the
more fru-fru the equipment. Gold's has a good range of benches, squat racks
and smith machines but no cages. The local "wellness center" has one bench
and one bar and one smith machine. The fugly, no-name, stuck-in-a-quonset-
hut gym has two power racks.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Chris Gilbert
September 16th 04, 01:52 PM
My gym has 1 power cage, but 3 Smith machines.

DRS
September 16th 04, 02:35 PM
"Roger Zoul" > wrote in message

> Jeff Finlayson wrote:

[...]

>>> Because very few lifters squat and nobody thinks to do other lifts,
>>> like bench press in a cage. :(
>
> I think this is the main reason....I'm the only one in my gym who does
> benches in the cage.

My gym has only one cage. I hate people who bench in it. There are several
benches. There's only one cage.

--

"Self-delusion as a coping tool has always been a fairly useful strategy for
me."

Blade
September 16th 04, 05:29 PM
This is why I work out at home. Got my own power cage for squats,
bench presses, and occasionally curls. Sure beats those lame Smith
machines most people at the gym are using...

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:35:39 +1000, "DRS"
> wrote:

>"Roger Zoul" > wrote in message

>> Jeff Finlayson wrote:
>
>[...]
>>
>> I think this is the main reason....I'm the only one in my gym who does
>> benches in the cage.
>
>My gym has only one cage. I hate people who bench in it. There are several
>benches. There's only one cage.

bc
September 16th 04, 06:46 PM
Hugh Beyer > wrote in message >...
> "DH" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I've done almost all of my workouts at universities either as student or
> > faculty for the last 10 years or so. I'm not huge or anything but I do
> > try to make my workouts count for the time I'm there. I like powercages.
> > I can do my bench and squat in there nice and safe without searching for
> > a spotter.
> >
> > I can't use the university gym anymore so have been touring other gyms
> > to get a membership. NONE have powercages and when I ask if they have
> > one they either look at me cluelessly or just shrug it off. Today, at
> > the place I ended up signing with, at least knew what one was but said
> > that they "take up too much room". I pointed out that they don't take up
> > any more than a squat rack and can be used for many other exercises.
> >
> > Can someone here, without too much general bitching about gyms, tell me
> > why the squat rack fell out of favor? To me it seems like you could
> > repace every bench press station and squat rack with a full power rack
> > and not lose any functionality and gain a huge amount of options. Plus
> > the chances of someone hurting themselves and sueing you would be way
> > less than with the non-powercage options.
> >

> Can't help you, can only commiserate.
>
> Just did a tour of gyms around here. Rule seems to be, the nicer the gym the
> more fru-fru the equipment. Gold's has a good range of benches, squat racks
> and smith machines but no cages. The local "wellness center" has one bench
> and one bar and one smith machine. The fugly, no-name, stuck-in-a-quonset-
> hut gym has two power racks.
>
> Hugh

Man! I wish I could find a refernce to a power rack at our local
university which was shown in a picture I saw in the papers some
months ago. The thing looked like something out of Star Wars, with
hugh, rectangular cross-sectioned uprights and arms sticking forward
to support the weight. The width of the beams looked to be 4 or 5
inches at least. It was all painted black and really had an
Empire-derived look to it. Very industrial looking. I've done some
web searches, but haven't turned up anything like it.

- bc

Roger Zoul
September 16th 04, 09:15 PM
DRS wrote:
|| "Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
||| Jeff Finlayson wrote:
|| [...]
||| I think this is the main reason....I'm the only one in my gym who
||| does benches in the cage.
|| My gym has only one cage. I hate people who bench in it. There are
|| several benches. There's only one cage.

Well, I work out at nigth and there is no one using the cage and there are
no spotters around. So I bench in the cage. That is a legitimate use of a
cage. Of course, I only need to use the cage for benching on heavy nights,
and on HST that's only once every two weeks, or every other friday night
when there are even fewer people in the gym. It's too much hassle to bench
in a cage if you don't need to.

Jeff Finlayson
September 17th 04, 03:40 PM
Roger Zoul wrote:
> DRS knee jerked & wrote:
> || "Roger Zoul" wrote
> || [...]

> || My gym has only one cage. I hate people who bench in it. There are
> || several benches. There's only one cage.

Like people benching is a cage happens all the time(??)..

> Well, I work out at nigth and there is no one using the cage and there are
> no spotters around. So I bench in the cage. That is a legitimate use of a
> cage. Of course, I only need to use the cage for benching on heavy nights,
> and on HST that's only once every two weeks, or every other friday night
> when there are even fewer people in the gym. It's too much hassle to bench
> in a cage if you don't need to.

That's a valid use for the cage whether the gym is almost empty or not.