PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch to a split routine?

Rankin Johnson IV
September 16th 04, 03:49 AM
I've been doing a full-body workout for five or six months, squats, assisted
pullups, DB bench presses, straight-leg deadlifts, DB military presses,
bent-over rows, back extensions, and crunches. I'm primarily interested in
losing weight, and I'll focus more on gaining strength when my weight is
where it belongs. I've been going to the gym to lift weights three times a
week, usually with 20-30 minutes of cardio afterward, and with another day
or two of cardio on a Nordic Trac at home.

Would I be better off with a two- or three-day split routine? Or should I
stick with a full-body routine? I doubt I'll be able to get to the gym more
than three days a week, but I can do three days consistently.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

/s/ Rankin Johnson IV

Jim
September 16th 04, 03:57 AM
"Rankin Johnson IV" > wrote in message
news:Fa72d.441368$%[email protected]_s01...
> I've been doing a full-body workout for five or six months, squats,
assisted
> pullups, DB bench presses, straight-leg deadlifts, DB military presses,
> bent-over rows, back extensions, and crunches. I'm primarily interested in
> losing weight, and I'll focus more on gaining strength when my weight is
> where it belongs. I've been going to the gym to lift weights three times a
> week, usually with 20-30 minutes of cardio afterward, and with another day
> or two of cardio on a Nordic Trac at home.
>
> Would I be better off with a two- or three-day split routine? Or should I
> stick with a full-body routine? I doubt I'll be able to get to the gym
more
> than three days a week, but I can do three days consistently.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> /s/ Rankin Johnson IV

I wish I could find the article. I read it today. It said the biggest
mistake novice weightlifters make is not using heavier weights.They continue
with what they are use to.

Jim

Rankin Johnson IV
September 16th 04, 04:03 AM
"Jim" > wrote in message

> "Rankin Johnson IV" > wrote in message
> news:Fa72d.441368$%[email protected]_s01...
> > I've been doing a full-body workout for five or six months, squats,
> assisted
> > pullups, DB bench presses, straight-leg deadlifts, DB military presses,
> > bent-over rows, back extensions, and crunches. I'm primarily interested
in
> > losing weight, and I'll focus more on gaining strength when my weight is
> > where it belongs. I've been going to the gym to lift weights three times
> > week, usually with 20-30 minutes of cardio afterward, and with another
day
> > or two of cardio on a Nordic Trac at home.
> >
> > Would I be better off with a two- or three-day split routine? Or should
> > stick with a full-body routine? I doubt I'll be able to get to the gym
> more
> > than three days a week, but I can do three days consistently.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any advice.
> >
> > /s/ Rankin Johnson IV
> >

> I wish I could find the article. I read it today. It said the biggest
> mistake novice weightlifters make is not using heavier weights.They
continue
> with what they are use to.
>
> Jim

I saw an article that said the same thing, so maybe it was on here. I lift
close to failure, usually one or two sets of 8-12 reps, and moving up in
weight when I can do more than 12 reps. I'm gaining strength steadily, but I
suspect that I'm not eating enough for more significant gains.

Hugh Beyer
September 16th 04, 02:05 PM
"Rankin Johnson IV" > wrote in
news:Fa72d.441368$%[email protected]_s01:

> I've been doing a full-body workout for five or six months, squats,
> assisted pullups, DB bench presses, straight-leg deadlifts, DB military
> presses, bent-over rows, back extensions, and crunches. I'm primarily
> interested in losing weight, and I'll focus more on gaining strength
> when my weight is where it belongs. I've been going to the gym to lift
> weights three times a week, usually with 20-30 minutes of cardio
> afterward, and with another day or two of cardio on a Nordic Trac at
> home.
>
> Would I be better off with a two- or three-day split routine? Or should
> I stick with a full-body routine? I doubt I'll be able to get to the gym
> more than three days a week, but I can do three days consistently.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> /s/ Rankin Johnson IV

No, you're better off as you are, especially if you can't increase the
number of days you're in the gym. A whole-body routine gives your entire
body a training stimulus frequently, so it doesn't decide that it needs
energy and that expensive muscle is a good place to get it.

Routine seems rational too. If you're not losing weight on this, you just
have to eat less.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.