PDA

View Full Version : Re: Tuna!

Jim
September 16th 04, 04:36 AM
"Dot" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
> grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
> student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the cupboards.
> eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
> that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms of
> cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut
butter
> is a bit too fattening no?
>
> Thanks for any input!

I hate tuna. Chicken..2 bucks a pound. Beef is good too.

Jim

Jim
September 16th 04, 04:44 AM
"Ignoramus19552" > wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>, Dot wrote:
> > Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
> > grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
> > student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the
cupboards. I
> > eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
> > that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms
of a
> > cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut
butter
> > is a bit too fattening no?
>
> Chicken legs sell for $0.39 per lb in our grocery store. That's 2.5
> lbs of chicken legs for a dollar. That's basically enough food for the
> day, calorie wise. I would suppose that there is more than 30 g of
> protein in 2.5 lbs of chicken legs. Plus, healthy fats and collagen
> and so on.
>
> For a dollar, you can buy 10 large eggs, that would give you 60 grams
> of protein, 770 calories, and numerous vitamins.
>
> I do not think that tuna is anywhere close to being unbeatable on the
> basis of cents per gram of protein.

Unless you hate tuna...it tastes like my latest redhead. Nasty!

Jim

synecdoche
September 16th 04, 07:09 AM
On 16 Sep 2004 03:40:11 GMT, Ignoramus19552
> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Dot wrote:
>> Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
>> grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
>> student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the cupboards. I
>> eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
>> that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms of a
>> cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut butter
>> is a bit too fattening no?
>
>Chicken legs sell for $0.39 per lb in our grocery store. That's 2.5
>lbs of chicken legs for a dollar. That's basically enough food for the
>day, calorie wise. I would suppose that there is more than 30 g of
>protein in 2.5 lbs of chicken legs. Plus, healthy fats and collagen
>and so on.

Damn, I need to switch to your grocery store! $0.39 a pound?

Here it is something insane (I think it is close to over $10 a
kilogram).

dave

Ed
September 16th 04, 12:50 PM
Milk's bloody cheap and around 35 g protein per litre here where I live
(Germany)...

"Dot" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
> grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
> student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the cupboards.
> I eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
> that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms of
> a cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut
> butter is a bit too fattening no?
>
> Thanks for any input!

September 16th 04, 04:42 PM
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:36:17 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:

>"Dot" > wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
>> grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
>> student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the cupboards.
>> eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
>> that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms of
>> cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut
>butter
>> is a bit too fattening no?
>>
>> Thanks for any input!
>
>I hate tuna.

If you hate tuna, I have just one word for you:

wasabi

Hal

>Chicken..2 bucks a pound. Beef is good too.
>
>Jim

bc
September 16th 04, 06:02 PM
synecdoche > wrote in message >...
> On 16 Sep 2004 03:40:11 GMT, Ignoramus19552
> > wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>, Dot wrote:
> >> Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
> >> grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
> >> student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the cupboards. I
> >> eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
> >> that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms of a
> >> cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut butter
> >> is a bit too fattening no?
> >
> >Chicken legs sell for $0.39 per lb in our grocery store. That's 2.5
> >lbs of chicken legs for a dollar. That's basically enough food for the
> >day, calorie wise. I would suppose that there is more than 30 g of
> >protein in 2.5 lbs of chicken legs. Plus, healthy fats and collagen
> >and so on.
> >

> Damn, I need to switch to your grocery store! $0.39 a pound?
>
> Here it is something insane (I think it is close to over $10 a
> kilogram).
>
> dave

I can get 6 oz cans of chunk light tuna in water at wallmart and kmart
for around $0.39 per can. Each can is 150 cals, 32 g protein. Still
pretty good.

- bc

John Hanson
September 17th 04, 04:24 AM
On 16 Sep 2004 10:02:45 -0700, (bc) wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>synecdoche > wrote in message >...
>> On 16 Sep 2004 03:40:11 GMT, Ignoramus19552
>> > wrote:

>> >Chicken legs sell for $0.39 per lb in our grocery store. That's 2.5
>> >lbs of chicken legs for a dollar. That's basically enough food for the
>> >day, calorie wise. I would suppose that there is more than 30 g of
>> >protein in 2.5 lbs of chicken legs. Plus, healthy fats and collagen
>> >and so on.
>> >

>> Damn, I need to switch to your grocery store! $0.39 a pound?
>>
>> Here it is something insane (I think it is close to over $10 a
>> kilogram).
>>
>> dave
>

>I can get 6 oz cans of chunk light tuna in water at wallmart and kmart
>for around $0.39 per can. Each can is 150 cals, 32 g protein. Still
>pretty good.

I had two of them for breakfast today. Or would that be lunch as it
was around noon.

bain
September 17th 04, 02:40 PM
<<<<SNIP>>> >

>>> Here it is something insane (I think it is close to over $10 a
>>> kilogram).
>>>
>>> dave

$ 10 / Kilo is for top of the line boneless skinless breast.
you can get cheaper utility grade boneless skinless breast around $ 8 / Kilo
legs are about $2 a pound

Dot
September 17th 04, 03:23 PM
"Ignoramus19552" > wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>, Dot wrote:
>> Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
>> grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
>> student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the cupboards.
>> eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
>> that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms of
>> cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut
>> butter
>> is a bit too fattening no?
>
> Chicken legs sell for $0.39 per lb in our grocery store. That's 2.5
> lbs of chicken legs for a dollar. That's basically enough food for the
> day, calorie wise. I would suppose that there is more than 30 g of
> protein in 2.5 lbs of chicken legs. Plus, healthy fats and collagen
> and so on.
>
> For a dollar, you can buy 10 large eggs, that would give you 60 grams
> of protein, 770 calories, and numerous vitamins.
>
> I do not think that tuna is anywhere close to being unbeatable on the
> basis of cents per gram of protein.

What about convenience factor though too! Bring a can with you wherever you
go, along with a can opener. No need for a fridge or freezer.

Proton Soup
September 17th 04, 05:03 PM
On 17 Sep 2004 14:38:27 GMT, Ignoramus474
> wrote:

>In article <KrC2d.33556$%[email protected]>, Dot wrote:
>>>
>>> Chicken legs sell for $0.39 per lb in our grocery store. That's 2.5
>>> lbs of chicken legs for a dollar. That's basically enough food for the
>>> day, calorie wise. I would suppose that there is more than 30 g of
>>> protein in 2.5 lbs of chicken legs. Plus, healthy fats and collagen
>>> and so on.
>>>
>>> For a dollar, you can buy 10 large eggs, that would give you 60 grams
>>> of protein, 770 calories, and numerous vitamins.
>>>
>>> I do not think that tuna is anywhere close to being unbeatable on the
>>> basis of cents per gram of protein.
>>
>> What about convenience factor though too! Bring a can with you wherever you
>> go, along with a can opener. No need for a fridge or freezer.
>
>That's nice, yes... Eggs are pretty portable too. The question was
>about getting protein value for the money though.

A box of 60 eggs costs me about $4.00 locally. That's about $0.011/g
protein. Plus you get other good stuff in the egg in addition to the
protein, so in reality, the protein costs a good deal less than one
penny per gram.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Dot
September 18th 04, 02:14 AM
"Ignoramus474" > wrote in message
> In article >, Proton Soup
> wrote:
>> On 17 Sep 2004 14:38:27 GMT, Ignoramus474
> wrote:

>>>That's nice, yes... Eggs are pretty portable too. The question was
>>>about getting protein value for the money though.
>>
>> A box of 60 eggs costs me about $4.00 locally. That's about $0.011/g
>> protein. Plus you get other good stuff in the egg in addition to the
>> protein, so in reality, the protein costs a good deal less than one
>> penny per gram.
>
> Yep... Eggs are also very versatile. I mostly eat/drink them raw (we
> have our own chicken), but, they can be cooked in a million of tasty,
> easy, healthful ways.

Are the yolks *that* bad for you? Just fatty and high cholesterol levels?
Eating say, four or five eggs every day or two is ok?

Kevin J
September 18th 04, 05:41 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 01:14:56 GMT, "Dot" > wrote:

>"Ignoramus474" > wrote in message
>> In article >, Proton Soup
>> wrote:

>>> A box of 60 eggs costs me about $4.00 locally. That's about $0.011/g
>>> protein. Plus you get other good stuff in the egg in addition to the
>>> protein, so in reality, the protein costs a good deal less than one
>>> penny per gram.
>>
>> Yep... Eggs are also very versatile. I mostly eat/drink them raw (we
>> have our own chicken), but, they can be cooked in a million of tasty,
>> easy, healthful ways.

>Are the yolks *that* bad for you? Just fatty and high cholesterol levels?
>Eating say, four or five eggs every day or two is ok?

In most people, the correlation between dietary cholesterol and serum
cholesterol is actually pretty weak.

Given low serum levels of cholesterol, LDL/HDL, triglycerides I
wouldn't worry too much about the intake of cholesterol from eggs.
I can't speak for your particular situation though - and I am not a
doctor.

--
kj

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
September 18th 04, 09:56 AM
Dot wrote:

> Are the yolks *that* bad for you? Just fatty and high cholesterol levels?
> Eating say, four or five eggs every day or two is ok?

I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that eating JUST the yolks
(like in Hollandaise sauce) is bad, but that the whites of the egg have
something that helps breakdown or somehow neutralize the cholesterol in
the yolks, so if you eat the whole egg, it's not a problem.

Take that as you will. It's morning, so I don't have the energy to try
to research it right now...

Anna

Bob Falooley
September 19th 04, 09:43 PM
"Dot" > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
> grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
> student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the cupboards. I
> eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
> that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms of a
> cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut butter
> is a bit too fattening no?
>
> Thanks for any input!

Sweet, I live for tuna threads.

If you tried you might be able to find cheaper sources of protein, I
don't know, but tuna is pretty damn cheap, and it is good, and you can
do anything you want with it. And its lean which is important if you
are watching your total calories. I don't know where this guy can get
60 eggs for so cheap. Whole chicken is only $1 a pound but you would
have to subtract all the bone and fat out of the weight to do a
protien comparison.

Trust me, you are not as broke as me. Cut when you are poor, bulk
when you graduate and get paid.

I wouldn't worry about mercury, that is supposed to be more prevelant
in big fish, not the small tuna that they put in the cans.

Only 10 cans in your cupboard, thats weak. I have 10 cans in my
backpack. I like the security of know ing I will never have to miss a
meal, plus it adds weight on bike rides.

--Falooley

Proton Soup
September 19th 04, 10:50 PM
On 19 Sep 2004 13:43:53 -0700, (Bob Falooley)
wrote:

>"Dot" > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
>> grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
>> student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the cupboards. I
>> eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
>> that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms of a
>> cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut butter
>> is a bit too fattening no?
>>
>> Thanks for any input!
>
>Sweet, I live for tuna threads.

Lucky you.

>If you tried you might be able to find cheaper sources of protein, I
>don't know, but tuna is pretty damn cheap, and it is good, and you can
>do anything you want with it. And its lean which is important if you
>are watching your total calories. I don't know where this guy can get
>60 eggs for so cheap.

AL, although, it appears they may have been shipped form OK or TX.
Don't know if you'd find eggs that cheap in those states. Could be
that supply/demand pressure here is part of the reason. Chicken
houses dot the landscape here.

>Whole chicken is only $1 a pound but you would
>have to subtract all the bone and fat out of the weight to do a
>protien comparison.
>
>Trust me, you are not as broke as me. Cut when you are poor, bulk
>when you graduate and get paid.
>
>I wouldn't worry about mercury, that is supposed to be more prevelant
>in big fish, not the small tuna that they put in the cans.
>
>Only 10 cans in your cupboard, thats weak. I have 10 cans in my
>backpack. I like the security of know ing I will never have to miss a
>meal, plus it adds weight on bike rides.

Dang, you really are hardcore albacore. Should we start calling you
Johnny Tunafeed?

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Richard Smith
September 20th 04, 11:53 PM
"Jim" > wrote in message

> "Ignoramus19552" > wrote in message
> > In article <[email protected]>, Dot wrote:
> > > Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean,
30
> > > grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a
starving
> > > student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the
> cupboards. I
> > > eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the
mercury
> > > that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms
> of a
> > > cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut
> butter
> > > is a bit too fattening no?
> >
> > Chicken legs sell for $0.39 per lb in our grocery store. That's 2.5
> > lbs of chicken legs for a dollar. That's basically enough food for the
> > day, calorie wise. I would suppose that there is more than 30 g of
> > protein in 2.5 lbs of chicken legs. Plus, healthy fats and collagen
> > and so on.
> >
> > For a dollar, you can buy 10 large eggs, that would give you 60 grams
> > of protein, 770 calories, and numerous vitamins.
> >
> > I do not think that tuna is anywhere close to being unbeatable on the
> > basis of cents per gram of protein.

> Unless you hate tuna...it tastes like my latest redhead. Nasty!
>
> Jim

So tell her to use soap.

Jeesh dude.

I'm married to a redhead and she's real close to salmon steak.