PDA

View Full Version : Workout schedule questions

synecdoche
September 16th 04, 07:14 AM
I work out at the gym at my university. During the summer, it was
great-- most of the other students were away, so it was rarely, if
ever, busy. I never had to wait for any equipment. However, now that
school has started again, it is busy everytime I have gone in.

Anyway, I am trying to revise my schedule due to this (and also to
work around my current class schedule) and weekend mornings are
looking pretty good.

I alternate days of cardio and weights (full body), and what I was
thinking of doing was going on Friday to Monday and then Wednesday,
and leaving Tuesday and Thursdays as my off day.

Is there any detrimental effect to having my off days spread out a bit
like that, as opposed to taking Saturdays and Sundays off as I used to
do? Sorry if this is a fairly basic question, but I've been enjoying
some pleasing (for me) results from my previous schedule and am
worried about messing things up. I'm new to doing this stuff
properly. :)

-dave

Hugh Beyer
September 16th 04, 02:08 PM
synecdoche > wrote in
:

> I work out at the gym at my university. During the summer, it was
> great-- most of the other students were away, so it was rarely, if
> ever, busy. I never had to wait for any equipment. However, now that
> school has started again, it is busy everytime I have gone in.
>
> Anyway, I am trying to revise my schedule due to this (and also to
> work around my current class schedule) and weekend mornings are
> looking pretty good.
>
> I alternate days of cardio and weights (full body), and what I was
> thinking of doing was going on Friday to Monday and then Wednesday,
> and leaving Tuesday and Thursdays as my off day.
>
> Is there any detrimental effect to having my off days spread out a bit
> like that, as opposed to taking Saturdays and Sundays off as I used to
> do? Sorry if this is a fairly basic question, but I've been enjoying
> some pleasing (for me) results from my previous schedule and am
> worried about messing things up. I'm new to doing this stuff
> properly. :)

Do it.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

DRS
September 16th 04, 02:44 PM
"synecdoche" > wrote in message

> I work out at the gym at my university. During the summer, it was
> great-- most of the other students were away, so it was rarely, if
> ever, busy. I never had to wait for any equipment. However, now that
> school has started again, it is busy everytime I have gone in.
>
> Anyway, I am trying to revise my schedule due to this (and also to
> work around my current class schedule) and weekend mornings are
> looking pretty good.
>
> I alternate days of cardio and weights (full body), and what I was
> thinking of doing was going on Friday to Monday and then Wednesday,
> and leaving Tuesday and Thursdays as my off day.
>
> Is there any detrimental effect to having my off days spread out a bit
> like that, as opposed to taking Saturdays and Sundays off as I used to
> do? Sorry if this is a fairly basic question, but I've been enjoying
> some pleasing (for me) results from my previous schedule and am
> worried about messing things up. I'm new to doing this stuff
> properly. :)

Rule of thumb: you need at least one recovery day but not more than five
recovery days between workouts. Less than one day is insufficient and five
days is about when your muscles start detraining. So, whilst M-W-F is
arguably the most common schedule it's not cast in stone that you must use
it.

--

"Self-delusion as a coping tool has always been a fairly useful strategy for
me."

bc
September 16th 04, 05:59 PM
synecdoche > wrote in message >...
> I work out at the gym at my university. During the summer, it was
> great-- most of the other students were away, so it was rarely, if
> ever, busy. I never had to wait for any equipment. However, now that
> school has started again, it is busy everytime I have gone in.
>
> Anyway, I am trying to revise my schedule due to this (and also to
> work around my current class schedule) and weekend mornings are
> looking pretty good.
>
> I alternate days of cardio and weights (full body), and what I was
> thinking of doing was going on Friday to Monday and then Wednesday,
> and leaving Tuesday and Thursdays as my off day.
>
> Is there any detrimental effect to having my off days spread out a bit
> like that, as opposed to taking Saturdays and Sundays off as I used to
> do? Sorry if this is a fairly basic question, but I've been enjoying
> some pleasing (for me) results from my previous schedule and am
> worried about messing things up. I'm new to doing this stuff
> properly. :)
>
> -dave

No.

- bc

DRS
September 16th 04, 06:22 PM
"bc" > wrote in message
om
> synecdoche > wrote in message
>> I work out at the gym at my university. During the summer, it was
>> great-- most of the other students were away, so it was rarely, if
>> ever, busy. I never had to wait for any equipment. However, now
>> that school has started again, it is busy everytime I have gone in.
>>
>> Anyway, I am trying to revise my schedule due to this (and also to
>> work around my current class schedule) and weekend mornings are
>> looking pretty good.
>>
>> I alternate days of cardio and weights (full body), and what I was
>> thinking of doing was going on Friday to Monday and then Wednesday,
>> and leaving Tuesday and Thursdays as my off day.
>>
>> Is there any detrimental effect to having my off days spread out a
>> bit like that, as opposed to taking Saturdays and Sundays off as I
>> used to do? Sorry if this is a fairly basic question, but I've been
>> enjoying some pleasing (for me) results from my previous schedule
>> and am worried about messing things up. I'm new to doing this stuff
>> properly. :)
>>
>> -dave
>
> No.

Why?

--

"Self-delusion as a coping tool has always been a fairly useful strategy for
me."
Dally

fj
September 17th 04, 01:08 AM
"synecdoche" > wrote in message
> I work out at the gym at my university. During the summer, it was
> great-- most of the other students were away, so it was rarely, if
> ever, busy. I never had to wait for any equipment. However, now that
> school has started again, it is busy everytime I have gone in.

Me too. Gym is especially busy in the late afternoon. Now I get up at
6:30am, so far so good.

> Anyway, I am trying to revise my schedule due to this (and also to
> work around my current class schedule) and weekend mornings are
> looking pretty good.
>
> I alternate days of cardio and weights (full body), and what I was
> thinking of doing was going on Friday to Monday and then Wednesday,
> and leaving Tuesday and Thursdays as my off day.
>
> Is there any detrimental effect to having my off days spread out a bit
> like that, as opposed to taking Saturdays and Sundays off as I used to
> do? Sorry if this is a fairly basic question, but I've been enjoying
> some pleasing (for me) results from my previous schedule and am
> worried about messing things up. I'm new to doing this stuff
> properly. :)
>
> -dave

bc
September 17th 04, 05:57 PM
"DRS" > wrote in message >...
> "bc" > wrote in message
> om
> > synecdoche > wrote in message
> >> I work out at the gym at my university. During the summer, it was
> >> great-- most of the other students were away, so it was rarely, if
> >> ever, busy. I never had to wait for any equipment. However, now
> >> that school has started again, it is busy everytime I have gone in.
> >>
> >> Anyway, I am trying to revise my schedule due to this (and also to
> >> work around my current class schedule) and weekend mornings are
> >> looking pretty good.
> >>
> >> I alternate days of cardio and weights (full body), and what I was
> >> thinking of doing was going on Friday to Monday and then Wednesday,
> >> and leaving Tuesday and Thursdays as my off day.
> >>
> >> Is there any detrimental effect to having my off days spread out a
> >> bit like that, as opposed to taking Saturdays and Sundays off as I
> >> used to do? Sorry if this is a fairly basic question, but I've been
> >> enjoying some pleasing (for me) results from my previous schedule
> >> and am worried about messing things up. I'm new to doing this stuff
> >> properly. :)
> >>
> >> -dave
> >
> > No.
>
> Why?

You know, ya got me. I had a jillion ASSumptions built into that
reply and fired it off.

I should probably have said 'it depends' - $ to Lyle. Without knowing
goals and training volumes, my answer is premature.

I can think of some scenarios where it won't make much difference:
- Since the OP is alternating days of cardio and weights, one might
assume that he is not training for maximum muscle gains, meaning he
could manage with a shorter recovery period.
- If the OP's cardio is an activity that is not too taxing on the
larger muscle groups, then he may not be overstressing those muscles.
For example, if he is a squatter, but his cardio is swimming, those
quads and glutes will get more recovery than if his cardio is HIIT on
a brutally hard stairmaster.
- If the OP's goals are mostly fat loss related, then it probably
won't matter, because, well sort of my first example above.
- I think for Joe average just trying to get/stay in shape, it's no
biggy.

However, if the OP is going for max muscle gain, perhaps the two
concurrent days off, expecially if he has a heavy squat/deadlift day
on the first day back, would be beneficial - so that he can get the
most out of those workouts. But then, he might want to look at the
cardio volume to see if he should reduce it a bit. He didn't really
say how much he's doing.

- bc