PDA

View Full Version : 5x5

Joe Laughlin
September 16th 04, 07:36 PM
I have a hard time completing a 5x5 routine. I'm fine for the first two
sets, but then I seem to fail on sets 3-5.

Generally, do people start off a low enough weight so they can complete the
whole thing? Or just do fewer reps on the later sets? Or take enough rest
so that they recover between sets?

Brent Wilson
September 16th 04, 10:58 PM
>Subject: 5x5
>From: "Joe Laughlin"
>Date: 9/16/2004 1:36 PM Central Daylight Time
>
>I have a hard time completing a 5x5 routine. I'm fine for the first two
>sets, but then I seem to fail on sets 3-5.
>
>Generally, do people start off a low enough weight so they can complete the
>whole thing? Or just do fewer reps on the later sets? Or take enough rest
>so that they recover between sets?

I personally use the same weight for all five sets. I typically start with 70%
of my 1-rep max, and move up from there over a period of four weeks, something
like 70, 75, 65, 80. Sounds like you are getting too heavy by set three.

Brent

aj
September 16th 04, 11:08 PM
On 2004-09-16, Joe Laughlin > wrote:
> I have a hard time completing a 5x5 routine. I'm fine for the first two
> sets, but then I seem to fail on sets 3-5.
>
> Generally, do people start off a low enough weight so they can complete the
> whole thing? Or just do fewer reps on the later sets? Or take enough rest
> so that they recover between sets?

Goals?

--
-aj