PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder repair complete, problem with post-rehabilitation strength recovery


Jim Wilson
September 16th 04, 09:32 PM
Question: Does anyone have any recommendations for exercises I can do
to strengthen a shoulder given the history below? It seems like there
is a great deal of guidance post surgery and during rehab, but not
much post rehab.

About a year and a half ago I had arthroscopic surgery to repair my
left shoulder. I had the labrum repaired as well as several lax
ligaments tightened up. At the time my shoulder was "going out" (it
never totally dislocated) every three or four months whenever I tried
to lift something when the arm was in an awkward position.

The surgery has been successful and my rehab lasted approx. six
months. I kept up the rehab exercises for several more months.

Then, several months ago I tried to begin working out. The problem I
am having is that the shoulder is not getting any stronger. With any
shoulder exercises I have pain in the shoulder and it is just weak
overall. I can do shoulder presses with pain, but on something like
an incline press I need someone to get the weight started and then I
can do the reps (with pain).

I started out light and moved progressively toward heavier weights. I
quit about a month ago because the shoulder would not progress and
hurt during reps -- by heavier weights I mean heavy for that shoulder,
the other shoulder I could probably work out with at least three times
that weight.

When resting and using the shoulder I now have no pain. I do have
some slight pain however when stretching it out.

Any recommendations??

Pat Styles
September 17th 04, 01:10 AM
"Jim Wilson" > wrote in message
om...
> Question: Does anyone have any recommendations for exercises I can do
> to strengthen a shoulder given the history below? It seems like there
> is a great deal of guidance post surgery and during rehab, but not
> much post rehab.
>
> About a year and a half ago I had arthroscopic surgery to repair my
> left shoulder. I had the labrum repaired as well as several lax
> ligaments tightened up. At the time my shoulder was "going out" (it
> never totally dislocated) every three or four months whenever I tried
> to lift something when the arm was in an awkward position.
>
> The surgery has been successful and my rehab lasted approx. six
> months. I kept up the rehab exercises for several more months.
>
> Then, several months ago I tried to begin working out. The problem I
> am having is that the shoulder is not getting any stronger. With any
> shoulder exercises I have pain in the shoulder and it is just weak
> overall. I can do shoulder presses with pain, but on something like
> an incline press I need someone to get the weight started and then I
> can do the reps (with pain).
>
> I started out light and moved progressively toward heavier weights. I
> quit about a month ago because the shoulder would not progress and
> hurt during reps -- by heavier weights I mean heavy for that shoulder,
> the other shoulder I could probably work out with at least three times
> that weight.
>
> When resting and using the shoulder I now have no pain. I do have
> some slight pain however when stretching it out.
>
> Any recommendations??

Talk to your Doc and your PT.
ps

John Hanson
September 17th 04, 03:53 AM
On 16 Sep 2004 13:32:37 -0700, (Jim Wilson)
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>Question: Does anyone have any recommendations for exercises I can do
>to strengthen a shoulder given the history below? It seems like there
>is a great deal of guidance post surgery and during rehab, but not
>much post rehab.
>
>About a year and a half ago I had arthroscopic surgery to repair my
>left shoulder. I had the labrum repaired as well as several lax
>ligaments tightened up. At the time my shoulder was "going out" (it
>never totally dislocated) every three or four months whenever I tried
>to lift something when the arm was in an awkward position.
>
>The surgery has been successful and my rehab lasted approx. six
>months. I kept up the rehab exercises for several more months.
>
>Then, several months ago I tried to begin working out. The problem I
>am having is that the shoulder is not getting any stronger. With any
>shoulder exercises I have pain in the shoulder and it is just weak
>overall. I can do shoulder presses with pain, but on something like
>an incline press I need someone to get the weight started and then I
>can do the reps (with pain).
>
>I started out light and moved progressively toward heavier weights. I
>quit about a month ago because the shoulder would not progress and
>hurt during reps -- by heavier weights I mean heavy for that shoulder,
>the other shoulder I could probably work out with at least three times
>that weight.
>
>When resting and using the shoulder I now have no pain. I do have
>some slight pain however when stretching it out.
>
>Any recommendations??

What do you mean by "working out"? What exercises are you doing?

When I started training a few years ago, I was not giving my posterior
deltoids or the rest of my upper back enough work while hitting the
bench hard. This caused an imbalance and I had terrible pain in my
shoulders. Now that I give those muscles enough attention, I rarely
have shoulder pain.

Jim Wilson
September 17th 04, 09:46 PM
By 'working out' I mean doing a normal shoulder press (straight up and
down) and an incline shoulder press (pushing out at about a 45 degree
angle) on the hammer machines. I did not want to start out with free
weights.

At first started with light weights, maybe 10 lbs for the first set,
upped the weight slightly for another set, up to five sets for each
exercise. So the weight might go from 10 to 12.5, 15, 20 & 25. For
each set the reps go down from 12 reps, to 10, 8, 6, then 12 again and
then to exhaustion. The first week I started at around 5 pounds.

Anyone else have a similar circumstance or suggestions for
strengthening?? Thanks.

Steve Freides
September 19th 04, 05:35 PM
"Jim Wilson" > wrote in message
om...
> By 'working out' I mean doing a normal shoulder press (straight up and
> down) and an incline shoulder press (pushing out at about a 45 degree
> angle) on the hammer machines. I did not want to start out with free
> weights.

I am not a doctor, PT, nor do I claim any expertise in this area, but I
would think very light free weights would be better for you than
anything else, assuming you have full range of motion without weights
now.


-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> At first started with light weights, maybe 10 lbs for the first set,
> upped the weight slightly for another set, up to five sets for each
> exercise. So the weight might go from 10 to 12.5, 15, 20 & 25. For
> each set the reps go down from 12 reps, to 10, 8, 6, then 12 again and
> then to exhaustion. The first week I started at around 5 pounds.
>
> Anyone else have a similar circumstance or suggestions for
> strengthening?? Thanks.

Bob MacWilliam
September 20th 04, 01:16 AM
"Jim Wilson" > wrote in message
om...
> Question: Does anyone have any recommendations for exercises I can do
> to strengthen a shoulder given the history below? It seems like there
> is a great deal of guidance post surgery and during rehab, but not
> much post rehab.
>
> About a year and a half ago I had arthroscopic surgery to repair my
> left shoulder. I had the labrum repaired as well as several lax
> ligaments tightened up. At the time my shoulder was "going out" (it
> never totally dislocated) every three or four months whenever I tried
> to lift something when the arm was in an awkward position.
>
> The surgery has been successful and my rehab lasted approx. six
> months. I kept up the rehab exercises for several more months.
>
> Then, several months ago I tried to begin working out. The problem I
> am having is that the shoulder is not getting any stronger. With any
> shoulder exercises I have pain in the shoulder and it is just weak
> overall. I can do shoulder presses with pain, but on something like
> an incline press I need someone to get the weight started and then I
> can do the reps (with pain).
>
> I started out light and moved progressively toward heavier weights. I
> quit about a month ago because the shoulder would not progress and
> hurt during reps -- by heavier weights I mean heavy for that shoulder,
> the other shoulder I could probably work out with at least three times
> that weight.
>
> When resting and using the shoulder I now have no pain. I do have
> some slight pain however when stretching it out.
>
> Any recommendations??
>

I just thought I'd let you know that my older brother had a serious shoulder
problem, much worse than you describe. His shoulder would dislocate
multiple times per day sometimes. He had major surgery on it, shortening
ligaments like you mentioned. The good news is the shoulder did eventually
fully recover and he is as strong as a bull (>400lb bench press) and no
significant strength imbalance between shoulders. His range of motion
though never really fully came back compared to pre-injury, and things like
throwing a ball is not as good, but strength is no problem and the "bad"
shoulder is not a limitation in the gym.


Bob

Bob Fusillo
September 20th 04, 04:25 PM
My experience may be tangential to yours, but --- about two plus years ago I
had rotator cuff surgery. The recovery was slow, and I lost a lot of
strength during the lull. I started back to working out and all was well
for some time. But more than a year after the pain had stopped I felt
recovered ( pain free) but had nowhere near the strength I had before. I had
a meet in the offing and started really pushing. Bang!, I seem to have torn
it again -- hurts bad all the time. Quite obviously, a repaired shoulder is
not as strong as original issue.
Although -- about 8 or 9 years ago I had a similar operation on the other
shoulder, and it recovered well and I got my strength back and have had no
problem. Blame the recent doctor? Age?
Whatever -- take it much slower than you want to! And for much longer.
rjf

"Jim Wilson" > wrote in message
om...
> Question: Does anyone have any recommendations for exercises I can do
> to strengthen a shoulder given the history below? It seems like there
> is a great deal of guidance post surgery and during rehab, but not
> much post rehab.
>