PDA

View Full Version : What's a good pre-workout drink / food?

hammisink
September 16th 04, 09:38 PM
I seem to have sugar crashes relatively easily, especially when
working out. I've been eating oatmeal with a protein concoction about
an hour or so before workout, but this doesn't work. Crash right in
the middle.

What are some people doing for a pre-workout energy burst that won't
cause a crash? I think a drink of some type would be better than food
so I don't have to digest it first.

Joe Laughlin
September 16th 04, 11:13 PM
hammisink wrote:
> I seem to have sugar crashes relatively easily,
> especially when working out. I've been eating oatmeal
> with a protein concoction about an hour or so before
> workout, but this doesn't work. Crash right in the middle.
>
> What are some people doing for a pre-workout energy burst
> that won't cause a crash? I think a drink of some type
> would be better than food so I don't have to digest it
> first.

What type of workouts? How long are you working out? What intensity?

Sip some carb drink (gatorade, for example) during the workout.

elzinator
September 17th 04, 02:24 AM
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:13:43 GMT, Joe Laughlin wrote:
>hammisink wrote:
>> I seem to have sugar crashes relatively easily,
>> especially when working out. I've been eating oatmeal
>> with a protein concoction about an hour or so before
>> workout, but this doesn't work. Crash right in the middle.
>>
>> What are some people doing for a pre-workout energy burst
>> that won't cause a crash? I think a drink of some type
>> would be better than food so I don't have to digest it
>> first.
>
>What type of workouts? How long are you working out? What intensity?
>
>Sip some carb drink (gatorade, for example) during the workout.

One a little bit higher in carbs may be better, depending on the
duration of your workout session.

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

hammisink
September 20th 04, 12:51 AM
elzinator > wrote in message >...
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:13:43 GMT, Joe Laughlin wrote:
> >hammisink wrote:
> >> I seem to have sugar crashes relatively easily,
> >> especially when working out. I've been eating oatmeal
> >> with a protein concoction about an hour or so before
> >> workout, but this doesn't work. Crash right in the middle.
> >>
> >> What are some people doing for a pre-workout energy burst
> >> that won't cause a crash? I think a drink of some type
> >> would be better than food so I don't have to digest it
> >> first.
> >
> >What type of workouts? How long are you working out? What intensity?
> >
> >Sip some carb drink (gatorade, for example) during the workout.
>
> One a little bit higher in carbs may be better, depending on the
> duration of your workout session.

They're basically "sloppy" HST using the abbreviated routine of
hardgainer (5 or 6 basic movements with free weights). Work up slowly
in intensity over the course of two months.

It's obnoxious because if I wait until my meal is digested, I crash
during workout. But if I workout before it's digested, I get awful
stomach acid pains. Ug.

I've always been like this, though. When I go backpacking I munch
trail mix CONSTANTLY otherwise I get the shakes of a sugar crash,
despite not having had any super high glycemic foods. However, the
people I'm with hardly ever use their trail mix at all. I wonder if
this is some form of hypoglycemia.

Jim
September 20th 04, 01:06 AM
"hammisink" > wrote in message
om...
> elzinator > wrote in message

> > >What type of workouts? How long are you working out? What intensity?
> > >
> > >Sip some carb drink (gatorade, for example) during the workout.
> >
> > One a little bit higher in carbs may be better, depending on the
> > duration of your workout session.
> >

> They're basically "sloppy" HST using the abbreviated routine of
> hardgainer (5 or 6 basic movements with free weights). Work up slowly
> in intensity over the course of two months.
>
> It's obnoxious because if I wait until my meal is digested, I crash
> during workout. But if I workout before it's digested, I get awful
> stomach acid pains. Ug.
>
> I've always been like this, though. When I go backpacking I munch
> trail mix CONSTANTLY otherwise I get the shakes of a sugar crash,
> despite not having had any super high glycemic foods. However, the
> people I'm with hardly ever use their trail mix at all. I wonder if
> this is some form of hypoglycemia.

You could use gatorade or honey mixed with water.

Jim