PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Curls

Geezer From The Freezer
September 17th 04, 09:33 AM
Its been suggested to me that wrist curls are a waste of time to build
my lower arms. Someone suggested that normal bicep curls will work fine
for lower arms as well as the biceps - is this bull?

Wrist curls make my lower arm muscles hurt, so surely that should help build
my lower arms. I have seen some improved definition, but is this the wrist
curls or bicep curls that have done this?

I'd appreciate any comments cos I'd like to know if this is BS or not.

Justin Case
September 17th 04, 04:48 PM
Geezer From The Freezer > wrote in message >...
> Its been suggested to me that wrist curls are a waste of time to build
> my lower arms. Someone suggested that normal bicep curls will work fine
> for lower arms as well as the biceps - is this bull?

No, it's not bull. Bicep curls will work your forearms too.

> Wrist curls make my lower arm muscles hurt, so surely that should help build
> my lower arms. I have seen some improved definition, but is this the wrist
> curls or bicep curls that have done this?

Of course they'll build your lower arms but they're not necessary if you're
doing any of the more productive, larger compound exercises.
You get some very intense forearm & grip work from deadlifts, chins/pulldowns
and rows. Your time is better spent on those than wrist curls.

Kevin J. Coolidge
September 17th 04, 06:20 PM
I have found that wrist curls are a waste of time for me. As Justin said,
pullups deadlift, heavy 1 arm rows will build some massive forearms, but
some great direct work are hammer curls, also I like barbell rolls. Wrist
curls are hard on the wrists. I feel they can lead to carpal tunnel like
symptoms. Also try some heavy hammer typer work and grip work will work
those forarms. Chins with a towel wrapped around the bar will work those
forarms.

"Geezer From The Freezer" > wrote in message
> Its been suggested to me that wrist curls are a waste of time to build
> my lower arms. Someone suggested that normal bicep curls will work fine
> for lower arms as well as the biceps - is this bull?
>
> Wrist curls make my lower arm muscles hurt, so surely that should help
> build
> my lower arms. I have seen some improved definition, but is this the wrist
> curls or bicep curls that have done this?
>
> I'd appreciate any comments cos I'd like to know if this is BS or not.

Jeff Finlayson
September 17th 04, 10:24 PM
Geezer From The Freezer wrote:

> Its been suggested to me that wrist curls are a waste of time to build
> my lower arms. Someone suggested that normal bicep curls will work fine
> for lower arms as well as the biceps - is this bull?

Not bull. Curls, rows, pull-ups, deadlifts, wrist roller, etc all
work the forearms (grip).

> Wrist curls make my lower arm muscles hurt, so surely that should
> help build my lower arms.

Your forearms hurt in what way?

> I have seen some improved definition, but is this the wrist curls
> or bicep curls that have done this?

As far as building forearm size, some combination of both. ;)
Definiation is also dependent on low body fat.

Geezer From The Freezer
September 20th 04, 09:19 AM
Jeff Finlayson wrote:

> Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
>
> > Its been suggested to me that wrist curls are a waste of time to build
> > my lower arms. Someone suggested that normal bicep curls will work fine
> > for lower arms as well as the biceps - is this bull?
>
> Not bull. Curls, rows, pull-ups, deadlifts, wrist roller, etc all
> work the forearms (grip).
>
> > Wrist curls make my lower arm muscles hurt, so surely that should
> > help build my lower arms.
>
> Your forearms hurt in what way?

Aching muscles, general tightness after workout and sometimes DOMS the next day.