PDA

View Full Version : Funny gym rituals

bc
September 17th 04, 06:36 PM
Reading Elzi's dl stretching advice reminded me of some of the funny
rituals I have in the gym. My squat stretching is pretty much a
ritual I suppose, but I have others, like
- Before each db bench set, I rotate my neck and loosen my shoulder up
a bit, wipe off my glasses, check the endcaps on the db's, dry and
blow air on my fingers, then relax and focus before taking the db's
off my lap and lying back to bench. Doing it yesterday, I realized I
might look kind of silly.
- I have somewhat similar patterns before cable rows and dl's,
although the dl's involve more praying.

I watched a guy yesterday who was doing those cable pull-down crunch
things. He had a towel on the floor that I swear he straightened out
in a manic pattern like 7 or 8 times before each set. Every rinkle
had to be ironed out before he would put his knees on it. I guess he
has picky knees.

Any others?

- bc (what's with me doing polls today?)

Jim
September 18th 04, 04:16 AM
I see alot of people cheating on the lat pulldown. Usually newbies that dont
have a clue. I see it so much its damn near a ritual. They heave their whole
body into it. Its funny.

Jim

Willie D
September 18th 04, 04:22 AM
(bc) wrote in message >...
> Reading Elzi's dl stretching advice reminded me of some of the funny
> rituals I have in the gym. My squat stretching is pretty much a
> ritual I suppose, but I have others, like
> - Before each db bench set, I rotate my neck and loosen my shoulder up
> a bit, wipe off my glasses, check the endcaps on the db's, dry and
> blow air on my fingers, then relax and focus before taking the db's
> off my lap and lying back to bench. Doing it yesterday, I realized I
> might look kind of silly.
> - I have somewhat similar patterns before cable rows and dl's,
> although the dl's involve more praying.
>
> I watched a guy yesterday who was doing those cable pull-down crunch
> things. He had a towel on the floor that I swear he straightened out
> in a manic pattern like 7 or 8 times before each set. Every rinkle
> had to be ironed out before he would put his knees on it. I guess he
> has picky knees.
>
> Any others?
>
> - bc (what's with me doing polls today?)

Sounds like he was just procrastinating before starting his set.
Common habit when we subconsciously don't want to exercise.

John M. Williams
September 18th 04, 04:47 AM
(bc) wrote:
>Reading Elzi's dl stretching advice reminded me of some of the funny
>rituals I have in the gym. My squat stretching is pretty much a
>ritual I suppose, but I have others, like
>- Before each db bench set, I rotate my neck and loosen my shoulder up
>a bit, wipe off my glasses, check the endcaps on the db's, dry and
>blow air on my fingers, then relax and focus before taking the db's
>off my lap and lying back to bench. Doing it yesterday, I realized I
>might look kind of silly.
>- I have somewhat similar patterns before cable rows and dl's,
>although the dl's involve more praying.
>
>I watched a guy yesterday who was doing those cable pull-down crunch
>things. He had a towel on the floor that I swear he straightened out
>in a manic pattern like 7 or 8 times before each set. Every rinkle
>had to be ironed out before he would put his knees on it. I guess he
>has picky knees.
>
>Any others?

I usually sacrifice a lamb on the Olympic bench before maximal bench
presses.

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
September 18th 04, 10:02 AM
John M. Williams wrote:

> (bc) wrote:
>
>>Reading Elzi's dl stretching advice reminded me of some of the funny
>>rituals I have in the gym. My squat stretching is pretty much a
>>ritual I suppose, but I have others, like
>>- Before each db bench set, I rotate my neck and loosen my shoulder up
>>a bit, wipe off my glasses, check the endcaps on the db's, dry and
>>blow air on my fingers, then relax and focus before taking the db's
>>off my lap and lying back to bench. Doing it yesterday, I realized I
>>might look kind of silly.
>>- I have somewhat similar patterns before cable rows and dl's,
>>although the dl's involve more praying.
>>
>>I watched a guy yesterday who was doing those cable pull-down crunch
>>things. He had a towel on the floor that I swear he straightened out
>>in a manic pattern like 7 or 8 times before each set. Every rinkle
>>had to be ironed out before he would put his knees on it. I guess he
>>has picky knees.
>>
>>Any others?
>

> I usually sacrifice a lamb on the Olympic bench before maximal bench
> presses.

Doesn't that make the bench kinda slippery for benching on afterwards? I
mean, all that blood and entrails... and shouldn't you sacrifice some
fruit too - I heard that mixing carbs and protein before your workout
makes it more effective...

Anna

David
September 18th 04, 10:19 AM
"Anna Martelli Ravenscroft" > wrote in message
> John M. Williams wrote:
>
> > (bc) wrote:
> >
> >>Reading Elzi's dl stretching advice reminded me of some of the funny
> >>rituals I have in the gym. My squat stretching is pretty much a
> >>ritual I suppose, but I have others, like
> >>- Before each db bench set, I rotate my neck and loosen my shoulder up
> >>a bit, wipe off my glasses, check the endcaps on the db's, dry and
> >>blow air on my fingers, then relax and focus before taking the db's
> >>off my lap and lying back to bench. Doing it yesterday, I realized I
> >>might look kind of silly.
> >>- I have somewhat similar patterns before cable rows and dl's,
> >>although the dl's involve more praying.
> >>
> >>I watched a guy yesterday who was doing those cable pull-down crunch
> >>things. He had a towel on the floor that I swear he straightened out
> >>in a manic pattern like 7 or 8 times before each set. Every rinkle
> >>had to be ironed out before he would put his knees on it. I guess he
> >>has picky knees.
> >>
> >>Any others?
> >

> > I usually sacrifice a lamb on the Olympic bench before maximal bench
> > presses.
>
> Doesn't that make the bench kinda slippery for benching on afterwards? I
> mean, all that blood and entrails... and shouldn't you sacrifice some
> fruit too - I heard that mixing carbs and protein before your workout
> makes it more effective...
>
> Anna

You have some imagination Anna!

Mick R.
September 18th 04, 11:20 AM
"Anna Martelli Ravenscroft" > wrote in message
> John M. Williams wrote:
>
> > (bc) wrote:
> >
> >>Reading Elzi's dl stretching advice reminded me of some of the funny
> >>rituals I have in the gym. My squat stretching is pretty much a
> >>ritual I suppose, but I have others, like
> >>- Before each db bench set, I rotate my neck and loosen my shoulder up
> >>a bit, wipe off my glasses, check the endcaps on the db's, dry and
> >>blow air on my fingers, then relax and focus before taking the db's
> >>off my lap and lying back to bench. Doing it yesterday, I realized I
> >>might look kind of silly.
> >>- I have somewhat similar patterns before cable rows and dl's,
> >>although the dl's involve more praying.
> >>
> >>I watched a guy yesterday who was doing those cable pull-down crunch
> >>things. He had a towel on the floor that I swear he straightened out
> >>in a manic pattern like 7 or 8 times before each set. Every rinkle
> >>had to be ironed out before he would put his knees on it. I guess he
> >>has picky knees.
> >>
> >>Any others?
> >

> > I usually sacrifice a lamb on the Olympic bench before maximal bench
> > presses.
>
> Doesn't that make the bench kinda slippery for benching on afterwards? I
> mean, all that blood and entrails... and shouldn't you sacrifice some
> fruit too - I heard that mixing carbs and protein before your workout
> makes it more effective...
>
> Anna

I prefer to sacrifice large medium-rare slabs of cow and quantities of good
shiraz or merlot roughly 12 hours after deadlifting. Of course being my own
high-priest I do get to consume the sacrifice once it's been offered at the
alter. I believe my high-priestess has a similar ritual.

--
Mick R.

Until you get pretty good at it, deadlifting is 90% half mental. - Wayne S.
Hill

elzinator
September 18th 04, 03:26 PM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:20:05 +1000, Mick R. wrote:

>"Anna Martelli Ravenscroft" > wrote in message
>> John M. Williams wrote:

>> > I usually sacrifice a lamb on the Olympic bench before maximal bench
>> > presses.
>>
>> Doesn't that make the bench kinda slippery for benching on afterwards? I
>> mean, all that blood and entrails... and shouldn't you sacrifice some
>> fruit too - I heard that mixing carbs and protein before your workout
>> makes it more effective...
>>
>> Anna
>
>I prefer to sacrifice large medium-rare slabs of cow and quantities of good
>shiraz or merlot roughly 12 hours after deadlifting. Of course being my own
>high-priest I do get to consume the sacrifice once it's been offered at the
>alter. I believe my high-priestess has a similar ritual.

The Sabbath Day Deadlift is a sacrament by the High Priestess and
requires two sacrifices.

The first is the sacrifice of the High Priestess herself. Because of
her mutation of the God gene (which is dysfunctional), she has a
variant called the Deadlift gene. It appears to confer a type of
metaphysical connection between the barbell loaded with weights and
her limbic system. Surprisingly, the homunculus* of her brain includes
a loaded deadlift bar. This explains why she 'becomes one' with the
weighted bar. Thus she sacrifices a part of herself when she
deadlifts. Afterward, drained of all strength and power, she lays on a
bench or the floor in exhaustion.

The second sacrifice occurs after the deadlift and is similar to
Mick's. It serves to rejuvenate the drained reservoir of strength and
power in the High Priestess, thereby facilitating the next deadlift
sacrament. Each time, the renewal is greater.

* The homunculus is a representation of the body somatosensory and
motor map encoded in the primary motor cortex. Each area on the maps
is related to the neurosensory connections and motor movement.

http://www.cs.uta.fi/~jh/homunculus.html
http://www.macalester.edu/~psych/whathap/UBNRP/Phantom/homunculus.html

The homunculus depicted as an 3-D model:
http://www.rdegraaf.nl/index.asp?sND_ID=471490

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

Proton Soup
September 18th 04, 05:07 PM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 09:26:55 -0500, elzinator
> wrote:

>The Sabbath Day Deadlift is a sacrament by the High Priestess and
>requires two sacrifices.
>
>The first is the sacrifice of the High Priestess herself. Because of
>her mutation of the God gene (which is dysfunctional), she has a
>variant called the Deadlift gene. It appears to confer a type of
>metaphysical connection between the barbell loaded with weights and
>her limbic system. Surprisingly, the homunculus* of her brain includes
>a loaded deadlift bar. This explains why she 'becomes one' with the
>weighted bar. Thus she sacrifices a part of herself when she
>deadlifts. Afterward, drained of all strength and power, she lays on a
>bench or the floor in exhaustion.

Heh, yeah, I have a loaded "bar" in my homungulus, too.

>The second sacrifice occurs after the deadlift and is similar to
>Mick's. It serves to rejuvenate the drained reservoir of strength and
>power in the High Priestess, thereby facilitating the next deadlift
>sacrament. Each time, the renewal is greater.
>
>* The homunculus is a representation of the body somatosensory and
>motor map encoded in the primary motor cortex. Each area on the maps
>is related to the neurosensory connections and motor movement.
>
>http://www.cs.uta.fi/~jh/homunculus.html
>http://www.macalester.edu/~psych/whathap/UBNRP/Phantom/homunculus.html
>
>The homunculus depicted as an 3-D model:
>http://www.rdegraaf.nl/index.asp?sND_ID=471490

That dude must be asexual.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

John M. Williams
September 18th 04, 05:57 PM
Anna Martelli Ravenscroft > wrote:

>John M. Williams wrote:
>
>> (bc) wrote:
>>
>>>Reading Elzi's dl stretching advice reminded me of some of the funny
>>>rituals I have in the gym. My squat stretching is pretty much a
>>>ritual I suppose, but I have others, like
>>>- Before each db bench set, I rotate my neck and loosen my shoulder up
>>>a bit, wipe off my glasses, check the endcaps on the db's, dry and
>>>blow air on my fingers, then relax and focus before taking the db's
>>>off my lap and lying back to bench. Doing it yesterday, I realized I
>>>might look kind of silly.
>>>- I have somewhat similar patterns before cable rows and dl's,
>>>although the dl's involve more praying.
>>>
>>>I watched a guy yesterday who was doing those cable pull-down crunch
>>>things. He had a towel on the floor that I swear he straightened out
>>>in a manic pattern like 7 or 8 times before each set. Every rinkle
>>>had to be ironed out before he would put his knees on it. I guess he
>>>has picky knees.
>>>
>>>Any others?
>>

>> I usually sacrifice a lamb on the Olympic bench before maximal bench
>> presses.
>
>Doesn't that make the bench kinda slippery for benching on afterwards? I
>mean, all that blood and entrails... and shouldn't you sacrifice some
>fruit too - I heard that mixing carbs and protein before your workout
>makes it more effective...

You wait for the blood to congeal to a nice sticky consistency to
firmly plant your shoulders and butt for a good arch better than
chalk.

Mick R.
September 18th 04, 11:00 PM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:20:05 +1000, Mick R. wrote:

> >> Doesn't that make the bench kinda slippery for benching on afterwards?
> >> mean, all that blood and entrails... and shouldn't you sacrifice some
> >> fruit too - I heard that mixing carbs and protein before your workout
> >> makes it more effective...
> >>
> >> Anna
> >
> >I prefer to sacrifice large medium-rare slabs of cow and quantities of
good
> >shiraz or merlot roughly 12 hours after deadlifting. Of course being my
own
> >high-priest I do get to consume the sacrifice once it's been offered at
the
> >alter. I believe my high-priestess has a similar ritual.
>
> The Sabbath Day Deadlift is a sacrament by the High Priestess and
> requires two sacrifices.
>
> The first is the sacrifice of the High Priestess herself. Because of
> her mutation of the God gene (which is dysfunctional), she has a
> variant called the Deadlift gene. It appears to confer a type of
> metaphysical connection between the barbell loaded with weights and
> her limbic system. Surprisingly, the homunculus* of her brain includes
> a loaded deadlift bar. This explains why she 'becomes one' with the
> weighted bar. Thus she sacrifices a part of herself when she
> deadlifts. Afterward, drained of all strength and power, she lays on a
> bench or the floor in exhaustion.
>
> The second sacrifice occurs after the deadlift and is similar to
> Mick's. It serves to rejuvenate the drained reservoir of strength and
> power in the High Priestess, thereby facilitating the next deadlift
> sacrament. Each time, the renewal is greater.
>
> * The homunculus is a representation of the body somatosensory and
> motor map encoded in the primary motor cortex. Each area on the maps
> is related to the neurosensory connections and motor movement.
>
> http://www.cs.uta.fi/~jh/homunculus.html
> http://www.macalester.edu/~psych/whathap/UBNRP/Phantom/homunculus.html
>
> The homunculus depicted as an 3-D model:
> http://www.rdegraaf.nl/index.asp?sND_ID=471490

Yeah! Like that!

Just with smaller words and stuff.

Of course, extrapolated to the infinite, this could result in both you and
the deadlift bar disappearing in burst of pure exertion and being replaced
by a new conglomerate being of infinite deadliftitiude and detailed
biomolecular knowledge.

> "What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
> you weren't thinking?"
> - Inspector Raymond Fowler

elzinator
September 18th 04, 11:21 PM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:00:44 +1000, Mick R. wrote:

>"elzinator" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:20:05 +1000, Mick R. wrote:

>> >I prefer to sacrifice large medium-rare slabs of cow and quantities of
>good
>> >shiraz or merlot roughly 12 hours after deadlifting. Of course being my
>own
>> >high-priest I do get to consume the sacrifice once it's been offered at
>the
>> >alter. I believe my high-priestess has a similar ritual.
>>
>> The Sabbath Day Deadlift is a sacrament by the High Priestess and
>> requires two sacrifices.
>>
>> The first is the sacrifice of the High Priestess herself. Because of
>> her mutation of the God gene (which is dysfunctional), she has a
>> variant called the Deadlift gene. It appears to confer a type of
>> metaphysical connection between the barbell loaded with weights and
>> her limbic system. Surprisingly, the homunculus* of her brain includes
>> a loaded deadlift bar. This explains why she 'becomes one' with the
>> weighted bar. Thus she sacrifices a part of herself when she
>> deadlifts. Afterward, drained of all strength and power, she lays on a
>> bench or the floor in exhaustion.
>>
>> The second sacrifice occurs after the deadlift and is similar to
>> Mick's. It serves to rejuvenate the drained reservoir of strength and
>> power in the High Priestess, thereby facilitating the next deadlift
>> sacrament. Each time, the renewal is greater.
>>
>> * The homunculus is a representation of the body somatosensory and
>> motor map encoded in the primary motor cortex. Each area on the maps
>> is related to the neurosensory connections and motor movement.
>>
>> http://www.cs.uta.fi/~jh/homunculus.html
>> http://www.macalester.edu/~psych/whathap/UBNRP/Phantom/homunculus.html
>>
>> The homunculus depicted as an 3-D model:
>> http://www.rdegraaf.nl/index.asp?sND_ID=471490
>>

>Yeah! Like that!
>
>Just with smaller words and stuff.
>
>Of course, extrapolated to the infinite, this could result in both you and
>the deadlift bar disappearing in burst of pure exertion and being replaced
>by a new conglomerate being of infinite deadliftitiude and detailed
>biomolecular knowledge.

I suspect the big gorillas in the new gym would be alarmed by the big
lips on the bumper plates spewing forth cellular signaling pathways
and the giant gesturing hands attached to the bar. :)

'Deadliftitude'........ I like that........

BTW, I know it will take awhile for the movie tape to float over to
Aussie Island, but when it does, you have to go see "Sky Captain"
It was awesome.

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
September 18th 04, 11:23 PM

(bc) wrote:

> up

>>>I prefer to sacrifice large medium-rare slabs of cow and quantities of
>
> good
>
>>>shiraz or merlot roughly 12 hours after deadlifting. Of course being my
>
> own
>
>>>high-priest I do get to consume the sacrifice once it's been offered at
>
> the
>
>>>alter. I believe my high-priestess has a similar ritual.
>>
>>The Sabbath Day Deadlift is a sacrament by the High Priestess and
>>requires two sacrifices.
>>
>>The first is the sacrifice of the High Priestess herself. Because of
>>her mutation of the God gene (which is dysfunctional), she has a
>>variant called the Deadlift gene. It appears to confer a type of
>>metaphysical connection between the barbell loaded with weights and
>>her limbic system. Surprisingly, the homunculus* of her brain includes
>>a loaded deadlift bar. This explains why she 'becomes one' with the
>>weighted bar. Thus she sacrifices a part of herself when she
>>deadlifts. Afterward, drained of all strength and power, she lays on a
>>bench or the floor in exhaustion.
>>
>>The second sacrifice occurs after the deadlift and is similar to
>>Mick's. It serves to rejuvenate the drained reservoir of strength and
>>power in the High Priestess, thereby facilitating the next deadlift
>>sacrament. Each time, the renewal is greater.
>>
>>* The homunculus is a representation of the body somatosensory and
>>motor map encoded in the primary motor cortex. Each area on the maps
>>is related to the neurosensory connections and motor movement.
>>
>>http://www.cs.uta.fi/~jh/homunculus.html
>>http://www.macalester.edu/~psych/whathap/UBNRP/Phantom/homunculus.html
>>
>>The homunculus depicted as an 3-D model:
>>http://www.rdegraaf.nl/index.asp?sND_ID=471490
>>

> Yeah! Like that!
>
> Just with smaller words and stuff.
>
> Of course, extrapolated to the infinite, this could result in both you and
> the deadlift bar disappearing in burst of pure exertion and being replaced
> by a new conglomerate being of infinite deadliftitiude and detailed
> biomolecular knowledge.

And this would be bad because...?

Mick R.
September 19th 04, 06:47 AM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:00:44 +1000, Mick R. wrote:

> >good
> >own
> >the
> >>
> >> The Sabbath Day Deadlift is a sacrament by the High Priestess and
> >> requires two sacrifices.
> >>
> >> The first is the sacrifice of the High Priestess herself. Because of
> >> her mutation of the God gene (which is dysfunctional), she has a
> >> variant called the Deadlift gene. It appears to confer a type of
> >> metaphysical connection between the barbell loaded with weights and
> >> her limbic system. Surprisingly, the homunculus* of her brain includes
> >> a loaded deadlift bar. This explains why she 'becomes one' with the
> >> weighted bar. Thus she sacrifices a part of herself when she
> >> deadlifts. Afterward, drained of all strength and power, she lays on a
> >> bench or the floor in exhaustion.
> >>
> >> The second sacrifice occurs after the deadlift and is similar to
> >> Mick's. It serves to rejuvenate the drained reservoir of strength and
> >> power in the High Priestess, thereby facilitating the next deadlift
> >> sacrament. Each time, the renewal is greater.
> >>
> >> * The homunculus is a representation of the body somatosensory and
> >> motor map encoded in the primary motor cortex. Each area on the maps
> >> is related to the neurosensory connections and motor movement.
> >>
> >> http://www.cs.uta.fi/~jh/homunculus.html
> >> http://www.macalester.edu/~psych/whathap/UBNRP/Phantom/homunculus.html
> >>
> >> The homunculus depicted as an 3-D model:
> >> http://www.rdegraaf.nl/index.asp?sND_ID=471490
> >>

> >Yeah! Like that!
> >
> >Just with smaller words and stuff.
> >
> >Of course, extrapolated to the infinite, this could result in both you
and
> >the deadlift bar disappearing in burst of pure exertion and being
replaced
> >by a new conglomerate being of infinite deadliftitiude and detailed
> >biomolecular knowledge.
>
> I suspect the big gorillas in the new gym would be alarmed by the big
> lips on the bumper plates spewing forth cellular signaling pathways
> and the giant gesturing hands attached to the bar. :)

If they're dropping acid they might be used to it by now.
It is an interesting mental image though.

> 'Deadliftitude'........ I like that........

In that case, may you have much deadliftitude apon the sabath.

> BTW, I know it will take awhile for the movie tape to float over to
> Aussie Island, but when it does, you have to go see "Sky Captain"
> It was awesome.

I saw some posters for it when we went to see Hellboy.

Ron Pearlman ... he ain't little!

> "What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
> you weren't thinking?"
> - Inspector Raymond Fowler

Mick R.
September 19th 04, 06:50 AM
"Anna Martelli Ravenscroft" > wrote in message
> Mick R. wrote:

> > up

> > good

> > own

> > the

> >>The Sabbath Day Deadlift is a sacrament by the High Priestess and
> >>requires two sacrifices.
> >>
> >>The first is the sacrifice of the High Priestess herself. Because of
> >>her mutation of the God gene (which is dysfunctional), she has a
> >>variant called the Deadlift gene. It appears to confer a type of
> >>metaphysical connection between the barbell loaded with weights and
> >>her limbic system. Surprisingly, the homunculus* of her brain includes
> >>a loaded deadlift bar. This explains why she 'becomes one' with the
> >>weighted bar. Thus she sacrifices a part of herself when she
> >>deadlifts. Afterward, drained of all strength and power, she lays on a
> >>bench or the floor in exhaustion.
> >>
> >>The second sacrifice occurs after the deadlift and is similar to
> >>Mick's. It serves to rejuvenate the drained reservoir of strength and
> >>power in the High Priestess, thereby facilitating the next deadlift
> >>sacrament. Each time, the renewal is greater.
> >>
> >>* The homunculus is a representation of the body somatosensory and
> >>motor map encoded in the primary motor cortex. Each area on the maps
> >>is related to the neurosensory connections and motor movement.
> >>
> >>http://www.cs.uta.fi/~jh/homunculus.html
> >>http://www.macalester.edu/~psych/whathap/UBNRP/Phantom/homunculus.html
> >>
> >>The homunculus depicted as an 3-D model:
> >>http://www.rdegraaf.nl/index.asp?sND_ID=471490
> >>

> > Yeah! Like that!
> >
> > Just with smaller words and stuff.
> >
> > Of course, extrapolated to the infinite, this could result in both you
and
> > the deadlift bar disappearing in burst of pure exertion and being
replaced
> > by a new conglomerate being of infinite deadliftitiude and detailed
> > biomolecular knowledge.
>
> And this would be bad because...?

I didn't say it was a bad thing.
Just one of those things I think about when I have far too much time on my
hands. "What would happen if <x> was taken to it's infinite conclusion?"

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
September 19th 04, 09:22 AM
Mick R. wrote:

> "Anna Martelli Ravenscroft" > wrote in message

>>And this would be bad because...?
>

> I didn't say it was a bad thing.
> Just one of those things I think about when I have far too much time on my
> hands. "What would happen if <x> was taken to it's infinite conclusion?"

I, of course, never engage in such mental maundering... ;-)

elzinator
September 19th 04, 11:36 PM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:47:55 +1000, Mick R. wrote:

>"elzinator" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:00:44 +1000, Mick R. wrote:

>> >Of course, extrapolated to the infinite, this could result in both you
>and
>> >the deadlift bar disappearing in burst of pure exertion and being
>replaced
>> >by a new conglomerate being of infinite deadliftitiude and detailed
>> >biomolecular knowledge.
>>
>> I suspect the big gorillas in the new gym would be alarmed by the big
>> lips on the bumper plates spewing forth cellular signaling pathways
>> and the giant gesturing hands attached to the bar. :)
>>
>If they're dropping acid they might be used to it by now.
>It is an interesting mental image though.

It is. I'm still not sure where the big feet fit in yet.

>> 'Deadliftitude'........ I like that........
>>
>In that case, may you have much deadliftitude apon the sabath.

Yea, lo Sunday is indeed the Sabbath of the Deadlift!!
And my new gym has TOO MANY powerlifters.
In the time I was there (a bit over an hour), there were 7, yes 7 of
us deadlifting.

At one time, there were 2 DLers in front (nearest to the wall), one
PLer squatting using the monolith, then me DLing behind the monolith.
It was like a DL sandwich with squats as the burger (or cheese, take
your pick). We all tried to time our sets so that we didn't interfere
with each other. What a traffic jam.

Ironically, one of the PLers asked me why I was pausing with the bar
near the floor. I breathlessly sputtered out "pause deadlifts". His
eyebrows went up and he said "Oooh, so you're a masochist!?"

The DL Mass was followed by a big 3/4 lb burger without the bun and a
salad.

Now I'm ready to sleep.

>> BTW, I know it will take awhile for the movie tape to float over to
>> Aussie Island, but when it does, you have to go see "Sky Captain"
>> It was awesome.
>>
>I saw some posters for it when we went to see Hellboy.

Great imagery!! Low in character development, but it is worth seeing.
Angeline Jollie kicks ass in her fetish military garb. She needs an
honorary penis in that movie. :)

>Ron Pearlman ... he ain't little!

He's a very big man, very big boned (I mean that with all
seriousness). I continue to wonder if he had or has acromegaly.
(overproduction of growth hormone)

He plays great villains.

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

Jim
September 19th 04, 11:46 PM
Ill never forget Ron Perlman in Alien Ressurection.
One of the great movie lines of all time. Ripley gets emotional seeing her
clones. Perlman says"must be a chick thing" . The best movie line of all
time..Roy Scheider(sp)...we're gonna need a bigger boat! Jaws.

Jim

No Frills
September 20th 04, 12:13 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:36:02 -0500, elzinator
> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:47:55 +1000, Mick R. wrote:

>>and
>>replaced
>>>
>>> I suspect the big gorillas in the new gym would be alarmed by the big
>>> lips on the bumper plates spewing forth cellular signaling pathways
>>> and the giant gesturing hands attached to the bar. :)
>>>
>>If they're dropping acid they might be used to it by now.
>>It is an interesting mental image though.
>
>It is. I'm still not sure where the big feet fit in yet.
>
>>> 'Deadliftitude'........ I like that........
>>>
>>In that case, may you have much deadliftitude apon the sabath.
>
>Yea, lo Sunday is indeed the Sabbath of the Deadlift!!
>And my new gym has TOO MANY powerlifters.
>In the time I was there (a bit over an hour), there were 7, yes 7 of
>us deadlifting.
>
>At one time, there were 2 DLers in front (nearest to the wall), one
>PLer squatting using the monolith, then me DLing behind the monolith.
>It was like a DL sandwich with squats as the burger (or cheese, take
>your pick). We all tried to time our sets so that we didn't interfere
>with each other. What a traffic jam.

Do you mean 'monolift'? Isn't a monolith a rock or something?

---
No-no-no in the squat rack!!

Jim
September 20th 04, 12:26 AM
"No Frills" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:36:02 -0500, elzinator
> > wrote:

> >>and
> >>replaced

> >>If they're dropping acid they might be used to it by now.
> >>It is an interesting mental image though.
> >
> >It is. I'm still not sure where the big feet fit in yet.

> >>In that case, may you have much deadliftitude apon the sabath.
> >
> >Yea, lo Sunday is indeed the Sabbath of the Deadlift!!
> >And my new gym has TOO MANY powerlifters.
> >In the time I was there (a bit over an hour), there were 7, yes 7 of
> >us deadlifting.
> >
> >At one time, there were 2 DLers in front (nearest to the wall), one
> >PLer squatting using the monolith, then me DLing behind the monolith.
> >It was like a DL sandwich with squats as the burger (or cheese, take
> >your pick). We all tried to time our sets so that we didn't interfere
> >with each other. What a traffic jam.
>
> Do you mean 'monolift'? Isn't a monolith a rock or something?

It's a large black domino on the surface of the moon.

Jim

John M. Williams
September 20th 04, 01:20 AM
"Jim" > wrote:

>Ill never forget Ron Perlman in Alien Ressurection.
>One of the great movie lines of all time. Ripley gets emotional seeing her
>clones. Perlman says"must be a chick thing" .

"Who are you?"
"I'm the monster's mother."

Jim
September 20th 04, 01:33 AM
"John M. Williams" > wrote in message
> "Jim" > wrote:
>
> >Ill never forget Ron Perlman in Alien Ressurection.
> >One of the great movie lines of all time. Ripley gets emotional seeing
her
> >clones. Perlman says"must be a chick thing" .
>
> "Who are you?"
> "I'm the monster's mother."

That was good too. I really liked Alien Ressurection.

Jim

elzinator
September 20th 04, 03:17 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:13:12 GMT, No Frills wrote:
>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:36:02 -0500, elzinator
> wrote:

>>>and
>>>replaced

>>>If they're dropping acid they might be used to it by now.
>>>It is an interesting mental image though.
>>
>>It is. I'm still not sure where the big feet fit in yet.

>>>In that case, may you have much deadliftitude apon the sabath.
>>
>>Yea, lo Sunday is indeed the Sabbath of the Deadlift!!
>>And my new gym has TOO MANY powerlifters.
>>In the time I was there (a bit over an hour), there were 7, yes 7 of
>>us deadlifting.
>>
>>At one time, there were 2 DLers in front (nearest to the wall), one
>>PLer squatting using the monolith, then me DLing behind the monolith.
>>It was like a DL sandwich with squats as the burger (or cheese, take
>>your pick). We all tried to time our sets so that we didn't interfere
>>with each other. What a traffic jam.
>
>Do you mean 'monolift'? Isn't a monolith a rock or something?

Yes. I confess I suffered from Deadlift-induced coma when I typed that
post :)

>---
>No-no-no in the squat rack!!

No-no-no in the deadlifts out of the squat rack!

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:26:09 -0400, Jim wrote:

>"No Frills" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:36:02 -0500, elzinator
>> > wrote:

>you

>> >It is. I'm still not sure where the big feet fit in yet.

>> >Yea, lo Sunday is indeed the Sabbath of the Deadlift!!
>> >And my new gym has TOO MANY powerlifters.
>> >In the time I was there (a bit over an hour), there were 7, yes 7 of
>> >us deadlifting.
>> >
>> >At one time, there were 2 DLers in front (nearest to the wall), one
>> >PLer squatting using the monolith, then me DLing behind the monolith.
>> >It was like a DL sandwich with squats as the burger (or cheese, take
>> >your pick). We all tried to time our sets so that we didn't interfere
>> >with each other. What a traffic jam.
>>
>> Do you mean 'monolift'? Isn't a monolith a rock or something?
>
>It's a large black domino on the surface of the moon.

With the fetus floating in the atmosphere above it.

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

Jim
September 20th 04, 03:32 AM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:26:09 -0400, Jim wrote:
> >
> >"No Frills" > wrote in message
> >> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:36:02 -0500, elzinator

> >you

> >> Do you mean 'monolift'? Isn't a monolith a rock or something?
> >
> >It's a large black domino on the surface of the moon.
>
> With the fetus floating in the atmosphere above it.

What the hell was that suppose to mean?

Jim

Jim
September 20th 04, 03:51 AM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:32:25 -0400, Jim wrote:

> >> With the fetus floating in the atmosphere above it.
> >>
> >What the hell was that suppose to mean?
>
> I assumed you were referring to the movie "2001". Yes?

Yes..great movie..but im a bit stupid. Were they talking about nuclear war.?
I just didnt get the ending..it seemed very like a time parable. The sequel
dealt with world peace.

Jim

elzinator
September 20th 04, 03:52 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:32:25 -0400, Jim wrote:

>"elzinator" > wrote in message

>> >It's a large black domino on the surface of the moon.
>>
>> With the fetus floating in the atmosphere above it.
>>
>What the hell was that suppose to mean?

I assumed you were referring to the movie "2001". Yes?

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

Pete
September 20th 04, 03:54 AM
Jim wrote:
>> "elzinator" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:26:09 -0400, Jim wrote:

>>> It's a large black domino on the surface of the moon.
>>
>> With the fetus floating in the atmosphere above it.
>>
> What the hell was that suppose to mean?
>
> Jim

Jeez. You're kidding, right? After all, you're the one who made the first
reference.

---

Jim
September 20th 04, 03:59 AM
"Pete" > wrote in message
> Jim wrote:

> >> With the fetus floating in the atmosphere above it.
> >>
> > What the hell was that suppose to mean?
> >
> > Jim
>
> Jeez. You're kidding, right? After all, you're the one who made the first
> reference.

Not exactly,I never read the book by Arthur Clark. I'm sorry my interest is
upsetting. I tend to use MFW as a learning thing if I didnt know before.

Jim

John M. Williams
September 20th 04, 04:05 AM
"Pete" > wrote:

>Jim wrote:

>>> With the fetus floating in the atmosphere above it.
>>>
>> What the hell was that suppose to mean?
>
>Jeez. You're kidding, right? After all, you're the one who made the first
>reference.

Maybe he meant the one on Europa.

Jim
September 20th 04, 04:15 AM
"John M. Williams" > wrote in message

> >> What the hell was that suppose to mean?
> >
> >Jeez. You're kidding, right? After all, you're the one who made the first
> >reference.
>
> Maybe he meant the one on Europa.

Still no proof of water.

Jim(still hoping)

Pete
September 20th 04, 05:02 AM
Jim wrote:

>>> What the hell was that suppose to mean?
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> Jeez. You're kidding, right? After all, you're the one who made the
>> first reference.
>>
> Not exactly,I never read the book by Arthur Clark. I'm sorry my
> interest is upsetting. I tend to use MFW as a learning thing if I
> didnt know before.

Your tone implied Elzi was being negative or sarcastic, when in fact she was
simply expanding on the reference you originally made.

---

Jim
September 20th 04, 05:09 AM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:02:38 -0700, Pete wrote:
> >Jim wrote:

> >> Not exactly,I never read the book by Arthur Clark. I'm sorry my
> >> interest is upsetting. I tend to use MFW as a learning thing if I
> >> didnt know before.
> >
> >Your tone implied Elzi was being negative or sarcastic, when in fact she
was
> >simply expanding on the reference you originally made.
>
> I didn't infer sarcasm in Jim's response. Only that he didn't catch
> the expanded reference. The humor was lost on him and he was instead
> puzzled. Odd that he doesn't remember the fetus from the movies,
> though. The "2001" movie references are classic.

I do remember and quit trying to make me feel like an idiot. Although,I did
a good job of that myself. :}

Jim

elzinator
September 20th 04, 05:10 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:02:38 -0700, Pete wrote:
>Jim wrote:

>>> Jeez. You're kidding, right? After all, you're the one who made the
>>> first reference.
>>>
>> Not exactly,I never read the book by Arthur Clark. I'm sorry my
>> interest is upsetting. I tend to use MFW as a learning thing if I
>> didnt know before.
>
>Your tone implied Elzi was being negative or sarcastic, when in fact she was
>simply expanding on the reference you originally made.

I didn't infer sarcasm in Jim's response. Only that he didn't catch
the expanded reference. The humor was lost on him and he was instead
puzzled. Odd that he doesn't remember the fetus from the movies,
though. The "2001" movie references are classic.

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

Don
September 20th 04, 05:29 AM
In article >, says...

>"elzinator" > wrote in message

>monolith.
>take
>interfere

>> >What the hell was that suppose to mean?
>>
>> I assumed you were referring to the movie "2001". Yes?
>>
>Yes..great movie..but im a bit stupid. Were they talking about nuclear war.?
>I just didnt get the ending..it seemed very like a time parable. The sequel
>dealt with world peace.
>
>Jim

3 million BC. Monolith shows up. Apes become human
2001 AD. Monolith shows up. Humans take next step in evolution.
Ending? No one understands the ending, because they're still human.
Do apes understand the jokes in "Three's Company"?

The sequel sucked. Dr. Chandra, HAL's creator, should have been Asian-Indian,
not jewish. There was no mystery in the sequel. Almost as disappointing as the
film version of "Dune".

No Frills
September 20th 04, 06:59 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:17:10 -0500, elzinator
> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:13:12 GMT, No Frills wrote:
>>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:36:02 -0500, elzinator
> wrote:

>>>It is. I'm still not sure where the big feet fit in yet.

>>>Yea, lo Sunday is indeed the Sabbath of the Deadlift!!
>>>And my new gym has TOO MANY powerlifters.
>>>In the time I was there (a bit over an hour), there were 7, yes 7 of
>>>us deadlifting.
>>>
>>>At one time, there were 2 DLers in front (nearest to the wall), one
>>>PLer squatting using the monolith, then me DLing behind the monolith.
>>>It was like a DL sandwich with squats as the burger (or cheese, take
>>>your pick). We all tried to time our sets so that we didn't interfere
>>>with each other. What a traffic jam.
>>
>>Do you mean 'monolift'? Isn't a monolith a rock or something?
>
>Yes. I confess I suffered from Deadlift-induced coma when I typed that
>post :)

Here's a great big monolith:

http://www.crystalinks.com/ayersrock.html

---
No-no-no in the squat rack!!

Helgi Briem
September 20th 04, 10:43 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:36:02 -0500, elzinator
> wrote:

>>Ron Pearlman ... he ain't little!
>
>He's a very big man, very big boned (I mean that with all
>seriousness). I continue to wonder if he had or has acromegaly.
>(overproduction of growth hormone)
>
>He plays great villains.

Great heroes too. In "The City of Lost Children, a
superb, surreal horror/fantasy, he plays "One",
a circus strongman who has to rescue children
from a mad scientist who wants to steal their
dreams.

I agree, he almost certainly has acromegaly. He
has the look.

Oh, yeah, it's "Perlman", not Pearlman.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Elzinator
September 20th 04, 03:16 PM
Helgi Briem > wrote in message >...
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:36:02 -0500, elzinator
> > wrote:
>
> >>Ron Pearlman ... he ain't little!
> >
> >He's a very big man, very big boned (I mean that with all
> >seriousness). I continue to wonder if he had or has acromegaly.
> >(overproduction of growth hormone)
> >
> >He plays great villains.
>
> Great heroes too. In "The City of Lost Children, a
> superb, surreal horror/fantasy, he plays "One",
> a circus strongman who has to rescue children
> from a mad scientist who wants to steal their
> dreams.

I haven't seen that one. Will have to rent that some time.

> I agree, he almost certainly has acromegaly. He
> has the look.

I have wondered about this for years (to the point that I would ask
him if I met him "Great meeting you, Mr. Perlman. Um, by the way,
would you mind if I took a blood sample?")

> Oh, yeah, it's "Perlman", not Pearlman.

I know. I wasn't in the mood to nitpick Jim. He gets enough of it from
others ;)

DRS
September 20th 04, 03:21 PM
"Elzinator" > wrote in message
om
> Helgi Briem > wrote in message

[...]

>> Great heroes too. In "The City of Lost Children, a
>> superb, surreal horror/fantasy, he plays "One",
>> a circus strongman who has to rescue children
>> from a mad scientist who wants to steal their
>> dreams.
>
> I haven't seen that one. Will have to rent that some time.

Do it. It's French SF-noir. You should love it.

--

"Self-delusion as a coping tool has always been a fairly useful strategy for
me."

bc
September 20th 04, 03:46 PM
(Don) wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s02>...
> In article >, says...

> monolith.
> take
> interfere

> >> I assumed you were referring to the movie "2001". Yes?
> >>
> >Yes..great movie..but im a bit stupid. Were they talking about nuclear war.?
> >I just didnt get the ending..it seemed very like a time parable. The sequel
> >dealt with world peace.
> >
> >Jim
> >

> 3 million BC. Monolith shows up. Apes become human
> 2001 AD. Monolith shows up. Humans take next step in evolution.
> Ending? No one understands the ending, because they're still human.
> Do apes understand the jokes in "Three's Company"?
>
> The sequel sucked. Dr. Chandra, HAL's creator, should have been Asian-Indian,
> not jewish. There was no mystery in the sequel. Almost as disappointing as the
> film version of "Dune".

No, I reserve a special dark place in my heart for Dune. I found that
movie so disappointing as to be definitive of bad cinema. They took
one of my all time favorite books and made my all time most hated
film. I wish I'd never seen it.

- bc

Proton Soup
September 20th 04, 04:01 PM
On 20 Sep 2004 07:46:13 -0700, (bc)
wrote:

(Don) wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s02>...

>> monolith.
>> take
>> interfere

>> >Yes..great movie..but im a bit stupid. Were they talking about nuclear war.?
>> >I just didnt get the ending..it seemed very like a time parable. The sequel
>> >dealt with world peace.
>> >
>> >Jim
>> >

>> 3 million BC. Monolith shows up. Apes become human
>> 2001 AD. Monolith shows up. Humans take next step in evolution.
>> Ending? No one understands the ending, because they're still human.
>> Do apes understand the jokes in "Three's Company"?

Eh, almost. I believe the monoliths were actually human advancement
detectors. The monolith was already there each time, but when man
reached a certain stage in development, like say, landing on the moon,
the monolith would become active to alert/warn the aliens on Europa of
the advancement of man. I haven't read the books, though, so maybe
I'm missing something.

>> The sequel sucked. Dr. Chandra, HAL's creator, should have been Asian-Indian,
>> not jewish. There was no mystery in the sequel. Almost as disappointing as the
>> film version of "Dune".
>
>No, I reserve a special dark place in my heart for Dune. I found that
>movie so disappointing as to be definitive of bad cinema. They took
>one of my all time favorite books and made my all time most hated
>film. I wish I'd never seen it.

You didn't even like Sting's performance?

There's been another movie version of Dune also. I think it played
on the SciFi channel, once.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

bc
September 20th 04, 04:02 PM
Helgi Briem > wrote in message >...
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:36:02 -0500, elzinator
> > wrote:
>
> >>Ron Pearlman ... he ain't little!
> >
> >He's a very big man, very big boned (I mean that with all
> >seriousness). I continue to wonder if he had or has acromegaly.
> >(overproduction of growth hormone)
> >
> >He plays great villains.
>
> Great heroes too. In "The City of Lost Children, a
> superb, surreal horror/fantasy, he plays "One",
> a circus strongman who has to rescue children
> from a mad scientist who wants to steal their
> dreams.
>
> I agree, he almost certainly has acromegaly. He
> has the look.
>
> Oh, yeah, it's "Perlman", not Pearlman.

Anyone remember him in "The Last Supper?" He played a politician who
was the first victim I think.

- bc

Lyle McDonald
September 20th 04, 04:27 PM
Proton Soup wrote:

> You didn't even like Sting's performance?

He didn't bend like a reed in the wind.

> There's been another movie version of Dune also. I think it played
> on the SciFi channel, once.

It was much, much closer to the book. In that it took them 6 hours to
tell the story, this is not surprising.

It also had the production values of your average high school theater
production. When they are walking along sand dunes and you can tell
that the backdrop is exactly that, well, Sci-fi should really stick to
just buying other people's shows if you ask me.

Dune the movie (the original) was incomprehensible to me until I read
the book many years later. Then I finally understood what in the hell
was going on.

Lyle

John M. Williams
September 20th 04, 06:51 PM
(bc) wrote:
(Don) wrote:

>> 3 million BC. Monolith shows up. Apes become human
>> 2001 AD. Monolith shows up. Humans take next step in evolution.
>> Ending? No one understands the ending, because they're still human.
>> Do apes understand the jokes in "Three's Company"?
>>
>> The sequel sucked. Dr. Chandra, HAL's creator, should have been Asian-Indian,
>> not jewish. There was no mystery in the sequel. Almost as disappointing as the
>> film version of "Dune".
>
>No, I reserve a special dark place in my heart for Dune. I found that
>movie so disappointing as to be definitive of bad cinema. They took
>one of my all time favorite books and made my all time most hated
>film. I wish I'd never seen it.

Geez. Get over it. I love Frank Herbert's stuff. I love David
Lynch's stuff. Their visions are different. I look at the movie as a
separate entity, and I still enjoy watching it.

The SciFi Channel's Dune / Dune Messiah / Children of Dune series was
truer to the books also a lot more boring.

Books and movies are different media; what plays well with the former
often needs a lot more when transmuted to the latter.

Mick R.
September 20th 04, 09:30 PM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:47:55 +1000, Mick R. wrote:

> >and
> >replaced
> >>
> >> I suspect the big gorillas in the new gym would be alarmed by the big
> >> lips on the bumper plates spewing forth cellular signaling pathways
> >> and the giant gesturing hands attached to the bar. :)
> >>
> >If they're dropping acid they might be used to it by now.
> >It is an interesting mental image though.
>
> It is. I'm still not sure where the big feet fit in yet.

In Boots with spurs?

> >> 'Deadliftitude'........ I like that........
> >>
> >In that case, may you have much deadliftitude apon the sabath.
>
> Yea, lo Sunday is indeed the Sabbath of the Deadlift!!
> And my new gym has TOO MANY powerlifters.
> In the time I was there (a bit over an hour), there were 7, yes 7 of
> us deadlifting.
>
> At one time, there were 2 DLers in front (nearest to the wall), one
> PLer squatting using the monolith, then me DLing behind the monolith.
> It was like a DL sandwich with squats as the burger (or cheese, take
> your pick). We all tried to time our sets so that we didn't interfere
> with each other. What a traffic jam.
>
> Ironically, one of the PLers asked me why I was pausing with the bar
> near the floor. I breathlessly sputtered out "pause deadlifts". His
> eyebrows went up and he said "Oooh, so you're a masochist!?"
>
> The DL Mass was followed by a big 3/4 lb burger without the bun and a
> salad.
>
> Now I'm ready to sleep.

<green jealous glow>

I still have to explain what I'm doing in the "squat" rack with the bar
across my shoulders, let alone that bizare thing where I pick a loaded bar
up from the ground.

> >> BTW, I know it will take awhile for the movie tape to float over to
> >> Aussie Island, but when it does, you have to go see "Sky Captain"
> >> It was awesome.
> >>
> >I saw some posters for it when we went to see Hellboy.
>
> Great imagery!! Low in character development, but it is worth seeing.
> Angeline Jollie kicks ass in her fetish military garb. She needs an
> honorary penis in that movie. :)
>
> >Ron Pearlman ... he ain't little!
>
> He's a very big man, very big boned (I mean that with all
> seriousness). I continue to wonder if he had or has acromegaly.
> (overproduction of growth hormone)

The facial structure gave them a great base for the Hellboy makeup.

> He plays great villains.
>
> "What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
> you weren't thinking?"
> - Inspector Raymond Fowler

ray miller
September 20th 04, 10:09 PM
>I have wondered about this for years (to the point that I would ask
>him if I met him "<snip> by the way,
>would you mind if I took a blood sample?")

You seem to say that to all the guys :)

Ray
--
rmnsuk
273/187/182

bc
September 20th 04, 11:36 PM
Lyle McDonald > wrote in message >...
> Proton Soup wrote:
>
> > You didn't even like Sting's performance?
>
> He didn't bend like a reed in the wind.
>

> > There's been another movie version of Dune also. I think it played
> > on the SciFi channel, once.
>
> It was much, much closer to the book. In that it took them 6 hours to
> tell the story, this is not surprising.
>
> It also had the production values of your average high school theater
> production. When they are walking along sand dunes and you can tell
> that the backdrop is exactly that, well, Sci-fi should really stick to
> just buying other people's shows if you ask me.
>
> Dune the movie (the original) was incomprehensible to me until I read
> the book many years later. Then I finally understood what in the hell
> was going on.

Yup. I went to the movie with two college roommates, one who knew the
books well, as I did, and one who hadn't read them. The poor guy who
hadn't read them was stuck in the middle between us and not only did
he not understand any of it, but he had to listen to us editorialize
through the whole thing. He didn't want to go to any more moview with
us after that.

- bc

bc
September 20th 04, 11:42 PM
John M. Williams > wrote in message >...
> (bc) wrote:
> (Don) wrote:
> >>
> >> 3 million BC. Monolith shows up. Apes become human
> >> 2001 AD. Monolith shows up. Humans take next step in evolution.
> >> Ending? No one understands the ending, because they're still human.
> >> Do apes understand the jokes in "Three's Company"?
> >>
> >> The sequel sucked. Dr. Chandra, HAL's creator, should have been Asian-Indian,
> >> not jewish. There was no mystery in the sequel. Almost as disappointing as the
> >> film version of "Dune".
> >
> >No, I reserve a special dark place in my heart for Dune. I found that
> >movie so disappointing as to be definitive of bad cinema. They took
> >one of my all time favorite books and made my all time most hated
> >film. I wish I'd never seen it.
>
> Geez. Get over it. I love Frank Herbert's stuff. I love David
> Lynch's stuff. Their visions are different. I look at the movie as a
> separate entity, and I still enjoy watching it.

I find myself unable to separate them in this case. Probably if I
hadn't loved the book so much in my impressionable years, but the
worship factor was too strong. I saw a piece of it many years later
once on TV, it still sucked and I changed the channel. Some books
should be left as books I suspect. I think Herbert was on the set as
a consultant, which really leaves me wondering what the hell he was
thinking, but I suspect he didn't have much control.

> Books and movies are different media; what plays well with the former
> often needs a lot more when transmuted to the latter.

Yup.

As a side note, I used to wonder if the same was true with Lord of the
Rings. I saw the cartoon versions of old, not great, and wondered why
a really good version couldn't be made. Turns out, it could. I just
had to wait.

- bc

John M. Williams
September 21st 04, 02:39 AM
(bc) wrote:
>John M. Williams > wrote:
>> (bc) wrote:

>> >No, I reserve a special dark place in my heart for Dune. I found that
>> >movie so disappointing as to be definitive of bad cinema. They took
>> >one of my all time favorite books and made my all time most hated
>> >film. I wish I'd never seen it.
>>
>> Geez. Get over it. I love Frank Herbert's stuff. I love David
>> Lynch's stuff. Their visions are different. I look at the movie as a
>> separate entity, and I still enjoy watching it.
>
>I find myself unable to separate them in this case. Probably if I
>hadn't loved the book so much in my impressionable years, but the
>worship factor was too strong. I saw a piece of it many years later
>once on TV, it still sucked and I changed the channel. Some books
>should be left as books I suspect. I think Herbert was on the set as
>a consultant, which really leaves me wondering what the hell he was
>thinking, but I suspect he didn't have much control.
>

>> Books and movies are different media; what plays well with the former
>> often needs a lot more when transmuted to the latter.
>
>Yup.
>
>As a side note, I used to wonder if the same was true with Lord of the
>Rings. I saw the cartoon versions of old, not great, and wondered why
>a really good version couldn't be made. Turns out, it could. I just
>had to wait.

Yet some LOTR fanatics feel the same way about the films that you do
about "Dune."

FWIW, I have read all of Frank Herbert's "Dune" series (haven't
started on the Brian Herbert stuff), and I've seen nearly all of David
Lynch's major films. I'm a big fan of both. "Dune" just happened to
be a place where the two overlapped.

elzinator
September 21st 04, 02:42 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:09:07 GMT, ray miller wrote:
>>I have wondered about this for years (to the point that I would ask
>>him if I met him "<snip> by the way,
>>would you mind if I took a blood sample?")
>
>You seem to say that to all the guys :)

Alas, I cannot deny that I am a science nerd above all else......

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 06:30:09 +1000, Mick R. wrote:

>"elzinator" > wrote in message

>> >and
>> >replaced

>> >If they're dropping acid they might be used to it by now.
>> >It is an interesting mental image though.
>>
>> It is. I'm still not sure where the big feet fit in yet.
>>
>In Boots with spurs?

Naw, shouldn't squat with yer spurs on. (or deadlift, either)

>I still have to explain what I'm doing in the "squat" rack with the bar
>across my shoulders, let alone that bizare thing where I pick a loaded bar
>up from the ground.

What an opportunity to fool the masses with some weird exotic tales.
Tell them its a religious ritual, cleansing of the body and soul
sort-of thing, make up a religion (or use the Deadlift Cult with the
Book of the Deadlift).

I would so have fun with that..........

>> >Ron Pearlman ... he ain't little!
>>
>> He's a very big man, very big boned (I mean that with all
>> seriousness). I continue to wonder if he had or has acromegaly.
>> (overproduction of growth hormone)
>>

>The facial structure gave them a great base for the Hellboy makeup.

And he played the part oh so well :)

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

elzinator
September 21st 04, 02:42 AM
On 20 Sep 2004 07:46:13 -0700, bc wrote:

>> 3 million BC. Monolith shows up. Apes become human
>> 2001 AD. Monolith shows up. Humans take next step in evolution.
>> Ending? No one understands the ending, because they're still human.
>> Do apes understand the jokes in "Three's Company"?
>>
>> The sequel sucked. Dr. Chandra, HAL's creator, should have been Asian-Indian,
>> not jewish. There was no mystery in the sequel. Almost as disappointing as the
>> film version of "Dune".
>
>No, I reserve a special dark place in my heart for Dune. I found that
>movie so disappointing as to be definitive of bad cinema. They took
>one of my all time favorite books and made my all time most hated
>film. I wish I'd never seen it.

I have to agree with you there. Which is why I held off for many years
NOT seeing the movie. The first few books are revered. I suspected
that a movie would fall way short of imparting the nuances in the book
and I was right. Didn't like the movie at all.

I've seen other movies based on books (where I've read the book first)
that departed from the book that were acceptable, but that wasn't.

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

Don
September 21st 04, 03:23 AM
>> 3 million BC. Monolith shows up. Apes become human
>> 2001 AD. Monolith shows up. Humans take next step in evolution.
>> Ending? No one understands the ending, because they're still human.
>> Do apes understand the jokes in "Three's Company"?
>>
>> The sequel sucked. Dr. Chandra, HAL's creator, should have been
Asian-Indian,
>> not jewish. There was no mystery in the sequel. Almost as disappointing as
the

>> film version of "Dune".
>
>No, I reserve a special dark place in my heart for Dune. I found that
>movie so disappointing as to be definitive of bad cinema. They took
>one of my all time favorite books and made my all time most hated
>film. I wish I'd never seen it.
>
>- bc

"Dune" was sooo disappointing to me because not only did they make a bad film,
but the wasted the talent of a fantastic cast. Max Von Sydow -"The Seventh
Seal", etc.; Linda Hunt- "The Year of Living Dangerously" ( I thought she WAS
a man).
I did make up a joke/catch phrase, though. "Because HE IS the quizzical
hatrack!".

Don
September 21st 04, 03:31 AM
In article >,
says...

>On 20 Sep 2004 07:46:13 -0700, (bc)
>wrote:

(Don) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]
>bi_s02>...
>>> In article >,
says...

>>> monolith.
>>> take
>>> interfere

>>> 3 million BC. Monolith shows up. Apes become human
>>> 2001 AD. Monolith shows up. Humans take next step in evolution.
>>> Ending? No one understands the ending, because they're still human.
>>> Do apes understand the jokes in "Three's Company"?
>
>Eh, almost. I believe the monoliths were actually human advancement
>detectors. The monolith was already there each time, but when man
>reached a certain stage in development, like say, landing on the moon,
>the monolith would become active to alert/warn the aliens on Europa of
>the advancement of man. I haven't read the books, though, so maybe
>I'm missing something.
>
>>> The sequel sucked. Dr. Chandra, HAL's creator, should have been
Asian-Indian,

>>> not jewish. There was no mystery in the sequel. Almost as disappointing as
th
>>> film version of "Dune".
>>
>>No, I reserve a special dark place in my heart for Dune. I found that
>>movie so disappointing as to be definitive of bad cinema. They took
>>one of my all time favorite books and made my all time most hated
>>film. I wish I'd never seen it.
>
>You didn't even like Sting's performance?
>
>There's been another movie version of Dune also. I think it played
>on the SciFi channel, once.
>
>-----------
>Proton Soup
>
>"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

I agree that the luna monolith was a detector; as soon as the lunar sunrise
hit it, a signal was sent to Jupiter. But the ape's 'lith made funny noises,
and scared most of the apes. When they touched the Monolith, they seemed to
"get ideas". The band of apes that met the Monolith became, overnight, the
tool users, AFTER they met the monolith. The other band got beat up.
Dave went thru his changes after he flew the pod to the Jupiter Monolith.

Don
September 21st 04, 03:36 AM
"What would happen if <x> was taken to it's infinite
>> > conclusion?"
>>
>> Can an infinite conclusion ever be reached?

If you go infinitly fast, yes. Calc. 101

Proton Soup
September 21st 04, 04:15 AM

(Don) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]
>>bi_s02>...
>says...

>one

>war.?
>sequel

>>Eh, almost. I believe the monoliths were actually human advancement
>>detectors. The monolith was already there each time, but when man
>>reached a certain stage in development, like say, landing on the moon,
>>the monolith would become active to alert/warn the aliens on Europa of
>>the advancement of man. I haven't read the books, though, so maybe
>>I'm missing something.

>Asian-Indian,

>th
>>>
>>>No, I reserve a special dark place in my heart for Dune. I found that
>>>movie so disappointing as to be definitive of bad cinema. They took
>>>one of my all time favorite books and made my all time most hated
>>>film. I wish I'd never seen it.
>>
>>You didn't even like Sting's performance?
>>
>>There's been another movie version of Dune also. I think it played
>>on the SciFi channel, once.
>>
>>-----------
>>Proton Soup
>>
>>"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."
>
>I agree that the luna monolith was a detector; as soon as the lunar sunrise
>hit it, a signal was sent to Jupiter. But the ape's 'lith made funny noises,
>and scared most of the apes. When they touched the Monolith, they seemed to
>"get ideas". The band of apes that met the Monolith became, overnight, the
>tool users, AFTER they met the monolith. The other band got beat up.
>Dave went thru his changes after he flew the pod to the Jupiter Monolith.

Your memory is better than mine. :)

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

bc
September 21st 04, 04:21 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:39:08 -0400, John M. Williams

(bc) wrote:
>>John M. Williams > wrote:
>>> (bc) wrote:

>>> Geez. Get over it. I love Frank Herbert's stuff. I love David
>>> Lynch's stuff. Their visions are different. I look at the movie as a
>>> separate entity, and I still enjoy watching it.
>>
>>I find myself unable to separate them in this case. Probably if I
>>hadn't loved the book so much in my impressionable years, but the
>>worship factor was too strong. I saw a piece of it many years later
>>once on TV, it still sucked and I changed the channel. Some books
>>should be left as books I suspect. I think Herbert was on the set as
>>a consultant, which really leaves me wondering what the hell he was
>>thinking, but I suspect he didn't have much control.
>>

>>> Books and movies are different media; what plays well with the former
>>> often needs a lot more when transmuted to the latter.
>>
>>Yup.
>>
>>As a side note, I used to wonder if the same was true with Lord of the
>>Rings. I saw the cartoon versions of old, not great, and wondered why
>>a really good version couldn't be made. Turns out, it could. I just
>>had to wait.
>
>Yet some LOTR fanatics feel the same way about the films that you do
>about "Dune."

Probably. It's a big world out there. I thought they were pretty
good, but I'm not a LOTR cultist either - only read the trilogy 2 or 3
times.

>FWIW, I have read all of Frank Herbert's "Dune" series (haven't
>started on the Brian Herbert stuff), and I've seen nearly all of David
>Lynch's major films. I'm a big fan of both. "Dune" just happened to
>be a place where the two overlapped.

I started to lose it after the 3rd book. I thought the first was the
best, the first 3 hung together, and that's all I read. I should go
back and redo them all then check out the rest I suppose. I hope it
doesn't ruin the awe from all those years ago though. Dune, the first
book, was a masterpiece of imagination. It clicked for me in so many
ways.

- bc

Lee Michaels
September 21st 04, 04:42 AM
"bc" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:39:08 -0400, John M. Williams
> > wrote:
>
> (bc) wrote:

Asian-Indian,

> >>I find myself unable to separate them in this case. Probably if I
> >>hadn't loved the book so much in my impressionable years, but the
> >>worship factor was too strong. I saw a piece of it many years later
> >>once on TV, it still sucked and I changed the channel. Some books
> >>should be left as books I suspect. I think Herbert was on the set as
> >>a consultant, which really leaves me wondering what the hell he was
> >>thinking, but I suspect he didn't have much control.

> >>Yup.
> >>
> >>As a side note, I used to wonder if the same was true with Lord of the
> >>Rings. I saw the cartoon versions of old, not great, and wondered why
> >>a really good version couldn't be made. Turns out, it could. I just
> >>had to wait.
> >
> >Yet some LOTR fanatics feel the same way about the films that you do
> >about "Dune."
> >

> Probably. It's a big world out there. I thought they were pretty
> good, but I'm not a LOTR cultist either - only read the trilogy 2 or 3
> times.
>
> >FWIW, I have read all of Frank Herbert's "Dune" series (haven't
> >started on the Brian Herbert stuff), and I've seen nearly all of David
> >Lynch's major films. I'm a big fan of both. "Dune" just happened to
> >be a place where the two overlapped.
>
> I started to lose it after the 3rd book. I thought the first was the
> best, the first 3 hung together, and that's all I read. I should go
> back and redo them all then check out the rest I suppose. I hope it
> doesn't ruin the awe from all those years ago though. Dune, the first
> book, was a masterpiece of imagination. It clicked for me in so many
> ways.

OK, all this talk about Dune and Frank Herbert. I read them all. And I agree
that the original Dune was the best.

But the best Frank Herbert book, IMHO, is The Dosadi Experiment. I have
gone back and read this book at least twenty times. And I get a different
take on it every time. Frank Herbert wrote a small book called The Whipping
Star. Which introduces the main character in The Dosadi Experiment. But the
big book is far better than the little intro whipping star.

Anyway, The Dosadi Experiment has it all. Intrigue, secret organiztions,
Godwalls, the frog people (the Gowachians), a small war, a new form of law,
legums, an extreme social experiment, Calabeans and the Courtarena.

And told with the same mastery as Dune. You get to experience a different
universe, compliments of the late Frank Herbert.

Lee Michaels

John M. Williams
September 21st 04, 07:33 AM

(bc) wrote:

>>>I find myself unable to separate them in this case. Probably if I
>>>hadn't loved the book so much in my impressionable years, but the
>>>worship factor was too strong. I saw a piece of it many years later
>>>once on TV, it still sucked and I changed the channel. Some books
>>>should be left as books I suspect. I think Herbert was on the set as
>>>a consultant, which really leaves me wondering what the hell he was
>>>thinking, but I suspect he didn't have much control.

>>>Yup.
>>>
>>>As a side note, I used to wonder if the same was true with Lord of the
>>>Rings. I saw the cartoon versions of old, not great, and wondered why
>>>a really good version couldn't be made. Turns out, it could. I just
>>>had to wait.
>>
>>Yet some LOTR fanatics feel the same way about the films that you do
>>about "Dune."
>>

>Probably. It's a big world out there. I thought they were pretty
>good, but I'm not a LOTR cultist either - only read the trilogy 2 or 3
>times.
>
>>FWIW, I have read all of Frank Herbert's "Dune" series (haven't
>>started on the Brian Herbert stuff), and I've seen nearly all of David
>>Lynch's major films. I'm a big fan of both. "Dune" just happened to
>>be a place where the two overlapped.
>
>I started to lose it after the 3rd book. I thought the first was the
>best, the first 3 hung together, and that's all I read. I should go
>back and redo them all then check out the rest I suppose. I hope it
>doesn't ruin the awe from all those years ago though. Dune, the first
>book, was a masterpiece of imagination. It clicked for me in so many
>ways.

IMHO, the hit hit bottom with the fourth book, God Emperor of Dune,
but rose again with Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune.

I was always fascinated with the intrigue of Dune: everyone with a
long-term agenda, attempting to predict and manipulate the actions of
others while planning actions the others would not expect.

John M. Williams
September 21st 04, 07:35 AM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote:

>"bc" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:39:08 -0400, John M. Williams
>> > wrote:

>Asian-Indian,
>disappointing as the

>that

>> >Yet some LOTR fanatics feel the same way about the films that you do
>> >about "Dune."
>> >

>> Probably. It's a big world out there. I thought they were pretty
>> good, but I'm not a LOTR cultist either - only read the trilogy 2 or 3
>> times.
>>
>> >FWIW, I have read all of Frank Herbert's "Dune" series (haven't
>> >started on the Brian Herbert stuff), and I've seen nearly all of David
>> >Lynch's major films. I'm a big fan of both. "Dune" just happened to
>> >be a place where the two overlapped.
>>
>> I started to lose it after the 3rd book. I thought the first was the
>> best, the first 3 hung together, and that's all I read. I should go
>> back and redo them all then check out the rest I suppose. I hope it
>> doesn't ruin the awe from all those years ago though. Dune, the first
>> book, was a masterpiece of imagination. It clicked for me in so many
>> ways.
>>

>OK, all this talk about Dune and Frank Herbert. I read them all. And I agree
>that the original Dune was the best.
>
>But the best Frank Herbert book, IMHO, is The Dosadi Experiment. I have
>gone back and read this book at least twenty times. And I get a different
>take on it every time. Frank Herbert wrote a small book called The Whipping
>Star. Which introduces the main character in The Dosadi Experiment. But the
>big book is far better than the little intro whipping star.
>
>Anyway, The Dosadi Experiment has it all. Intrigue, secret organiztions,
>Godwalls, the frog people (the Gowachians), a small war, a new form of law,
>legums, an extreme social experiment, Calabeans and the Courtarena.
>
>And told with the same mastery as Dune. You get to experience a different
>universe, compliments of the late Frank Herbert.

The only other Herbert book which fascinated me was The White Plague:
an idea so unspeakable and horrifying that nobody ever talks about it.

Mick R.
September 21st 04, 10:34 AM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 06:30:09 +1000, Mick R. wrote:

> >> It is. I'm still not sure where the big feet fit in yet.
> >>
> >In Boots with spurs?
>
> Naw, shouldn't squat with yer spurs on. (or deadlift, either)

Good incentive to only make legal depth.

I'm very unhappy, the sides have gone in my R.M. Williams boots. I've had
them for 17 years and the sides only went in them in the last month or so.

Very unhappy.

> >I still have to explain what I'm doing in the "squat" rack with the bar
> >across my shoulders, let alone that bizare thing where I pick a loaded
bar
> >up from the ground.
>
> What an opportunity to fool the masses with some weird exotic tales.
> Tell them its a religious ritual, cleansing of the body and soul
> sort-of thing, make up a religion (or use the Deadlift Cult with the
> Book of the Deadlift).
>
> I would so have fun with that..........

You just like messing with people's heads. Not that that's a bad thing mind
you.
I can hardly wait for the looks should I start pause-deadlifts. I'll be
priceless!

> >> He's a very big man, very big boned (I mean that with all
> >> seriousness). I continue to wonder if he had or has acromegaly.
> >> (overproduction of growth hormone)
> >>

> >The facial structure gave them a great base for the Hellboy makeup.
>
> And he played the part oh so well :)

Agreed.

BTW the Yellow Tail is interesting. Not as dry as most other Shiraz' I've
had, very fruity on the pallet. I don't notice any after-taste either.
I'ts not as full-bodied as Deb's fav Merlot but much better to drink while
I'm typing this. ;-)
--
Mick R.

Until you get pretty good at it, deadlifting is 90% half mental. - Wayne S.
Hill

> "What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
> you weren't thinking?"
> - Inspector Raymond Fowler

Mick R.
September 21st 04, 10:36 AM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
> On 20 Sep 2004 07:46:13 -0700, bc wrote:
>
> >> 3 million BC. Monolith shows up. Apes become human
> >> 2001 AD. Monolith shows up. Humans take next step in evolution.
> >> Ending? No one understands the ending, because they're still human.
> >> Do apes understand the jokes in "Three's Company"?
> >>
> >> The sequel sucked. Dr. Chandra, HAL's creator, should have been
Asian-Indian,
> >> not jewish. There was no mystery in the sequel. Almost as disappointing
as the
> >> film version of "Dune".
> >
> >No, I reserve a special dark place in my heart for Dune. I found that
> >movie so disappointing as to be definitive of bad cinema. They took
> >one of my all time favorite books and made my all time most hated
> >film. I wish I'd never seen it.
>
> I have to agree with you there. Which is why I held off for many years
> NOT seeing the movie. The first few books are revered. I suspected
> that a movie would fall way short of imparting the nuances in the book
> and I was right. Didn't like the movie at all.
>
> I've seen other movies based on books (where I've read the book first)
> that departed from the book that were acceptable, but that wasn't.

I treat it in much the same way as Starship Troopers. Same name different
story.
If you can pull off the head-trick it's easier to accept.

> "What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
> you weren't thinking?"
> - Inspector Raymond Fowler

bc
September 21st 04, 03:26 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message news:<3rN3d.473572$%[email protected]_s01>...
> "bc" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:39:08 -0400, John M. Williams
> > > wrote:

> Asian-Indian,
> disappointing as the

> that

> > >Yet some LOTR fanatics feel the same way about the films that you do
> > >about "Dune."
> > >

> > Probably. It's a big world out there. I thought they were pretty
> > good, but I'm not a LOTR cultist either - only read the trilogy 2 or 3
> > times.
> >
> > >FWIW, I have read all of Frank Herbert's "Dune" series (haven't
> > >started on the Brian Herbert stuff), and I've seen nearly all of David
> > >Lynch's major films. I'm a big fan of both. "Dune" just happened to
> > >be a place where the two overlapped.
> >
> > I started to lose it after the 3rd book. I thought the first was the
> > best, the first 3 hung together, and that's all I read. I should go
> > back and redo them all then check out the rest I suppose. I hope it
> > doesn't ruin the awe from all those years ago though. Dune, the first
> > book, was a masterpiece of imagination. It clicked for me in so many
> > ways.
> >

> OK, all this talk about Dune and Frank Herbert. I read them all. And I agree
> that the original Dune was the best.
>
> But the best Frank Herbert book, IMHO, is The Dosadi Experiment. I have
> gone back and read this book at least twenty times. And I get a different
> take on it every time. Frank Herbert wrote a small book called The Whipping
> Star. Which introduces the main character in The Dosadi Experiment. But the
> big book is far better than the little intro whipping star.
>
> Anyway, The Dosadi Experiment has it all. Intrigue, secret organiztions,
> Godwalls, the frog people (the Gowachians), a small war, a new form of law,
> legums, an extreme social experiment, Calabeans and the Courtarena.
>
> And told with the same mastery as Dune. You get to experience a different
> universe, compliments of the late Frank Herbert.
>
> Lee Michaels

I could've sworn I'd read The Dosadi Experiment, but none of that
rings a bell. Well, I was probably, like 12 or something, so my
comprehension was not at it's peak for that stuff. Time to pick it up
again I guess. Never seen The Whipping Star, sounds like a good intro
to get back into it.

- bc

Lee Michaels
September 21st 04, 03:46 PM
"bc" > wrote in message
om...
> "Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
news:<3rN3d.473572$%[email protected]_s01>...
> > "bc" > wrote in message
> > > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:39:08 -0400, John M. Williams

> > Asian-Indian,
> > disappointing as the

> > that

> > > Probably. It's a big world out there. I thought they were pretty
> > > good, but I'm not a LOTR cultist either - only read the trilogy 2 or 3
> > > times.

David

> > > I started to lose it after the 3rd book. I thought the first was the
> > > best, the first 3 hung together, and that's all I read. I should go
> > > back and redo them all then check out the rest I suppose. I hope it
> > > doesn't ruin the awe from all those years ago though. Dune, the first
> > > book, was a masterpiece of imagination. It clicked for me in so many
> > > ways.
> > >

> > OK, all this talk about Dune and Frank Herbert. I read them all. And I
agree
> > that the original Dune was the best.
> >
> > But the best Frank Herbert book, IMHO, is The Dosadi Experiment. I have
> > gone back and read this book at least twenty times. And I get a
different
> > take on it every time. Frank Herbert wrote a small book called The
Whipping
> > Star. Which introduces the main character in The Dosadi Experiment. But
the
> > big book is far better than the little intro whipping star.
> >
> > Anyway, The Dosadi Experiment has it all. Intrigue, secret
organiztions,
> > Godwalls, the frog people (the Gowachians), a small war, a new form of
law,
> > legums, an extreme social experiment, Calabeans and the Courtarena.
> >
> > And told with the same mastery as Dune. You get to experience a
different
> > universe, compliments of the late Frank Herbert.
> >
> > Lee Michaels
>

> I could've sworn I'd read The Dosadi Experiment, but none of that
> rings a bell. Well, I was probably, like 12 or something, so my
> comprehension was not at it's peak for that stuff. Time to pick it up
> again I guess. Never seen The Whipping Star, sounds like a good intro
> to get back into it.

The Whipping Star introduces two characters, BuSab (Bureau of Sabatoage)
Agent McKie and the Calabeans (Jump door "stars"). This where McKie
develops a relationship with a particular Calabean, Fannie Mae.

The Dosadi Experiment is much more complex with a much larger cast of
characters.

Lyle McDonald
September 21st 04, 03:50 PM
elzinator wrote:
> On 20 Sep 2004 07:46:13 -0700, bc wrote:
>

>>>3 million BC. Monolith shows up. Apes become human
>>>2001 AD. Monolith shows up. Humans take next step in evolution.
>>>Ending? No one understands the ending, because they're still human.
>>>Do apes understand the jokes in "Three's Company"?
>>>
>>>The sequel sucked. Dr. Chandra, HAL's creator, should have been Asian-Indian,
>>>not jewish. There was no mystery in the sequel. Almost as disappointing as the
>>>film version of "Dune".
>>
>>No, I reserve a special dark place in my heart for Dune. I found that
>>movie so disappointing as to be definitive of bad cinema. They took
>>one of my all time favorite books and made my all time most hated
>>film. I wish I'd never seen it.
>

> I have to agree with you there. Which is why I held off for many years
> NOT seeing the movie. The first few books are revered. I suspected
> that a movie would fall way short of imparting the nuances in the book
> and I was right. Didn't like the movie at all.

I don't know if that was so much the problem with Dune, that I can tell,
they didn't really adapt the story much (ok, the whole water thing at
the end was taken out of the second book).

I think it was more an issue of trying to cram a rather long and
involved book into a 2 hour movie. You end up losing a lot of
backstory, some of which they tried to explain in very brief snippets
but the casual watcher is just confused as all get out.

Probably why it took Sci-Fi 6 hours to tell the story.

Lyle