PDA

View Full Version : To whom it may concern!

John HUDSON
September 18th 04, 12:43 AM
I am on holiday, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Apologies to all our readers!! ;o)

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 03:40 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:43:36 +0100, John HUDSON >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>I am on holiday, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
>
>Apologies to all our readers!! ;o)

I'm going grouse hunting in the morning myself.

David
September 18th 04, 03:41 AM
"John HUDSON" > wrote in message

> I am on holiday, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
>
> Apologies to all our readers!! ;o)

Ha ha. . "normal service" - that's rich!
"apologies" ha ha!
Have a great holiday John - some of us will miss you!

David
September 18th 04, 03:44 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:43:36 +0100, John HUDSON >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >I am on holiday, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
> >
> >Apologies to all our readers!! ;o)
>
> I'm going grouse hunting in the morning myself.

John, which weapon(s) from your vast arsenal will you be selecting for that
event? -30-30 rifle, handgun plus a hunting knife, right?

David
September 18th 04, 04:01 AM
"David" > wrote in message

> "John Hanson" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:43:36 +0100, John HUDSON >
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
> >

> > >I am on holiday, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
> > >
> > >Apologies to all our readers!! ;o)
> >
> > I'm going grouse hunting in the morning myself.
>
> John, which weapon(s) from your vast arsenal will you be selecting for
that
> event? -30-30 rifle, handgun plus a hunting knife, right?

no, if it is grouse you will only need a .22 right?

David
September 18th 04, 04:03 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:43:36 +0100, John HUDSON >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >I am on holiday, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
> >
> >Apologies to all our readers!! ;o)
>
> I'm going grouse hunting in the morning myself.

'course you might need a 30-30 as you never know if you come across some
wild pigs or something.

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 04:07 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 02:44:41 GMT, "David" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:43:36 +0100, John HUDSON >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>>

>> >I am on holiday, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
>> >
>> >Apologies to all our readers!! ;o)
>>
>> I'm going grouse hunting in the morning myself.
>
>John, which weapon(s) from your vast arsenal will you be selecting for that
>event? -30-30 rifle, handgun plus a hunting knife, right?

Ah, no. 12 gauge shotgun with an Improved Cylinder choke and 2" 7
shot shells. You would never hunt birds with a rifle. I'll be taking
a few handguns along though for target shooting. There will be beer
for drinking around the campfire tomorrow night. And I'll be bringing
Buddy of course.

Next weekend will be the duck opener. Woot!

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 04:11 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 03:01:23 GMT, "David" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"David" > wrote in message
>>
>> "John Hanson" > wrote in message

>> > I'm going grouse hunting in the morning myself.
>>
>> John, which weapon(s) from your vast arsenal will you be selecting for
>that
>> event? -30-30 rifle, handgun plus a hunting knife, right?
>>
>no, if it is grouse you will only need a .22 right?

Ah, no.

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 04:24 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 03:03:19 GMT, "David" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:43:36 +0100, John HUDSON >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>>

>> >I am on holiday, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
>> >
>> >Apologies to all our readers!! ;o)
>>
>> I'm going grouse hunting in the morning myself.
>
>'course you might need a 30-30 as you never know if you come across some
>wild pigs or something.

I don't own a .30-30 nor would I unless it was cheap. The ballistics
of a .30-30 are comparable to a 7.62X39 which isn't very good. Note
that the 7.62X39 is the cartridge that the AK-47 and the SKS shoot.

Compare the .30-30:
http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30306&cart=MzAtMzAgV2luY2hlc3Rlcg==

to the .30-06
http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30061&cart=MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=

or another of my favorites, the 6.5X55 Swede:
http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni41eDU1IFN3ZWRpc2g=

and if you really want to wallop something, the .375 H&H Magnum (there
are better Weatherby rounds available for that sort of thing though):
http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=S375HX&cart=Mzc1IEgrQUNZLUggTWFnbnVt

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 04:27 AM
Weatherby cartridges:
http://weatherby.com/ammo/ballistic_specifications.pdf

David
September 18th 04, 05:01 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 02:44:41 GMT, "David" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message

> >> I'm going grouse hunting in the morning myself.
> >
> >John, which weapon(s) from your vast arsenal will you be selecting for
that
> >event? -30-30 rifle, handgun plus a hunting knife, right?
> >
> Ah, no. 12 gauge shotgun with an Improved Cylinder choke and 2" 7
> shot shells. You would never hunt birds with a rifle.

I thought shooting birds was like skeet shooting where you use a rifle

>I'll be taking a few handguns along though for target shooting. There
will be beer
> for drinking around the campfire tomorrow night. And I'll be bringing
> Buddy of course.

Sounds like a nice break

> Next weekend will be the duck opener. Woot!

I'll be reading up so if you need any advice on what guns to take for the
ducks .. . . .

David
September 18th 04, 05:09 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 02:44:41 GMT, "David" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message

> >> I'm going grouse hunting in the morning myself.
> >
> >John, which weapon(s) from your vast arsenal will you be selecting for
that
> >event? -30-30 rifle, handgun plus a hunting knife, right?
> >
> Ah, no. 12 gauge shotgun with an Improved Cylinder choke and 2" 7
> shot shells. You would never hunt birds with a rifle. I'll be taking
> a few handguns along though for target shooting. There will be beer
> for drinking around the campfire tomorrow night. And I'll be bringing
> Buddy of course.

around the campfire you might mention this dip**** from the newsgroup who
thought you take a rifle to shoot birds

> Next weekend will be the duck opener. Woot!

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 05:11 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:01:13 GMT, "David" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 02:44:41 GMT, "David" >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> >John, which weapon(s) from your vast arsenal will you be selecting for
>that
>> >event? -30-30 rifle, handgun plus a hunting knife, right?
>> >
>> Ah, no. 12 gauge shotgun with an Improved Cylinder choke and 2" 7
>> shot shells. You would never hunt birds with a rifle.
>
>I thought shooting birds was like skeet shooting where you use a rifle

You don't use a rifle in skeet shooting. You use a shotgun.

> >I'll be taking a few handguns along though for target shooting. There
>will be beer
>> for drinking around the campfire tomorrow night. And I'll be bringing
>> Buddy of course.
>
>Sounds like a nice break
>

>> Next weekend will be the duck opener. Woot!
>
>I'll be reading up so if you need any advice on what guns to take for the
>ducks .. . . .

Benelli 12 gauge.

David
September 18th 04, 05:20 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 03:03:19 GMT, "David" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message

> >> I'm going grouse hunting in the morning myself.
> >
> >'course you might need a 30-30 as you never know if you come across some
> >wild pigs or something.
> >
> I don't own a .30-30 nor would I unless it was cheap. The ballistics
> of a .30-30 are comparable to a 7.62X39 which isn't very good. Note
> that the 7.62X39 is the cartridge that the AK-47 and the SKS shoot.
>
> Compare the .30-30:

http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30306&cart=MzAtMzAgV2luY2hlc3Rlcg==

> to the .30-06

http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30061&cart=MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=

> or another of my favorites, the 6.5X55 Swede:

http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni41eDU1IFN3ZWRpc2g=

> and if you really want to wallop something, the .375 H&H Magnum (there
> are better Weatherby rounds available for that sort of thing though):

http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=S375HX&cart=Mzc1IEgrQUNZLUggTWFnbnVt

I'm forgetting 30-30 as of now. the .375 looks like it can stop a train
(buffalo anyway) - thanks!

David
September 18th 04, 05:26 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:01:13 GMT, "David" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message

> >that
> >> >
> >> Ah, no. 12 gauge shotgun with an Improved Cylinder choke and 2" 7
> >> shot shells. You would never hunt birds with a rifle.
> >
> >I thought shooting birds was like skeet shooting where you use a rifle
>
> You don't use a rifle in skeet shooting. You use a shotgun.

Jesus - I'm not doing too well today!

> > >I'll be taking a few handguns along though for target shooting. There
> >will be beer
> >> for drinking around the campfire tomorrow night. And I'll be bringing
> >> Buddy of course.
> >
> >Sounds like a nice break
> >

> >> Next weekend will be the duck opener. Woot!
> >
> >I'll be reading up so if you need any advice on what guns to take for the
> >ducks .. . . .
> >
> Benelli 12 gauge.

I was going to say that.

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 05:26 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:09:19 GMT, "David" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 02:44:41 GMT, "David" >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> >John, which weapon(s) from your vast arsenal will you be selecting for
>that
>> >event? -30-30 rifle, handgun plus a hunting knife, right?
>> >
>> Ah, no. 12 gauge shotgun with an Improved Cylinder choke and 2" 7
>> shot shells. You would never hunt birds with a rifle. I'll be taking
>> a few handguns along though for target shooting. There will be beer
>> for drinking around the campfire tomorrow night. And I'll be bringing
>> Buddy of course.
>
>around the campfire you might mention this dip**** from the newsgroup who
>thought you take a rifle to shoot birds

I'll mention just how deprived our friends from down under are.

I'll be in the NE section just to the south and west of the state
park:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_forests/sft00012/index.html

It's some of the thickest woods you could ever encounter. I once got
lost there walking 20 feet off the trail. The trail was angling away
from me but I didn't realize it. I used to get lost there all the
time but haven't for a long time now.

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 05:28 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:20:16 GMT, "David" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 03:03:19 GMT, "David" >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> >'course you might need a 30-30 as you never know if you come across some
>> >wild pigs or something.
>> >
>> I don't own a .30-30 nor would I unless it was cheap. The ballistics
>> of a .30-30 are comparable to a 7.62X39 which isn't very good. Note
>> that the 7.62X39 is the cartridge that the AK-47 and the SKS shoot.
>>
>> Compare the .30-30:
>>
>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30306&cart=MzAtMzAgV2luY2hlc3Rlcg==
>>
>> to the .30-06
>>
>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30061&cart=MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=
>>
>> or another of my favorites, the 6.5X55 Swede:
>>
>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni41eDU1IFN3ZWRpc2g=
>>
>> and if you really want to wallop something, the .375 H&H Magnum (there
>> are better Weatherby rounds available for that sort of thing though):
>>
>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=S375HX&cart=Mzc1IEgrQUNZLUggTWFnbnVt
>
>I'm forgetting 30-30 as of now. the .375 looks like it can stop a train
>(buffalo anyway) - thanks!

Check out the ballistics of the .460 Weatherby through the link on my
other post. 7500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle with a 500 grain
bullet.

David
September 18th 04, 05:40 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:09:19 GMT, "David" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message

> >that
> >> >
> >> Ah, no. 12 gauge shotgun with an Improved Cylinder choke and 2" 7
> >> shot shells. You would never hunt birds with a rifle. I'll be taking
> >> a few handguns along though for target shooting. There will be beer
> >> for drinking around the campfire tomorrow night. And I'll be bringing
> >> Buddy of course.
> >
> >around the campfire you might mention this dip**** from the newsgroup who
> >thought you take a rifle to shoot birds
>
> I'll mention just how deprived our friends from down under are.
>
> I'll be in the NE section just to the south and west of the state
> park:
> http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_forests/sft00012/index.html
>
> It's some of the thickest woods you could ever encounter. I once got
> lost there walking 20 feet off the trail. The trail was angling away
> from me but I didn't realize it. I used to get lost there all the
> time but haven't for a long time now.

This place looks pretty remote for sure. Dunno. . to be honest would scare
me ****less . . . .

John M. Williams
September 18th 04, 05:42 AM
John Hanson > wrote:

> "David" > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>>"John Hanson" > wrote:

>>> I'm going grouse hunting in the morning myself.
>>
>>'course you might need a 30-30 as you never know if you come across some
>>wild pigs or something.
>>
>I don't own a .30-30 nor would I unless it was cheap. The ballistics
>of a .30-30 are comparable to a 7.62X39 which isn't very good. Note
>that the 7.62X39 is the cartridge that the AK-47 and the SKS shoot.
>
>Compare the .30-30:
>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30306&cart=MzAtMzAgV2luY2hlc3Rlcg==
>
>to the .30-06
>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30061&cart=MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=
>
>or another of my favorites, the 6.5X55 Swede:
>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni41eDU1IFN3ZWRpc2g=

But the ballistics of the Russian 7.62X54R will beat all of the above,
and I can buy an excellent-condition surplus rifle that fires it for
about $70.00.

If I want to spend ten times that, I can fire it through a 20-round
semi-auto sniper rifle with a high-power scope.

David
September 18th 04, 05:47 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:20:16 GMT, "David" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message

> >> I don't own a .30-30 nor would I unless it was cheap. The ballistics
> >> of a .30-30 are comparable to a 7.62X39 which isn't very good. Note
> >> that the 7.62X39 is the cartridge that the AK-47 and the SKS shoot.
> >>
> >> Compare the .30-30:
> >>

>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30306&cart=
MzAtMzAgV2luY2hlc3Rlcg==

> >> to the .30-06
> >>

>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30061&cart=
MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=

> >> or another of my favorites, the 6.5X55 Swede:
> >>

>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni4
1eDU1IFN3ZWRpc2g=

> >> and if you really want to wallop something, the .375 H&H Magnum (there
> >> are better Weatherby rounds available for that sort of thing though):
> >>

>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=S375HX&cart=Mz
c1IEgrQUNZLUggTWFnbnVt

> >I'm forgetting 30-30 as of now. the .375 looks like it can stop a train
> >(buffalo anyway) - thanks!
> >
> Check out the ballistics of the .460 Weatherby through the link on my
> other post. 7500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle with a 500 grain
> bullet.

must have one hell of a kick!

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 05:53 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:42:17 -0400, John M. Williams
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson > wrote:

>>>'course you might need a 30-30 as you never know if you come across some
>>>wild pigs or something.
>>>
>>I don't own a .30-30 nor would I unless it was cheap. The ballistics
>>of a .30-30 are comparable to a 7.62X39 which isn't very good. Note
>>that the 7.62X39 is the cartridge that the AK-47 and the SKS shoot.
>>
>>Compare the .30-30:
>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30306&cart=MzAtMzAgV2luY2hlc3Rlcg==
>>
>>to the .30-06
>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30061&cart=MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=
>>
>>or another of my favorites, the 6.5X55 Swede:
>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni41eDU1IFN3ZWRpc2g=
>
>But the ballistics of the Russian 7.62X54R will beat all of the above,
>and I can buy an excellent-condition surplus rifle that fires it for
>about $70.00.

???

The 7.62X54R's ballistics will only surpass that of the .30-30 above
and beat the Swede on energy. The .30-06 blows it away. But, I would
definitely pick up all of the three Russian milsurp rifles that are
out there today. The guy out in Idaho where I bought my CETME was
offering a package deal on the three. Don't know if he still is
though.

>If I want to spend ten times that, I can fire it through a 20-round
>semi-auto sniper rifle with a high-power scope.

Just watch the surplus ammo as most of it is corrosive.

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 05:58 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:47:01 GMT, "David" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:20:16 GMT, "David" >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>possible.

>some

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30306&cart=
>MzAtMzAgV2luY2hlc3Rlcg==

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30061&cart=
>MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni4
>1eDU1IFN3ZWRpc2g=

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=S375HX&cart=Mz
>c1IEgrQUNZLUggTWFnbnVt
>> >
>> >I'm forgetting 30-30 as of now. the .375 looks like it can stop a train
>> >(buffalo anyway) - thanks!
>> >
>> Check out the ballistics of the .460 Weatherby through the link on my
>> other post. 7500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle with a 500 grain
>> bullet.
>
>must have one hell of a kick!

That it does. If you are interested, might I suggest a Mark V Royal
Custom rifle for that cartridge:
http://weatherby.com/custom_shop/custom_guns.shtml

And if anyone is thinking about getting that for me for Christmas or
something, I would prefer that chambered in .300 Weatherby Magnum.

David
September 18th 04, 05:59 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:20:16 GMT, "David" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message

> >> I don't own a .30-30 nor would I unless it was cheap. The ballistics
> >> of a .30-30 are comparable to a 7.62X39 which isn't very good. Note
> >> that the 7.62X39 is the cartridge that the AK-47 and the SKS shoot.
> >>
> >> Compare the .30-30:
> >>

>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30306&cart=
MzAtMzAgV2luY2hlc3Rlcg==

> >> to the .30-06
> >>

>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30061&cart=
MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=

> >> or another of my favorites, the 6.5X55 Swede:
> >>

>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni4
1eDU1IFN3ZWRpc2g=

> >> and if you really want to wallop something, the .375 H&H Magnum (there
> >> are better Weatherby rounds available for that sort of thing though):
> >>

>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=S375HX&cart=Mz
c1IEgrQUNZLUggTWFnbnVt

> >I'm forgetting 30-30 as of now. the .375 looks like it can stop a train
> >(buffalo anyway) - thanks!
> >
> Check out the ballistics of the .460 Weatherby through the link on my
> other post. 7500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle with a 500 grain
> bullet.

Thanks John . . . learned something today. Hope you and Buddy and the boys
have a great time

David
September 18th 04, 06:06 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:47:01 GMT, "David" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message

> >possible.

> >some

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30306&cart
=
> >MzAtMzAgV2luY2hlc3Rlcg==

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30061&cart
=
> >MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni
4
> >1eDU1IFN3ZWRpc2g=

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=S375HX&cart=M
> >c1IEgrQUNZLUggTWFnbnVt

> >> Check out the ballistics of the .460 Weatherby through the link on my
> >> other post. 7500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle with a 500 grain
> >> bullet.
> >
> >must have one hell of a kick!
> >
> That it does. If you are interested, might I suggest a Mark V Royal
> Custom rifle for that cartridge:
> http://weatherby.com/custom_shop/custom_guns.shtml
>
> And if anyone is thinking about getting that for me for Christmas or
> something, I would prefer that chambered in .300 Weatherby Magnum.

I'd prefer the Mark V Custom myself - but the price tag .. . . you know here
you almost double that to get to our money.

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 06:06 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:59:28 GMT, "David" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:20:16 GMT, "David" >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>possible.

>some

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30306&cart=
>MzAtMzAgV2luY2hlc3Rlcg==

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30061&cart=
>MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni4
>1eDU1IFN3ZWRpc2g=

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=S375HX&cart=Mz
>c1IEgrQUNZLUggTWFnbnVt
>> >
>> >I'm forgetting 30-30 as of now. the .375 looks like it can stop a train
>> >(buffalo anyway) - thanks!
>> >
>> Check out the ballistics of the .460 Weatherby through the link on my
>> other post. 7500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle with a 500 grain
>> bullet.
>
>Thanks John . . . learned something today. Hope you and Buddy and the boys
>have a great time

Actually, the boys won't be hunting but my oldest son was planning on
coming out with 2 of his buddies and going 4 wheeling with their ATVs.
But, a good friend of mine will be there hunting with me.

Thank you!

David
September 18th 04, 06:07 AM
"David" > wrote in message

> "John Hanson" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:47:01 GMT, "David" >
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

> > >possible.

> > >some

> ballistics
Note

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30306&cart
> =
> > >MzAtMzAgV2luY2hlc3Rlcg==

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30061&cart
> =
> > >MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni
> 4
> > >1eDU1IFN3ZWRpc2g=

> (there
> though):
> > >> >>

>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=S375HX&cart=M
> > >c1IEgrQUNZLUggTWFnbnVt

> train

> > >must have one hell of a kick!
> > >
> > That it does. If you are interested, might I suggest a Mark V Royal
> > Custom rifle for that cartridge:
> > http://weatherby.com/custom_shop/custom_guns.shtml
> >
> > And if anyone is thinking about getting that for me for Christmas or
> > something, I would prefer that chambered in .300 Weatherby Magnum.
>
> I'd prefer the Mark V Custom myself - but the price tag .. . . you know
here
> you almost double that to get to our money.

John, for our Christmas gift - I know you have your 'sights' on that Mark
V - but would you settle maybe for a case of Bud?

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 06:15 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:40:08 GMT, "David" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:09:19 GMT, "David" >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>possible.

>> >that

>> >around the campfire you might mention this dip**** from the newsgroup who
>> >thought you take a rifle to shoot birds
>>
>> I'll mention just how deprived our friends from down under are.
>>
>> I'll be in the NE section just to the south and west of the state
>> park:
>> http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_forests/sft00012/index.html
>>
>> It's some of the thickest woods you could ever encounter. I once got
>> lost there walking 20 feet off the trail. The trail was angling away
>> from me but I didn't realize it. I used to get lost there all the
>> time but haven't for a long time now.
>
>This place looks pretty remote for sure. Dunno. . to be honest would scare
>me ****less . . . .

I was up there a few years ago setting up stands the night before the
deer archery season opened with my youngest boy. It was nearly pitch
black when we finished and once we got to the forest road to head back
to camp, I turned the flashlight off so as not to spook the deer.
Talk about scary. We heard all kinds of animals moving about. One
was within 30 yards of us. I turned on the flashlight and there was
the biggest porcupine I had ever seen.

Here's an aerial photo of the place. It must have been taken in the
fall as it is way too brown. I really love it there and it is less
than two hours away. Oh, and, we have very liberal rules in state
forests so a person can pretty much do whatever he damn well pleases.

http://northernlinks.com/yohan/chengwatana.jpg

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 06:16 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 05:07:55 GMT, "David" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"David" > wrote in message
>>
>> "John Hanson" > wrote in message

>across

>> ballistics
>Note
>shoot.

>>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30306&cart
>> =

>>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30061&cart
>> =

>>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni
>> 4

>> (there
>> though):
>> > >> >>

>>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=S375HX&cart=M

>> train

>grain

>> > That it does. If you are interested, might I suggest a Mark V Royal
>> > Custom rifle for that cartridge:
>> > http://weatherby.com/custom_shop/custom_guns.shtml
>> >
>> > And if anyone is thinking about getting that for me for Christmas or
>> > something, I would prefer that chambered in .300 Weatherby Magnum.
>>
>> I'd prefer the Mark V Custom myself - but the price tag .. . . you know
>here
>> you almost double that to get to our money.
>>
>John, for our Christmas gift - I know you have your 'sights' on that Mark
>V - but would you settle maybe for a case of Bud?

I'm not picky:-)

John M. Williams
September 18th 04, 06:19 AM
John Hanson > wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:42:17 -0400, John M. Williams
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>John Hanson > wrote:

>>>I don't own a .30-30 nor would I unless it was cheap. The ballistics
>>>of a .30-30 are comparable to a 7.62X39 which isn't very good. Note
>>>that the 7.62X39 is the cartridge that the AK-47 and the SKS shoot.
>>>
>>>Compare the .30-30:
>>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30306&cart=MzAtMzAgV2luY2hlc3Rlcg==
>>>
>>>to the .30-06
>>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SHV30061&cart=MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=
>>>
>>>or another of my favorites, the 6.5X55 Swede:
>>>http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni41eDU1IFN3ZWRpc2g=
>>
>>But the ballistics of the Russian 7.62X54R will beat all of the above,
>>and I can buy an excellent-condition surplus rifle that fires it for
>>about $70.00.
>
>???
>
>The 7.62X54R's ballistics will only surpass that of the .30-30 above
>and beat the Swede on energy. The .30-06 blows it away.

Cartridge Caliber Case Bullet Muzzle Muzzle
(mm) Length Weight Velocity Energy
(mm) (g) (m/sec) (joules)

..30-06 7.62 63 11.7 792 3663

Type 54R USSR 7.62 54 R 11.8 830 4065

http://web4.integraonline.com/~bbroadside/General_Info.html

These ballistics are for the standard military cartridges. I've seen
similar ballistics elsewhere.

>But, I would
>definitely pick up all of the three Russian milsurp rifles that are
>out there today. The guy out in Idaho where I bought my CETME was
>offering a package deal on the three. Don't know if he still is
>though.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/

I have a C&R license, so I can mail-order them.

>>If I want to spend ten times that, I can fire it through a 20-round
>>semi-auto sniper rifle with a high-power scope.
>
>Just watch the surplus ammo as most of it is corrosive.

That's why most of the Simonov/Kalashnikov/Druganov rifles have
chrome-lined barrels.

John Hanson
September 18th 04, 06:37 AM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 01:19:44 -0400, John M. Williams
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:42:17 -0400, John M. Williams
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>But the ballistics of the Russian 7.62X54R will beat all of the above,
>>>and I can buy an excellent-condition surplus rifle that fires it for
>>>about $70.00.
>>
>>???
>>
>>The 7.62X54R's ballistics will only surpass that of the .30-30 above
>>and beat the Swede on energy. The .30-06 blows it away.
>
>Cartridge Caliber Case Bullet Muzzle Muzzle
> (mm) Length Weight Velocity Energy
> (mm) (g) (m/sec) (joules)
>
>.30-06 7.62 63 11.7 792 3663
>
>Type 54R USSR 7.62 54 R 11.8 830 4065
>
>http://web4.integraonline.com/~bbroadside/General_Info.html

Go to Winchester's site and compare the commercial cartridges. The
..30-06 is far more powerful. This also the case according to the

>These ballistics are for the standard military cartridges. I've seen
>similar ballistics elsewhere.
>
>>But, I would
>>definitely pick up all of the three Russian milsurp rifles that are
>>out there today. The guy out in Idaho where I bought my CETME was
>>offering a package deal on the three. Don't know if he still is
>>though.
>
>http://www.southernohiogun.com/
>
>I have a C&R license, so I can mail-order them.

Cool! Have you bought from them before? I've heard bad things about
them. Well, maybe not bad. Just that they are a pain in the ass to
deal with. That and they are just a reseller and not an importer.

>>>If I want to spend ten times that, I can fire it through a 20-round
>>>semi-auto sniper rifle with a high-power scope.
>>
>>Just watch the surplus ammo as most of it is corrosive.
>
>That's why most of the Simonov/Kalashnikov/Druganov rifles have
>chrome-lined barrels.

John M. Williams
September 18th 04, 07:31 AM
John Hanson > wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 01:19:44 -0400, John M. Williams
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>John Hanson > wrote:

>>>???
>>>
>>>The 7.62X54R's ballistics will only surpass that of the .30-30 above
>>>and beat the Swede on energy. The .30-06 blows it away.
>>
>>Cartridge Caliber Case Bullet Muzzle Muzzle
>> (mm) Length Weight Velocity Energy
>> (mm) (g) (m/sec) (joules)
>>
>>.30-06 7.62 63 11.7 792 3663
>>
>>Type 54R USSR 7.62 54 R 11.8 830 4065
>>
>>http://web4.integraonline.com/~bbroadside/General_Info.html
>
>Go to Winchester's site and compare the commercial cartridges. The
>.30-06 is far more powerful. This also the case according to the

I'm talking military guns with military ammo. Winchester and
Remington have long underloaded cartridges for Eastern bloc firearms
the commercial ballistics are pathetic, and they've been that way
since I started reading those tables in the 1980s. Then I learned
that the original, long-lasting, hot, corrosive, Berdan-primed,
Eastern bloc ammo was a ****load more powerful than the American

For instance, a CZ52 firing original Czech 7.62x25 Tokarev will
penetrate standard police body armor when a .357 Magnum won't. And
CZ52s in very-good-to-excellent condition can be had with a C&R
license for $100.00 plus shipping. I'm still considering buying one,
but I hear they're real flamethrowers.

>>>But, I would
>>>definitely pick up all of the three Russian milsurp rifles that are
>>>out there today. The guy out in Idaho where I bought my CETME was
>>>offering a package deal on the three. Don't know if he still is
>>>though.
>>
>>http://www.southernohiogun.com/
>>
>>I have a C&R license, so I can mail-order them.
>
>Cool! Have you bought from them before? I've heard bad things about
>them. Well, maybe not bad. Just that they are a pain in the ass to
>deal with. That and they are just a reseller and not an importer.

I haven't dealt with them directly, but living in Ohio, I'm not
worried about it. I have dealt with Century, and they are excellent
to work with. From them, I bought a Ballester-Rigaud that I had
Brownell Gun-Koted, and a CZ50 that I nickel plated on my own. The
latter can be seen here:

http://www.bright.net/~xcipherx/cz50.htm

David
September 18th 04, 08:21 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:40:08 GMT, "David" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message

> >possible.

> >> I'll mention just how deprived our friends from down under are.
> >>
> >> I'll be in the NE section just to the south and west of the state
> >> park:
> >> http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_forests/sft00012/index.html
> >>
> >> It's some of the thickest woods you could ever encounter. I once got
> >> lost there walking 20 feet off the trail. The trail was angling away
> >> from me but I didn't realize it. I used to get lost there all the
> >> time but haven't for a long time now.
> >
> >This place looks pretty remote for sure. Dunno. . to be honest would
scare
> >me ****less . . . .
> >
> I was up there a few years ago setting up stands the night before the
> deer archery season opened with my youngest boy. It was nearly pitch
> black when we finished and once we got to the forest road to head back
> to camp, I turned the flashlight off so as not to spook the deer.
> Talk about scary. We heard all kinds of animals moving about. One
> was within 30 yards of us. I turned on the flashlight and there was
> the biggest porcupine I had ever seen.
>
> Here's an aerial photo of the place. It must have been taken in the
> fall as it is way too brown. I really love it there and it is less
> than two hours away. Oh, and, we have very liberal rules in state
> forests so a person can pretty much do whatever he damn well pleases.
>
> http://northernlinks.com/yohan/chengwatana.jpg

didn't see this till now - link never came came up for some reason - sounds
beautiful scary or not! Your boy is lucky that the old man get's him
started early - bet your Dad was the same. (I'd be worried about bears!)
Must be magic when you are out in the total solitude with nature full on
like that. I'll try that link again later -- (my wife's been following this
thread and now she is bugging me to take her out bush - she says I could
stay in the 4WD if I'm scared!!)