PDA

View Full Version : Spicy Food...

J a s e
September 18th 04, 01:42 PM
I've been wondering (as I often do), is spicy food bad for you..?

Now I know things like curry and spicy pot noodles etc are gonna be bad for
you because of all the crap they put in them. What I mean is the spicyness
itself.

For example, I've recently become addicted to spicy food. As I've sat here
and read the last few days posts to this group I've eaten a tuna salad.
Quite healthy you might think, but I put some peppers, chillies and red hot
chillie sauce on it (100% pure, no additives so the bottle claims).

Anyway, does this sudden attack of spicyness make the tuna salad
unhealthy..? I mean, in an hours time it may give me belly ache and it's
already making my mouth burn.

But after saying all that, all the ingredients (assuming the chilli sauce
is as pure as the bottle claims) are as healthy as food gets, almost.

I've been curious about this for a while. I'm hoping the answer is that
spicyness in itself isn't a bad thing, but for some reason I fear that it
may be.

Any thoughts..?

Now where did I put that Scotch Bonnett chillie...

Thanks, Jase...
_________ __ __ __________________________________________________ ______
- / /_/ /_ /_ http://www.JasesJokes.com -
____ /_/ / / __/ /__________________________________________________ _______

ray miller
September 18th 04, 02:29 PM
>Now I know things like curry and spicy pot noodles etc are gonna be bad for
>you because of all the crap they put in them. What I mean is the spicyness
>itself.

pot noodles aren't good food, but why do you think that curry is bad
for you?

>Anyway, does this sudden attack of spicyness make the tuna salad
>unhealthy..? I mean, in an hours time it may give me belly ache and it's
>already making my mouth burn.

If it gives you belly ache then you may not be suited to spicy food
for some reason - see a doctor. That doesn't mean it's not good for
everyone.

>But after saying all that, all the ingredients (assuming the chilli sauce
>is as pure as the bottle claims) are as healthy as food gets, almost.

Pure (and natural) don't have much to do with healthy. Plutonium is
natural and can be pure, but it certainly isn't good for you.

>Now where did I put that Scotch Bonnett chillie...

I use habeneros a lot. A chilli isn't hot enough if I don't get numb
lips:)

Ray
--
rmnsuk
273/187/182

JonH
September 18th 04, 03:37 PM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:29:41 GMT, ray miller
> wrote:

>>Now I know things like curry and spicy pot noodles etc are gonna be bad for
>>you because of all the crap they put in them. What I mean is the spicyness
>>itself.
>
>pot noodles aren't good food, but why do you think that curry is bad
>for you?
>
>>Anyway, does this sudden attack of spicyness make the tuna salad
>>unhealthy..? I mean, in an hours time it may give me belly ache and it's
>>already making my mouth burn.
>
>If it gives you belly ache then you may not be suited to spicy food
>for some reason - see a doctor. That doesn't mean it's not good for
>everyone.
>
>>But after saying all that, all the ingredients (assuming the chilli sauce
>>is as pure as the bottle claims) are as healthy as food gets, almost.
>
>Pure (and natural) don't have much to do with healthy. Plutonium is
>natural and can be pure, but it certainly isn't good for you.
>
>>Now where did I put that Scotch Bonnett chillie...
>
>I use habeneros a lot. A chilli isn't hot enough if I don't get numb
>lips:)
>
>Ray

Better AFTER training than before............

(And certainly not DURING!)

Regards
JonH

If your arse didn't bleed the next day, the curry wasn't really all
that hot.

Mistress Krista
September 18th 04, 03:40 PM
> >Now I know things like curry and spicy pot noodles etc are gonna be bad
for
> >you because of all the crap they put in them. What I mean is the
spicyness
> >itself.

If spicy food is bad for you, then a few billion people worldwide are in
deep trouble. IMHO nothing does the sinuses good like a bowl of hot and sour
soup. Capsaicin, the active ingredient in many hot peppers, can relieve
pain when topically applied, so perhaps rub some curry on yourself. :)

Krista

--
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
http://www.trans-health.com

J.S. Jackson
September 18th 04, 05:59 PM
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:40:56 GMT, Mistress Krista wrote:

[...]

> IMHO nothing does the sinuses good like a bowl of hot and sour
> soup.

[...]

It's true, IME, that very spicy food is quite good for clearing out the
sinuses, lungs, etc. In fact I read a study some years ago on that topic.
The author noted that in areas of the world where very spicy food is eaten
daily, illnesses such as bronchitis and sinusitus are quite rare. He
attributed this to the constant refreshment of the mucus in those areas.
Apparently, the mucus can normally become quite thick, and is not refreshed
often, leading to a build-up of bacteria. A good spicy meal each day seems
to prevent this from occuring.

Carl Miller
September 19th 04, 04:20 PM
On September 18 2004, "J a s e" > wrote:
> What I mean is the spicyness
> itself.

I've often thought to myself: "Those plants (peppers particularly, and
probably onions too) developed those spicy traits so that they WOULDN'T
get eaten, and that's SPECIFICALLY WHY WE EAT THEM. Stupid humans!"

--
Carl Miller

http://www.quickinfo247.com/8557444

Chad Hutchinson
September 19th 04, 04:28 PM
Carl Miller > wrote:

> On September 18 2004, "J a s e" > wrote:
> > What I mean is the spicyness
> > itself.
>
> I've often thought to myself: "Those plants (peppers particularly, and
> probably onions too) developed those spicy traits so that they WOULDN'T
> get eaten, and that's SPECIFICALLY WHY WE EAT THEM. Stupid humans!"

Nah. They were designed that way by God so that we WOULD eat them. It's
the bland foods that I have no explanation for.

Bob MacWilliam
September 20th 04, 12:48 AM
"J.S. Jackson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:40:56 GMT, Mistress Krista wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > IMHO nothing does the sinuses good like a bowl of hot and sour
> > soup.
>
> [...]
>
> It's true, IME, that very spicy food is quite good for clearing out the
> sinuses, lungs, etc. In fact I read a study some years ago on that topic.
> The author noted that in areas of the world where very spicy food is eaten
> daily, illnesses such as bronchitis and sinusitus are quite rare. He
> attributed this to the constant refreshment of the mucus in those areas.
> Apparently, the mucus can normally become quite thick, and is not
refreshed
> often, leading to a build-up of bacteria. A good spicy meal each day
seems
> to prevent this from occuring.

Well, colds, other upper-respiratory ailments and flu increase drastically
in the winter months where air circulation is poor and people spend way more
time indoors and closer to each other. I would think that the climates
where they eat spicy foods are generally warmer and this is what explains a
lower incidence of these afflictions. However, a big blast of red-hot spicy
anything does feel very good when I have a head cold.

Bob

Seth Breidbart
September 22nd 04, 01:49 AM
In article >,
Carl Miller > wrote:
>On September 18 2004, "J a s e" > wrote:
>> What I mean is the spicyness
>> itself.
>
>I've often thought to myself: "Those plants (peppers particularly, and
>probably onions too) developed those spicy traits so that they WOULDN'T
>get eaten, and that's SPECIFICALLY WHY WE EAT THEM. Stupid humans!"

No, stupid plants!

Seth
--
"There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate" -- Will Brink
Except sushi rice, seaweed, and wasabi.

Geezer From The Freezer
September 22nd 04, 09:43 AM
Chillis are good for you, high in anti-oxidants. Also when I have
bunged up sinuses, chillis do the world of good!

Carl Miller
September 23rd 04, 08:21 PM
On September 19 2004, (Chad Hutchinson) wrote:
>> I've often thought to myself: "Those plants (peppers particularly,
>> and probably onions too) developed those spicy traits so that they
>> WOULDN'T get eaten, and that's SPECIFICALLY WHY WE EAT THEM. Stupid
>> humans!"
>
> Nah. They were designed that way by God so that we WOULD eat them.
> It's the bland foods that I have no explanation for.

Are you trying to start an "evolution vs. creationism" argument or
something? :-)

--
Carl Miller

http://www.ezinfocenter.com/8557444

Michel Chamberland
September 23rd 04, 08:47 PM
hot/spicy foods are known to boost your metabolism. Some spicy food
will also kill bacteria (ie: Allicin in garlic).. People used to think
that spicy food causes ulcers but they have been proven wrong. So as
far as i've learned the only side effects are that you are going to
burn more calories for a little while after eating spicy food and your
ass might burn when your body is done with em...

J.S. Jackson
September 23rd 04, 10:49 PM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:48:47 -0400, Bob MacWilliam wrote:

> "J.S. Jackson" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:40:56 GMT, Mistress Krista wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> IMHO nothing does the sinuses good like a bowl of hot and sour
>>> soup.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> It's true, IME, that very spicy food is quite good for clearing out the
>> sinuses, lungs, etc. In fact I read a study some years ago on that topic.
>> The author noted that in areas of the world where very spicy food is eaten
>> daily, illnesses such as bronchitis and sinusitus are quite rare. He
>> attributed this to the constant refreshment of the mucus in those areas.
>> Apparently, the mucus can normally become quite thick, and is not
>> refreshed
>> often, leading to a build-up of bacteria. A good spicy meal each day
>> seems
>> to prevent this from occuring.
>
> Well, colds, other upper-respiratory ailments and flu increase drastically
> in the winter months where air circulation is poor and people spend way more
> time indoors and closer to each other. I would think that the climates
> where they eat spicy foods are generally warmer and this is what explains a
> lower incidence of these afflictions. However, a big blast of red-hot spicy
> anything does feel very good when I have a head cold.

Good point also.