PDA

View Full Version : Quadmiill

Lee Michaels
September 19th 04, 05:06 PM
I heard about this today. Apparently it is used for ski conditioning. I
talked to one guy who says it is kind of like surfing. You get on it and
ride it. You maintain your position on the platform. Keep the body level and
the legs soft.

It is supposed to work the muscles eccentrically. I imagine in some ways
similar to vibration training. The website is below. Without any prices
though. Which is always a bad sign.

http://www.quadmill.com/

elzinator
September 19th 04, 07:29 PM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:06:24 GMT, Lee Michaels wrote:
>I heard about this today. Apparently it is used for ski conditioning. I
>talked to one guy who says it is kind of like surfing. You get on it and
>ride it. You maintain your position on the platform. Keep the body level and
>the legs soft.
>
>It is supposed to work the muscles eccentrically. I imagine in some ways
>similar to vibration training. The website is below. Without any prices
>though. Which is always a bad sign.
>
>http://www.quadmill.com/

Hey, I want one of those!!!!

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

Mistress Krista
September 19th 04, 07:35 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s04...
> I heard about this today. Apparently it is used for ski conditioning. I
> talked to one guy who says it is kind of like surfing. You get on it and
> ride it. You maintain your position on the platform. Keep the body level
and
> the legs soft.

That looks pretty fun. Naturally my first instinct would be to see if I
could do it one-legged. Whee! *falling off machine*

Krista

--
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
http://www.trans-health.com

DRS
September 20th 04, 12:42 AM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s04
> I heard about this today. Apparently it is used for ski conditioning.
> I talked to one guy who says it is kind of like surfing. You get on
> it and ride it. You maintain your position on the platform. Keep the
> body level and the legs soft.
>
> It is supposed to work the muscles eccentrically. I imagine in some
> ways similar to vibration training. The website is below. Without any
> prices though. Which is always a bad sign.
>
> http://www.quadmill.com/

"Priced about the same as a treadmill, requests for distributorships are
exploding because approximately 18,000 health clubs will need two or more,
each."

http://www.nwen.org/venturer/0703/news.htm

Uh-huh. And people wonder why their gym memberships cost so much.

--

"Self-delusion as a coping tool has always been a fairly useful strategy for
me."

Jim Ranieri
September 20th 04, 01:54 AM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s04...
> I heard about this today. Apparently it is used for ski conditioning. I
> talked to one guy who says it is kind of like surfing. You get on it and
> ride it. You maintain your position on the platform. Keep the body level
and
> the legs soft.
>
> It is supposed to work the muscles eccentrically. I imagine in some ways
> similar to vibration training. The website is below. Without any prices
> though. Which is always a bad sign.
>
> http://www.quadmill.com/

Looks sort of interesting, but I get the feeling the typical user will just
support him or herself with the handrails and let the legs go through a
passive ROM

elzinator
September 20th 04, 03:19 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:42:05 +1000, DRS wrote:
>"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
>news:[email protected]_s04
>> I heard about this today. Apparently it is used for ski conditioning.
>> I talked to one guy who says it is kind of like surfing. You get on
>> it and ride it. You maintain your position on the platform. Keep the
>> body level and the legs soft.
>>
>> It is supposed to work the muscles eccentrically. I imagine in some
>> ways similar to vibration training. The website is below. Without any
>> prices though. Which is always a bad sign.
>>
>> http://www.quadmill.com/
>
>"Priced about the same as a treadmill, requests for distributorships are
>exploding because approximately 18,000 health clubs will need two or more,
>each."
>
>http://www.nwen.org/venturer/0703/news.htm
>
>Uh-huh. And people wonder why their gym memberships cost so much.

I still want one.
I'll put it next to Shadow's stall. When he's out running in the
pasture, I can pretend I'm riding him and get a greater workout at the
same time. :)

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

elzinator
September 20th 04, 03:20 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:54:36 -0500, Jim Ranieri wrote:

>"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
>news:[email protected]_s04...
>> I heard about this today. Apparently it is used for ski conditioning. I
>> talked to one guy who says it is kind of like surfing. You get on it and
>> ride it. You maintain your position on the platform. Keep the body level
>and
>> the legs soft.
>>
>> It is supposed to work the muscles eccentrically. I imagine in some ways
>> similar to vibration training. The website is below. Without any prices
>> though. Which is always a bad sign.
>>
>> http://www.quadmill.com/
>>

>Looks sort of interesting, but I get the feeling the typical user will just
>support him or herself with the handrails and let the legs go through a
>passive ROM

Probably. Just like they do on the stairmasters and the elliptical
trainers.

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

Proton Soup
September 20th 04, 03:49 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:20:52 -0500, elzinator
> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:54:36 -0500, Jim Ranieri wrote:
>>
>>"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]_s04...
>>> I heard about this today. Apparently it is used for ski conditioning. I
>>> talked to one guy who says it is kind of like surfing. You get on it and
>>> ride it. You maintain your position on the platform. Keep the body level
>>and
>>> the legs soft.
>>>
>>> It is supposed to work the muscles eccentrically. I imagine in some ways
>>> similar to vibration training. The website is below. Without any prices
>>> though. Which is always a bad sign.
>>>
>>> http://www.quadmill.com/
>>>

>>Looks sort of interesting, but I get the feeling the typical user will just
>>support him or herself with the handrails and let the legs go through a
>>passive ROM
>
>Probably. Just like they do on the stairmasters and the elliptical
>trainers.

Actually, except for the using your hands part, that kinda seems like
the point to me, if you're training for skiing. Seems like you'd want
to practice at keeping your center of gravity constant to minimize
energy expenditure. Then, on the slopes, you should be better at just
gliding over uneven ground.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Proton Soup
September 20th 04, 04:45 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:50:54 -0500, elzinator
> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:49:14 -0500, Proton Soup wrote:
>>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:20:52 -0500, elzinator
> wrote:

>>>Probably. Just like they do on the stairmasters and the elliptical
>>>trainers.
>>
>>Actually, except for the using your hands part, that kinda seems like
>>the point to me, if you're training for skiing. Seems like you'd want
>>to practice at keeping your center of gravity constant to minimize
>>energy expenditure. Then, on the slopes, you should be better at just
>>gliding over uneven ground.
>
>It would have cross-specificity to riding horses and other stuff, too
>(especially jumping, which I am NOT doing anymore). water skiing, or
>standing in boats, hmm.... near lake, canoe, riding, hmmm....
>
>Can I have one?
>
> ;)

I would if I could, Elzi. :)

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

elzinator
September 20th 04, 04:50 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:49:14 -0500, Proton Soup wrote:
>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:20:52 -0500, elzinator
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:54:36 -0500, Jim Ranieri wrote:
>>>
>>>"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]_s04...
>>>and

>>>Looks sort of interesting, but I get the feeling the typical user will just
>>>support him or herself with the handrails and let the legs go through a
>>>passive ROM
>>
>>Probably. Just like they do on the stairmasters and the elliptical
>>trainers.
>
>Actually, except for the using your hands part, that kinda seems like
>the point to me, if you're training for skiing. Seems like you'd want
>to practice at keeping your center of gravity constant to minimize
>energy expenditure. Then, on the slopes, you should be better at just
>gliding over uneven ground.

It would have cross-specificity to riding horses and other stuff, too
(especially jumping, which I am NOT doing anymore). water skiing, or
standing in boats, hmm.... near lake, canoe, riding, hmmm....

Can I have one?

;)

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

elzinator
September 20th 04, 05:03 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:45:57 -0500, Proton Soup wrote:
>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:50:54 -0500, elzinator
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:49:14 -0500, Proton Soup wrote:

>>>Actually, except for the using your hands part, that kinda seems like
>>>the point to me, if you're training for skiing. Seems like you'd want
>>>to practice at keeping your center of gravity constant to minimize
>>>energy expenditure. Then, on the slopes, you should be better at just
>>>gliding over uneven ground.
>>
>>It would have cross-specificity to riding horses and other stuff, too
>>(especially jumping, which I am NOT doing anymore). water skiing, or
>>standing in boats, hmm.... near lake, canoe, riding, hmmm....
>>
>>Can I have one?
>>
>> ;)
>
>I would if I could, Elzi. :)

The little quadmill that could?

I wonder what the energy expenditure is on one of those things.

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

Lee Michaels
September 20th 04, 06:25 AM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:45:57 -0500, Proton Soup wrote:
> >On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:50:54 -0500, elzinator
> > wrote:

> >>It would have cross-specificity to riding horses and other stuff, too
> >>(especially jumping, which I am NOT doing anymore). water skiing, or
> >>standing in boats, hmm.... near lake, canoe, riding, hmmm....
> >>
> >>Can I have one?
> >>
> >> ;)
> >
> >I would if I could, Elzi. :)
>
> The little quadmill that could?
>
> I wonder what the energy expenditure is on one of those things.

I have talked to a couple people who have used it. When starting out, people
don't last very long. Only about two to three minutes. But it isn't from
the huffing and puffing. It is the failure of leg muscles.

I wonder if well conditioned athletes would last longer? It would seem so.
But if the stress was truly unique, perhaps not.

David
September 20th 04, 06:30 AM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...

> "elzinator" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:45:57 -0500, Proton Soup wrote:

message
> conditioning. I
> it and
> level

> ways
> prices

> will just

> > >I would if I could, Elzi. :)
> >
> > The little quadmill that could?
> >
> > I wonder what the energy expenditure is on one of those things.
> >

> I have talked to a couple people who have used it. When starting out,
people
> don't last very long. Only about two to three minutes. But it isn't from
> the huffing and puffing. It is the failure of leg muscles.
>
> I wonder if well conditioned athletes would last longer? It would seem so.
> But if the stress was truly unique, perhaps not.

Lee, just a little favour - I've upset Elzi last week and sent her an
apology but seems she might have killfiled me - could you pass that along?
Appreciate that

Tiger Hillside
September 20th 04, 12:57 PM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:35:07 GMT, "Mistress Krista"
> wrote:

>"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
>news:[email protected]_s04...
>> I heard about this today. Apparently it is used for ski conditioning. I
>> talked to one guy who says it is kind of like surfing. You get on it and
>> ride it. You maintain your position on the platform. Keep the body level
>and
>> the legs soft.
>>

>That looks pretty fun. Naturally my first instinct would be to see if I
>could do it one-legged. Whee! *falling off machine*

My first thought was whether it could handle two people at once.

G.S.
September 20th 04, 03:41 PM
David wrote:

> "Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s03...

> message

>>conditioning. I

>>it and

> body
>
>>level

> some
>
>>ways

>>prices

>>will just

> through

> want

> just

>>>The little quadmill that could?
>>>
>>>I wonder what the energy expenditure is on one of those things.
>>>

>>I have talked to a couple people who have used it. When starting out,
>
> people
>
>>don't last very long. Only about two to three minutes. But it isn't from
>>the huffing and puffing. It is the failure of leg muscles.
>>
>>I wonder if well conditioned athletes would last longer? It would seem so.
>>But if the stress was truly unique, perhaps not.
>>

> Lee, just a little favour - I've upset Elzi last week and sent her an
> apology but seems she might have killfiled me - could you pass that along?
> Appreciate that

Looks to me like it would be much more beneficial without the handrails,
somewhat akin to riding one of those "mountain" skateboards, without the
rock-rash.

Am I the *only* one that was thinking about it's possible *other"
uses??? ;-)

cheers!

Lee Michaels
September 20th 04, 04:15 PM
"G.S." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> David wrote:
>
> > "Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]_s03...

> > message

> >>conditioning. I

> >>it and

> > body
> >
> >>level

> > some
> >
> >>ways

> >>prices

> >>will just

> > through

> > want

> > just

> >>I have talked to a couple people who have used it. When starting out,
> >
> > people
> >
> >>don't last very long. Only about two to three minutes. But it isn't
from
> >>the huffing and puffing. It is the failure of leg muscles.
> >>
> >>I wonder if well conditioned athletes would last longer? It would seem
so.
> >>But if the stress was truly unique, perhaps not.
> >>

> > Lee, just a little favour - I've upset Elzi last week and sent her an
> > apology but seems she might have killfiled me - could you pass that
along?
> > Appreciate that
> >

> Looks to me like it would be much more beneficial without the handrails,
> somewhat akin to riding one of those "mountain" skateboards, without the
> rock-rash.
>
> Am I the *only* one that was thinking about it's possible *other"
> uses??? ;-)

Three comments. One for David and two for G. S.

David, I killfiled you a long time ago due to nonstop drivel and whining. If
it gets passed along, it won't be from me. Besides, I respect Elzi far to
much to provide communication services for somebody she is ignoring.

G. S., The website makes it very clear that this device can be used for many
things. As a general conditioning device, thee are a number of sports that
this is well suited for.From the website is the following quote;

"The Quadmill is applicable to any sport or activity that utilizes the legs,
back or torso. Some of these sports include downhill skiing, water skiing,
football, basketball, volleyball, tennis, soccer, mountain hiking,
snowboarding, motocross, golf, tennis, equestrian activities and track."

As for the handrails, do you think that the insurance companies would allow
a peice like this in the gym without handrails?

One trick that the guy I talked to uses is to hold a small medicine ball in
his hands when doing this exercise. This adds another bit of instability
work to the equation and keeps the hands off the handrails.

Proton Soup
September 20th 04, 04:18 PM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:41:24 GMT, "G.S."
> wrote:

>Am I the *only* one that was thinking about it's possible *other"
>uses??? ;-)

No.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Richard Smith
September 20th 04, 06:56 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s04...

> "G.S." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > David wrote:
> >
> > > "Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]_s03...

> > > message

> > > body

> > > some

> > > through

> like
> > >
> > > want

> > > just

> > > people

> from

> so.
> > >>

> > > Lee, just a little favour - I've upset Elzi last week and sent her an
> > > apology but seems she might have killfiled me - could you pass that
> along?
> > > Appreciate that
> > >

> > Looks to me like it would be much more beneficial without the handrails,
> > somewhat akin to riding one of those "mountain" skateboards, without the
> > rock-rash.
> >
> > Am I the *only* one that was thinking about it's possible *other"
> > uses??? ;-)
> >
> Three comments. One for David and two for G. S.
>
> David, I killfiled you a long time ago due to nonstop drivel and whining.
If
> it gets passed along, it won't be from me. Besides, I respect Elzi far to
> much to provide communication services for somebody she is ignoring.
>
> G. S., The website makes it very clear that this device can be used for
many
> things. As a general conditioning device, thee are a number of sports that
> this is well suited for.From the website is the following quote;
>
> "The Quadmill is applicable to any sport or activity that utilizes the
legs,
> back or torso. Some of these sports include downhill skiing, water skiing,
> football, basketball, volleyball, tennis, soccer, mountain hiking,
> snowboarding, motocross, golf, tennis, equestrian activities and track."
>
> As for the handrails, do you think that the insurance companies would
allow
> a peice like this in the gym without handrails?
>
> One trick that the guy I talked to uses is to hold a small medicine ball
in
> his hands when doing this exercise. This adds another bit of instability
> work to the equation and keeps the hands off the handrails.

I think you miss-spelled "oxygen and water bottles" as "small medicine
ball".

Owie.

Richard

David
September 20th 04, 07:35 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s04...

> "G.S." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

[.....]
> > rock-rash.
> >
> > Am I the *only* one that was thinking about it's possible *other"
> > uses??? ;-)
> >
> Three comments. One for David and two for G. S.
>
> David, I killfiled you a long time ago due to nonstop drivel and whining.
If
> it gets passed along, it won't be from me. Besides, I respect Elzi far to
> much to provide communication services for somebody she is ignoring.

I please guilty to nonstop drivel - BUT I do not whine and never have - not
once. Ever. So please pass that apology on to Elzi if you really do respect
her.

David
September 20th 04, 07:40 PM
"David" > wrote in message

> "Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s04...
> >
> > "G.S." > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
>
> [.....]
> > > rock-rash.
> > >
> > > Am I the *only* one that was thinking about it's possible *other"
> > > uses??? ;-)
> > >
> > Three comments. One for David and two for G. S.
> >
> > David, I killfiled you a long time ago due to nonstop drivel and
whining.
> If
> > it gets passed along, it won't be from me. Besides, I respect Elzi far
> > much to provide communication services for somebody she is ignoring.
> >
> I please guilty to nonstop drivel - BUT I do not whine and never have -
not
> once. Ever. So please pass that apology on to Elzi if you really do
respect
> her.

(Typo - should be "plead" guilty)

bc
September 20th 04, 10:09 PM
"G.S." > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> David wrote:
>
> > "Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]_s03...

> > message

> >>conditioning. I

> >>it and

> > body
> >
> >>level

> > some
> >
> >>ways

> >>prices

> Looks to me like it would be much more beneficial without the handrails,
> somewhat akin to riding one of those "mountain" skateboards, without the
> rock-rash.

I was left thinking that it would be nice if the platform under your
feet tipped left to right as well, giving more single leg emphasis for
downhill skiing.

- bc

elzinator
September 21st 04, 02:41 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 05:25:23 GMT, Lee Michaels wrote:

>"elzinator" > wrote in message
>> I wonder what the energy expenditure is on one of those things.
>>

>I have talked to a couple people who have used it. When starting out, people
>don't last very long. Only about two to three minutes. But it isn't from
>the huffing and puffing. It is the failure of leg muscles.
>
>I wonder if well conditioned athletes would last longer? It would seem so.
>But if the stress was truly unique, perhaps not.

Sure. They may adapt faster, though.
I'm enthralled with this contraption. :)

BTW, did you receive an email from me re: the property/house? I had an
error message ('Can't send for some stupid reason'), but my outbox
shows that it was sent. So I don't know if it is lost in cyberspace or
what.

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

elzinator
September 21st 04, 02:55 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 05:25:23 GMT, Lee Michaels wrote:

>"elzinator" > wrote in message
>> I wonder what the energy expenditure is on one of those things.
>>

>I have talked to a couple people who have used it. When starting out, people
>don't last very long. Only about two to three minutes. But it isn't from
>the huffing and puffing. It is the failure of leg muscles.
>
>I wonder if well conditioned athletes would last longer? It would seem so.
>But if the stress was truly unique, perhaps not.

Sure. They may adapt faster, though.
I'm enthralled with this contraption. :)

BTW, did you receive an email from me re: the property/house? I had an
error message ('Can't send for some stupid reason'), but my outbox
shows that it was sent. So I don't know if it is lost in cyberspace or
what.

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

Lee Michaels
September 21st 04, 04:44 AM
"elzinator" > wrote

> BTW, did you receive an email from me re: the property/house? I had an
> error message ('Can't send for some stupid reason'), but my outbox
> shows that it was sent. So I don't know if it is lost in cyberspace or
> what.

I got it and sent a reply.