PDA

View Full Version : Protein and constipation

Ed
September 19th 04, 06:37 PM
Hi folks,

In preparation for doing a serious high-protein lifting diet and to start
getting my body used to it, I've upped my protein to about 80 g a day, which
is a bit more than half of my eventual target of 150 g a day (my body weight
is 152 pounds).

This protein comes from a mix of tuna (1 can a day), chicken breast (200-400
g depending on the day), eggs (3 x medium) and milk (1 litre per day, but
depending on how much chicken I've eaten).

But I've found I'm becoming constipated as hell, and therefore worry how bad
it will be when I really go for the full-bore diet.

I'm eating 2-3 pieces of fruit a day, plus about 1-2 litres of water.

Since you guys are eating lots more protein than I am, I'm wondering how you
avoid this problem. Do I need to eat more fruit? Which fruits are best?
Drink more water? Or is there something else I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks for any good advice :-)

Cheers!

Ed

Justin Case
September 19th 04, 06:57 PM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:37:29 +0200, "Ed" > wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>In preparation for doing a serious high-protein lifting diet and to start
>getting my body used to it, I've upped my protein to about 80 g a day, which
>is a bit more than half of my eventual target of 150 g a day (my body weight
>is 152 pounds).
>
>This protein comes from a mix of tuna (1 can a day), chicken breast (200-400
>g depending on the day), eggs (3 x medium) and milk (1 litre per day, but
>depending on how much chicken I've eaten).
>
>But I've found I'm becoming constipated as hell, and therefore worry how bad
>it will be when I really go for the full-bore diet.
>
>I'm eating 2-3 pieces of fruit a day, plus about 1-2 litres of water.
>
>Since you guys are eating lots more protein than I am, I'm wondering how you
>avoid this problem. Do I need to eat more fruit? Which fruits are best?
>Drink more water? Or is there something else I can do to solve this problem?
>
>Thanks for any good advice :-)

You need fiber. A bowl of all bran cereal does the trick. I don't
worry about the carbs from all bran weather low carbing or not. It's
mostly fiber. You can try metamucil or psylum something or other, seed
or husk. I never used it myself.

Mistress Krista
September 19th 04, 07:33 PM
"Ed" > wrote in message

> Since you guys are eating lots more protein than I am, I'm wondering how
you
> avoid this problem. Do I need to eat more fruit? Which fruits are best?
> Drink more water?

Fibre from fruit/veg/legumes/whole grains is always a good start, as is
plenty of water. Then, you bring out the Big Kahuna: psyllium. You can buy
it as Metamucil in the drugstore, or just the psyllium husks at a health
food store. It mixes nicely into protein shakes and tastes inoffensively
like Tang on its own. As a side benefit, it's been shown to lower LDL (bad)
cholesterol.

Krista

--
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
http://www.trans-health.com

Wayne S. Hill
September 19th 04, 09:50 PM
Ed wrote:

> In preparation for doing a serious high-protein lifting diet
> and to start getting my body used to it, I've upped my
> protein to about 80 g a day, which is a bit more than half
> of my eventual target of 150 g a day (my body weight is 152
> pounds).
>
> This protein comes from a mix of tuna (1 can a day),

40 grams protein

> chicken breast (200-400 g depending on the day),

60-120 grams protein

> eggs (3 x medium)

about 18 grams protein

> and milk (1 litre per day, but depending on how much chicken
> I've eaten).

34 grams protein

--
-Wayne

Helgi Briem
September 20th 04, 11:27 AM
On 19 Sep 2004 20:50:31 GMT, "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote:

>Ed wrote:
>
>> In preparation for doing a serious high-protein lifting diet
>> and to start getting my body used to it, I've upped my
>> protein to about 80 g a day, which is a bit more than half
>> of my eventual target of 150 g a day (my body weight is 152
>> pounds).
>>
>> This protein comes from a mix of tuna (1 can a day),
>
>40 grams protein
>
>> chicken breast (200-400 g depending on the day),
>
>60-120 grams protein
>
>> eggs (3 x medium)
>
>about 18 grams protein
>
>> and milk (1 litre per day, but depending on how much chicken
>> I've eaten).
>
>34 grams protein

Yes, I was thinking the same. Way more than 80g total.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!