PDA

View Full Version : rowing machine advice

bunnyKilla
September 19th 04, 08:42 PM
Can anybody recommend or offer any advice on a rowing machine for home use.

Concept2 is a bit pricey, i'm thinking of a used model for around 150.

ideas thoughts would be welcome, esp from someone who uses a rower.

bunnykilla

Jim
September 19th 04, 10:17 PM
"bunnyKilla" > wrote in message
> Can anybody recommend or offer any advice on a rowing machine for home
use.

> Concept2 is a bit pricey, i'm thinking of a used model for around 150.
>
> ideas thoughts would be welcome, esp from someone who uses a rower.
>
> bunnykilla

I dont know alot about it,but a couple years ago I was interested and did
some research. Apparently,the Concept 2 is the only way to go. They have a
good website from what I remember.

Jim

Goran Tomas
September 19th 04, 10:53 PM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:17:24 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:
>I dont know alot about it,but a couple years ago I was interested and did
>some research. Apparently,the Concept 2 is the only way to go. They have a
>good website from what I remember.

True. Concept2 is the only way to go!

Regards,
Goran Tomas
(a former rower)

Jim
September 19th 04, 10:57 PM
Here is the website. Even if you dont buy the product it is excellent. Gives
workouts and everything relative to indoor rowing

http://www.concept2.com/

bunnyKilla
September 19th 04, 11:27 PM
Goran Tomas wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:17:24 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:
>
>>I dont know alot about it,but a couple years ago I was interested and did
>>some research. Apparently,the Concept 2 is the only way to go. They have a
>>good website from what I remember.
>

> True. Concept2 is the only way to go!
>

> Regards,
> Goran Tomas
> (a former rower)

Shame theyre so bloody expensive lol

Does anyone here row on anything other than a concept2?

Im not after a great rowing simulator, all i want is to do some rowing 3
times a week to increase my fitness levels and trim my waist by a few
inches over the winter months.

I find it hard to believe that Delta or Tunturi can't offer a reasonably
built rower at cheaper price than the concept2.

bunnykilla

Jim
September 19th 04, 11:36 PM
"bunnyKilla" > wrote in message
> Goran Tomas wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:17:24 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:
> >
> >>I dont know alot about it,but a couple years ago I was interested and
did
> >>some research. Apparently,the Concept 2 is the only way to go. They have
> >>good website from what I remember.
> >

> > True. Concept2 is the only way to go!
> >

> > Regards,
> > Goran Tomas
> > (a former rower)
>
> Shame theyre so bloody expensive lol
>
> Does anyone here row on anything other than a concept2?
>
> Im not after a great rowing simulator, all i want is to do some rowing 3
> times a week to increase my fitness levels and trim my waist by a few
> inches over the winter months.
>
> I find it hard to believe that Delta or Tunturi can't offer a reasonably
> built rower at cheaper price than the concept2.
>
> bunnykilla

Is there a gym near you that has one? Maybe I'm spoiled,but the 40 dollars a
month I spend for a gym membership gives me everything.

Jim

bunnyKilla
September 19th 04, 11:50 PM
Jim wrote:

> "bunnyKilla" > wrote in message
>
>>Goran Tomas wrote:

> did

>>>True. Concept2 is the only way to go!
>>>

>>>Regards,
>>>Goran Tomas
>>>(a former rower)
>>
>>Shame theyre so bloody expensive lol
>>
>>Does anyone here row on anything other than a concept2?
>>
>>Im not after a great rowing simulator, all i want is to do some rowing 3
>>times a week to increase my fitness levels and trim my waist by a few
>>inches over the winter months.
>>
>>I find it hard to believe that Delta or Tunturi can't offer a reasonably
>>built rower at cheaper price than the concept2.
>>
>>bunnykilla
>

> Is there a gym near you that has one? Maybe I'm spoiled,but the 40 dollars a
> month I spend for a gym membership gives me everything.
>
> Jim

The gym i used to go to has a concept2, but ive recently bought myself a
powerrack and set up my own homegym, to save money on gym fees and
travelling costs to and from the gym.

I will check the local free ads papers for a secondhand rower.

thanks to everyone who answered.

bunnykilla

Pat Styles
September 20th 04, 02:40 AM
"bunnyKilla" > wrote in message
> Can anybody recommend or offer any advice on a rowing machine for home use.
>
> Concept2 is a bit pricey, i'm thinking of a used model for around 150.
>
> ideas thoughts would be welcome, esp from someone who uses a rower.
>
> bunnykilla

Concept 2 is the only worthwhile one I'm familiar with. Have you tried finding
a used or older model one?
ps

kurt
September 20th 04, 03:36 AM
buny killa just get some elastic bands with handles and wrap'em around your
sofa legs and sit on the floor and start rowing away, its cheap and
effective
"bunnyKilla" > wrote in message
> Can anybody recommend or offer any advice on a rowing machine for home
> use.
>
> Concept2 is a bit pricey, i'm thinking of a used model for around 150.
>
> ideas thoughts would be welcome, esp from someone who uses a rower.
>
> bunnykilla

Al Dykes
September 20th 04, 03:43 AM
In article t>,
kurt > wrote:
>buny killa just get some elastic bands with handles and wrap'em around your
>sofa legs and sit on the floor and start rowing away, its cheap and
>effective
>"bunnyKilla" > wrote in message
>> Can anybody recommend or offer any advice on a rowing machine for home
>> use.
>>
>> Concept2 is a bit pricey, i'm thinking of a used model for around 150.
>>
>> ideas thoughts would be welcome, esp from someone who uses a rower.
>>
>> bunnykilla

There are lots of Concept machines on Ebay, you can sort the list by
distance from your zip code so you can find one within driving
distance.

Check the concept web site for the avalability of spare parts.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Hugh Beyer
September 20th 04, 06:42 AM
Goran Tomas > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:17:24 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:
>>I dont know alot about it,but a couple years ago I was interested and did
>>some research. Apparently,the Concept 2 is the only way to go. They have a
>>good website from what I remember.
>
> True. Concept2 is the only way to go!

Bull****. Check out the water rower. Twice as expensive, but oh my god next
best thing to being on the water.

Concept2's a clanky contraption by comparison.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Peter Allen
September 20th 04, 01:32 PM
bunnyKilla > wrote in message >...
> Can anybody recommend or offer any advice on a rowing machine for home use.
>
> Concept2 is a bit pricey, i'm thinking of a used model for around 150.
>
> ideas thoughts would be welcome, esp from someone who uses a rower.
>
> bunnykilla

CIIs are the standard - don't lose value quickly, so you'll probably
not be able to find one much below new price until it's ten years old
and badly maintained. Keep the chain lightly oiled and wipe dry the
metal bits after use, and it'll not lose much value for a few years,
and it'll last 10 years at least. 150 probably won't find you one.

Other decent ones are Rowperfect and Waterrower, but RP are more
expensive (they are better, moving flywheel - more like real rowing,
and can be computer connected to give lots of useful stuff: but you
won't care about that unless you're really rowing). Waterrower are
nice enough to use, but the monitor is badly duff - doesn't really
care how much work you're doing, just guesses off stroke length and
rate, IIRC, which means you can't really tell whether you're working
well.

Others tend to be crap, either they break or they don't allow proper
motion and break you.

Peter

bunnyKilla
September 20th 04, 02:38 PM
Peter Allen wrote:
> bunnyKilla > wrote in message >...
>
>>Can anybody recommend or offer any advice on a rowing machine for home use.
>>
>>Concept2 is a bit pricey, i'm thinking of a used model for around 150.
>>
>>ideas thoughts would be welcome, esp from someone who uses a rower.
>>
>>bunnykilla
>

> CIIs are the standard - don't lose value quickly, so you'll probably
> not be able to find one much below new price until it's ten years old
> and badly maintained. Keep the chain lightly oiled and wipe dry the
> metal bits after use, and it'll not lose much value for a few years,
> and it'll last 10 years at least. 150 probably won't find you one.
>
> Other decent ones are Rowperfect and Waterrower, but RP are more
> expensive (they are better, moving flywheel - more like real rowing,
> and can be computer connected to give lots of useful stuff: but you
> won't care about that unless you're really rowing). Waterrower are
> nice enough to use, but the monitor is badly duff - doesn't really
> care how much work you're doing, just guesses off stroke length and
> rate, IIRC, which means you can't really tell whether you're working
> well.
>
> Others tend to be crap, either they break or they don't allow proper
> motion and break you.
>
> Peter

OK ive done loads of reading and listened to everyones advice and a c2
is the way to go.

Just a matter of checking the local ads and seeing whats available,
cheers guys.

bunnykilla