PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question ..

Jim P.
September 19th 04, 09:24 PM
This newsgroup has been really helpful, thank you. Should I be able to do
lots of bodyweight only exercises (squats, pull-ups, pushups, dips, sit-ups)
and reps before I should even consider picking up iron?
Serious question. I'm 43 and trying to get back into shape after a layoff.

Jim

Jim
September 19th 04, 10:03 PM
"Jim P." > wrote in message
news:nWl3d.76032$D%[email protected]_s51...
> This newsgroup has been really helpful, thank you. Should I be able to do
> lots of bodyweight only exercises (squats, pull-ups, pushups, dips,
sit-ups)
> and reps before I should even consider picking up iron?
> Serious question. I'm 43 and trying to get back into shape after a
layoff.

You should be able to and it wouldnt hurt,either would picking up some
weights. You might want to start off getting use to squats with at least the
bar though. It helps to have a little bit of weight there to get your form
right.

Jim

Mistress Krista
September 19th 04, 10:08 PM
"Jim P." > wrote in message
news:nWl3d.76032$D%[email protected]_s51...
> This newsgroup has been really helpful, thank you. Should I be able to do
> lots of bodyweight only exercises (squats, pull-ups, pushups, dips,
sit-ups)
> and reps before I should even consider picking up iron?
> Serious question. I'm 43 and trying to get back into shape after a
layoff.

Iron comes in very small sizes. One thing I do with newbies is show them the
2.5 lb. plate so they understand that "free weights" needn't be giant lumps
of pig iron. You simply execute the lifts with the weight that is
appropriate for your current level of fitness.

That being said, bodyweight exercises such as the type you mention are a
great start, and many of them, such as pullups, still form the basis for
many experienced trainers' workouts. I like to have newbies start with 2 to
3 sets of 15-20 unweighted squats with good form and nice depth before they
attempt any additional resistance. This builds the balance, flexibility, and
confidence that will assist them to do the movement correctly with added
weight.

Why not read up on good form, such as at www.exrx.net, and pick a few
additional exercises to augment your bodyweight work? Rows, calf raises,
and presses are nice additions.

Krista

--
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
http://www.trans-health.com

Jim
September 19th 04, 10:48 PM
"Mistress Krista" > wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...

> "Jim P." > wrote in message
> news:nWl3d.76032$D%[email protected]_s51...
> > This newsgroup has been really helpful, thank you. Should I be able to
do
> > lots of bodyweight only exercises (squats, pull-ups, pushups, dips,
> sit-ups)
> > and reps before I should even consider picking up iron?
> > Serious question. I'm 43 and trying to get back into shape after a
> layoff.
>

> Iron comes in very small sizes. One thing I do with newbies is show them
the
> 2.5 lb. plate so they understand that "free weights" needn't be giant
lumps
> of pig iron. You simply execute the lifts with the weight that is
> appropriate for your current level of fitness.
>
> That being said, bodyweight exercises such as the type you mention are a
> great start, and many of them, such as pullups, still form the basis for
> many experienced trainers' workouts. I like to have newbies start with 2
> 3 sets of 15-20 unweighted squats with good form and nice depth before
they
> attempt any additional resistance. This builds the balance, flexibility,
and
> confidence that will assist them to do the movement correctly with added
> weight.
>
> Why not read up on good form, such as at www.exrx.net, and pick a few
> additional exercises to augment your bodyweight work? Rows, calf raises,
> and presses are nice additions.
>

> Krista
>
> --
> http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
> http://www.trans-health.com
> mistresskrista at stumptuous dot com

Agreed,the reason I mentioned having some weight when learning squats is
that worked for me. I cannot keep my heels down without some weight. No
biggy.

Jim

Proton Soup
September 19th 04, 11:05 PM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:48:51 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:

>"Mistress Krista" > wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...

>> "Jim P." > wrote in message
>> news:nWl3d.76032$D%[email protected]_s51...
>> > This newsgroup has been really helpful, thank you. Should I be able to
>do
>> > lots of bodyweight only exercises (squats, pull-ups, pushups, dips,
>> sit-ups)
>> > and reps before I should even consider picking up iron?
>> > Serious question. I'm 43 and trying to get back into shape after a
>> layoff.
>>

>> Iron comes in very small sizes. One thing I do with newbies is show them
>the
>> 2.5 lb. plate so they understand that "free weights" needn't be giant
>lumps
>> of pig iron. You simply execute the lifts with the weight that is
>> appropriate for your current level of fitness.
>>
>> That being said, bodyweight exercises such as the type you mention are a
>> great start, and many of them, such as pullups, still form the basis for
>> many experienced trainers' workouts. I like to have newbies start with 2
>> 3 sets of 15-20 unweighted squats with good form and nice depth before
>they
>> attempt any additional resistance. This builds the balance, flexibility,
>and
>> confidence that will assist them to do the movement correctly with added
>> weight.
>>
>> Why not read up on good form, such as at www.exrx.net, and pick a few
>> additional exercises to augment your bodyweight work? Rows, calf raises,
>> and presses are nice additions.
>>

>> Krista
>>
>> --
>> http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
>> http://www.trans-health.com
>> mistresskrista at stumptuous dot com
>>

>Agreed,the reason I mentioned having some weight when learning squats is
>that worked for me. I cannot keep my heels down without some weight. No
>biggy.

I can just barely do a flat-footed free squat, but I have to stretch
my arms out front and center to act as a ballast. Else, I'm likely to
tumble back on my ass.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Jim
September 19th 04, 11:25 PM
"Proton Soup" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:48:51 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:
>

> >"Mistress Krista" > wrote in message
> . cable.rogers.com...
> >>
> >> "Jim P." > wrote in message
> >> news:nWl3d.76032$D%[email protected]_s51...
> >do
> >> sit-ups)
> >> layoff.
> >>

> >> Iron comes in very small sizes. One thing I do with newbies is show
them
> >the
> >> 2.5 lb. plate so they understand that "free weights" needn't be giant
> >lumps
> >> of pig iron. You simply execute the lifts with the weight that is
> >> appropriate for your current level of fitness.
> >>
> >> That being said, bodyweight exercises such as the type you mention are
> >> great start, and many of them, such as pullups, still form the basis
for
> >> many experienced trainers' workouts. I like to have newbies start with
2
> >> 3 sets of 15-20 unweighted squats with good form and nice depth before
> >they
> >> attempt any additional resistance. This builds the balance,
flexibility,
> >and
> >> confidence that will assist them to do the movement correctly with
added
> >> weight.
> >>
> >> Why not read up on good form, such as at www.exrx.net, and pick a few
> >> additional exercises to augment your bodyweight work? Rows, calf
raises,
> >> and presses are nice additions.
> >>

> >> Krista
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
> >> http://www.trans-health.com
> >> mistresskrista at stumptuous dot com
> >>

> >Agreed,the reason I mentioned having some weight when learning squats is
> >that worked for me. I cannot keep my heels down without some weight. No
> >biggy.
>
> I can just barely do a flat-footed free squat, but I have to stretch
> my arms out front and center to act as a ballast. Else, I'm likely to
> tumble back on my ass.

I am "blessed" with muscular calves. They need a good stretch for me to flat
foot squat.

Jim

Jim P.
September 20th 04, 02:07 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I'm off to throw my weight around......

Jim

bc
September 20th 04, 11:48 PM
"Jim P." > wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s52>...
> Thanks to all who responded. I'm off to throw my weight around......
>
> Jim

You didn't really tell us much about your current condition. If
you're really heavy, then "lots of bodyweight exercises" could be
pretty taxing. Especially pullups.

Weights are nice that way. You can pretty much find whatever
resistance you need to get going.

About that throwing thing though, don't do it at the gym. Someone
might throw it back.

- bc

Jim P.
September 21st 04, 04:25 AM
"
> You didn't really tell us much about your current condition. If
> you're really heavy, then "lots of bodyweight exercises" could be
> pretty taxing. Especially pullups.
>
> Weights are nice that way. You can pretty much find whatever
> resistance you need to get going.
>
> About that throwing thing though, don't do it at the gym. Someone
> might throw it back.
>
> - bc

I'm 43, 6', 235lbs, 25% BF. I do Taekwondo 2-3 days a week. I would like
to drop my BF down to 15% but I like to eat to damn much. I just had a
lipid panel done and my numbers are bad (215 cholesterol, too much bad
fat-not enough good fat) I can only do one honest pull-up-I use an assist
machine at the gym in order to do reps. I can do about 25 knuckle pushups,
45 sit-ups and 30 body weight squats in one circuit. So it's time to get
serious about nutrition and cardio as well.

Jim

bc
September 23rd 04, 05:51 AM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:25:31 GMT, "Jim P." >
wrote:

>"
>> You didn't really tell us much about your current condition. If
>> you're really heavy, then "lots of bodyweight exercises" could be
>> pretty taxing. Especially pullups.
>>
>> Weights are nice that way. You can pretty much find whatever
>> resistance you need to get going.
>>
>> About that throwing thing though, don't do it at the gym. Someone
>> might throw it back.
>>
>> - bc
>

>I'm 43, 6', 235lbs, 25% BF. I do Taekwondo 2-3 days a week. I would like
>to drop my BF down to 15% but I like to eat to damn much. I just had a
>lipid panel done and my numbers are bad (215 cholesterol, too much bad
>fat-not enough good fat) I can only do one honest pull-up-I use an assist
>machine at the gym in order to do reps. I can do about 25 knuckle pushups,
>45 sit-ups and 30 body weight squats in one circuit. So it's time to get
>serious about nutrition and cardio as well.
>
>Jim

You're definitely ready to use weights. I'll bet, given those
numbers, you'll get strong plenty fast because you already have a good
amount of muscle. Just imagine yourself as a lean, cut 190 pounder
doing that pullup with a 45 strapped on your waist. You stud you.

- bc