PDA

View Full Version : Keith's famous daughter

Will
September 20th 04, 12:12 AM
FYI Keith - A new powerlifting gym opened up in town here. On the wall
are several articles about powerlifting and lifters. One of them is
"Powerlifting Girl Style training with Meghan Hobman". I had nothing to
do with posting it.

elzinator
September 20th 04, 03:21 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:12:51 -0700, Will wrote:
>FYI Keith - A new powerlifting gym opened up in town here. On the wall
>are several articles about powerlifting and lifters. One of them is
>"Powerlifting Girl Style training with Meghan Hobman". I had nothing to
>do with posting it.

Very cool!!!

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

Keith Hobman
September 20th 04, 04:09 AM
In article >, nospam.net wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:12:51 -0700, Will wrote:
> >FYI Keith - A new powerlifting gym opened up in town here. On the wall
> >are several articles about powerlifting and lifters. One of them is
> >"Powerlifting Girl Style training with Meghan Hobman". I had nothing to
> >do with posting it.
>
> Very cool!!!

I was giving Meghan a hard time about being 'retired' at the ripe old age
of 18. She pointed out she hasn't lifted since she was 15, but I
considered switching sports an okay thing.

I wish she would get back into it...

elzinator
September 20th 04, 05:01 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:09:49 -0600, Keith Hobman wrote:
>In article >, nospam.net wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:12:51 -0700, Will wrote:
>> >FYI Keith - A new powerlifting gym opened up in town here. On the wall
>> >are several articles about powerlifting and lifters. One of them is
>> >"Powerlifting Girl Style training with Meghan Hobman". I had nothing to
>> >do with posting it.
>>
>> Very cool!!!
>
>I was giving Meghan a hard time about being 'retired' at the ripe old age
>of 18. She pointed out she hasn't lifted since she was 15, but I
>considered switching sports an okay thing.
>
>I wish she would get back into it...

She may; she's still young. Don't push her (absolutely wrong thing to
do, Dad :)

BTW, what's good training for pounding fence posts? Relative
intensity? Frequency? Volume? How many can I do in one day and still
have shoulders and arms left?
(I used to do a sort of plyometric movement doing this to spare the
impact on my arms and shoulders. It gets to them quickly after
pounding posts in for hours, sometimes with arms going numb at the end
of the day. I learned how to let gravity do most of the work.)

I think Lee and I need to write "The Guide to Training for Ranch
Work".

BTW, for the first time, I got to see Romanian Deadlifts performed
today. Ouch - no thanks.

(punchy from pause deadlifts and max benches and not enough sleep....)

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

Randy Shrader
September 20th 04, 05:53 AM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
> BTW, what's good training for pounding fence posts? Relative
> intensity? Frequency? Volume? How many can I do in one day and still
> have shoulders and arms left?

Lay an old tire on the ground and beat it with a sledge?

Randy

Hugh Beyer
September 20th 04, 06:33 AM
(Keith Hobman) wrote in news:[email protected]
192.168.1.102:

> In article >, nospam.net wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:12:51 -0700, Will wrote:
>> >FYI Keith - A new powerlifting gym opened up in town here. On the wall
>> >are several articles about powerlifting and lifters. One of them is
>> >"Powerlifting Girl Style training with Meghan Hobman". I had nothing to
>> >do with posting it.
>>
>> Very cool!!!
>
> I was giving Meghan a hard time about being 'retired' at the ripe old age
> of 18. She pointed out she hasn't lifted since she was 15, but I
> considered switching sports an okay thing.
>
> I wish she would get back into it...

Tell her she has a fan club out here.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Keith Hobman
September 20th 04, 08:07 PM
In article >, nospam.net wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:09:49 -0600, Keith Hobman wrote:

> >> Very cool!!!
> >
> >I was giving Meghan a hard time about being 'retired' at the ripe old age
> >of 18. She pointed out she hasn't lifted since she was 15, but I
> >considered switching sports an okay thing.
> >
> >I wish she would get back into it...
>
> She may; she's still young. Don't push her (absolutely wrong thing to
> do, Dad :)
>
> BTW, what's good training for pounding fence posts? Relative
> intensity? Frequency? Volume? How many can I do in one day and still
> have shoulders and arms left?
> (I used to do a sort of plyometric movement doing this to spare the
> impact on my arms and shoulders. It gets to them quickly after
> pounding posts in for hours, sometimes with arms going numb at the end
> of the day. I learned how to let gravity do most of the work.)
>
> I think Lee and I need to write "The Guide to Training for Ranch
> Work".

Rocky Marciano used to swing an axe and sledge, which he claimed taught
him to hit harder. He also did resistance training in a pool. Dude was way
ahead of his time.

My take on ranch work - you are going to hurt. There is no getting around it.

:^)

--
My advice and opinions reflect my personality and goals.
I have no desire to cover my ass and all the bases with

elzinator
September 21st 04, 02:43 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:07:07 -0600, Keith Hobman wrote:
>In article >, nospam.net wrote:

>> BTW, what's good training for pounding fence posts? Relative
>> intensity? Frequency? Volume? How many can I do in one day and still
>> have shoulders and arms left?
>> (I used to do a sort of plyometric movement doing this to spare the
>> impact on my arms and shoulders. It gets to them quickly after
>> pounding posts in for hours, sometimes with arms going numb at the end
>> of the day. I learned how to let gravity do most of the work.)
>>
>> I think Lee and I need to write "The Guide to Training for Ranch
>> Work".
>
>Rocky Marciano used to swing an axe and sledge, which he claimed taught
>him to hit harder. He also did resistance training in a pool. Dude was way
>ahead of his time.

The odd thing is that in functional use of axe and sledge (used them
plenty enough). you learn to swing and let the height, momentum and
gravity actually do the 'hard' work: the impact hit. It saves the arms
and shoulders. When you do the swing, the force originates from the
torso and from the legs, with a bit of a quick knee bend and power up
with the swing. It embraces much of the same principles of OL lifts.
(maybe that's why I took so quick to the OL lifts). I bet Wayne can
expand on this similarity.

I adapted that to using the metal post driver. And put in a fence
circling 15 acres at the ranch (with cross-fencing for the horse
pasture). It appears I may be replacing a bunch of fence again :)

Resistance training in a pool? How did he do that?

>My take on ranch work - you are going to hurt. There is no getting around it.

Yes, I know. Did it for many years and, oddly enough, I miss it.
But I don't miss lambing season.......

"What if the forces of anarchy and chaos appeared while
you weren't thinking?"
- Inspector Raymond Fowler

MJL
September 21st 04, 03:25 AM
wrote:

>In article >, nospam.net wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:12:51 -0700, Will wrote:
>> >FYI Keith - A new powerlifting gym opened up in town here. On the wall
>> >are several articles about powerlifting and lifters. One of them is
>> >"Powerlifting Girl Style training with Meghan Hobman". I had nothing to
>> >do with posting it.
>>
>> Very cool!!!
>
>I was giving Meghan a hard time about being 'retired' at the ripe old age
>of 18. She pointed out she hasn't lifted since she was 15, but I
>considered switching sports an okay thing.
>
>I wish she would get back into it...

She has more sense than her old man (heh heh heh).

--
http://www.texansfortruth.org/

Rutabaga22
September 21st 04, 06:29 AM
>Tell her she has a fan club out here.

Count me in it too.

The article may have come off of Krista's web site, I'm not sure.

Keith Hobman
September 21st 04, 02:55 PM
In article >, nospam.net wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:07:07 -0600, Keith Hobman wrote:
> >In article >, nospam.net wrote:
>
> >> BTW, what's good training for pounding fence posts? Relative
> >> intensity? Frequency? Volume? How many can I do in one day and still
> >> have shoulders and arms left?
> >> (I used to do a sort of plyometric movement doing this to spare the
> >> impact on my arms and shoulders. It gets to them quickly after
> >> pounding posts in for hours, sometimes with arms going numb at the end
> >> of the day. I learned how to let gravity do most of the work.)
> >>
> >> I think Lee and I need to write "The Guide to Training for Ranch
> >> Work".
> >
> >Rocky Marciano used to swing an axe and sledge, which he claimed taught
> >him to hit harder. He also did resistance training in a pool. Dude was way
> >ahead of his time.
>
> The odd thing is that in functional use of axe and sledge (used them
> plenty enough). you learn to swing and let the height, momentum and
> gravity actually do the 'hard' work: the impact hit. It saves the arms
> and shoulders. When you do the swing, the force originates from the
> torso and from the legs, with a bit of a quick knee bend and power up
> with the swing. It embraces much of the same principles of OL lifts.
> (maybe that's why I took so quick to the OL lifts). I bet Wayne can
> expand on this similarity.
>
> I adapted that to using the metal post driver. And put in a fence
> circling 15 acres at the ranch (with cross-fencing for the horse
> pasture). It appears I may be replacing a bunch of fence again :)
>
> Resistance training in a pool? How did he do that?

He had wings built for a bar. I think he only did curls tho...

:^|

--
My advice and opinions reflect my personality and goals.
I have no desire to cover my ass and all the bases with
disclaimers about who this is good for and who it is not
good for. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Keith Hobman
September 21st 04, 02:56 PM
In article >, MJL
> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:09:49 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
> wrote:

> >> Very cool!!!
> >
> >I was giving Meghan a hard time about being 'retired' at the ripe old age
> >of 18. She pointed out she hasn't lifted since she was 15, but I
> >considered switching sports an okay thing.
> >
> >I wish she would get back into it...
>
> She has more sense than her old man (heh heh heh).

What? Not exercising is more sensible?

--
My advice and opinions reflect my personality and goals.
I have no desire to cover my ass and all the bases with
disclaimers about who this is good for and who it is not
good for. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.

MJL
September 22nd 04, 12:23 AM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:56:21 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote:

>In article >, MJL
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:09:49 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
>> wrote:

>> >I was giving Meghan a hard time about being 'retired' at the ripe old age
>> >of 18. She pointed out she hasn't lifted since she was 15, but I
>> >considered switching sports an okay thing.
>> >
>> >I wish she would get back into it...
>>
>> She has more sense than her old man (heh heh heh).
>
>What? Not exercising is more sensible?

Not powerlifting (recreationally or competitively or professionally).

--
http://www.texansfortruth.org/

Keith Hobman
September 22nd 04, 08:05 PM
In article >, MJL
> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:56:21 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
> wrote:
>
> >In article >, MJL
> > wrote:

> >> She has more sense than her old man (heh heh heh).
> >
> >What? Not exercising is more sensible?
>
> Not powerlifting (recreationally or competitively or professionally).

I beg to differ. If done rationally powerlifting is a very safe sport.
Much less chance of injury than, say, running. Check out the studies.
Competitive lifters are less likely to be injured than recreational
lifters, although in reality I suspect intelligent recreational lifters
are less likely. It's the testosterone filled show-offs in the gym that
cause most injuries, IMO.

That would preclude most competitive lifters.

--
My advice and opinions reflect my personality and goals.
I have no desire to cover my ass and all the bases with
disclaimers about who this is good for and who it is not
good for. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Randy Shrader
September 22nd 04, 08:47 PM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message news:khobman->>
>> Not powerlifting (recreationally or competitively or professionally).
>
> I beg to differ. If done rationally powerlifting is a very safe sport.
> Much less chance of injury than, say, running. Check out the studies.
> Competitive lifters are less likely to be injured than recreational
> lifters, although in reality I suspect intelligent recreational lifters
> are less likely. It's the testosterone filled show-offs in the gym that
> cause most injuries, IMO.
>
> That would preclude most competitive lifters.

Thus sayeth the Father of Hobmanization :)

Randy

Keith Hobman
September 22nd 04, 09:34 PM
In article <mFk4d.74883$%[email protected]>, "Randy Shrader"
> wrote:

> "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message news:khobman->>
> >> Not powerlifting (recreationally or competitively or professionally).
> >
> > I beg to differ. If done rationally powerlifting is a very safe sport.
> > Much less chance of injury than, say, running. Check out the studies.
> > Competitive lifters are less likely to be injured than recreational
> > lifters, although in reality I suspect intelligent recreational lifters
> > are less likely. It's the testosterone filled show-offs in the gym that
> > cause most injuries, IMO.
> >
> > That would preclude most competitive lifters.
> >

> Thus sayeth the Father of Hobmanization :)

One injury related to lifting and it was from doing a dumb thing. I don't
think we can count falling on ice as a powerlifting related injury or
rotator cuff damage from fighting the doctors in the OR.

So yeah - I know it was a good-humoured comment, but powerlifting has been
very good to me. I had far more injuries while running and also from other
sports - rugby, baseball and hockey being the worst.