PDA

View Full Version : How do y'all cook your chicken?

BobMac
September 19th 04, 08:19 PM
hammisink wrote:
> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
> kinda old, though.
>
> Just wanna hear thoughts...
Buy thighs (by my guesstimate, the cheapest meat.)

Dust them with bread crumbs

350-400 oven for 1/2 hour or so.

I can't personally stand to eat this more than about five days a week.
My family has a lower tolerance, unfortunately.

BobMac

hammisink
September 20th 04, 04:32 AM
Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
kinda old, though.

Just wanna hear thoughts...

Jim
September 20th 04, 04:37 AM
"hammisink" > wrote in message
om...
> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
> kinda old, though.
>
> Just wanna hear thoughts...

I hate tuna..I buy boneless,skinless chicken and bake it.
1 hour 400 degree oven.period.
Then I eat it and wrap it.

Jim

Hugh Beyer
September 20th 04, 06:28 AM
"Jim" > wrote in news:WrWdnRy3P58MzdPcRVn-
:

> "hammisink" > wrote in message
> om...
>> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
>> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
>> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
>> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
>> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
>> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
>> kinda old, though.
>>
>> Just wanna hear thoughts...

To die for:

1.5 lb chicken (I use boneless skinless breast)
3/4 bag broccoli slaw (think a bag is a pound)
1.5 tbsp chili paste with garlic (oriental section of your grocery store)
3 tbsp peanut butter

Cut the chicken bite-sized, put in a pan and cook on medium-high until
barely cooked. Dump in the rest of the stuff and cook a few minutes (not too
much cuz you'll microwave it to eat later).

Makes three servings. Protien never tasted so good.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Aaron
September 20th 04, 09:40 AM
"hammisink" > wrote in message
om...
> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
> kinda old, though.
>
> Just wanna hear thoughts...

Good question, I've just tonight cooked tomorrow's lunch a different way.
For the last 12 months I've been grilling boneless, skinless breasts in the
oven. However yesterday on the net I read boiled chicken breasts have 40%
more protein than grilled/baked, whoa I said... so after work tonight boiled
me up two boneless breasts. They are kinda grey, taste no worse than what I
normally do in the oven. Possibily a fraction tough from being in the water
too long, but I'll get that right.

On the weekends or if my flatmates get pizza/fish and chips I get the
skillet out, 'Wok Creations' teriyaki sauce, stir fry vegies and wammo,
lovely chicken stir fry :)

Aaron.

Top Sirloin
September 20th 04, 11:42 AM
hammisink wrote:

> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
> kinda old, though.

Marinate and then use fire. Outside fire. Outside
fire good!

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

Justin Case
September 20th 04, 12:15 PM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:40:28 +1200, "Aaron" > wrote:

>"hammisink" > wrote in message
om...
>> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
>> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
>> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
>> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
>> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
>> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
>> kinda old, though.
>>
>> Just wanna hear thoughts...
>
>Good question, I've just tonight cooked tomorrow's lunch a different way.
>For the last 12 months I've been grilling boneless, skinless breasts in the
>oven. However yesterday on the net I read boiled chicken breasts have 40%
>more protein than grilled/baked, whoa I said... so after work tonight boiled
>me up two boneless breasts. They are kinda grey, taste no worse than what I
>normally do in the oven. Possibily a fraction tough from being in the water
>too long, but I'll get that right.

When you boil it, try adding a small onion, a bay leaf or two and celery
tops or celery flakes.
It adds some flavor to it.

Cut it up, mix it with some brown rice and pasta sauce.
I use newmans with the peppers & shrooms.

DRS
September 20th 04, 12:40 PM
"hammisink" > wrote in message
om
> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
> kinda old, though.
>
> Just wanna hear thoughts...

Stir fry.

--

"Self-delusion as a coping tool has always been a fairly useful strategy for
me."

David
September 20th 04, 01:25 PM
"DRS" > wrote in message
> "hammisink" > wrote in message
> om
> > Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
> > curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
> > specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
> > skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
> > have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
> > end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
> > kinda old, though.
> >
> > Just wanna hear thoughts...
>
> Stir fry.

crock pot -

Helgi Briem
September 20th 04, 02:01 PM

What a load of absolute ********.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Lee Michaels
September 20th 04, 02:13 PM
"Helgi Briem" wrote

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:40:28 +1200, "Aaron" >
> wrote:
> >However yesterday on the net I read boiled chicken
> >breasts have 40% more protein than grilled/baked,
>
> What a load of absolute ********.

I read that if you cook the meat while naked, that it increases the protein
by 15% and reduces the fat by 10%.

This, of course, from a vey reliable soure. I can't remember the source
though.

;-)

Helgi Briem
September 20th 04, 02:46 PM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:13:46 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:

>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:40:28 +1200, "Aaron" >
>> wrote:
>> >However yesterday on the net I read boiled chicken
>> >breasts have 40% more protein than grilled/baked,
>>
>> What a load of absolute ********.
>>
>I read that if you cook the meat while naked, that it increases the protein
>by 15% and reduces the fat by 10%.

You will lose moisture, a.k.a. water by frying, grilling or baking.
This will increase the protein %age indirectly of course. With most
cuts of meat, you would also lose fat, again increasing protein
percentage, but chicken breasts have no fat to speak of, so the effect
would be negligible.

>This, of course, from a vey reliable soure. I can't remember the source
>though.

Yeah, one of those. Like those reliable alien abduction type sources.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Richard Smith
September 20th 04, 06:55 PM
"hammisink" > wrote in message
om...
> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
> kinda old, though.
>
> Just wanna hear thoughts...

Fire

September 20th 04, 07:37 PM
On 19 Sep 2004 20:32:04 -0700, (hammisink) wrote:

>Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
>curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
>specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
>skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
>have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
>end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
>kinda old, though.
>
>Just wanna hear thoughts...

A bit of olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Saute in a spoon of minced
garlic (garlic, garlic, garlic. . . .garlic in everything). When
garlic begins to brown push to the side and put in trimmed chicken
breast. Simmer on medium heat until lightly browned on both sides.
Turn heat on low and add any kind of sauce you would like. A can of
stewed tomatoes or tomato sauce with basil and oregano for Italian,
a can of chicken broth to make chicken gravy to put over rice or
noodles. Peanut butter and Thai peanut sauce for peanut chicken.
Salsa for chicken fajitas. Add finely chopped onions with the garlic
and dice chicken (you can chop in up right in the pan while you cook
it) stir in veggies and rice for a stir fry like mix. Whatever your
sauce, simply simmer until the chicken is _barely_ cooked throught.
Don't overcook chicken breasts, they become quite leathery. Or if you
don't want to saute in a pan, and have a grill, my personal favorite
is a lemon, honey, and dijon mustard sauce to brush on it while it
grills. Again, be sure you don't overcook.

It takes about 5 minutes to saute a chicken breast in a small fry pan,
and you don't waste all the electricity required by a full sized oven.

Hal

Richard Bray
September 20th 04, 09:58 PM
Prepare the bird first by loosening up the leg and wing joints -
pretend the chicken knows where the bomb is but doesn't want to say.
Then take your chicken in one hand, poultry shears in the other.
Clear away the first joint of the wings and save that for stock.
Scissor the landing gear and wings away from the fuselage. Cut along
each side of the back and save that for stock, and then bisect the
rest. Dry the pieces with paper towel or whatever. Now, you have one
bowl or plate of milk or water or light cream, and another bowl of
flour. Maybe you season the flour with some pepper or other nice
things. Right about now, you put about a quarter of an inch of oil in
a frying pan and get it to the smoke point. Run the chicken pieces
through the liquid, let it drip off a little, and then put it in the
flour. Pat as much flour on as you can and handle it carefully so too
much doesn't fall off. Got the oil just giving off a bluish haze?
Insert floured chicken. Tricky part now, at least for me. You have
to let it cook longer than seems reasonable. You want the chicken
pieces to be a rich, dark brown before you take them out. Dark brown.
Then you're all right, my friend.

BobMac
September 21st 04, 12:23 AM
Robert Schuh wrote:

>>BobMac
>

> Have you thought that this guy may not want all that fat in his diet?
>

> --

Most of the fat runs off and collects in the low corner of the baking
dish. The rest is pretty much in the skin; you don't have to eat that.

Or, slice it thin, marinate it with lemon juice, soy sauce and basil,
and stir fry it. Or slice in not quite so thin, and broil it.

cut it up, dust it with a random spice or herb, and steam it...

This ain't rocket surgery....

Rankin Johnson IV
September 21st 04, 12:24 AM
"hammisink" > wrote in message
om...
> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
> kinda old, though.
>
> Just wanna hear thoughts...

Brine the chicken before you cook it. Let it sit in a mixture of 1 qt water,
1/2 cup salt, and 1/2 cup sugar, in the refrigerator, for an hour before
cooking. The chicken will absorb some of the moisture, making it more tender
and resistant to overcooking. It doesn't make the meat too salty unless it
sits in the brine for too long, but you can adjust the strength of the brine
for longer or shorter times. If you search for 'brine' or 'brining' and
'chicken' in Google, you'll find lots more.

Once I've brined it, I usually pan-fry or grill chicken breasts, roast
butterflied whole chickens, and use thighs in curries and the like. Chicken
breast, barbecuse sauce, and caramelized onion makes a fine, reasonably
nutritious sandwich.

/s/ Rankin Johnson IV

Tiger Hillside
September 21st 04, 12:49 AM
On 19 Sep 2004 20:32:04 -0700, (hammisink) wrote:

>Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
>curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
>specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
>skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
>have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
>end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
>kinda old, though.
>
>Just wanna hear thoughts...

Put 2-3 breast in an oven ready pot. Add 1 can black beans drained.
Add 1 can salsa. Back at 350 for about 1 hour. It works just fine if
the breasts are frozen.

Tiger Hillside
September 21st 04, 12:50 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:25:33 GMT, "David" >
wrote:

>"DRS" > wrote in message
>> "hammisink" > wrote in message
>> om
>> > Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
>> > curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
>> > specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
>> > skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
>> > have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
>> > end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
>> > kinda old, though.
>> >
>> > Just wanna hear thoughts...
>>
>> Stir fry.
>>
>crock pot -

Peg leg!

Oh, sorry, wrong joke.

Tiger Hillside
September 21st 04, 12:51 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:58:49 -0400, Richard Bray >
wrote:

>Prepare the bird first by loosening up the leg and wing joints -
>pretend the chicken knows where the bomb is but doesn't want to say.
>Then take your chicken in one hand, poultry shears in the other.
>Clear away the first joint of the wings and save that for stock.
>Scissor the landing gear and wings away from the fuselage. Cut along
>each side of the back and save that for stock, and then bisect the
>rest. Dry the pieces with paper towel or whatever. Now, you have one
>bowl or plate of milk or water or light cream, and another bowl of
>flour. Maybe you season the flour with some pepper or other nice
>things. Right about now, you put about a quarter of an inch of oil in
>a frying pan and get it to the smoke point. Run the chicken pieces
>through the liquid, let it drip off a little, and then put it in the
>flour. Pat as much flour on as you can and handle it carefully so too
>much doesn't fall off. Got the oil just giving off a bluish haze?
>Insert floured chicken. Tricky part now, at least for me. You have
>to let it cook longer than seems reasonable. You want the chicken
>pieces to be a rich, dark brown before you take them out. Dark brown.
>Then you're all right, my friend.

Other than suggesting you add some cornmeal to the flour there is no
way to improve on the above.

Robert Schuh
September 21st 04, 04:03 AM
BobMac wrote:

> hammisink wrote:
> > Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
> > curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
> > specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
> > skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
> > have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
> > end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
> > kinda old, though.
> >
> > Just wanna hear thoughts...
> Buy thighs (by my guesstimate, the cheapest meat.)
>
> Dust them with bread crumbs
>
> 350-400 oven for 1/2 hour or so.
>
> I can't personally stand to eat this more than about five days a week.
> My family has a lower tolerance, unfortunately.
>
> BobMac

Have you thought that this guy may not want all that fat in his diet?

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

Geezer From The Freezer
September 21st 04, 09:42 AM
hammisink wrote:

> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
> kinda old, though.
>
> Just wanna hear thoughts...

oven bake plain skinless chicken breasts and sometimes top
with cheese or tabasco to give it some kick!

Aaron
September 21st 04, 10:01 AM
> oven bake plain skinless chicken breasts and sometimes top
> with cheese or tabasco to give it some kick!

I find this way they seem to stay more moist than when boiled.

Although Ihave been known to forget they're on and find them 40 minutes too
late, black and no larger than a matchbox...

Lordy
September 21st 04, 11:13 AM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in
news:[email protected]_s54:

> I read that if you cook the meat while naked, that it increases the
> protein by 15%

looking at the breasts gets you excited...and .. well .. er ...

--
Lordy

Top Sirloin
September 21st 04, 02:30 PM
Top Sirloin wrote:

> hammisink wrote:
>
>> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
>> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
>> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
>> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
>> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
>> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
>> kinda old, though.
>

> Marinate and then use fire. Outside fire. Outside fire good!

And then take a Delections low-carb Italian Herb
wrap brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with
crushed garlic and grill it for 5-7 minutes. Now
drizzle some bbq sauce and apply red onion, your
favorite cheeses and the aforementioned chicken
in bits and grill for another 10 minutes or so. Yum.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

Bluesman
September 21st 04, 05:29 PM
(hammisink) wrote in message >...
> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
> kinda old, though.
>
> Just wanna hear thoughts...

For snacks, I cut in in cubes, fry in a little olice oil, salt,
pepper, lemon or garlic if you like, then into the fridge. Take it to
work in tin foil, eat it cold. If you cook a few pounds at a time on
Sunday nights, it will last the work week, and you get 1/2 pound of
extra protien during the day.

Bluesman

Larry Hodges
September 22nd 04, 02:07 AM
hammisink wrote:
> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
> kinda old, though.
>
> Just wanna hear thoughts...

I usually cook turkey, not chicken. I like it better, and I think it's
higher in protein...but I'm too lazy to look at the moment.

I cook a whole turkey once per week in a cast iron dutch oven. Here's the
one I have:

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?idProduct=3948

I put it right in my regular oven. I'll season it, put red peppers and
onions on top and some potatoes around it. Then I put it in the fridge and
eat off it all week. This morning I cubed up about 1 1/2 cups and fried it
with some red peppers, a potago, a fresh jalapeno pepper and two eggs.
Great breakfast!

IMPORTANT NOTE: Use a meat thermometer and take it out when it hits 170
degrees. Any longer and the meat dries out and isn't nearly as good.
Enjoy!
--
-Larry

BobMac
September 22nd 04, 02:29 AM
BobMac wrote:

> Robert Schuh wrote:
>

>>> BobMac
>>

>> Have you thought that this guy may not want all that fat in his diet?
>>

>> --
>

> Most of the fat runs off and collects in the low corner of the baking
> dish. The rest is pretty much in the skin; you don't have to eat that.
>
> Or, slice it thin, marinate it with lemon juice, soy sauce and basil,
> and stir fry it. Or slice in not quite so thin, and broil it.
>
> cut it up, dust it with a random spice or herb, and steam it...
>

> This ain't rocket surgery....
Stir fry it with a sauce made of orange marmalade and white vinegar.

rm

Concerned
September 24th 04, 09:46 PM
"hammisink" > wrote in message
om...
> Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
> curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
> specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
> skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
> have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
> end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
> kinda old, though.
>
> Just wanna hear thoughts...

I buy them whole and ready roasted from the local butchers. Usually priced
@ 2.99 each or sometimes they have a special offer of 2 for 5. I usually
get through one a day and if there is any left over, my wife makes it into
chicken noodle soup.

Axel of the North!
October 4th 04, 05:43 AM
On 19 Sep 2004 20:32:04 -0700, (hammisink) wrote:

>Since chicken and cooking it has become a big part of my life, I'm
>curious to see how others do this. I'm not necessarily talking about
>specific recipes or spices, but cooking methods. I put mine in a
>skillet and bread it to keep it tender. Since I'm waaayyy lazy and I
>have to keep things simple otherwise I'd never stick to it, I always
>end up buying expensive-ass boneless skinless filets. It's gettin'
>kinda old, though.
>
>Just wanna hear thoughts...

fire

Jim
October 4th 04, 05:46 AM
Put it in the oven.

Jim

Axel of the North!
October 7th 04, 05:29 AM
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 00:46:53 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:

>Put it in the oven.
>
>Jim

in an oven with fire.