PDA

View Full Version : Getting fatter with exercise?!?

Ed
September 20th 04, 06:09 AM
Sounds unusual but it is happening to me. After a few years of
putting on the fat I decided to drop some of it. I put myself on an
alternating cardio/abs and weights schedule. One day cardio/abs then
one day free-weights (mainly upper body) for six days and I rest on
the seventh before repeating.

I also reduced my calories and drink a low calorie protein shake (30
grams of protein) and a banana for breakfast after my weights. On my
cardio/abs days I have a glass of vegetable juice and an orange after
my workout. I have 2-3 pieces of fruit during the day for snacks and
a whole grain bread meat sandwich and green tea for lunch. Finally
for dinner I have meat, vegetables, half a serving of the carbos and
of course some more green tea. This is a big change from my 1 coke
and chips a day with creamy or greasy lunches and dinners.

However, yesterday at the end of my first week I did not drop any
pounds. In fact I put on more, 1.25 to be exact. I weighed myself
first thing in the morning birthday-suited on the two days before I
started and then the same the last day and the rest day of my first
week.

Anyone have any ideas why I am still getting fatter at 1.25 pounds for
the first week. Surely I should have lost weight with new diet and
cardio and weights. I am thinking about trying this for another week
with some fat metaboliser and carnitine supplements from Musashi.
Will this have any effect? Am I just destined to be porky forever?

-Ed

Hugh Beyer
September 20th 04, 06:32 AM
(Ed) wrote in
om:

> Sounds unusual but it is happening to me. After a few years of
> putting on the fat I decided to drop some of it. I put myself on an
> alternating cardio/abs and weights schedule. One day cardio/abs then
> one day free-weights (mainly upper body) for six days and I rest on
> the seventh before repeating.
>
> I also reduced my calories and drink a low calorie protein shake (30
> grams of protein) and a banana for breakfast after my weights. On my
> cardio/abs days I have a glass of vegetable juice and an orange after
> my workout. I have 2-3 pieces of fruit during the day for snacks and
> a whole grain bread meat sandwich and green tea for lunch. Finally
> for dinner I have meat, vegetables, half a serving of the carbos and
> of course some more green tea. This is a big change from my 1 coke
> and chips a day with creamy or greasy lunches and dinners.
>
> However, yesterday at the end of my first week I did not drop any
> pounds. In fact I put on more, 1.25 to be exact. I weighed myself
> first thing in the morning birthday-suited on the two days before I
> started and then the same the last day and the rest day of my first
> week.
>
> Anyone have any ideas why I am still getting fatter at 1.25 pounds for
> the first week. Surely I should have lost weight with new diet and
> cardio and weights. I am thinking about trying this for another week
> with some fat metaboliser and carnitine supplements from Musashi.
> Will this have any effect? Am I just destined to be porky forever?

You can't decide anything after a week. Don't run nuts with piling on more
supps. Let your body get used to this new way of eating for a few weeks.

THEN if you're still not losing, start taking things out. I'd drop the
carbs (e.g. one piece of fruit a day, no grains) first. If that doesn't
get things moving reduce quantities of what's left.

You've got the rest of your life to work this out. Doesn't all have to
happen in the first week.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Adam Lipschultz
September 20th 04, 09:43 AM
> Sounds unusual but it is happening to me.

Everyone likes to think they are unusual but they are not. I'm sure most
everyone in this newsgroup can relate to 'gigantic' diet/workout change
without seeing IMMEDIATE results....

> This is a big change from my 1 coke
> and chips a day with creamy or greasy lunches and dinners.

Big change, but have you completely wiped it out? That is, are you still
having cokes/chips/greasy foods every once in a while, but you've 'cut
down'? You only mentioned a few foods you eat to replace them, what are you
going to do when you get sick of bananana, fruit, and protein shake, and you
have nothing else to eat? You'll probably go back to your old diet routine.
Read some old posts about some good diets that you can go on, where you can
actually eat quite a bit of food, be full, feel like your eating 'a lot' and
yet at the same time, drop a great deal of fat. I personally like a high
protein medium carb diet, where the carbs consist mostly of whole
grain/brown rice/vege's (making sure you eat them all in the morning before
you work out.

> However, yesterday at the end of my first week I did not drop any
> pounds. In fact I put on more, 1.25 to be exact.

Drop pounds? This should be no problem, just pick up some weights and let
them drop on the ground, this should work.... Anyway, the reality is, you
actually may have lost some fat, but perhaps gained some muscle as well. If
you have been very unhealthy, and you have very high bodyfat and very low
muscle mass, then this 'hell weak' that you've put yourself through is
causing some major confusion in your body. Your body is probably saying,
where the hell is all my high sugar and fatty foods? And whats up with all
this need to build muscle? Your body WANTS to stay in the same shape,
otherwise, everyone would look like a model on the cover of Men's Fitness.
The key is to make your body change. This is not something that happens
overnight, in 1 week, or even in 1 month.

My suggestion, get some body fat calipers, and use this as a weigh to judge
your progress. Even though they lack accuracy (they may say your BF is like
5% when it is actually closer to 18%) they do allow you to compare and
contrast skin folds. Its really cool when you see in 3 weeks how a 'pinch
on your stohmach' from the calipers has been completely reduces. Weighing
yourself to judge results is hard. There are too many factors, water
weight, the time of day, muscle gain, fat loss, etc....

> Surely I should have lost weight with new diet and
> cardio and weights.

Are you over-confident as well? A lot of guys who just start working out to
begin losing weight start to think 'man i worked out a ton this week, i
deserve to have a large meal tonight!' The key is persistence and
maintenance. Not the initial satisfaction...

>I am thinking about trying this for another week
> with some fat metaboliser and carnitine supplements from Musashi.
> Will this have any effect?

Yes, you will lose water weight, and muscle mass, so you will likely lose
some weight for sure. The caffeine may also supress your appetite so you
won't eat as much either. But, your body WILL develop a tolerance to pills
like these, and eventually the results that you saw at first diminish. And
then, you are hooked on a supplement that you never needed in the first
place simply because you'll realize that when you stop taking it, you gain
weight! Why? Because you never taught your body how to eat less / workout
more w/out the need for supplements. I would try your workout for another 2
months, and then try using supplements if you don't like the results your
seeing. Most people *will never* see results in 2 weeks. The exception of
course, are athletes, weight lifters.... people who have strong muscle
memory. When the results go away, you can get them back relatively quickly
because of this great thing called 'muscle memory' ( although this is an
often debated topic about how true this is, most people will sware by....)

>Am I just destined to be porky forever?

If that is your attitude yes! You need to change your attitutde. Look at
your body, are you happy with it? Yes? Then accept that you are porky and
live with it. If you are not, realize that, 'hey, i've put on a few pounds
and I don't like the way I look' and realize that this is something you can
change, but it requires a lot of effort, especially at first. I know its
not fun when you work out really really hard, and then you wake up the next
day and see no results. Just remember that you see yourself everyday, the
results will come slow, but when they do, it will make all the work and
effort you put in even more worthwhile.

But your question 'am i destined to be porky forever' makes it sound like
its someones fault (your parents, McDonalds, God, the x-girlfriend...) that
you've gotten fat. Admit you made some lifestyle mistakes, and try to
realize what they are, and why it is important to fix them. You've gotten
yourself into this position, only you can get yourself out of it. No one
can answer this question, only you.

Good luck,
Adam.

Jeff Finlayson
September 20th 04, 01:59 PM
Ed wrote:

> Sounds unusual but it is happening to me. After a few years of
> putting on the fat I decided to drop some of it. I put myself on an
> alternating cardio/abs and weights schedule. One day cardio/abs then
> one day free-weights (mainly upper body) for six days and I rest on
> the seventh before repeating.
>
> I also reduced my calories and drink a low calorie protein shake (30
> grams of protein) and a banana for breakfast after my weights. On my
> cardio/abs days I have a glass of vegetable juice and an orange after
> my workout. I have 2-3 pieces of fruit during the day for snacks and
> a whole grain bread meat sandwich and green tea for lunch. Finally
> for dinner I have meat, vegetables, half a serving of the carbos and
> of course some more green tea. This is a big change from my 1 coke
> and chips a day with creamy or greasy lunches and dinners.

Are you 100% sure you have actually reduced your caloric intake?
Log everything you eat & drink and count the calories to check.

> However, yesterday at the end of my first week I did not drop any
> pounds. In fact I put on more, 1.25 to be exact. I weighed myself
> first thing in the morning birthday-suited on the two days before I
> started and then the same the last day and the rest day of my first
> week.

Gee, 1.25 lb could just be a matter of more food and fluid in your
system. Chill out and give it a few weeks.

Donovan Rebbechi
September 20th 04, 02:24 PM
On 2004-09-20, Ed > wrote:

> However, yesterday at the end of my first week I did not drop any
> pounds. In fact I put on more, 1.25 to be exact.

Go to the bathroom.

Seriously, a change of 1.25lb is uninterpretable. You need a month or so to
see anything concrete.

HTH,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Xtra News
September 20th 04, 08:29 PM
Hi Hugh

This sounds like a good idea. However I am not currently taking any
supplements so I thought adding some would be a good idea since it seems the
norm for good results on most fitness websites I've been to.

-Ed

"Hugh Beyer" > wrote in message
. ..
> (Ed) wrote in
> om:
>
> > Sounds unusual but it is happening to me. After a few years of
> > putting on the fat I decided to drop some of it. I put myself on an
> > alternating cardio/abs and weights schedule. One day cardio/abs then
> > one day free-weights (mainly upper body) for six days and I rest on
> > the seventh before repeating.
> >
> > I also reduced my calories and drink a low calorie protein shake (30
> > grams of protein) and a banana for breakfast after my weights. On my
> > cardio/abs days I have a glass of vegetable juice and an orange after
> > my workout. I have 2-3 pieces of fruit during the day for snacks and
> > a whole grain bread meat sandwich and green tea for lunch. Finally
> > for dinner I have meat, vegetables, half a serving of the carbos and
> > of course some more green tea. This is a big change from my 1 coke
> > and chips a day with creamy or greasy lunches and dinners.
> >
> > However, yesterday at the end of my first week I did not drop any
> > pounds. In fact I put on more, 1.25 to be exact. I weighed myself
> > first thing in the morning birthday-suited on the two days before I
> > started and then the same the last day and the rest day of my first
> > week.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas why I am still getting fatter at 1.25 pounds for
> > the first week. Surely I should have lost weight with new diet and
> > cardio and weights. I am thinking about trying this for another week
> > with some fat metaboliser and carnitine supplements from Musashi.
> > Will this have any effect? Am I just destined to be porky forever?
>
> You can't decide anything after a week. Don't run nuts with piling on more
> supps. Let your body get used to this new way of eating for a few weeks.
>
> THEN if you're still not losing, start taking things out. I'd drop the
> carbs (e.g. one piece of fruit a day, no grains) first. If that doesn't
> get things moving reduce quantities of what's left.
>
> You've got the rest of your life to work this out. Doesn't all have to
> happen in the first week.
>
> Hugh
>

> --
> One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
> reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Xtra News
September 20th 04, 08:55 PM
Hi Adam

>That is, are you still having cokes/chips/greasy foods every once in a
>while, but you've 'cut down'?

I have completely cut off the creamy and greasy foods. Along with the not
so health snack foods. I have make a complete commitment to the new diet.

> Are you over-confident as well?

I would not say I am over confident just new to the whole fitness regime and
unsure on how to gauge my progress. The fat callipers sound like a good
idea since this will give me some measure of my fat loss.

> >I am thinking about trying this for another week
> > with some fat metaboliser and carnitine supplements from Musashi.
> > Will this have any effect?
> Yes, you will lose water weight, and muscle mass, so you will likely lose
> some weight for sure. The caffeine may also supress your appetite so you
> won't eat as much either. But, your body WILL develop a tolerance to
pills
> like these, and eventually the results that you saw at first diminish

The supplement I am thinking about taking does not have any caffeine only
Levocarnitine (300mg), Choline bitartrate (230mg), Inositol (230mg) and
L-Methionine (230mg). It says to take it once before bed and immediately
upon waking. There are others with higher doses but I wanted to start with
small doses and later if I wanted I would get a higher dose product. I
don't believe any of these ingredients are addictive. It's supposed to help
get my fat stores get transported to my muscles so they can be burned off by
encouraging my muscles to request fat while I sleep and when I do my morning
workout.

> But your question 'am i destined to be porky forever' makes it sound like
> its someones fault (your parents, McDonalds, God, the x-girlfriend...)
that
> you've gotten fat.

I started off my post by saying, "After a few years of putting on the fat I
decided to drop some of it.", so clearly I am aware that I am responsible
for my weight gain and additionally responsible for my weight loss. My
statement, "Am I destined to be porky forever?", merely illustrates my then
current frustration in not being able to gauge my results while unknowingly
using overall weight as a measure with severe disappointment. Again, the
calliper idea sounds promising and I will look into obtaining one.

-Ed

Ed
September 20th 04, 08:58 PM
The above post is from me. The computer had reset the name for some unknow
reason.

--Ed

"Xtra News" > wrote in message
> Hi Adam
>
> >That is, are you still having cokes/chips/greasy foods every once in a
> >while, but you've 'cut down'?
>
> I have completely cut off the creamy and greasy foods. Along with the not
> so health snack foods. I have make a complete commitment to the new diet.
>
> > Are you over-confident as well?
>
> I would not say I am over confident just new to the whole fitness regime
and
> unsure on how to gauge my progress. The fat callipers sound like a good
> idea since this will give me some measure of my fat loss.
>
> > >I am thinking about trying this for another week
> > > with some fat metaboliser and carnitine supplements from Musashi.
> > > Will this have any effect?
> > Yes, you will lose water weight, and muscle mass, so you will likely
lose
> > some weight for sure. The caffeine may also supress your appetite so
you
> > won't eat as much either. But, your body WILL develop a tolerance to
> pills
> > like these, and eventually the results that you saw at first diminish
>
> The supplement I am thinking about taking does not have any caffeine only
> Levocarnitine (300mg), Choline bitartrate (230mg), Inositol (230mg) and
> L-Methionine (230mg). It says to take it once before bed and immediately
> upon waking. There are others with higher doses but I wanted to start
with
> small doses and later if I wanted I would get a higher dose product. I
> don't believe any of these ingredients are addictive. It's supposed to
help
> get my fat stores get transported to my muscles so they can be burned off
by
> encouraging my muscles to request fat while I sleep and when I do my
morning
> workout.
>
> > But your question 'am i destined to be porky forever' makes it sound
like
> > its someones fault (your parents, McDonalds, God, the x-girlfriend...)
> that
> > you've gotten fat.
>
> I started off my post by saying, "After a few years of putting on the fat
> decided to drop some of it.", so clearly I am aware that I am responsible
> for my weight gain and additionally responsible for my weight loss. My
> statement, "Am I destined to be porky forever?", merely illustrates my
then
> current frustration in not being able to gauge my results while
unknowingly
> using overall weight as a measure with severe disappointment. Again, the
> calliper idea sounds promising and I will look into obtaining one.
>
> -Ed

ray miller
September 20th 04, 09:04 PM
>Anyone have any ideas why I am still getting fatter at 1.25 pounds for
>the first week. Surely I should have lost weight with new diet and
>cardio and weights. I am thinking about trying this for another week
>with some fat metaboliser and carnitine supplements from Musashi.
>Will this have any effect? Am I just destined to be porky forever?

This is the first week of some big changes to your diet and exercise.
I'd be amazed if your weight stayed the same. Your water balance will
have shifted one way or the other and that will mask any real weight
loss/gain.

Go to
http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
to find your BMR, and eat about 500 calories/day below that. Use
www.fitday.com to track what you eat accurately. Then over the next
few weeks adjust your calories so you lose about 1lb a week.

Carry on with the exercise too and let us know in a couple or three
weeks how you are doing. Forget the supplements for now.

Ray
--
rmnsuk
273/187/182

Ed
September 20th 04, 09:18 PM
Ray

That FitDay program is impressive. I'm going to get it at the end of the
month.

Thanks Heaps

-Ed

"ray miller" > wrote in message
> >Anyone have any ideas why I am still getting fatter at 1.25 pounds for
> >the first week. Surely I should have lost weight with new diet and
> >cardio and weights. I am thinking about trying this for another week
> >with some fat metaboliser and carnitine supplements from Musashi.
> >Will this have any effect? Am I just destined to be porky forever?
>
> This is the first week of some big changes to your diet and exercise.
> I'd be amazed if your weight stayed the same. Your water balance will
> have shifted one way or the other and that will mask any real weight
> loss/gain.
>
> Go to
> http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
> to find your BMR, and eat about 500 calories/day below that. Use
> www.fitday.com to track what you eat accurately. Then over the next
> few weeks adjust your calories so you lose about 1lb a week.
>
> Carry on with the exercise too and let us know in a couple or three
> weeks how you are doing. Forget the supplements for now.
>
> Ray
> --
> rmnsuk
> 273/187/182

Robert Schuh
September 21st 04, 04:04 AM
Ed wrote:

> Sounds unusual but it is happening to me. After a few years of
> putting on the fat I decided to drop some of it. I put myself on an
> alternating cardio/abs and weights schedule. One day cardio/abs then
> one day free-weights (mainly upper body) for six days and I rest on
> the seventh before repeating.
>
> I also reduced my calories and drink a low calorie protein shake (30
> grams of protein) and a banana for breakfast after my weights. On my
> cardio/abs days I have a glass of vegetable juice and an orange after
> my workout. I have 2-3 pieces of fruit during the day for snacks and
> a whole grain bread meat sandwich and green tea for lunch. Finally
> for dinner I have meat, vegetables, half a serving of the carbos and
> of course some more green tea. This is a big change from my 1 coke
> and chips a day with creamy or greasy lunches and dinners.
>
> However, yesterday at the end of my first week I did not drop any
> pounds. In fact I put on more, 1.25 to be exact. I weighed myself
> first thing in the morning birthday-suited on the two days before I
> started and then the same the last day and the rest day of my first
> week.
>
> Anyone have any ideas why I am still getting fatter at 1.25 pounds for
> the first week. Surely I should have lost weight with new diet and
> cardio and weights. I am thinking about trying this for another week
> with some fat metaboliser and carnitine supplements from Musashi.
> Will this have any effect? Am I just destined to be porky forever?
>
> -Ed

Do you eat any protein?

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

Hugh Beyer
September 21st 04, 05:57 AM
"Xtra News" > wrote in
:

> This sounds like a good idea. However I am not currently taking any
> supplements so I thought adding some would be a good idea since it seems
> the norm for good results on most fitness websites I've been to.

I think supplements are stupid for you at this point. You're not trying to
get ripped for a BB stage, you're trying to look like a normal human being
(just at a thinner end of that range). I would wait to see how far your body
wants to go in that direction on its own.

Most fitness websites are (a) full of garbage and (b) selling something. You
don't need it.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

gman99
September 21st 04, 05:20 PM
> Anyone have any ideas why I am still getting fatter at 1.25 pounds for
> the first week. Surely I should have lost weight with new diet and
> cardio and weights. I am thinking about trying this for another week
> with some fat metaboliser and carnitine supplements from Musashi.
> Will this have any effect? Am I just destined to be porky forever?

Don't equate heavier with fatter...you're better off taking measurements
and body fat measurements than relying on the scale.

David Cohen
September 22nd 04, 12:22 AM
"Donovan Rebbechi" > wrote
> On 2004-09-20, Ed > wrote:
>
> > However, yesterday at the end of my first week I did not drop any
> > pounds. In fact I put on more, 1.25 to be exact.
>
> Go to the bathroom.
>
> Seriously, a change of 1.25lb is uninterpretable. You need a month or so
> see anything concrete.

Sometimes, at work, where we have extremely accurate scales, if I feel a
really big dump coming on, I will weigh myself before going into the
bathroom, then immediately after, and then loudly announce my "weight loss".

Only some people appreciate my sense of humor.

David

Lee Michaels
September 22nd 04, 02:00 AM
"David Cohen" wrote

> Sometimes, at work, where we have extremely accurate scales, if I feel a
> really big dump coming on, I will weigh myself before going into the
> bathroom, then immediately after, and then loudly announce my "weight
loss".

Maybe we should start a pool to guess how much a Cavid Cohen Dump weighs. I
would imagine it would be in the three to four pound range.

Proton Soup
September 22nd 04, 02:59 AM
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:00:49 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:

>"David Cohen" wrote
>>
>> Sometimes, at work, where we have extremely accurate scales, if I feel a
>> really big dump coming on, I will weigh myself before going into the
>> bathroom, then immediately after, and then loudly announce my "weight
>loss".
>>
>Maybe we should start a pool to guess how much a Cavid Cohen Dump weighs. I
>would imagine it would be in the three to four pound range.

2.5 lb

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Dally
September 22nd 04, 02:55 PM
Lee Michaels wrote:

> "David Cohen" wrote
>
>>Sometimes, at work, where we have extremely accurate scales, if I feel a
>>really big dump coming on, I will weigh myself before going into the
>>bathroom, then immediately after, and then loudly announce my "weight
>
> loss".
>
> Maybe we should start a pool to guess how much a Cavid Cohen Dump weighs. I
> would imagine it would be in the three to four pound range.

I'm going to guess low: 12 ounces. I've never thought Cohen was full of
****.

However, he's pretty ****y. If he pees while he's in there I think he'd
drop another 2 pounds.

Dally