PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me how much and how often I should lift??

Cormac
September 20th 04, 04:31 PM
Hi.

I'm 19 and interesting in gaining some muscle and fitness at the same time.
I'm using weights(free weights/dumb bells). I've got a strong upper body
already(naturally), chest wise, but my arms/shoulders are a bit small in
comparisson to my chest and legs. Basically, I've notcied nothing yet in the
months that I've been lifting. I need someone to tell me what weight to lift
and for how long each session, and how many times a week, etc. I'm
interested in broadening my shoulders and strengthening my arms. Any
suggestions greatly appreciated.

PS. I've always been naturally strong...stronger than most of my peers, even
tho I'm short.(5foot 8"). I put that down to my big chest and big upper
legs...Does this mean I'll put on muscle easily? Or the opposite?

Thanks,
Cormac.

Donovan Rebbechi
September 20th 04, 05:57 PM
On 2004-09-20, Cormac > wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm 19 and interesting in gaining some muscle and fitness at the same time.
> I'm using weights(free weights/dumb bells). I've got a strong upper body
> already(naturally), chest wise, but my arms/shoulders are a bit small in
> comparisson to my chest and legs. Basically, I've notcied nothing yet in the
> months that I've been lifting. I need someone to tell me what weight to lift
> and for how long each session, and how many times a week, etc. I'm
> interested in broadening my shoulders and strengthening my arms. Any
> suggestions greatly appreciated.

IMO -- just do a standard full-body program like anyone else. The perception
of shoulder width doesn't just involve the shoulder muscles, it also involves
the back. Working your back and shoulders utilises your biceps and triceps.

The danger of neglecting major muscle groups (as many beginners do) is that
after a fairly short amount of training, you pack on a lot of mass and all of
a sudden, you have major weak points.

Take a look at http://www.stumptuous.com for some good training programs.

> PS. I've always been naturally strong...stronger than most of my peers, even
> tho I'm short.(5foot 8"). I put that down to my big chest and big upper
> legs...Does this mean I'll put on muscle easily? Or the opposite?

Hard to tell at this stage. I'm guessing that you're male, so that means you
could probably gain quite a lot.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

No Frills
September 21st 04, 09:26 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:31:53 +0100, "Cormac" >
wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I'm 19 and interesting in gaining some muscle and fitness at the same time.
>I'm using weights(free weights/dumb bells). I've got a strong upper body
>already(naturally), chest wise, but my arms/shoulders are a bit small in
>comparisson to my chest and legs. Basically, I've notcied nothing yet in the
>months that I've been lifting. I need someone to tell me what weight to lift
>and for how long each session, and how many times a week, etc. I'm
>interested in broadening my shoulders and strengthening my arms. Any
>suggestions greatly appreciated.
>

>PS. I've always been naturally strong...stronger than most of my peers, even
>tho I'm short.(5foot 8"). I put that down to my big chest and big upper
>legs...Does this mean I'll put on muscle easily? Or the opposite?
>
>Thanks,
>Cormac.

Try searching for 'weight training' etc in google.

---
No-no-no in the squat rack!!

Jay
September 21st 04, 01:40 PM
"Cormac" > wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I'm 19 and interesting in gaining some muscle and fitness at the same
time.
> I'm using weights(free weights/dumb bells). I've got a strong upper body
> already(naturally), chest wise, but my arms/shoulders are a bit small in
> comparisson to my chest and legs. Basically, I've notcied nothing yet in
the
> months that I've been lifting. I need someone to tell me what weight to
lift
> and for how long each session, and how many times a week, etc. I'm
> interested in broadening my shoulders and strengthening my arms. Any
> suggestions greatly appreciated.
>

> PS. I've always been naturally strong...stronger than most of my peers,
even
> tho I'm short.(5foot 8"). I put that down to my big chest and big upper
> legs...Does this mean I'll put on muscle easily? Or the opposite?
>
> Thanks,
> Cormac.

lift some today, wait a day, lift more than that the next time you train,
repeat.