PDA

View Full Version : Cap'n Kirk

Hoff
September 20th 04, 05:45 PM
Martin Drake posted this last week, but apparently Kirk Karowski will be lifting
raw as a guest lifter in Laughlin:

http://goheavy.com/forums/debate/index.cgi/read/8734

Hoff
--
Peanuts!! Get yer Peanuts!!
http://irongarm.org/Files_html_global/peanutgallery2.htm

Lyle McDonald
September 20th 04, 07:14 PM
Hoff wrote:
> Martin Drake posted this last week, but apparently Kirk Karowski will be lifting
> raw as a guest lifter in Laughlin:
>
> http://goheavy.com/forums/debate/index.cgi/read/8734

this reminds me of a skateboarding video I have, that has Tony Hawk and
an aussie pro named Jason Ellis in it.

Ellis comments that once Tony Hawk starts skating vert that he (Ellis)
officially sucks.

With Kirk lifting at AAU's, everyone else officially sucks.

Lyle

Keith Hobman
September 20th 04, 08:45 PM
In article >, Lyle McDonald
> wrote:

> Hoff wrote:
> > Martin Drake posted this last week, but apparently Kirk Karowski will
be lifting
> > raw as a guest lifter in Laughlin:
> >
> > http://goheavy.com/forums/debate/index.cgi/read/8734
>
> this reminds me of a skateboarding video I have, that has Tony Hawk and
> an aussie pro named Jason Ellis in it.
>
> Ellis comments that once Tony Hawk starts skating vert that he (Ellis)
> officially sucks.
>
> With Kirk lifting at AAU's, everyone else officially sucks.

Their squats, anyhow.

be interesting. You'll like him - he does a fairly hi-bar olympic style
squat and is tremendously explosive.

--
My advice and opinions reflect my personality and goals.
I have no desire to cover my ass and all the bases with

Hoff
September 20th 04, 08:52 PM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article >, Lyle McDonald
> > wrote:
>
> > Hoff wrote:
> > > Martin Drake posted this last week, but apparently Kirk Karowski will
> be lifting
> > > raw as a guest lifter in Laughlin:
> > >
> > > http://goheavy.com/forums/debate/index.cgi/read/8734
> >
> > this reminds me of a skateboarding video I have, that has Tony Hawk and
> > an aussie pro named Jason Ellis in it.
> >
> > Ellis comments that once Tony Hawk starts skating vert that he (Ellis)
> > officially sucks.
> >
> > With Kirk lifting at AAU's, everyone else officially sucks.
>
> Their squats, anyhow.
>
> be interesting. You'll like him - he does a fairly hi-bar olympic style
> squat and is tremendously explosive.

Yeah, this looks relatively narrow:

http://www.titansupport.com/people/hall/kirk.jpg

(apologies for misspelling his name)

Hoff
--
Peanuts!! Get yer Peanuts!!
http://irongarm.org/Files_html_global/peanutgallery2.htm

MJL
September 21st 04, 05:15 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:52:09 -0400, "Hoff" >
wrote:

>"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
>> In article >, Lyle McDonald
>> > wrote:

>> be lifting

>> > this reminds me of a skateboarding video I have, that has Tony Hawk and
>> > an aussie pro named Jason Ellis in it.
>> >
>> > Ellis comments that once Tony Hawk starts skating vert that he (Ellis)
>> > officially sucks.
>> >
>> > With Kirk lifting at AAU's, everyone else officially sucks.
>>
>> Their squats, anyhow.
>>
>> be interesting. You'll like him - he does a fairly hi-bar olympic style
>> squat and is tremendously explosive.
>>

>Yeah, this looks relatively narrow:
>
>http://www.titansupport.com/people/hall/kirk.jpg

The suit is lifting at least 300lbs of that.

--
http://www.texansfortruth.org/

John Hanson
September 21st 04, 05:47 AM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 04:15:14 GMT, MJL > wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:52:09 -0400, "Hoff" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
>>> In article >, Lyle McDonald

>>> be lifting

>>> Their squats, anyhow.
>>>
>>> be interesting. You'll like him - he does a fairly hi-bar olympic style
>>> squat and is tremendously explosive.
>>>

>>Yeah, this looks relatively narrow:
>>
>>http://www.titansupport.com/people/hall/kirk.jpg
>>

>The suit is lifting at least 300lbs of that.

I disagree. I'd say 200 between the suit and the wraps.

Keith Hobman
September 21st 04, 02:58 PM
In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 04:15:14 GMT, MJL > wrote in
> misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:52:09 -0400, "Hoff" >
> >wrote:

> >>Yeah, this looks relatively narrow:
> >>
> >>http://www.titansupport.com/people/hall/kirk.jpg
> >>

> >The suit is lifting at least 300lbs of that.
>
> I disagree. I'd say 200 between the suit and the wraps.

Also my take. Still, 25% is a lot. But we'll see. Do you think he is going
to be doing an 800 lb raw squat in Laughlin?

Wouldn't doubt it, myself.

--
My advice and opinions reflect my personality and goals.
I have no desire to cover my ass and all the bases with
disclaimers about who this is good for and who it is not
good for. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.

John Hanson
September 21st 04, 03:08 PM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:58:32 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 04:15:14 GMT, MJL > wrote in
>> misc.fitness.weights:

>> >The suit is lifting at least 300lbs of that.
>>
>> I disagree. I'd say 200 between the suit and the wraps.
>
>Also my take. Still, 25% is a lot. But we'll see. Do you think he is going
>to be doing an 800 lb raw squat in Laughlin?
>
>Wouldn't doubt it, myself.

Is he going to be drug tested?

Keith Hobman
September 21st 04, 03:24 PM
In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:58:32 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >In article >, John Hanson
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 04:15:14 GMT, MJL > wrote in
> >> misc.fitness.weights:

Karowski will

Hawk and

> >> I disagree. I'd say 200 between the suit and the wraps.
> >
> >Also my take. Still, 25% is a lot. But we'll see. Do you think he is going
> >to be doing an 800 lb raw squat in Laughlin?
> >
> >Wouldn't doubt it, myself.
>
> Is he going to be drug tested?

I doubt very much a guest lifter would be tested, John.

FWIW, I imagine he was tested after his IPF World record of 455 (1,003
lbs) in 1995. And Karwoski, like Coan, hits good depth even on his heavy
attempts.

Although Coan had some depth difficulties recently, I think as a raw lifter.

--
My advice and opinions reflect my personality and goals.
I have no desire to cover my ass and all the bases with
disclaimers about who this is good for and who it is not
good for. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.

John Hanson
September 21st 04, 03:39 PM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:24:51 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:58:32 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>Karowski will

>Hawk and

>(Ellis)

>> >Also my take. Still, 25% is a lot. But we'll see. Do you think he is going
>> >to be doing an 800 lb raw squat in Laughlin?
>> >
>> >Wouldn't doubt it, myself.
>>
>> Is he going to be drug tested?
>
>I doubt very much a guest lifter would be tested, John.

It happens in the USAPL.

>FWIW, I imagine he was tested after his IPF World record of 455 (1,003
>lbs) in 1995. And Karwoski, like Coan, hits good depth even on his heavy
>attempts.

He's an admitted steroid user. Plus, the USPF was stripped of it's
affiliation with the IPF for it's refusal to drug test adequately.

>Although Coan had some depth difficulties recently, I think as a raw lifter.

Keith Hobman
September 21st 04, 03:43 PM
In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:24:51 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >In article >, John Hanson
> > wrote:

> >Karowski will

> >Hawk and

> >(Ellis)

> >> Is he going to be drug tested?
> >
> >I doubt very much a guest lifter would be tested, John.
>
> It happens in the USAPL.
>

> >FWIW, I imagine he was tested after his IPF World record of 455 (1,003
> >lbs) in 1995. And Karwoski, like Coan, hits good depth even on his heavy
> >attempts.
>
> He's an admitted steroid user. Plus, the USPF was stripped of it's
> affiliation with the IPF for it's refusal to drug test adequately.

There was more to it than that. The USPF president was also caught
importing large amounts of steroids into the US.

I wasn't aware that Karwoski admitted using. Still, as a guest lifter I
wouldn't test him. OTOH, if you are an organization that is committed to
drug-free lifting why would you bring in someone who has admitted using?

Weird.

--
My advice and opinions reflect my personality and goals.
I have no desire to cover my ass and all the bases with
disclaimers about who this is good for and who it is not
good for. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.

John Hanson
September 21st 04, 03:53 PM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:43:42 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:24:51 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> >Karowski will

>> >Hawk and

>> >(Ellis)

>olympic style

>> >I doubt very much a guest lifter would be tested, John.
>>
>> It happens in the USAPL.
>>

>> >FWIW, I imagine he was tested after his IPF World record of 455 (1,003
>> >lbs) in 1995. And Karwoski, like Coan, hits good depth even on his heavy
>> >attempts.
>>
>> He's an admitted steroid user. Plus, the USPF was stripped of it's
>> affiliation with the IPF for it's refusal to drug test adequately.
>
>There was more to it than that. The USPF president was also caught
>importing large amounts of steroids into the US.
>
>I wasn't aware that Karwoski admitted using. Still, as a guest lifter I
>wouldn't test him. OTOH, if you are an organization that is committed to
>drug-free lifting why would you bring in someone who has admitted using?
>
>Weird.

This is hearsay but I heard he did a cycle for a meet that he was
going to only be helping in because he wanted to look big for the
meet. It may or may not be true but it is something I heard and from
a pretty credible source.

Will
September 21st 04, 04:07 PM
In article >,
John Hanson > wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:43:42 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >In article >, John Hanson
> > wrote:

> >olympic style

> >> It happens in the USAPL.

> >> He's an admitted steroid user. Plus, the USPF was stripped of it's
> >> affiliation with the IPF for it's refusal to drug test adequately.
> >
> >There was more to it than that. The USPF president was also caught
> >importing large amounts of steroids into the US.
> >
> >I wasn't aware that Karwoski admitted using. Still, as a guest lifter I
> >wouldn't test him. OTOH, if you are an organization that is committed to
> >drug-free lifting why would you bring in someone who has admitted using?
> >
> >Weird.
>
> This is hearsay but I heard he did a cycle for a meet that he was
> going to only be helping in because he wanted to look big for the
> meet. It may or may not be true but it is something I heard and from
> a pretty credible source.

I'd be careful throwing around allegations like that. IF it's true that
Cap'n Kirk is an admitted steroid user, it makes Martin Drake look like
a complete joke and fraud for inviting him to the meet. IF it's true.
I have no reason to believe it is true, but I was thinking something was
mighty fishy when Martin was dropping hints that had me thinking Ed Coan
might be the mystery guest lifter.

You don't want to get caught in another situation like when you accused
Jason of altering your posts on Deepsquatter.com.

John Hanson
September 21st 04, 04:15 PM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:07:35 -0700, Will >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >,
> John Hanson > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:43:42 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> >olympic style

>> >There was more to it than that. The USPF president was also caught
>> >importing large amounts of steroids into the US.
>> >
>> >I wasn't aware that Karwoski admitted using. Still, as a guest lifter I
>> >wouldn't test him. OTOH, if you are an organization that is committed to
>> >drug-free lifting why would you bring in someone who has admitted using?
>> >
>> >Weird.
>>
>> This is hearsay but I heard he did a cycle for a meet that he was
>> going to only be helping in because he wanted to look big for the
>> meet. It may or may not be true but it is something I heard and from
>> a pretty credible source.
>
>I'd be careful throwing around allegations like that. IF it's true that
>Cap'n Kirk is an admitted steroid user, it makes Martin Drake look like
>a complete joke and fraud for inviting him to the meet. IF it's true.
>I have no reason to believe it is true, but I was thinking something was
>mighty fishy when Martin was dropping hints that had me thinking Ed Coan
>might be the mystery guest lifter.

The admitting to steroid use isn't a controversy.

>You don't want to get caught in another situation like when you accused
>Jason of altering your posts on Deepsquatter.com.

His domain and someone who he gave that sort of power to.

Will
September 21st 04, 04:56 PM
In article >,
John Hanson > wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:07:35 -0700, Will >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >In article >,
> > John Hanson > wrote:

> >> This is hearsay but I heard he did a cycle for a meet that he was
> >> going to only be helping in because he wanted to look big for the
> >> meet. It may or may not be true but it is something I heard and from
> >> a pretty credible source.
> >
> >I'd be careful throwing around allegations like that. IF it's true that
> >Cap'n Kirk is an admitted steroid user, it makes Martin Drake look like
> >a complete joke and fraud for inviting him to the meet. IF it's true.
> >I have no reason to believe it is true, but I was thinking something was
> >mighty fishy when Martin was dropping hints that had me thinking Ed Coan
> >might be the mystery guest lifter.
>
> The admitting to steroid use isn't a controversy.

Source? How come Keith and I have never heard of it?

Hoff
September 21st 04, 06:38 PM
"Will" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> John Hanson > wrote:
>
> > The admitting to steroid use isn't a controversy.
>
> Source? How come Keith and I have never heard of it?

I'd be interested in hearing this, too.

I know nothing about it. But naming someone as an "admitted steroid user" is a
pretty strong accusation.

Hoff
--
Peanuts!! Get yer Peanuts!!
http://irongarm.org/Files_html_global/peanutgallery2.htm

John Hanson
September 21st 04, 10:40 PM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:56:34 -0700, Will >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >,
> John Hanson > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:07:35 -0700, Will >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> >I'd be careful throwing around allegations like that. IF it's true that
>> >Cap'n Kirk is an admitted steroid user, it makes Martin Drake look like
>> >a complete joke and fraud for inviting him to the meet. IF it's true.
>> >I have no reason to believe it is true, but I was thinking something was
>> >mighty fishy when Martin was dropping hints that had me thinking Ed Coan
>> >might be the mystery guest lifter.
>>
>> The admitting to steroid use isn't a controversy.
>
>Source? How come Keith and I have never heard of it?

I don't know why. It seemed to me to be pretty common knowledge.

Will
September 21st 04, 11:13 PM
In article >,
John Hanson > wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:56:34 -0700, Will >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >In article >,
> > John Hanson > wrote:

> >> The admitting to steroid use isn't a controversy.
> >
> >Source? How come Keith and I have never heard of it?
>
> I don't know why. It seemed to me to be pretty common knowledge.

I can't seem to google it either. Are you sure you're not thinking of
Ed Coan?

Will
September 21st 04, 11:28 PM
In article >,
John Hanson > wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:13:20 -0700, Will >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >In article >,
> > John Hanson > wrote:

> >> I don't know why. It seemed to me to be pretty common knowledge.
> >
> >I can't seem to google it either. Are you sure you're not thinking of
> >Ed Coan?
>
> No. I don't believe he put it in writing anywhere. I've been told it
> is common knowledge that he freely admitted to doing them.

Yeah, but I can't even google anyone else saying it was common knowledge
he used them.

John Hanson
September 21st 04, 11:28 PM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:13:20 -0700, Will >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >,
> John Hanson > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:56:34 -0700, Will >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> >Source? How come Keith and I have never heard of it?
>>
>> I don't know why. It seemed to me to be pretty common knowledge.
>
>I can't seem to google it either. Are you sure you're not thinking of
>Ed Coan?

No. I don't believe he put it in writing anywhere. I've been told it
is common knowledge that he freely admitted to doing them.

John Hanson
September 21st 04, 11:55 PM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:28:16 -0700, Will >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>Yeah, but I can't even google anyone else saying it was common knowledge
>he used them.

Yeah, well, I didn't hear it on the Internet either.

Keith Hobman
September 22nd 04, 12:53 AM
In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:13:20 -0700, Will >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >In article >,
> > John Hanson > wrote:

Hobman)

Ed Coan

> >> I don't know why. It seemed to me to be pretty common knowledge.
> >
> >I can't seem to google it either. Are you sure you're not thinking of
> >Ed Coan?
>
> No. I don't believe he put it in writing anywhere. I've been told it
> is common knowledge that he freely admitted to doing them.

That is quite a statement.

I'll pass on the common knowledge stuff. Mebbe we can ask him when we are
down there.

John Hanson
September 22nd 04, 01:39 AM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:53:45 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> No. I don't believe he put it in writing anywhere. I've been told it
>> is common knowledge that he freely admitted to doing them.
>
>That is quite a statement.
>
>I'll pass on the common knowledge stuff. Mebbe we can ask him when we are
>down there.

Okay.

zxcv
September 22nd 04, 02:14 AM
(Keith Hobman) wrote in message >...
> In article >, John Hanson
> > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:58:32 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

> Karowski will
> be lifting

> Hawk and

> (Ellis)

> > >Also my take. Still, 25% is a lot. But we'll see. Do you think he is going
> > >to be doing an 800 lb raw squat in Laughlin?
> > >
> > >Wouldn't doubt it, myself.
> >
> > Is he going to be drug tested?
>
> I doubt very much a guest lifter would be tested, John.
>
> FWIW, I imagine he was tested after his IPF World record of 455 (1,003
> lbs) in 1995. And Karwoski, like Coan, hits good depth even on his heavy
> attempts.
>
> Although Coan had some depth difficulties recently, I think as a raw lifter.

Coan lifter raw? How much? Where? When?

Pat Styles
September 22nd 04, 02:18 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:07:35 -0700, Will >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >In article >,
> > John Hanson > wrote:
> >> This is hearsay but I heard he did a cycle for a meet that he was
> >> going to only be helping in because he wanted to look big for the
> >> meet. It may or may not be true but it is something I heard and from
> >> a pretty credible source.
> >
> >I'd be careful throwing around allegations like that. IF it's true that
> >Cap'n Kirk is an admitted steroid user, it makes Martin Drake look like
> >a complete joke and fraud for inviting him to the meet. IF it's true.
> >I have no reason to believe it is true, but I was thinking something was
> >mighty fishy when Martin was dropping hints that had me thinking Ed Coan
> >might be the mystery guest lifter.
>
> The admitting to steroid use isn't a controversy.

It's a baseless allegation.

> >You don't want to get caught in another situation like when you accused
> >Jason of altering your posts on Deepsquatter.com.
>
> His domain and someone who he gave that sort of power to.

You're an ass.
ps

John Hanson
September 22nd 04, 02:33 AM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:18:33 -0700, "Pat Styles"
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:07:35 -0700, Will >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> >I'd be careful throwing around allegations like that. IF it's true that
>> >Cap'n Kirk is an admitted steroid user, it makes Martin Drake look like
>> >a complete joke and fraud for inviting him to the meet. IF it's true.
>> >I have no reason to believe it is true, but I was thinking something was
>> >mighty fishy when Martin was dropping hints that had me thinking Ed Coan
>> >might be the mystery guest lifter.
>>
>> The admitting to steroid use isn't a controversy.
>
>It's a baseless allegation.

The people who have talked about it said he talked about doing them
like a person would talk about working out. I didn't think it was a
big deal. It's not like he competes in a tested fed.

>> >You don't want to get caught in another situation like when you accused
>> >Jason of altering your posts on Deepsquatter.com.
>>
>> His domain and someone who he gave that sort of power to.
>
>You're an ass.

The people in control of his site are more of an ass.

Keith Hobman
September 22nd 04, 02:50 AM
In article >,
(zxcv) wrote:

> (Keith Hobman) wrote in message
> > In article >, John Hanson
> > > wrote:

> > Karowski will
> > be lifting

> > Hawk and

> > (Ellis)

> > > Is he going to be drug tested?
> >
> > I doubt very much a guest lifter would be tested, John.
> >
> > FWIW, I imagine he was tested after his IPF World record of 455 (1,003
> > lbs) in 1995. And Karwoski, like Coan, hits good depth even on his heavy
> > attempts.
> >
> > Although Coan had some depth difficulties recently, I think as a raw lifter.
>
> Coan lifter raw? How much? Where? When?

He was supposed to do a raw meet in the USPF in Texas a year or two ago.
AIR he injured his quad in the squat. Can't recall if it was during the
meet or prior to it.

Lyle McDonald
September 22nd 04, 03:29 AM
Keith Hobman wrote:

> In article >,
> (zxcv) wrote:

>>Coan lifter raw? How much? Where? When?
>

> He was supposed to do a raw meet in the USPF in Texas a year or two ago.
> AIR he injured his quad in the squat. Can't recall if it was during the
> meet or prior to it.

During. I was at that meet tho we got there after he had already gotten
hurt. Watched him bench some absurd amount raw. Just smooth with no
stalling. A definite contrast to the geared guys who would have the bar
fly off their chest and then just freeze short of lockout.

Lyle

Will
September 22nd 04, 03:53 AM
In article >,
(Keith Hobman) wrote:

> In article >, John Hanson
> > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:13:20 -0700, Will >
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

> Hobman)

> skating vert

> hi-bar

> think

> on his

> of it's

> lifter
> committed

> true that
> look like
> true.
> something was
> Ed Coan

> > >I can't seem to google it either. Are you sure you're not thinking of
> > >Ed Coan?
> >
> > No. I don't believe he put it in writing anywhere. I've been told it
> > is common knowledge that he freely admitted to doing them.
>
> That is quite a statement.
>
> I'll pass on the common knowledge stuff. Mebbe we can ask him when we are
> down there.

I talked to a couple of my workout partners tonight, who've been around
for decades. The both thought Kirk probably did use, but didn't know of
any proof or admission on his part. I don't buy the "common knowledge"
argument. Even though I've had my disagreements with Martin, it's hard
to imagine he'd invite Kirk if it was an established fact he'd used.

John Hanson
September 22nd 04, 04:05 AM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:53:25 -0700, Will >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >,
> (Keith Hobman) wrote:
>
>> In article >, John Hanson
>> > wrote:

>> Hobman)

>> skating vert

>> hi-bar

>> think

>> on his

>> of it's

>> lifter
>> committed

>> true that
>> look like
>> true.
>> something was
>> Ed Coan

>> > No. I don't believe he put it in writing anywhere. I've been told it
>> > is common knowledge that he freely admitted to doing them.
>>
>> That is quite a statement.
>>
>> I'll pass on the common knowledge stuff. Mebbe we can ask him when we are
>> down there.
>
>I talked to a couple of my workout partners tonight, who've been around
>for decades. The both thought Kirk probably did use, but didn't know of
>any proof or admission on his part. I don't buy the "common knowledge"
>argument. Even though I've had my disagreements with Martin, it's hard
>to imagine he'd invite Kirk if it was an established fact he'd used.

Well, I guess I was wrong. Sure seemed like common knowledge to me
though. Maybe it is more of an inner circle knowledge as I heard if
from someone who trained with another USPF world record holder that
knows him quite well.

zxcv
September 22nd 04, 02:55 PM
Lyle McDonald > wrote in message >...
> Keith Hobman wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > (zxcv) wrote:
>
> >>Coan lifter raw? How much? Where? When?
> >

> > He was supposed to do a raw meet in the USPF in Texas a year or two ago.
> > AIR he injured his quad in the squat. Can't recall if it was during the
> > meet or prior to it.
>
> During. I was at that meet tho we got there after he had already gotten
> hurt. Watched him bench some absurd amount raw. Just smooth with no
> stalling. A definite contrast to the geared guys who would have the bar
> fly off their chest and then just freeze short of lockout.
>
> Lyle

Don't leave me hanging! What did he squat and bench?

Keith Hobman
September 22nd 04, 08:00 PM
In article >,
(zxcv) wrote:

> Lyle McDonald > wrote in message
> > Keith Hobman wrote:

> > > He was supposed to do a raw meet in the USPF in Texas a year or two ago.
> > > AIR he injured his quad in the squat. Can't recall if it was during the
> > > meet or prior to it.
> >
> > During. I was at that meet tho we got there after he had already gotten
> > hurt. Watched him bench some absurd amount raw. Just smooth with no
> > stalling. A definite contrast to the geared guys who would have the bar
> > fly off their chest and then just freeze short of lockout.
> >
> > Lyle
>
> Don't leave me hanging! What did he squat and bench?

http://www.texasuspf.net/2003TXCup.html

-------

The INCOMPARABLE Ed Coan brought quite an impressive crew from Quads Gym
and since this was his first meet in nearly a year and a half since a
devastating knee injury, lifted extremely conservatively. Like Josh, he
too went ³un-equipped²:

Ed toyed with his 760 squat opener but twinged his right upper thigh
slightly on 804 and bailed; he didn¹t want to take any chances on a ³real²
injury so passed on any further squat attempts. Ed then posted a token 501
BP, finally toyed with laughably EZ 705 DL. Total= 1967 and another ticket
to the Mountaineer Cup series in June 2004.

--------

Note that although he lifted raw he had made a comment after his
suspension from the IPF for drug use along the line of 'they would see how
much he could lift if he was using'. 'Nuff said.