PDA

View Full Version : Here's one for you... (help with weights request!)

Kirubiru
September 21st 04, 12:03 AM
Hi,

I hope that someone can help... I am on the verge of joining a very small
local 'gym' and am looking for a little help from the newsgroup.

Here's the situation... I am looking to build some strength/bulk, I'd
probably describe myself as a great 'blank kanvas' for a Trainer! I am 27
and currently weigh in at a massive 9 1/2 stone! (60KG) no, really I do...
and (as if you can't guess from that) would say that I have a 'slight'
build. I play football at the weekends at the moment and have for around 4
years, am happy with my endurance levels very self motivated and willing to
learn. but need a little help with starting on the right foot.

I don't want to end up looking massively muscular by any stretch of the
imagination, I do however want to improve my strength. If anyone can help
with any idea on what sort of repetitions/weights I should be carrying out
on which machines it'd be great! And if there are any 'nutrition' foods,
drinks, supplements etc that are widely accepted as helpful to the cause??

Sorry if the above sounds too vague!

Any help very much appreciated!

Lee Michaels
September 21st 04, 12:55 AM
"Kirubiru" > wrote

> I don't want to end up looking massively muscular by any stretch of the
> imagination, I do however want to improve my strength.

You have better chances of winning the lottery than becoming massively
muscular. As a newbie, virtually anything you do will result in gains. Just
don't push too hard and hurt yourself.

Green Apple Health
September 21st 04, 07:08 AM
Hi Kirubiru,
First of all, what's wrong with looking massively muscular? Secondly, don't
be afraid of this - it takes a GREAT deal of work to look this way. If it
didn't, Arnold Schwarzenegger wouldn't have become so popular!

So, what about you? Well, for some advice on strength training, you'll want
to check out:
www.greenapplehealth.com for some free advice on nutrition, exercise,
supplements, etc. There are tons of articles you can surf through. Plus we
have a resource page with links to other great sites for you!

Enjoy!

--
Sincerely,
M. E. Giesbrecht

Visit our Fitness Resources:
www.greenapplehealth.com/resources/dietsupplementsrevealed.htm
www.greenapplehealth.com/resources/musclebuildingnutrition.htm
www.greenapplehealth.com/resources/seriousstrengthtraining.htm
www.greenapplehealth.com/resources/losethebackpain.htm
www.greenapplehealth.com/resources/achievefitness.htm
www.greenapplehealth.com/resources//guaranteedweightloss.htm

"Kirubiru" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I hope that someone can help... I am on the verge of joining a very small
> local 'gym' and am looking for a little help from the newsgroup.
>
> Here's the situation... I am looking to build some strength/bulk, I'd
> probably describe myself as a great 'blank kanvas' for a Trainer! I am 27
> and currently weigh in at a massive 9 1/2 stone! (60KG) no, really I do...
> and (as if you can't guess from that) would say that I have a 'slight'
> build. I play football at the weekends at the moment and have for around
> 4 years, am happy with my endurance levels very self motivated and willing
> to learn. but need a little help with starting on the right foot.
>
> I don't want to end up looking massively muscular by any stretch of the
> imagination, I do however want to improve my strength. If anyone can help
> with any idea on what sort of repetitions/weights I should be carrying out
> on which machines it'd be great! And if there are any 'nutrition' foods,
> drinks, supplements etc that are widely accepted as helpful to the cause??
>
> Sorry if the above sounds too vague!
>
> Any help very much appreciated!

Helgi Briem
September 21st 04, 10:32 AM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:03:55 +0100, "Kirubiru"
> wrote:

>I don't want to end up looking massively muscular by any stretch of the
>imagination,

There is no chance at all that this will happen against your
will. Getting "massively muscular" is extremely difficult and
requires years of hard work, dedication and attention.

> I do however want to improve my strength.

So lift weights.

>If anyone can help with any idea on what sort of repetitions/weights
>I should be carrying out

Do 2-3 sets of each exercise, starting with 2. Do 5-10 reps each
set. Start with a weight well below what you can handle and
gradually move up, adding weights each week to begin with.
Later this will become impossible. Don't go to failure regularly.

Start with the following exercises:

Squat
Deadlift
Bench press ( or overhead press or dip)
Chinup (or pulldown or row)

I would add back extension and an ab exercise. You
may add bicep curls or a tricep exercise if you wish, but
only after the big lifts are finished.

>on which machines it'd be great!

Don't use machines. Machines force you to lift badly and fail
to recruit important stabiliser muscles.

>And if there are any 'nutrition' foods, drinks, supplements
>etc that are widely accepted as helpful to the cause??

Eat normal food and plenty of it. You are unlikely to need
supplements. Get plenty of protein, around 2g/kg BW (1g/lb)
is about right. I like milk as a protein supplement.

Read http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html. Ignore
the bit which says it's for women.

For details on how to perform the exercises, go to
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Kirubiru
September 21st 04, 09:58 PM
> You have better chances of winning the lottery than becoming massively
> muscular. As a newbie, virtually anything you do will result in gains.
> Just
> don't push too hard and hurt yourself.

Cheers Lee, that was one of the reasons for posting really (and someone else
responded too) about not pushing too hard and just to take it easy to start
with.

Kirubiru
September 21st 04, 10:05 PM
"Green Apple Health" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi Kirubiru,
> First of all, what's wrong with looking massively muscular? Secondly,
> don't be afraid of this - it takes a GREAT deal of work to look this way.
> If it didn't, Arnold Schwarzenegger wouldn't have become so popular!

Hi, I dont think that there is anything wrong with being 'that' big but it
is not my goal.
But fair play to people that are for that as i can see that it takes a great
deal of personal drive to get there!!

> So, what about you? Well, for some advice on strength training, you'll
> want to check out:
> www.greenapplehealth.com for some free advice on nutrition, exercise,
> supplements, etc. There are tons of articles you can surf through. Plus we
> have a resource page with links to other great sites for you!

Thanks for the link, I'll go there and have a look!