PDA

View Full Version : Wanna Gain Weight?... Eat More Calories... No Eat More Protein... No Eat More Carbs... No Take More Supplements...

John Ra
September 21st 04, 02:20 AM
I wrote this several months ago. Here is my current progress. In three
months, I'll be taking new pics and posting on another bodybuilding
forum I go to, where we're having a little competition of best before
and after progress.

http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/front01.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/front02.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/back01.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/back02.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/leg01.jpg

Here's my website, still needs a little tweaking:

http://home.earthlink.net/~hardgainer/

Cheers!

---

Subject: Wanna Gain Weight?... Eat More Calories... No Eat More
Protein... No Eat More Carbs... No Take More Supplements...
Newsgroups: misc.fitness.weights
Date: 2004-03-04 21:52:58 PST

"Just eat more pasta." F**k you! I'm sick of all these contradicting
answers ...

I have tried -- for almost 4 years now -- to gain weight, be it fat or
muscle
mass. All to no avail. Everytime I try something new for weeks to
months at a
time and get absolutely no results, I say to myself "I'll try
something new,
once more, and if I don't get anything from that, I'll quit." But I've
said this
countless times now, and I keep on trying because this is all I know.
At the age
of 17 I decided to start doing knuckle pushups, crunchies and legups
every other
day. Aside from the occasional slack, I stayed on this for 5 years.
Then came
diets, then came kickboxing, then came eating a Digiorno pizza every
night right
before I went to bed, etc. Years go by and nothing happens. But again
I'll never
quit because I've been doing this for so long, I really wouldn't know
how to
quit. But I'm so frustrated right now, I wanna curl up in a ball and
cry. Mostly
for how long I've been trying to do this and how little I've
progressed. There
seems to be no perfect answer out there, but I'm writing this as a cry
for help
to a newsgroup that I've googled many times in the past. Because I
think that,
maybe here, someone won't let ego or know-it-all get in the way of
what might be
a better answer to gaining weight.

My stats are:

- 6'4"
- 165 lbs
- 25 years old
- 6% body fat (no sh*t, I am what is called a "hardgainer" with "lean
genes")
- I consume anywhere from 2 to 3.5 to 4 kcals a day
- the above, along with fair skin, german features and blonde hair,
makes me
look like a f**king vampire

I have tried the following meal replacement shakes at length:

- Carbo Fuel (or whatever, it was a longtime ago)
- GNC Weight Gainer 1250 (or something, in french vanilla, tasted
awful)
- GNC Creatine (I'm clueless about this stuff)
- EAS Myoplex (best tasting but most expensive; someone told me it was
more for
people trying to cut than to gain)
- Whey Protein Powder (awful, simply ... awful)
- Twinlab Weight Gainer 2500 (I'm on this now; strawberry is
tolerable; I'm
worried that it has too much of the quick carbs and not enough of
protein)

I have scoured the following websites at length:

http://www.foodcount.com/Index.cfm?Method=Diet.Planner
http://www.hardgainer.com/
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html
http://www.dietitian.com/ibw/ibw.html

I even gave this website money:

http://www.gainweightnow.com/

I'm not a newb. I've come across probably every single type of answer
to "how to
gain muscle mass" short of "start taking steroids."

- "Start using protein shakes." ... "No, protein is bad for your bones
and will
actually make you lose weight."
- "In order to gain weight, you need to eat more carbs." ... "No,
carbs will
just make you fat and, depending on your metabolism, less carbs might
be just as
important as more carbs."
- "You just need to eat more."

So far, the best results I have received have not been from
supplemental shakes
or listening to anyone's contradicting advice but from drinking more
water and
joining a gym (although I really haven't gained any weight, my muscles
seem more
defined). If I cheat or slack for a little over a week or two, I lose
about 1 to
2 months worth of gains, which is maddening. Someone told me that
certain
nutrients from food are important at certain times of day: carbs when
you wake
up, before you work out, protein after you work out and before you go
to bed,
etc.

I come to you now, with the following question, because of all the
things I'm
doing to gain muscle (weight), what to eat and when to eat it seems to
be the
hardest and most frustrating:

In bulking up, be it fat or muscle, which is more important, carbs or
protein?
If they're both just as important, what part of the day should they be
consumed?
Given my body size and based on the answer to the previous
question(s), how much
of it do I need to eat per day? What in the sam-hell do I need to do
to get out
of this skinny body?

Thank you for reading this far. Please help me. :*(

---

Protein... No Eat More Carbs... No Take More Supplements...
Newsgroups: misc.fitness.weights
Date: 2004-05-18 12:52:19 PST

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=ZAU1c.22257%24aT1.10284%40newsread1 .news.pas.earthlink.net

I posted this thread here about 2 months ago. Here's some of the
advice I've tried that seems to be helpful:

- Try 5,000. Not gaining on 5,000? Try 6,000.

I'm at about 4,500.

- Peanut butter. (I eat about two PBJ sandwiches a day, but maybe I'll
start adding more PB, and PB on bananas sounds good.)

Mixes well in my shakes.

- 125g of protein a day (more milk and chicken, I guess.)

I'm at around 175.

- Start drinking a gallon of milk every day. Work your way up to three
gallons a day.

Probably the best advice of all. Inexpensive and nutrient rich. I
drink lots of it when I'm not eating breakfast or lunch or dinner or
snacks. It makes you pee a lot though.

Now here's some advice that I didn't receive from this forum but has
helped as well:

- Muscle Milk

Worth the money! Best taste and best cocktail of supplements and
nutrients. Those weight gain shakes that say 1250 or 2250 calories per
serving taste awful and are junk nutrients. I add 4 tablespoons of PB,
lots of milk, 1 banana, a cup of oatmeal and Creatine to two servings
of MM and drink it throughtout the day. If you search the Net a bit,
you'll find it for about $18 a container.

- Increased weightlifting

I devised a 6 day routine where I wouldn't have to take breaks so much
as before yet not overtrain at the same time. I keep arms away from
back and chest away from shoulders, with leg and ab days as my
"breaks".

- NO2

By increasing my routines, I decided to look for a supp that was
basically a legal form of steroids. It's funny because I've only been
using a gym for less than a year now, yet I've tried supps prior to
this with no gain. It's funny because once I joined a gym, I ignored
the thought of going back to supps and was like "I'll just gain
naturally." Nah, too slow! So I asked a nutritionist about something
that would help me get more reps in, increase blood flow and rebuild
faster, and they recommended NO2. If anything, the energy and blood
flow each day is worth the price. I feel pumped.

- Creatine

Going back to my ignorance of supps, I decided to give this a shot
again. I've only been loading for about 5 days now, so it'll be awhile
before I notice anything.

In any case, I posted this thread 2 months ago and slowly but surely
took the advice that I saw here. Since then I've gained 13 pounds.
I'll check into bodyfat calculating at home, but I'm certain that most
of this isn't fat. Thank you for your help and for not being arrogant
like some forums I've approached for advice. I was going to post
pictures, but I'll start that later. Thanks again! :)

Wayne S. Hill
September 21st 04, 02:37 PM
John Ra wrote:

> I wrote this several months ago. Here is my current
> progress. In three months, I'll be taking new pics and
> posting on another bodybuilding forum I go to, where we're
> having a little competition of best before and after
> progress.
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/front01.jpg
> http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/front02.jpg
> http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/back01.jpg
> http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/back02.jpg
> http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/leg01.jpg
>
> Here's my website, still needs a little tweaking:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~hardgainer/
>
> Cheers!

You could have taken the before and after pics on the same day.

--
-Wayne

bunnyKilla
September 21st 04, 02:46 PM
Wayne S. Hill wrote:
> John Ra wrote:
>

>>I wrote this several months ago. Here is my current
>>progress. In three months, I'll be taking new pics and
>>posting on another bodybuilding forum I go to, where we're
>>having a little competition of best before and after
>>progress.
>>
>>http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/front01.jpg
>>http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/front02.jpg
>>http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/back01.jpg
>>http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/back02.jpg
>>http://home.earthlink.net/~john_ra/leg01.jpg
>>
>>Here's my website, still needs a little tweaking:
>>
>>http://home.earthlink.net/~hardgainer/
>>
>>Cheers!
>

> You could have taken the before and after pics on the same day.

They're just the before i think, we probably have to wait 3 months for
the after pics.

go for it, goodluck

bunnykilla

Jorge
September 21st 04, 06:57 PM
Have you considered paying a visit to your Doctor?

Friend of mine started to lose weight and he thought it was because he
was doing a lot of cardio. He was always an avid soccer and basketball
player. Turns out he had a thyroid malfunction and so we went under
treatment and now he's back to normal.

John Ra
September 29th 04, 04:22 AM
(Jorge) wrote in message >...

> Have you considered paying a visit to your Doctor?
>
> Friend of mine started to lose weight and he thought it was because he
> was doing a lot of cardio. He was always an avid soccer and basketball
> player. Turns out he had a thyroid malfunction and so we went under
> treatment and now he's back to normal.

I thought this once and took a thyroid test a couple years ago and
came out fine. My doctor said he had the same problem and couldn't
wear a bathing suit until he got married and didn't care anymore. I'm
basically just a super hardgainer.