PDA

View Full Version : Weight Plates - Cast Iron?

UK2
September 21st 04, 09:27 PM
Hi , typical skinny guy here been weight training for a few months
with cheap plastic/vinyl set I have.

The problem I have is is that i cannot fit anymore weight on the
dumbell so have decided to buy some heavier plates, however not sure
exactly what to do as I havent the money to buy more than a few new
plates rather than a whole set right now - are iron plates much
slimmer/cumbersome than the ones I am using? Would I be better off
getting a couple of 5Lb plates or 4 2.5ib plates? are 5lb iron plates
too big and unweildy to be used on a dumbell, the 6lb vinyl plates I
have look huge and I cant use them other than on a barbell.

Any advice would be appreciated

brian doyle
September 21st 04, 09:51 PM
UK2 > wrote in message
> Hi , typical skinny guy here been weight training for a few months
> with cheap plastic/vinyl set I have.
>
> The problem I have is is that i cannot fit anymore weight on the
> dumbell so have decided to buy some heavier plates, however not sure
> exactly what to do as I havent the money to buy more than a few new
> plates rather than a whole set right now - are iron plates much
> slimmer/cumbersome than the ones I am using? Would I be better off
> getting a couple of 5Lb plates or 4 2.5ib plates? are 5lb iron plates
> too big and unweildy to be used on a dumbell, the 6lb vinyl plates I
> have look huge and I cant use them other than on a barbell.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated

Cast iron plates are much more dense than cement filled vinyl "plates". The
result is that cast iron plates are much smaller and less cumbersome for the
same weight.

I'm just looking at a few of my weights and the 11 pound cast iron plate is
the same diameter and about half the width of a 5 lb vinyl plate. And a 5.5
pound cast iron plate is slightly smaller than a 2.5 pound vinyl weight.

A 22 pound cast iron plate fits just fine on a dumbbell, it isn't unwieldy
or cumbersome.

Also, cast iron weights are just about indestructible and will last a
lifetime. Vinyl weights are generally crap and split easily, resulting in
the cement/sand inside spilling out.

ziggy-wiggy
September 22nd 04, 12:52 PM
> as I havent the money to buy more than a few new
> plates rather than a whole set right now -

if you can't afford a set of cast iron weights, IMO you'd get better results
sticking with your current set and concentrating on your diet. If you're a
skinny guy, you need to consume plenty of carbs and protein. Eats lots of
food.

I'm a skinny guy and I'm spending 60 quid per month on roasted chickens
alone.

Wayne S. Hill
September 22nd 04, 02:05 PM
UK2 wrote:

> Hi , typical skinny guy here been weight training for a few
> months with cheap plastic/vinyl set I have.
>
> The problem I have is is that i cannot fit anymore weight on
> the dumbell so have decided to buy some heavier plates,
> however not sure exactly what to do as I havent the money to
> buy more than a few new plates rather than a whole set right
> now - are iron plates much slimmer/cumbersome than the ones
> I am using? Would I be better off getting a couple of 5Lb
> plates or 4 2.5ib plates? are 5lb iron plates too big and
> unweildy to be used on a dumbell, the 6lb vinyl plates I
> have look huge and I cant use them other than on a barbell.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated

Look for used weights in want ads, yard sales, etc. You
shouldn't have to pay more than 25 cents per lb (often 10 cents
per lb), and I've actually been given plenty of plates by people
who just wanted them gone. Look for 2.5, 5, and 10 lb plates in
particular (mostly 5's and 10's). The 25-lbers are too big to
be practical on DB's.

--
-Wayne