PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Weight

Lyle McDonald
September 21st 04, 11:25 PM
IanB wrote:

> I am a pretty slim guy 5'8 just over 140Lb. I have been weight training for
> a few months now and although I look bigger in the right places - chest
> shoulders etc... I actually lost weight (mainly due to losing the spare tyre
> I was developing I have to say).
>
> I have been looking at a few websites notable skinnyguy.net which claims
> huge weight gains can be made in as little as 12 weeks -- is this for real?
> How much wieght can i reasonably put on a month in muscle in say a month if
> i follow the advice on these sites? Although I look much more defined I
> really want to put on a bit of bulk

You can reasonably be expected to put on 2 lbs of muscle/month or 20-25
lbs a year with decent training and eating.

Lyle

Dot
September 22nd 04, 06:29 PM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
> IanB wrote:
>
>> I am a pretty slim guy 5'8 just over 140Lb. I have been weight training
>> for
>> a few months now and although I look bigger in the right places - chest
>> shoulders etc... I actually lost weight (mainly due to losing the spare
>> tyre
>> I was developing I have to say).
>>
>> I have been looking at a few websites notable skinnyguy.net which claims
>> huge weight gains can be made in as little as 12 weeks -- is this for
>> real?
>> How much wieght can i reasonably put on a month in muscle in say a month
>> if
>> i follow the advice on these sites? Although I look much more defined I
>> really want to put on a bit of bulk
>
> You can reasonably be expected to put on 2 lbs of muscle/month or 20-25
> lbs a year with decent training and eating.
>
> Lyle

I somehow gained 15lbs in my first three months of training back when I was
17 years old. Pretty sure it was all muscle cuz I was still a skinny runt
but I could be wrong. I wasn't even eating all that well but I guess just
the shock of everything worked for me. Went from 135 to 150 at almost 6
feet tall. At the age of 25 I'm now 185ish so the gains definitely come a
lot slower after the initial beginner stage!

Helgi Briem
September 23rd 04, 10:46 AM
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:29:02 GMT, "Dot" > wrote:

>I somehow gained 15lbs in my first three months of training back when I was
>17 years old. Pretty sure it was all muscle cuz I was still a skinny runt
>but I could be wrong. I wasn't even eating all that well but I guess just
>the shock of everything worked for me. Went from 135 to 150 at almost 6
>feet tall. At the age of 25 I'm now 185ish so the gains definitely come a
>lot slower after the initial beginner stage!

17 year old boys are on an intense course of steroids,
courtesy of mother nature. People tend to forget that.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

IanB
September 23rd 04, 10:06 PM
I am a pretty slim guy 5'8 just over 140Lb. I have been weight training for
a few months now and although I look bigger in the right places - chest
shoulders etc... I actually lost weight (mainly due to losing the spare tyre
I was developing I have to say).

I have been looking at a few websites notable skinnyguy.net which claims
huge weight gains can be made in as little as 12 weeks -- is this for real?
How much wieght can i reasonably put on a month in muscle in say a month if
i follow the advice on these sites? Although I look much more defined I
really want to put on a bit of bulk

I have upped my protein alot in the last few days and have actually noticed
pretty big gains in strength if not size. I am aiming to move from 10st to
11st (140 to about 154Lb) before Xmas is this a reasonable goal?

Incidently I have found that the only way I can gain any mass on my legs is
to play football (soccer) regularly, no matter what leg exercises I did not
until the last couple months when I have been playing football every week
had I noticed any difference - now they feel much bigger.

Robert B.
September 29th 04, 03:14 PM
In article >, says...

> You can reasonably be expected to put on 2 lbs of muscle/month or 20-25
> lbs a year with decent training and eating.
>
> Lyle

How about us older guys? I'm 50 and wonder how much muscle I can reasonably expect to gain
over the next year or so if I train hard and eat right.

-Robert